Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #401
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Kellen Moore is about to light up the Cardinals. You heard it here first.

If that happens, he will be the first of many who do. Cards defense has to stay healthy this year if they want a chance to do well.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:54 PM   #402
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tannehille gone for the year...options are Matt Moore, Cutler, Kaep or a loaded revolver
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:43 AM   #403
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Moore is underrated as a QB, he could probably do just about as well as Tannehill. He even played pretty well in last seasons playoff game. I don't know why Miami would be very torn up over this, they should just sign a backup to Moore and roll with it. They're probably not hurt at all by this.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:52 AM   #404
Thomkal
Head Coach

my beloved Cards had a chance to beat the hated Cowboys last night but missed a relatively short FG try late in the game and lost 20-18. Hopefully no injuries.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #405
molson
General Manager

Kaep might have had a shot in Miami if not for his Castro worship.

Instead, it looks like Jay Cutler may get the call.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #406
bhlloy
Coordinator

I have no idea how in 2017 somebody can look at Jay Cutler and think "that's a great option for my football team"

You'd probably have the same success getting Rex Grossman out of retirement if you want somebody to throw the ball 50 yards inaccurately down the field and take a bunch of sacks.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:36 AM   #407
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Yeah, Cutler has underperformed every chance he has gotten. I don't see it being any better in Miami. He probably has them at 5-6 until he gets benched or hurt, then they win 4 out of 5 with Moore to finish 9-7 and just out of the playoffs.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #408
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Cutler gets 1 year, $10 million from the Dolphins. I don't get it. Yes, he played well under Gase. No, he's not better than Matt Moore right now.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #409
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow Facebook having fun with the Cutler signing lol.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #410
QuikSand
lolzcat

I totally don't get it, either. I think I'd sign him, too, but I'd offer him $4-5m maybe. There is definitely not going to be a better fit or him. And it's not like he's such a hot commodity that the team absolutely needs him. At best, I'd drop in some incentives and give him the chance to earn up to $10m with a really big season.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #411
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I totally don't get it, either. I think I'd sign him, too, but I'd offer him $4-5m maybe. There is definitely not going to be a better fit or him. And it's not like he's such a hot commodity that the team absolutely needs him. At best, I'd drop in some incentives and give him the chance to earn up to $10m with a really big season.

That's what they did?

1 year, $5M base, $5M in bonuses, up to $3M more in incentives according to an NFL Writer(Ian Rappaport).

Probably like 312K per start and I'd guess incentives are something like 500K for winning 11 games, 500K more for winning 12 games, and probably 500K each for reaching each round of the playoffs (divisional, conference, Superbowl, winning the bowl)

Last edited by stevew : 08-06-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #412
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Okay, that's better. The first reports I saw were $10 million plus incentives.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #413
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd take Cutler over Kaep cause of system familiarity. I do think Kaepernick will get a job but likely it will take an injury. Something like Tyrod Taylor getting hurt or Bottles being flat out awful.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #414
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I think Quik is saying only give him up to $5M total in base + bonus and put everything else into the incentives. At $5M base and $5M bonus, you're on the hook for more than $5M immediately, and you probably aren't getting out from under him for less than $8M when you finally decide he's not the answer.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #415
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

What is the point of a backup QB if you go out to sign a vet as soon as your starter goes down?

If Matt Moore isn't good enough to give you a shot to win if your starter goes down, then you should have spent the offseason upgrading Matt Moore. As it is you are paying real American money to a guy and giving him real valuable practice and film room time all in service of a job that you don't think he can actually do.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #416
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I would guess the main reason is you don't want to pay your backup low end starting money if he's just going to hold a clipboard for 90+% of the season.

I am not spending time looking up Matt Moore's salary, but I would assume it's pretty low for a backup QB, or at least average considering he's not on a rookie contract. You can go cheaper on a guy that can get you out of a game if your guy gets a concussion or is out a couple weeks with a bad hamstring and then have more to spend on the rest of your roster to be more competitive the full season. That doesn't necessarily mean they think Moore can be a decent starting QB for 16 games.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #417
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Moore has had 2 chances to be a starting QB and was no worse than Cutler either time. I'd say he's a better QB right now and the way he played at the end of last season was as good as Cutler's best year.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #418
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

They are paying me $10 million to throw a football. Not to pretend that I give a fuck.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #419
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

They are paying me $10 million to throw a football. Not to pretend that I give a fuck.

I realize this picture is probably taken as he is listening to a question from a reporter, and that is why he isn't smiling and looking energized (since he is passively listening).

That said, if there is one thing we can say about Cutler, it's that he doesn't even begin to try to do the media thing well. He never has. He is just not good at image control.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #420
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Anybody want Bashaud Breeland? He looked like he was becoming a #1 CB, then the moment Josh Norman was signed he's been nothing but a pain in the ass. Today he got kicked off the practice field because he was so angry about an article on the local CSN website that he was going full blast jamming guys at the line in a freaking walk through.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #421
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Osweiler has taken 0 snaps with the first team in Cleveland. He's the starter for preseason game 1. Hue Jackson has figured out this whole Head Coach of the Browns thing pretty quickly.

The Jets might score negative points for the year. Quincy Enunwa, arguably the worst WR1 in the league, is going on the IR.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #422
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Osweiler has taken 0 snaps with the first team in Cleveland. He's the starter for preseason game 1. Hue Jackson has figured out this whole Head Coach of the Browns thing pretty quickly.

The Jets might score negative points for the year. Quincy Enunwa, arguably the worst WR1 in the league, is going on the IR.

Looking at the Jets roster, I know like 3 guys in total on their offense, well like 6 if you include the QBs, but that's a rough squad.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #423
Thomkal
Head Coach

<---sad my beloved Cards don't play the Jets this season now.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #424
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Looking at the Jets roster, I know like 3 guys in total on their offense, well like 6 if you include the QBs, but that's a rough squad.

They legitimately might not have CFL talent on offense.

I usually have at least heard the name of one starting OT for each team, and often remember either their other NFL teams or their college background. I'm genuinely unsure if I've ever heard the name of either projected Jest starting OT said out loud before. Sincerely, who the hell are Kelvin Beachum and Brent Qvale?

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 08-07-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #425
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Osweiler has taken 0 snaps with the first team in Cleveland. He's the starter for preseason game 1.

Hmm, if we posit for a moment that they know what they're doing, how do you complete that thought?

*snickers*

Maybe the thinking is that they WANT someone to take BO and his guaranteed salary off their hands, so they feel their best shot at that is a shiny performance in preseason? And the best shot they get for that is with the starters around him. Plus, this puts off any actual QB1/QB2 controversy around Kizer, who appears to be exceeding expectations in camp, but may still not be ready soon.

It's not 100% absurd, right?

*sigh*
Old 08-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #426
Thomkal
Head Coach

And yet Anquan Boldin was still available for the Jets. But he signed a 1 year deal with the Bills
Old 08-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #427
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
They legitimately might not have CFL talent on offense.

I usually have at least heard the name of one starting OT for each team, and often remember either their other NFL teams or their college background. I'm genuinely unsure if I've ever heard the name of either projected Jest starting OT said out loud before. Sincerely, who the hell are Kelvin Beachum and Brent Qvale?

Might not have CFL talent on the whole team. Looking at ratings for the upcoming Madden game, their best player, Leonard Williams, is an 85, and they have the fewest 80+ players of any team. Might be a good option for a dynasty if I finally buy Madden.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #428
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Might not have CFL talent on the whole team. Looking at ratings for the upcoming Madden game, their best player, Leonard Williams, is an 85, and they have the fewest 80+ players of any team. Might be a good option for a dynasty if I finally buy Madden.

Nice. I actually like a lot of their defensive talent. The DL and DBs are all legit or at least have great potential. The problem is they're going to be on the field for 40 minutes per game.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #429
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Nice. I actually like a lot of their defensive talent. The DL and DBs are all legit or at least have great potential. The problem is they're going to be on the field for 40 minutes per game.

Yeah, I watch enough Jets games since they are my local team. Can't wait for the Joe Benigno rants though.

Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 08-07-2017, 10:01 PM   #430
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Johnny Manziel interested in coaching if NFL door shut
Old 08-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #431
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm interested in being Kate Uptons stud if she ever wants a baby. Likelihood is the same.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:09 PM   #432
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Plus, this puts off any actual QB1/QB2 controversy around Kizer, who appears to be exceeding expectations in camp, but may still not be ready soon.

See, I guess it's a matter of who reads what where/when.

Last thing I'd seen ... somewhere, back during the weekend IIRC, was that Osweiler looked the best of the candidates and that Kizer looked "like a rookie ... that might not ever be ready"

Not saying I didn't read something totally off-base, just saying that's actually the last take I'd seen anywhere prior to your post.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #433
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
And yet Anquan Boldin was still available for the Jets. But he signed a 1 year deal with the Bills

I'm not sure the Jets are really in the "winning games this year" business right now.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #434
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Hmm, if we posit for a moment that they know what they're doing, how do you complete that thought?

*snickers*

Maybe the thinking is that they WANT someone to take BO and his guaranteed salary off their hands, so they feel their best shot at that is a shiny performance in preseason? And the best shot they get for that is with the starters around him. Plus, this puts off any actual QB1/QB2 controversy around Kizer, who appears to be exceeding expectations in camp, but may still not be ready soon.

It's not 100% absurd, right?

*sigh*

The Saints top 3 cornerbacks are all not practicing with injuries right now (and it isn't like it was a great group of CBs in the first place). Whoever starts the game for the Browns on Thursday has a chance to look good just hitting starting WRs getting open against dime backs and special teamers.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #435
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The Saints top 3 cornerbacks are all not practicing with injuries right now (and it isn't like it was a great group of CBs in the first place). Whoever starts the game for the Browns on Thursday has a chance to look good just hitting starting WRs getting open against dime backs and special teamers.

Yeah, but that assumes Osweiler can actually hit them when they're open. Granted, Britt and Coleman are semi-legit WRs, but someone named Randall Telfair is the TE with rookie Njoku listed as 3rd string.

Browns release first unofficial depth chart ahead of preseason opener vs. Saints | cleveland.com

On a side note, who is the best QB Britt has played with? It feels like either end of career Hasselbeck or Fitzpatrick were it. He's also had washed up Collins, Vince Young, Jake Locker, Austin Davis, Shaun Hill, Nick Foles, Case Keenum, Jared Goff and now the trainwreck in Cleveland.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #436
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I'm interested in being Kate Uptons stud if she ever wants a baby. Likelihood is the same.

4.20's the benchmark. How's your slider?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #437
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I sure hope the Patriots can keep the cabins in their new team jets properly pressurized.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #438
bhlloy
Coordinator

Standard preseason playing mostly against second and third stringers disclaimer, but Watson looks like he belongs in this league
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #439
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why is Zeke getting suspended for 4 games? This league makes no sense
Old 08-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #440
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Redskins-Ravens is airing on CSN, NBC, ABC, and CBS in the DC market.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #441
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Cleveland's offense is terrible and Ted Ginn Jr drops a TD. All is right in the the NFL world.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #442
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

With all the talk about how bad the Browns and Jets offenses are, we might be overlooking the Bears. In 10 minutes they've got 12 yards and 2 turnovers, including a pick 6.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #443
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

QB controversy in Chicago gonna start early this year.

Glennon throws a pick six, goes 2/8 for 20 yards.

Trubisky completes 9 of 9 for a TD thus far.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 08-10-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #444
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

DeShone Kizer is looking pretty good against 3rd string talent
Old 08-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #445
Logan
Head Coach

Six game suspension for Zeke.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #446
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Did not see that 6 games coming for sure. Goodell hates Jones, Snyder, and Kraft, but I don't see how you make this stick.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #447
Arles
Grey Dog Software

If Brady gets 4, it makes a little sense (what Zeke did was worse, especially if the reports he withheld or destroyed evidence are true). All that said, all these suspensions are a little silly (Brady included). But, Goodell has set the precedent.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #448
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Bills trade WR Watkins to the Rams for CB Gaines and a 2nd rounder.
Bills trade CB Darby to the Eagles for WR Matthews and a 3rd rounder.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #449
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Bills trade WR Watkins to the Rams for CB Gaines and a 2nd rounder.
Bills trade CB Darby to the Eagles for WR Matthews and a 3rd rounder.

Bills gonna Bills.
Glad Sammy is out of Buffalo.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #450
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
If Brady gets 4, it makes a little sense (what Zeke did was worse, especially if the reports he withheld or destroyed evidence are true). All that said, all these suspensions are a little silly (Brady included). But, Goodell has set the precedent.

Except that a white kicker received a one game suspension for a worse incident.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote