Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #4501
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
What is the significance of Vandy abstaining?

They like to abstain. Courteously.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #4502
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like all the hurdles are cleared. SEC chairman..........

Quote:
"After receiving unanimous written assurance from the Big 12 on September 2 that the Southeastern Conference was free to accept Texas A&M to join as a new member, the presidents and chancellors of the SEC met last night with the intention of accepting the application of Texas A&M to be the newest member of the SEC. We were notified yesterday afternoon that at least one Big 12 institution had withdrawn its previous consent and was considering legal action. The SEC has stated that to consider an institution for membership, there must be no contractual hindrances to its departure. The SEC voted unanimously to accept Texas A&M University as a member upon receiving acceptable reconfirmation that the Big 12 and its members have reaffirmed the letter dated September 2, 2011."

A&M should comment today or tomorrow and then we wait for OU/OSU to pull the trigger.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #4503
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

All the hurdles except Baylor's withdrawn consent. SEC just put the ball back in the Big 12/Baylor's court. I think A&M will stay quiet, or at least, won't be talking about acceptance by SEC. Maybe they'll take some shots at Baylor in the media.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-07-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #4504
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Example:

November 26th: Ohio State ( 9-2, 6-1 conference record, division championship clinched) vs. Michigan (9-2, 7-0 division clinched)

December 3rd: Ohio State vs. Michigan (Big Ten Championship)

"The Game" on the 26th may as well be a NFL exhibition game, since it's completely meaningless. At minimum, you have to move the game away from the last game of the year, which will cause Michigan/Ohio State fans to have a rare moment of agreement and burn down the Big Ten conference offices.

Heck, speaking as someone rooting for Florida State in 1996, rematches are incredibly overrated, especially when you pull what was basically a serious upset to knock off your rival only to have to play them again 5 weeks later for a national title.

This is your example? What world are you living in where Michigan and OSU run the table in the Big Ten?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #4505
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
All the hurdles except Baylor's withdrawn consent. SEC just put the ball back in the Big 12/Baylor's court. I think A&M will stay quiet, or at least, won't be talking about acceptance by SEC. Maybe they'll take some shots at Baylor in the media.

Deadline is Sept. 8th at 5:00 PM. Also, it should be noted that there's no option to withdraw consent if OU/OSU and Mizzou also leave this week as the B12 would be dissolved as a conference. This is an annoyance more than any real roadblock. Leave it to Ken Starr to be a pain in the ass.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #4506
Ksyrup

But that requires some pretty quick movement involving 3 other schools. I could see this slowing down, and the SEC extending that deadline until things are worked out.

I understand why Baylor is doing this - of all the Big 12 teams, I think they are the only one completely left out of any scenarios where they move to an AQ conference, right? Even KSU is rumored to hitch with KU in the Big East, and TTU to the Pac-xx with or without Texas. Baylor is fucked and rightfully taking a desperate shot at trying to stay at the big boy's table.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-07-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #4507
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
But that requires some pretty quick movement involving 3 other schools. I could see this slowing down, and the SEC extending that deadline until things are worked out.

I understand why Baylor is doing this - of all the Big 12 teams, I think they are the only one completely left out of any scenarios where they move to an AQ conference, right? Even KSU is rumored to hitch with KU in the Big East, and TTU to the Pac-xx with or without Texas. Baylor is fucked and rightfully taking a desperate shot at trying to stay at the big boy's table.

You're right, but it's not going to change the end game. This isn't a surprise to anyone. There's no real leg to stand on other than holding up the process for a day or two. Sounds like OU was trying to avoid any announcement on Friday due to Selmon funeral, so they'd have to wait a few days anyway if they can't do it tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #4508
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think that all Baylor is doing is extending the inevitable and making themselves undesireable to other conferences, including mid-majors. They hitched their wagons to Texas and Texas A&M and now are crying foul when the rest of the conference (who never wanted them in the first place) leaves because of their buddies.

Last edited by panerd : 09-07-2011 at 10:14 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #4509
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I think that all Baylor is doing is extending the inevitable and making themselves undesireable to other conferences, including mid-majors. They hitched their wagons to Texas and Texas A&M and now are crying foul when the rest of the conference (who never wanted them in the first place) leaves because of their buddies.

I'm not sure they're undesirable, but they definitely should be counting their blessings that they were able to stay in a BCS conference this long and should be thanking Texas lawmakers for that.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #4510
Ksyrup

espn4d Pat Forde
Maybe the greatest 5 days in Baylor athletic history: shock TCU on national TV, get ranked, roadblock A&M's getaway from Big 12.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #4511
Ksyrup

George Schroeder: Change is in the offing — and soon for Pac-12
Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #4512
Ksyrup

Ha!

JPosnanski Joe Posnanski
It could just be spam email, but I'm pretty sure I just got invited to join the Big 12.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #4513
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
espn4d Pat Forde
Maybe the greatest 5 days in Baylor athletic history: shock TCU on national TV, get ranked, roadblock A&M's getaway from Big 12.

...end up in the Sun Belt
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #4514
Ksyrup

Guess I forgot about Iowa State. This is from Bleacher Report:

Quote:
Here’s a list of the most likely destinations for all of the teams in the Big 12.

Texas A&M – SEC
Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech – Pac-12
Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State – Big East
Baylor, Iowa State – Mountain West/C-USA

Missouri, from all of the speculation I’ve seen, is not a target of the Big 10 though they nearly begged for admittance last year.

If they do get offered a spot, Iowa State would replace them in the Big East.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #4515
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sounds like Baylor has already backed down. Conference call at noon to let SEC know that all is kosher again.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #4516
Izulde
Head Coach

Meh. I don't like Baylor or Iowa State as schools and the whole Mountain West concept would kind of take a hit.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #4517
Ksyrup

Old 09-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #4518
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Why do these writers who cover the Pac-12 keep talking about how much more money Texas could make in the Pac-16? Texas doesn’t care about the size of the pie, just that their piece is the biggest. The fact that every team in the Pac-16 would be make a shit ton of money is really an argument against Texas joining.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #4519
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
Why do these writers who cover the Pac-12 keep talking about how much more money Texas could make in the Pac-16? Texas doesn’t care about the size of the pie, just that their piece is the biggest. The fact that every team in the Pac-16 would be make a shit ton of money is really an argument against Texas joining.

If that's the case, then shouldn't Texas be joining Baylor in trying to save the Big 12? Where else are they going to get their run of a conference? I can't imagine the ACC caving to them - or, if they did, I'd expect the ACC to turn out just like the Big 12 is about to.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #4520
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
If that's the case, then shouldn't Texas be joining Baylor in trying to save the Big 12? Where else are they going to get their run of a conference? I can't imagine the ACC caving to them - or, if they did, I'd expect the ACC to turn out just like the Big 12 is about to.

Texas is like an alcoholic. They just don't know when to stop. They've destroyed two conferences in 15 years. They're not going to change. They'll go sober for a couple years after this and then they'll be right back to causing problems again.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #4521
Ksyrup

I hope they go west.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #4522
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hope they go west.

Mountain West or Big Sky?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #4523
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

And now Billy Liucci says Baylor not stopping yet.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #4524
Ksyrup

They might be able to argue for 90% of the conference pie in that case.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #4525
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

TTRaider poster just reappeared over at Tigerboard. Said that Mizzou has been given the green light by the SEC once the Baylor speed bump is cleared.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #4526
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:

Texas did everything they could think of to save the Big 12. Accepting reality wasn't one of the things they could think of however. Once they insisted on the LHN Oklahoma was gone, and that's all she wrote.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #4527
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Texas is like an alcoholic. They just don't know when to stop. They've destroyed two conferences in 15 years. They're not going to change. They'll go sober for a couple years after this and then they'll be right back to causing problems again.

If they can find a way to ruin this prospective Pac-16, I'll be impressed. That isn't a conference that is dependent on Texas money like the other two.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #4528
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
If they can find a way to ruin this prospective Pac-16, I'll be impressed. That isn't a conference that is dependent on Texas money like the other two.

I'm certainly not implying that they'll 'ruin' it. But they'll definitely be a thorn in the side of those West Coast teams when they start looking for more revenue streams again in a couple years.

I don't really have any preference on where Mizzou lands out of the three big conferences, but I don't think you'd find a single Mizzou fan that wants to land in the same conference as Texas. They're more trouble than they're worth (literally).
Old 09-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #4529
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Texas did everything they could think of to save the Big 12. Accepting reality wasn't one of the things they could think of however. Once they insisted on the LHN Oklahoma was gone, and that's all she wrote.

Except that OU is trying to set up their own network, and are getting frustrated that it isn't happening as quickly as the LHN.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #4530
Ksyrup

Stewart Mandel:

Quote:
Independence is definitely one of the options Texas is pondering, but there's one big problem: Texas fields 17 athletic teams besides football, and they need a conference. Can you imagine trying to put together a 27-game basketball schedule as an independent? Or a 50-something game baseball schedule? That's why Notre Dame is in the Big East for all its other sports, Army and Navy in the Patriot League, BYU in the West Coast Conference. If the Big 12 dissolves, there's no logical landing spot for Texas' other teams. Do you think Rick Barnes wants to compete in the Mountain West? It's the biggest reason why Texas is still fighting to keep the Big 12 intact in some form.

My suggestion: Get the band back together. Re-create the Southwest Conference (mostly). Texas, Texas Tech, Houston, Rice, SMU, Baylor and maybe throw in UTEP and Tulsa. Only this time they'll call it the Longhorn Conference, and all games involving Texas will be shown on The Longhorn Network. The league probably won't get an AQ bid, but Texas won't need one. It will schedule Oklahoma, Notre Dame and BYU out of conference to impress the voters, and get its own qualification provision written into the BCS, a la the Irish. Problem solved.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-07-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #4531
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Except that OU is trying to set up their own network, and are getting frustrated that it isn't happening as quickly as the LHN.

Again, it's in response to the LHN. If there were a Big 12 network and no LHN, would any of this be happening right now?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #4532
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More PR releases in the ever-evolving soap opera. From A&M.....

Quote:
"We are certainly pleased with the action taken last night by the presidents and chancellors of the Southeastern Conference to unanimously accept Texas A&M as the league's 13th member. However, this acceptance is conditional, and we are disappointed in the threats made by one of the Big 12 member institutions to coerce Texas A&M into staying in Big 12 Conference. These actions go against the commitment that was made by this university and the Big 12 on Sept. 2. We are working diligently to resolve any and all issues as outlined by the SEC."

And an e-mail sent by KU to their donors........

Quote:
Dear Jayhawk:

Amid the latest round of conference realignment discussions, I want all KU alumni to know that Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little and Dr. Sheahon Zenger, KU athletics director, are aggressively pursuing the best possible outcome for KU. As the chancellor expressed yesterday, they will continue to keep our community informed.

The unsurpassed loyalty of the Jayhawk Nation is one of KU's greatest assets. Thanks for all you do to strengthen KU.

Rock Chalk!

Kevin J. Corbett, c’88
President
[email protected]
Old 09-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #4533
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Again, it's in response to the LHN. If there were a Big 12 network and no LHN, would any of this be happening right now?

If 75% of the teams in the Big 12 wanted a Big 12 network, that would have happened. Instead, they voted unanimously to allow teams to pursue individual deals for their Tier 3 rights. You can argue that Texas pushed for that option, but if it was such an unacceptable deal that it would cause teams to leave the conference, you'd think at least a quarter of the teams would have banded together and blocked it. That didn't happen.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #4534
Logan
Head Coach

Don't you people have jobs?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #4535
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Don't you people have jobs?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #4536
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
If 75% of the teams in the Big 12 wanted a Big 12 network, that would have happened. Instead, they voted unanimously to allow teams to pursue individual deals for their Tier 3 rights. You can argue that Texas pushed for that option, but if it was such an unacceptable deal that it would cause teams to leave the conference, you'd think at least a quarter of the teams would have banded together and blocked it. That didn't happen.

Except that agreement was reached at the point of a gun. Last year none of these other schools had and clear path to a new conference, so they accepted whatever was put in front of them to buy time. They may have voted for that agreement then, but they are voting with their feet now.

As far as Texas goes, I don't really blame them for over playing their hand. When you have such a good plan B in place why not push as hard as you can? But don't whine about being the painted as the bad guy when a few schools end up getting screwed.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #4537
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Except that agreement was reached at the point of a gun. Last year none of these other schools had and clear path to a new conference, so they accepted whatever was put in front of them to buy time. They may have voted for that agreement then, but they are voting with their feet now.

As far as Texas goes, I don't really blame them for over playing their hand. When you have such a good plan B in place why not push as hard as you can? But don't whine about being the painted as the bad guy when a few schools end up getting screwed.

This. I'm not going to say that Texas has to act in any way other than in the interest of Texas, but the whole 'but they voted for it' argument is amusing at best. It's just another way that Texas can pass the blame onto everyone but their own actions.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #4538
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
the whole 'but they voted for it' argument is amusing at best.

But it seems considerably more polite than simply saying outright that the rest of the conference lacked the balls to stand up to them ... but that's the bottom line of the picture you paint when you discredit the "voted for it" argument.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #4539
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But it seems considerably more polite than simply saying outright that the rest of the conference lacked the balls to stand up to them ... but that's the bottom line of the picture you paint when you discredit the "voted for it" argument.

You're absolutely right. Several of the B12 admins at other schools, especially in the North, have been blasted for this very reason. Hell, Osborne even called out some of those people on the way out the door last year.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #4540
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Sounds like original report that Baylor had backed down was correct. Sent fax at 8:05 AM to give their approval. B12 teleconference at noon will go on as planned. A&M to announce tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #4541
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
This. I'm not going to say that Texas has to act in any way other than in the interest of Texas, but the whole 'but they voted for it' argument is amusing at best. It's just another way that Texas can pass the blame onto everyone but their own actions.

It is amusing at best to lay the blame entirely on Texas.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #4542
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You're absolutely right. Several of the B12 admins at other schools, especially in the North, have been blasted for this very reason. Hell, Osborne even called out some of those people on the way out the door last year.

You do realize that Missouri (and Colorado) was one of the schools that voted with the south division on conference headquarters in Dallas as well as conference commissioner? I'm pretty sure Dr. Tom was taking a lot of shots at Missouri.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #4543
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Latest from Wilner on Texas & the Pac:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...ghorn-network/

Can't say I'm terribly surprised, though the idea that the Pac-12 isn't up to snuff academically for Texas amuses me.

I think it's all part of the negotiation dance. Texas doesn't want to feel forced into action by Oklahoma, and they probably think Oklahoma won't get into the Pac without them coming along too.

While I'm sure Scott would love to add the Sooners to the conference, a 14-team conference would be really awkward, and I don't see other schools from the Big-"12" that could be added that wouldn't result in the per team TV revenue take going down.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #4544
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
You do realize that Missouri (and Colorado) was one of the schools that voted with the south division on conference headquarters in Dallas as well as conference commissioner? I'm pretty sure Dr. Tom was taking a lot of shots at Missouri.

Thanks for repeating my point.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #4545
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Thanks for repeating my point.

If that's what you meant to say then why not come out and say it instead of saying "several schools especially in the north"? Missouri and Colorado's leadership now is a far cry from what it was during the early years of the Big 12. I have a feeling Alden and Deaton wouldn't have voted with the south at the time had they been in power. Chalk it up to some bad decisions by the old guard.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #4546
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
This is your example? What world are you living in where Michigan and OSU run the table in the Big Ten?

mckerney's suggestion was that splitting the teams up so they aren't in the same division and could meet up in the conference title game was the "right" way to go about preserving the rivalry.

So....that world. If they're both 6-5, who friggin' cares?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #4547
Ksyrup

@davidubben The only thing funnier than Texas A&M completely altering the landscape of college sports is Baylor halting it.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #4548
Ksyrup

@WhitesideUSAT: Iowa State says it has not waived its rights to sue either SEC or Texas A&M according to Des Moines Register
Old 09-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #4549
timmynausea
College Starter

I'll just predict right now that any SEC team of lawyers will crush Baylor and/or Iowa State 48-6. Too much speed.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #4550
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I'll just predict right now that any SEC team of lawyers will crush Baylor and/or Iowa State 48-6. Too much speed.

SEC Money perhaps; SEC schools, not so much (Vandy aside).
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote