Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2006, 08:39 PM   #4501
digamma
Torchbearer

I should also note, that I just found a draft preferences screen. It seems that before each draft, I can actually choose which positions I will pick in each round. So, I can buck the league's trend, but I'm tied to the settings I put down for the draft.

Hmm...
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:10 PM   #4502
ahbrady
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
I should also note, that I just found a draft preferences screen. It seems that before each draft, I can actually choose which positions I will pick in each round. So, I can buck the league's trend, but I'm tied to the settings I put down for the draft.

Now don't all of you making fun of the draft feel silly?
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:12 PM   #4503
ahbrady
High School JV

Quote:
We pretty much dominate Oakland and get an easy 26-3 win. We hold them to about 150 yards of total offense (sorry, I'm having to piece this together, as I can't find out how you can see a box score after a simmed game--I'm sure this is my fault).

It must be your computer. If your computer isn't up to par, you throw more interceptions and can't see box scores.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #4504
aran
High School Varsity

This is awesome! None of the features of the game actually work. At all. I thought the game would be bad, if not laughable, but finding out that inactive players are starting games not even at their natural positions is intensely hilarious. Depth charts are apparently just suggestions to the "AI". More like AUICG (Artificial UIC Generator).
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:54 AM   #4505
spcd
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
What is he talking about regarding the various network configurations? I thought the high-level language (whatever he's using) is supposed to take care of all that crap. That's why you use DirectX - you don't have to make the various calls for each graphics card. It's not like network programming is something new...

After 4 years of designing a game which depends on frame rate to improve completion percentage, and a stat based sim which can't keep inactive players from jumping onto the field, and a feature set where the paper doll uniform creation seems to be the most used feature, then I imagine network programming must seem like the work of a fucking Einstein.

I could never have believed that the dynasty report makes the game seem worse than I imagined it, I just wouldn't have thought that possible.
spcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #4506
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I think the greatest quote in that thread is:

Quote:
Very easy for a team to have over 300 yards rushing and still punt alot.

I'll be laughing about that for a while.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #4507
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Very versatile inactive player.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #4508
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Los Angeles 26

Derrer gets the start at quarterback and is an efficient 15-22, for 213 yards. He tosses 4 touchdown passes, though.

Two missed extra points?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:24 PM   #4509
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
Two missed extra points?

You've got to assume this has something to do with bad logic. My guess: You're up 14-3, then score your 3rd touchdown to make it 20-3. Naturally, a 19-point lead is better than an 18-point lead (this way, 6 field goals can't tie up the game). So they go for two, and miss. Then, at 26-3, they go for two again (this way, 8 more field goals for Oakland can only tie the game). They miss again, and the score remains 26-3. Either way, it takes Oakland 7 field goals to come back and win.

Or maybe they figure it out based on rouges.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:59 AM   #4510
Dutch
"Dutch"

....or fps.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:32 PM   #4511
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
Two missed extra points?

Yep. My main man Andreas missed two PATs.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:15 AM   #4512
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yep. My main man Andreas missed two PATs.

Must have been his low ratings...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #4513
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh god, this is side splittingly funny. I didn't realize that digamma was actually running a dynasty.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:04 AM   #4514
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Please stop making trouble.

Actually...

Please stop causing problems.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:15 AM   #4515
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Actually...

Please stop causing problems.

That's the beauty of the phrase. It is so customizable!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:45 AM   #4516
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's the beauty of the phrase. It is so customizable!
Ah, i get it

please stop cause problem
Old 06-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #4517
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Ah, i get it

please stop cause problem

See, now YOUR getting it...

Old 06-26-2006, 10:24 AM   #4518
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
See, now YOUR getting it...

Problem causing stop please.

I RLY GT IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #4519
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Plz stp cng prb
Old 06-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #4520
digamma
Torchbearer

Game two is in the books.

I'll try to get the report up tonight. I'm also going to try to "play" a game tonight instead of just simming them.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:32 PM   #4521
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Game two is in the books.

I'll try to get the report up tonight. I'm also going to try to "play" a game tonight instead of just simming them.

That's probably not be a good idea. Your computer might not be fast enough and it could screw up the stats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:53 PM   #4522
digamma
Torchbearer

Week 2 in the USMFL

The slate of games:

Miami at Philadelphia
Denver at Boston
Chicago at Oakland
Houston at Cleveland
Tampa at San Francisco
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
Dallas at Washington
New York at Los Angeles

Like pretty much everyone else, New York looks to be pretty good. Inactive quarterback Mike Figgs led them in week one with a 14-24 for 165 yard effort. He was one of the few players in the league to throw and interception, though, so maybe there's a chink in his armour.

I decide to start Nickenberry at quarterback this game, and make the changes on the depth chart to start him at QB and Wyatt at HB.

We jump out to a 21-10 lead at the half and hold on for a 28-17 win.

Nickenberry must have gotten tired or injured because he doesn't play as much as Derrer. Nickenberry is 9-14 for 65 yards and one touchdown. Derrer (I think, because remember, my computer isn't powerful enough to save box scores) is 17-25 for 211 yards and 3 TDs.

Dumesnil also finds a way to get himself back in the game getting 10 carries for 28 yards. Wyatt only carries the ball once.

Nevertheless, we're 2-0. The bad news is that Denver and San Francisco won also, so we all sit atop the division together.

Scores from the rest of the week:

Miami 17
Philadelphia 7

Denver 16
Boston 6

Chicago 7
Oakland 0

Houston 21
Cleveland 31

Tampa 24
San Francisco 28

Pittsburgh 6
Milwaukee 28

Dallas 21
Washington 7

On to week 3 and a stiff test vs. the 2-0 Cleveland Spartans.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:41 PM   #4523
digamma
Torchbearer

Week 3

The Schedule:

Washington at Boston
Dallas at Pittsburgh
Cleveland at Los Angeles
Milwaukee at Houston
Miami at Philadelphia
New York at Oakland
Chicago at San Francisco
Tampa at Denver

So, I decide to fully play out the game this week. I'm not going to coach the Comets (we'll save that for a future game), but just watch the game as it plays out.

We play Cleveland, who is 2-0, and looks to have a strong offense behind quarterback Walter Byron, who has thrown for 600 yards in the young season. Scott Holtrop has rushed for just over 200 yards. Somewhat strangely, Byron threw for 351 of his yards in their 10-6 win in week and just 240 or so in the week 2 win in which Cleveland put up 31 points.

Cleveland kicks off, and we're able to quickly stop them, 3 and out. We move the ball down the field on the ground and punch it in to take a 7-0 lead. After an interception (our first of the season!), we move the ball back down the field, partially with the help of a ten yard illegal contact penalty assessed at the end of a completed pass. Our offense stalls inside the 20 however, and we settle for a field goal, which by my calculation is 32 yards. Our stat keeper seems to have been busy at the beer tent and marks Soboleski down for a 55 yarder.

Cleveland answers with a nice drive and has first and goal at the one. At the risk of spoiling the rest of the summary, I think the next three plays were easily the defining plays of the game. On first down, Cleveland runs the ball to Holtrop, who looks like he's in. Unfortunately for Cleveland, he's not given the touchdown, and due to a new rule in play this year, the ball is marked back at the one yard line.

I had to check the rule book and Rule 7.14 reads something like this: "In the event a runner is tackled at a spot that would place the ball in between whole yard lines, the ball shall be placed on the yard line closest to the offensive team's own goal."

On second down, Byron rolls out for Cleveland and completes a pass to his tight end who has run his route four yards beyond the end of the end zone. Third and goal, we catch another break as Cleveland's wide out is about three yards out of bounds as he tries to haul in the reception. Cleveland settles for a field goal, which our stat keeper jots down as a 66 yarder, and the PA announcer calls a "risky" attempt.

We punt the ball back to Cleveland, holding on to our 10-3 lead. They can't do anything on offense, and we force them to punt back to us. Zittell breaks it for a 65 yard punt return.

We force a couple of more interceptions and are able to mount a drive at the end of the half. Our clock management is a bit questionable as we're down to 11 seconds left and faced with a third and one from the six, with the clock moving. Cleveland is actually nice enough to call a time out for us (though I think we had one available). We run a sweep and put it in for the score with eight seconds left. We're able to run a couple of more seconds off the clock on the extra point, and then end the half on the kick off. We head into the locker room up 24-3.

At halftime, we have 91 yards rushing to go along with 45 yards passing. Nickenberry is 6-11, with one TD and one INT. Cleveland has 12 rushing yards and 123 passing yards. Byron is 5-12 with 3 picks. In "Net Yards" we have 136 and Cleveland has 125. It seems they have the 10 yards from the illegal contact penalty (they were on defense) subtracted from their yardage total.

The second half opens with another kick off to Cleveland. Fortunately for all the Comet fans in the house, we stop them quickly. Unfortunately, we give the ball right back to them when Nickenberry throws his second pick of the game. Fortunately, Byron throws his fourth pick of the game to give us the ball back. Unfortunately, Nickenberry throws his third pick of the game and Cleveland has the ball again. This little game of ping pong finally ends as Cleveland completes a pass on 3rd and 17. Sensibly, the Cleveland receiver senses the teleportation powers of my team and runs out of bounds two yards shy of the first down despite having yards and yards of green grass in front of him.

We quickly move down the field and score and the rout is officially on. We add four second half touchdowns and cruise to a 52-3 win.

The final stats look a bit like this (we're able to track them because we played the game, Yay!):

Los Angeles: 213 rushing yards, 169 passing yards
Nickenberry 16-27, 4 TD, 5 INT
Zittell 7 catches for 109

Wyatt 17 carries, 111 yards
Dumesnil 11 carries, 73 yards

Cleveland: 16 rushing yards, 206 passing yards, (21 penalty yards) 205 net yards.
Byron 10-27, 0 TD, 9 INT

Vaeth had 4 INTs for the Comets, followed closely by Wayfield with 3.

We're flying high and off to a 3-0 start!

Elsewhere around the league:

Washington 7
Boston 10

Dallas 31
Pittsburgh 3

Houston 24
Milwaukee 31 OT

Miami 21
Philadelphia 6

New York 24
Oakland 9

Chicago 10
San Francisco 21

Tampa 17
Denver 28

One note--I check our team stats after the game, and find that on his 3 sacks, Nickenberry evidently lost 207.382232 yards. So happy we were able to overcome that.

We're 3-0 tied atop the division with Denver and San Francisco.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #4524
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My sides hurt from too much laughter.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:06 AM   #4525
Radii
Head Coach

This is the best dynasty in the history of FOFC.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #4526
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I think I am going to cry. This is really bad and I am actually feeling sorry for the fact that you are going through this painful experience. Regardless of that, you have to complete the season. I want to know how playoffs work.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:09 AM   #4527
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister
I want to know how playoffs work.

I'm guessing they don't
Old 06-27-2006, 12:11 AM   #4528
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm guessing they don't

Ok, then I want to see how broken it is.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:12 AM   #4529
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

my sides hurt from reading this. issues such as 3 sacks for -207 yards are just too comedic to be the result of an actual AI engine.

Anyone else thinking that Daivid Winters is actually Ashton Kutcher and we're all being PUNK'd??
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:12 AM   #4530
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Houston 24
Milwaukee 31 OT

Aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:08 AM   #4531
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon
Aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha.

I wondered if anyone would notice that! They played the whole overtime period.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:11 AM   #4532
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
We're 3-0 tied atop the division with Denver and San Francisco.

Quote:
I want to know how playoffs work.

As I said earlier in this thread, Digamma's team does not play Denver this season. So it will be interesting if they are both tied at the end of the regular season how the game determines the division winner......
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:16 AM   #4533
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm pretty sure it's already been discussed earlier in the thread that the game doesn't actually determine playoffs...it's left up to the user to pick teams for the playoffs.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:35 AM   #4534
hoopsguy
General Manager

So what house rules are you going to play with next season to try and make this game a real challenge?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:04 AM   #4535
QuikSand
lolzcat

Ooh! Ooh! I found another easter egg!

Quote:
After an interception (our first of the season!), we move the ball back down the field, partially with the help of a ten yard illegal contact penalty assessed at the end of a completed pass.

It's just wrong on so many levels... it's great!
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:17 AM   #4536
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Byron 10-27, 0 TD, 9 INT

I love it. He had more INTs than incompletions.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:21 AM   #4537
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Inactive quarterback Mike Figgs led them in week one with a 14-24 for 165 yard effort.

This line is still killing me. Oh man. I haven't even seen this reported on the Matrix boards.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #4538
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Cleveland settles for a field goal, which our stat keeper jots down as a 66 yarder, and the PA announcer calls a "risky" attempt.

Is there really a PA announcer or were you just editorialzing? That smacks me as truly amazing if he adds little details like PA announcing to a game, but somehow botches a simple thing like registering a simple 18 yard kick as a risky 66 yard attempt.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:28 AM   #4539
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
This line is still killing me. Oh man. I haven't even seen this reported on the Matrix boards.

He probably looked SO GOOD (in my best Teen Girl Squad voice) in the custom uni that they didn't have the heart to post the bug.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:29 AM   #4540
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Cleveland: 16 rushing yards, 206 passing yards, (21 penalty yards) 205 net yards.

Math must be customizable.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:44 AM   #4541
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Math must be customizable.

I think I figured out the math behind the 66 yard field goal from the 1 yard line.

50 yardline - 1 yard = 49 yard line. 49+17 = 66 yard field goal.

You see...it's all very reasonable when you look at it from the right angle.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:55 AM   #4542
Desmond
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I think I figured out the math behind the 66 yard field goal from the 1 yard line.

50 yardline - 1 yard = 49 yard line. 49+17 = 66 yard field goal.

You see...it's all very reasonable when you look at it from the right angle.

Sad thing is, that explanation makes perfect sense given the state of the game.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #4543
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Is there really a PA announcer or were you just editorialzing? That smacks me as truly amazing if he adds little details like PA announcing to a game, but somehow botches a simple thing like registering a simple 18 yard kick as a risky 66 yard attempt.

By PA announcer, I meant the play description given with the result of each play. It's a text box, much like a play summary in FOF or BBCF. The game did, indeed, call it a risky attempt.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #4544
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
By PA announcer, I meant the play description given with the result of each play. It's a text box, much like a play summary in FOF or BBCF. The game did, indeed, call it a risky attempt.

Now that's good stuff.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:54 AM   #4545
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We want week 4!
We want week 4!
Old 07-01-2006, 05:09 PM   #4546
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Thank you, digamma. And thank you Maximum Pratfall. I'm weeping with mirth.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #4547
aran
High School Varsity

I went to the matrix boards and posted a little look at the flaws of the game for someone who is trying to compare it to madden. Daivd himself answered my post. Occasional UIC abounds!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1148382

I'm evizaer.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #4548
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran
I went to the matrix boards and posted a little look at the flaws of the game for someone who is trying to compare it to madden. Daivd himself answered my post. Occasional UIC abounds!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1148382

I'm evizaer.

This was funny by Daivd Winters himself.

Quote:
Daivd Winters

It's David Winter actually.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #4549
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
We want week 4!
We want week 4!

Sigh.

I wanted to give you week 4 this morning in a game I actually coached. Unfortunately the game froze in the fourth quarter when I tried to sub in for a guy on defense who was fatigued.

We were leading San Francisco 27-20 when the game froze. That may be an important consideration later when play-off teams are selected.

Nevertheless, some observations from the partially played game.

The game is at Yerba Buena Park and there's a beautiful city skyline and trees in the background. Problem: you guessed it, the weather. It's 68 with no wind, because we're playing in a dome. (I think there's a link to a similar screen shot earlier in the thread.) The beer tent is still there though!

The field goal yardage bug continues, as Soboleski gets credit for kicks of 55, 55 and a risky 64 yarder, even though the longest of the 3 was 31.

We catch a break at the end of the first half when San Francisco is driving. They decline a "Rough Play" penalty that would have tacked ten yards onto the end of a completed pass. Then with 32 seconds left, they let the play clock run down to 10 seconds and call an inside run. They fumbled, so it didn't matter that they had called their one time out of the half.

Yep, that's right. Teams appear to get a single time out. Well, I should say that cpu teams appear to get a single time out a half. I can't for the life of me figure out how to call a time out in the game. Shouldn't something like that be readily apparent?

I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but when players go in motion or move before the play on defense, they often run into other players. SF hit a big pass play because my corner had gotten held up on the play by my linebacker.

I think I'm going to have to quick sim the rest of the games in the regular season. Then we can have some fun with the play-offs.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #4550
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Then we can have some fun with the play-offs.

Double elimination perhaps? With ties settled by longest field goal attempt?