Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #401
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The tragedy is that sometimes addiction is beyond help. The opiate addiction in my Ohio hometown has claimed a lot of decent people that just couldn't ever get clean.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #402
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I can't imagine trying to convince a millionaire that he needs to change his lifestyle.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #403
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The affidavit filed for the restraining order on Manziel has been released.

Affidavit: Johnny Manziel Restrained, Beat, And Threatened To Kill Colleen Crowley Â*
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #404
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The affidavit filed for the restraining order on Manziel has been released.

Affidavit: Johnny Manziel Restrained, Beat, And Threatened To Kill Colleen Crowley Â*

If this is true the only football Manziel will be playing is in the Correctional Facility League. But I have to say I'm not sure I believe it.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #405
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hasn't this been kind of the drumbeat for his dad for several years now though?

What I mean is, didn't he say pretty much the same thing 2-3 years ago? (In an ESPN piece or something maybe?)
Old 02-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #406
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
But I have to say I'm not sure I believe it.

Prior to any evidence aside from this, you are not (and should not be) alone.

Someone can file a statement claiming they ran off in a UFO with Rob Zombie.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-08-2016 at 06:52 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #407
Thomkal
Head Coach

Meanwhile, the NFL player's favorite pastime during the offseason-Getting into trouble...

LeSean McCoy reportedly involved in altercation - NFL.com
Old 02-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #408
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Meanwhile, the NFL player's favorite pastime during the offseason-Getting into trouble...

LeSean McCoy reportedly involved in altercation - NFL.com

Something doesn't feel right there. Why would they let him go after an altercation? Seems like they would have at least took him down and booked him.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #409
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It doesn't sound like the two off-duty cops let anyone go. It appears they got a beating, and ones that did it walked away.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #410
TroyF
Coordinator

Reports are coming out that Manzeil showed up to a Cleveland practice drunk and to cover for him the Browns put him in the concussion program.

The Browns should face some punishment for this.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #411
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Reports are coming out that Manzeil showed up to a Cleveland practice drunk and to cover for him the Browns put him in the concussion program.

The Browns should face some punishment for this.

A punishment like you would see for manipulating the injury report? Why? They weren't hiding an injury to get a competitive advantage. If saying he has a concussion keeps him inactive, what's the big deal?

And you could probably make the case, if he has a legitimate alcohol problem, that this method protected him...which I normally wouldn't say was their responsibility but since USC is getting sued by Sark for firing him while he's claiming he deserves to be "protected" as a drunk, that would make some sense.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #412
sabotai
General Manager

Giants cut a few of their bigger contract players. LT Will Beatty and OG Geoff Schwartz were cut, and Jon Beason retires (and was released by the Giants) because his knee is trashed. Beatty's cut will leave $5 million in dead money, but he had a huge contract and it still frees up over $4 million. All the cuts frees up over $11 million in cap space for them and they'll now have over $50 million in cap space during the off season.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:47 PM   #413
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Raiders sign a 1 year lease to stay in Oakland:

Oakland Raiders sign new lease with O.co Coliseum for 2016 season
Old 02-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #414
cartman
Death Herald

Pretty good read on some of the behind the scenes stuff that went on during the LA relocation saga.

The real story behind NFL owners' battle to bring football back to Los Angeles
Old 02-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #415
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
A punishment like you would see for manipulating the injury report? Why? They weren't hiding an injury to get a competitive advantage. If saying he has a concussion keeps him inactive, what's the big deal?

And you could probably make the case, if he has a legitimate alcohol problem, that this method protected him...which I normally wouldn't say was their responsibility but since USC is getting sued by Sark for firing him while he's claiming he deserves to be "protected" as a drunk, that would make some sense.

I missed this. . . but yes, they should be punished if it is true. The concussion protocol is serious business and an NFL team shouldn't be allowed to "protect" players by falsely putting them in it.

Beyond that, I don't buy for a second they were "protecting" Johnny from anything. They'd already made the decision to move on at that point. They were protecting themselves from the questions.

Sorry, the concussion protocol is for concussions. Not alcohol, drugs, DUI, domestic abuse or eye injuries.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #416
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Haven't the Browns been punished enough?
Old 02-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #417
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It seems like the Browns could have just made him inactive--Coach's Decision and not taken any questions on it. The media would have just assumed that they had decided to move on and didn't want to risk him getting injured. Seems strange to use the concussion protocol for that, considering what a hot button issue concussions are.

Heck, if they had just put him on IR with a "head" injury, it would not have been such a big deal, I figure. But to formally use the concussion procedures just seems like a strange and unforced error on their part.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #418
cartman
Death Herald

From what I understand, if a player complains to trainers of headaches, nausea, sensitivity to light, etc, they automatically get entered into the concussion protocol. Even if it is clear the cause is a hangover.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #419
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
just seems like a strange and unforced error on their part.

The end of every analysis of every decision the Browns make.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #420
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
From what I understand, if a player complains to trainers of headaches, nausea, sensitivity to light, etc, they automatically get entered into the concussion protocol. Even if it is clear the cause is a hangover.

Pretty much this. Which is why this seems like no story at all frankly.

edit to add: If teams are supposed to lose their minds every time a player might experience any symptom and "take no chances" is the new mantra then how do you ding a team for this? Did he know what he was doing by giving those complaints? Probably so. And did they know better? Most likely so. But the second he retires the bidding will begin for his brain for some "CTE study" and then the Browns would have been vilified for not putting him on the protocol every time he had a headache.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-12-2016 at 11:09 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #421
Thomkal
Head Coach

Peyton Manning may not be so squeaky clean after all...

New documents reveal additional lawsuits between Peyton Manning, sexual assault accuser | NFL | Sporting News
Old 02-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #422
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I don't know about all this. I mean, the "new documents" were basically a defamation suit filed back in 2003 after Peyton talked about her in his book in 2000 (after signing a NDA). This has all been public record and there's nothing new about the actual assault case. The last set of "documents" referenced came out in 2005 (when the last suit was settled out of court) and this is now somehow a big story? The gist seems that the female trainer claims Peyton put his junk in her face while she was working on his foot at Tennessee nearly 20 years ago - he denied and said it was a prank. She settled out of court and no charges were ever filed. I'm sure Peyton was inappropriate, but she settled out of court and dropped the charges.

On a bigger scale, this seems like sour grapes from people upset Cam got a bunch of criticism after the Super Bowl and want to change the narrative. No new information has come out (outside of re-opening old known documents) and this just looks like a smear campaign against Peyton. I'm no fan of Manning, in fact I find him a little insufferable with all his endorsements. Still, I'm not sure what the point is here. Brett Favre is getting into the Hall of Fame - should we reopen the sexting scandal this week? Kobe is going through his rape allegations one more time even though he was found not guilty? Heck, Marvin Harrison was just put into the Hall of Fame and was not charged in the case involving a shooting that looked pretty bad. Maybe we should reopen that too with no new information. At this point, unless there is new testimony or data - why bring this stuff up? Again, it smells like sour grapes against Peyton as he's riding out into the sunset.

What's funny is if Cam would have won and a set of white reporters had brought up his felony theft charge at Florida to take him down a peg, these same reporters railing on Manning would be outraged people would do that to Cam after he won.

Last edited by Arles : 02-15-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #423
Thomkal
Head Coach

I don't disagree with what you said here Arles, but this is coming up as its part of a new Title IX lawsuit against the Univ of Tennessee, of which he was one of those named. So that's why the media is bringing it up again.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...al-environment

Last edited by Thomkal : 02-15-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #424
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I hope Manning was squeaky clean when he put his genitals on that trainer's face.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 02-15-2016 at 02:42 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #425
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I don't mind the story on the Tennessee suit, but the Sporting News story above isn't referencing that. That story, as well as the NY Daily News story below (as we as a few other ESPN hatchet jobs) are what I am referring to (and both came out before the suit was even announced):

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2530395

Quote:
On the morning after Super Bowl 50, I posted a picture on my Facebook page of Cam Newton smiling and embracing Peyton Manning after the game and simply asked why that warm photo wasn't being talked about instead of Cam being frustrated at the post-game press conference. It has since been shared more than 234,000 times and seen by more than 20 million people. It now has nearly 6,000 comments, but on that morning, just one leaped out at me, which mentioned something to the effect of "Peyton sexually assaulted a girl in college."

Now, I get a lot of crap posted on my Facebook page, but I decided, on a whim, to Google "Peyton Manning sexual assault University of Tennessee." That's how I discovered the two old USA Today articles about the case. Later that day, when I wrote an article on the racial double standards in the media between Peyton Manning and Cam Newton, I decided to mention the sexual assault case, and how the allegations had somehow slid right off of Peyton like virtually every other mistake he has ever made in his career.
Obviously, there was a ton of new information that sparked this story It was basically a bitter Newton fan (who badly wanted to bring in race) trumping it up to try and deflect from Cam's criticism.

Last edited by Arles : 02-15-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #426
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't disagree with what you said here Arles, but this is coming up as its part of a new Title IX lawsuit against the Univ of Tennessee, of which he was one of those named. So that's why the media is bringing it up again.

Eh, there's a hair to be split there IMO.

It's vaguely relevant again because of the lawsuit, that part is fair enough. The media has latched onto it however 'cause it's Manning & it's a chance to attack an old icon while giving some relief to the "new face of the NFL".
Old 02-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #427
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I don't mind the story on the Tennessee suit, but the Sporting News story above isn't referencing that. That story, as well as the NY Daily News story below (as we as a few other ESPN hatchet jobs) are what I am referring to (and both came out before the suit was even announced):

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2530395

Obviously, there was a ton of new information that sparked this story It was basically a bitter Newton fan (who badly wanted to bring in race) trumping it up to try and deflect from Cam's criticism.

I find it similar to the media's response to steroids in baseball and Bill Cosby. It was not taken seriously enough before (using the current day's sensibilities) and now the media is going over the top to make up for lost time. I have not dug deeply into the case but I only remember hearing about Peyton mooning a trainer. I did not know (or care to know) any of the other stuff.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #428
QuikSand
lolzcat

Not much actual news here, but the Washington/Cousins thing isn't looking like a hometown discount lovefest...

Kirk Cousins, Washington hit roadblock in contract talks - SBNation.com
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #429
Thomkal
Head Coach

have to think they will franchise him at least. Can't believe they would go from him and RGIII to nothing.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:23 PM   #430
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like the NFC West has a case of Aussie fever. Jerryd Hayne with the 49ers last season and now the Cards have signed CB Joel Wilkinson.

Cardinals Sign Aussie Rules Player Joel Wilkinson
Old 02-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #431
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that the smart play for Washington is to franchise Cousins. Signing him to a long term deal this offseason seems like you would be buying really high on him.

Make him prove it for another year before you lay out franchise-altering money for him. Let's say he has another Pro Bowl season. Would you really end up paying much more for them after that than you would this offseason?
Old 02-18-2016, 08:06 AM   #432
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Agreed. Cousins decided he wasn't garbage last season but I'm skeptical that it wasn't some 2013 McCown/Foles type outlier. If you franchise him it saves the long term commitment. Then if he proves to be more than pocket lint™ you do a long term deal next offseason.

Last edited by stevew : 02-18-2016 at 12:07 PM.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #433
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jarod Mayo retires

Last edited by stevew : 02-18-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #434
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
pocket lint™

my work is done here
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #435
cartman
Death Herald

Jared Allen announced his retirement.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #436
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Randy Gregory suspended for substance abuse violation.

Really sucks when you can see a guy destroying his gifts and there just isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it.

Addiction is a bitch.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #437
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Heath Miller retiring. Had a great career. 2 rings, 3 super bowls. Stats were pretty solid for a TE who primarily blocked. Never going to be a Hall Of Famer, although I'm not discounting a veterans committee vote in 35 years. But he'll be remembered for a long time.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #438
Thomkal
Head Coach

Big Ben will surely miss him.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #439
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like the Rams are throwing in the towel early, would love to see my beloved Cardinals sign Lauranitis,

Rams cut Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Jared Cook - NFL.com
Old 02-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #440
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jeff Fisher only needs 6 more seasons for a turnaround.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #441
Warhammer
Pro Starter

This move is not what you think. This is cost saving, Laurinitis is on the decline, Long hardly played last year, and Cook was a black hole at TE that couldn't block. They saved $20 million in cutting them. Expect Long and Laurinitis to be resigned at a lower number.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #442
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
This move is not what you think. This is cost saving, Laurinitis is on the decline, Long hardly played last year, and Cook was a black hole at TE that couldn't block. They saved $20 million in cutting them. Expect Long and Laurinitis to be resigned at a lower number.

I don't disagree with you on the cost saving part. But in reading the rest of the article, it does not say anything about resigning, in fact Jeff Fisher thanked them for their time on the team like he was saying goodbye to them. It would not surprise me if they do resign them, but only if there are no takers in free agency.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:20 AM   #443
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

Yeah.. really nothing shattering about those 3 guys. All 3 are on the decline and the money they saved will allow for them to resign their better players with expiring contracts.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #444
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Ravens are eying Trent Richardson.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #445
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Ravens are eying Trent Richardson.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #446
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hope he makes him bleed.

Jason Pierre-Paul Sues ESPN, Adam Schefter Over Released Medical Records | Bleacher Report
Old 02-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #447
bhlloy
Coordinator

Watching the combine, Wentz looks really good. I can see him being a very very good QB in this league. Not completely convinced by Lynch yet, but he clearly has some upside too
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #448
Logan
Head Coach

Sam Bradford and the Eagles agree on a new deal. Two years, $36 million, with $26MM guaranteed.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #449
bhlloy
Coordinator

I wish I was a mediocre NFL QB who couldn't stay healthy. Holy crap that's a lot of money
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #450
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Jeff Fisher only needs 6 more seasons for a turnaround.

And it sounds like he may get it. ESPN saying an extension is in the works.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote