Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #4451
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Is there a wrestling fan alive that gives the slightest shit about Bruno Sammartino? Every dollar paid to this fossil just got flushed down the toilet because he's not going to draw penny one for the WWE. Completely mind boggling.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #4452
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Is there a wrestling fan alive that gives the slightest shit about Bruno Sammartino? Every dollar paid to this fossil just got flushed down the toilet because he's not going to draw penny one for the WWE. Completely mind boggling.

Pretty much anyone who was a WWWF fan in the 60s or 70s. Or anyone who has any appreciation for the history of pro wrestling.

At least arguably the 3rd most important performer of the last 50 years in wrestling (behind only Flair & Hogan) this is nothing but a solid p.r. move and more importantly, it's the right thing to do.

And negotiating it might actually be the most legendary thing HHH has done (that didn't involve sleeping with Stephanie).
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #4453
Flasch186
Coordinator

Far behind getting Steph pregnant. Marrying her was A and then the next important thing he's done still only starts at J.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #4454
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Pretty much anyone who was a WWWF fan in the 60s or 70s.

I'm just curious how big of a fan base that is. Unless you went looking for that stuff, somebody would have to be 50-60 years old to really remember those days. It's absolutely the right thing to do, but I don't see it making a lot of financial sense.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #4455
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I'm just curious how big of a fan base that is. Unless you went looking for that stuff, somebody would have to be 50-60 years old to really remember those days. It's absolutely the right thing to do, but I don't see it making a lot of financial sense.

I dunno, I'm 45 and it's meaningful to me ... and I wasn't even a WWWF guy.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #4456
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Why does Hollywood remind us of Clark Gable and Charlie Chaplin? Why does the NFL remind us of Otto Graham and Jim Brown? Placing the current entertainment in the larger context of the whole adds heft and cachet to the entire enterprise. It adds legitimacy to the entertainment.

Sure, the typical 17 year old who just bought an RGIII jersey couldn't pick Johnny Unitas out of a photo lineup, and he probably will never be able to do so. But that does not mean that the NFL is being stupid every time it produces a 30 minute "NFL Films Presents" about him.

If you want to be around for the next 50 years, it helps to remind people of the last 50 years. The benefits are long-term and intangible, but they certainly exist.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 02-05-2013 at 11:03 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #4457
Comey
College Starter

Quote:

Remember you said this in 30 years, when people say the same about any sports star from this era...or wrestling, for that matter.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #4458
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I give a shit about Bruno.

I give much more of a shit about wrestling's past than the present. Good move, will probably get me to tune in when I know he's going to be there.

Last edited by dubb93 : 02-05-2013 at 11:18 AM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #4459
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm 40 and anything before Hogan is merely of passing interest. I watch old clips of wrestling, and it just comes off as tepid.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #4460
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

33 and me too, but we're the minority.

Also - say whatever you want about HHH, but his respect for the old-timers in the business is really great to see, and whatever else about it, it makes me root for the guy.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #4461
molson
General Manager

One thing about HHH that's never talked about much is that he's a New England guy, from Nashua, trained by Killer Kowalski in MA. I don't know if he was a fan growing up but he's from WWF country, and probably lived around a lot of Bruno fans.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #4462
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

He actually wrestled here in Franklin as part of Kowalski's New England fed, right before he was signed by WCW (as Terra Ryzing)
Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #4463
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
One thing about HHH that's never talked about much is that he's a New England guy, from Nashua, trained by Killer Kowalski in MA. I don't know if he was a fan growing up but he's from WWF country, and probably lived around a lot of Bruno fans.

I had remembered that Killer trained him, but I never realized he was actually from Nashua.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #4464
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

LOLWHAT?

Yo why ESPN still bringing up Babe Ruth?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #4465
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
LOLWHAT?

Yo why ESPN still bringing up Babe Ruth?

Or specifically in this case, still bringing up Bruno Sammartino

WWE to induct Bruno Sammartino into HOF - Sports Fans, Teams, Stadiums, Page 2 - Fandom Blog - ESPN Playbook - ESPN

Pretty good press. And Bruno's doing the Pittsburgh media rounds now. I don't know if you can put a $ value on all this, but any good press has to have a lot of brand value for this company.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #4466
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I don't think Bruno will draw a dime. That's not what it's about. It's about the WWE acknowledging that this giant period in history existed. That's a lot of years that suddenly reappear in the WWE timeline. He is one of the greats in this company and they finally get to recognize it. That makes it worth it.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #4467
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Spoiler
Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #4468
Suicane75
Coordinator

Learn how to use the spoiler tag.

God damn.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #4469
RainMaker
General Manager

That is impossible.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:03 AM   #4470
Suicane75
Coordinator

She's morphing into Adrian Adonis.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #4471
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Meth is a hell of a drug
Old 02-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #4472
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That is impossible.

Ex-WWE wrestler facing charges for 6th time in Branford assault case- The New Haven Register - Serving New Haven, Connecticut

Less than two years ago she was on Raw and looked rather normal so it is definitely on the recent side.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #4473
miami_fan
Coordinator

So uh anybody know who the fiance is?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #4474
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Any blind wrestlers?
Old 02-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #4475
BYU 14
Coordinator

Holy Shit....The Sun-ny has definitely set on her.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #4476
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Indy guy named Damien Darling.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #4477
General Mike
Pro Starter

Swagger busted for pot/ dui. Wrestlemania cancelled for Jack.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #4478
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

what a dumbass
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #4479
TLK
Pro Starter

I can't wait to see how the WWE writes this one...
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #4480
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I don't think the WWE has ever suspended anyone for pot or a DUI. Synthetic yes, but straight pot, no. RVD was "blackballed" and dropped the belt with his arrest.

His character/w Zeb is giving them plenty of publicity for free so I could see Mantel being the manager of another "true American"(maybe Orton?) while they keep Swagger off TV for a few weeks and his penalty will be winning over ADR just to have Zigs cash in immediately.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #4481
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
I don't think the WWE has ever suspended anyone for pot or a DUI. Synthetic yes, but straight pot, no. RVD was "blackballed" and dropped the belt with his arrest.

His character/w Zeb is giving them plenty of publicity for free so I could see Mantel being the manager of another "true American"(maybe Orton?) while they keep Swagger off TV for a few weeks and his penalty will be winning over ADR just to have Zigs cash in immediately.

I believe Orton was suspended for pot pre-Wellness Policy. And he's not going to lose the spot because he was smoking weed, but because he was the dumbass who got caught. Just like RVD.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #4482
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I believe Orton was suspended for pot pre-Wellness Policy. And he's not going to lose the spot because he was smoking weed, but because he was the dumbass who got caught. Just like RVD.

First time for Orton was steroids but he still worked on TV but go no pay for 30 days. His 2nd one was for smoking pot backstage(with Evan Borne I think). Since Swags is just caught with possession I would suspect I would expect the 30 days work without pay.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #4483
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
First time for Orton was steroids but he still worked on TV but go no pay for 30 days. His 2nd one was for smoking pot backstage(with Evan Borne I think). Since Swags is just caught with possession I would suspect I would expect the 30 days work without pay.

No, he got suspended in 2006 before the wellness policy for 2 months. It was for smoking pot in front of important people WrestleMania weekend
Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #4484
molson
General Manager

The WWE had been downright giddy over the media attention the Swagger angle has given them, there's no way they shut it down completely. They could move Zeb Coulter to someone else, or they could suspend Swagger for 30 days after Wrestlemania. The wellness policy is is only implicated when there's a failed drug test, and marijuana isn't a suspendable offense anyway, so they have some leeway.

It is kind of fun to see the WWE getting all frisky again, I guess Linda's campaign being over helps with that:

Zeb Colter and Jack Swagger address Glenn Beck - YouTube

(this video was put out today, which would seem to be good news for this angle and Swagger's push)

Last edited by molson : 02-22-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #4485
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Picture: Scott Hall Meets With DDP & Jake Roberts

I hope it works, but...
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #4486
Suicane75
Coordinator

I would bet money that Bruno could take all 3 of them in a fight right now.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #4487
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:

I always liked him..But then I grew up on wrestling in the late 70's on
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:32 AM   #4488
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Scotts looking rough, a part of me suspects having him and Jake in the house together is not a great idea.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #4489
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
Scotts looking rough, a part of me suspects having him and Jake in the house together is not a great idea.
When does this reality show come on? I will watch!
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #4490
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Dave , on DDP's youtube channel Diamond Dallas Page - YouTube They are pretty much just posting as they go as far as I know the stuff with Jake is pretty enjoyable.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #4491
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sad to hear of the passing of Paul Bearer (aka Percy Pringle, aka William Moody). Unspecified causes after prolonged health problems at the age of 58.

Slam Sports has a nice retrospective obit up.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #4492
molson
General Manager

I didn't know that he was actually a licensed mortician. Then I heard on Meltzer's audio update yesterday that he actually went back to that business around 2002 when his contract with the WWF ended. Imagine going into a real funeral home and running into Paul Bearer.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #4493
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Highly underrated as Percy Pringle IMO.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #4494
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I went to Raw last night in Indy and I put together a little album. http://imgur.com/a/MhpeC

Best picture I got was after the Raw went off air.

INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #4495
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Best part of last night's Raw was Brian Armstrong (aka Rod Dogg) saying "This one's for you, Percy" at the beginning of his "speech".
Old 03-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #4496
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Someone linked me this video. This is the ridiculous lengths the Japanese Feds will go to show fighting spirit.

187 strikes in just over four minutes. Both men's chest were red and bruised and looked like raw hamburger. And the crowd just eats it us.

Longest & Most Epic Chop Exchange in Wrestling History - YouTube
Old 03-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #4497
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

REID FLAIR PASSES AWAY (UPDATED) | PWInsider.com
Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #4498
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Sad, just read this today and I would be totally shocked if it was anything other than an OD.

I remember him from back in WCW when he was a teenager.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #4499
molson
General Manager

From what I read Ric and Reid were pretty much living together at that hotel. Reid had been off in Japan training, a trip that was set up, in part, to get him away from his drug friends. Then the very first night he comes back, this happens. The WWE were going to bring Reid into developmental at some point, but passed when the drug stuff came to light. That really matters now in wrestling. Being Ric Flair's son isn't even enough if you have the reputation for being a drug guy. Of course, he had a chance to turn it around and change everyone's mind, and everybody said he was doing really well in Japan.

Last edited by molson : 04-03-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #4500
molson
General Manager

It's kind of amusing how Wrestlemania weekend has become this huge indy wrestling holiday. I think there's around a dozen shows going on in NYC this weekend. If you ever wanted to see Demolition v. the Rock N' Roll Express, (and still do, here in 2013) you can, tomorrow on ippv!

Edit: Next year could be really crazy when all this comes to New Orleans. 100k wrestling fans and maybe 500 or so wrestlers descending on the French Quarter. I predict disaster.

Last edited by molson : 04-03-2013 at 10:57 AM.