Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #401
Thomkal
Head Coach

And I hope Coastal Carolina takes inspiration from being a giant-killer on the same court as they will be playing on later.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #402
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So let me ask:

The beginning of the end for Coach K at Duke? Losing to a 14th and 15th seed in the past three years, doesn't win the ACC? Seems silly to suggest such a thing, but this is clearly not the Duke of old

It is up to him to decide that. I can't imagine anyone there forcing him out. He obviously can bring big name talent in. I just don't see this as being the thing that has him leave.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #403
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Stolen from a friend's feed:

They should add an amendment to the Geneva Conventions making these Baylor basketball uniforms a war crime

Maybe HP or some other monitor manufacturer gets kickbacks for this

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #404
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And I hope Coastal Carolina takes inspiration from being a giant-killer on the same court as they will be playing on later.

I would like to request Eastern Kentucky not be added to this list today, please

SI

Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #405
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
All we need now is for UK to lose and it will be a perfect opening round.

AND Syracuse. Then I agree. So it's out of reach.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-21-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #406
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So let me ask:

The beginning of the end for Coach K at Duke? Losing to a 14th and 15th seed in the past three years, doesn't win the ACC? Seems silly to suggest such a thing, but this is clearly not the Duke of old

Last five years...

National title, Sweet Sixteen. Upset Loss, Elite Eight, Upset Loss. Yes pretty silly suggestion.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #407
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fuckin duke.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #408
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Is Nike doing bball uniforms as well?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #409
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Last five years...

National title, Sweet Sixteen. Upset Loss, Elite Eight, Upset Loss. Yes pretty silly suggestion.

Agree. The losses seem worse because of who they were to. You're not going to win the title every year.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #410
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I would like to request Eastern Kentucky not be added to this list today, please

SI

That's fine by me!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #411
Butter
Coordinator

I honestly think Coastal Carolina might give UVa a game. Might be more like an Albany/Florida type game where it stays around 10 points most of the game, but I think it won't be a blowout.

The bracket just opened up for UMass to get an A10 team into the Sweet 16. Let's do it, Minutemen.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #412
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Kodos, too late - Cuse had already won their opening round game. But the tournament was already near perfect without the presence of Indiana.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #413
Butter
Coordinator

So, how did Tim Miles get ejected?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #414
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
So, Mike K, how is that "the ACC is tougher and deserves more teams" thing working our for ya?
He can commiserate with Chris "Georgetown would be a top 3 team in the A10" Mack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMadison View Post
It's gonna be UMass. I'm a homer but no one is giving us any respect or credit. We beat 7 teams in the tournament. Tennessee has beaten 1 this year. Yes, the argument can be made that were over seeded but we should not be 6 point underdogs. I bet if Tennesseee was a 6 and UMass was an 11-- we'd see most people picking UMass. The so called experts are punishing them for their seed. Senior laden team with a great point guard in Chaz Williams. See for yourself. UMass to the Sweet 16.

A10 has proven itself as a power conference. 2-1 and St Joes had UConn for most of the game. I expect 5-1 after today.
When'd we get another UMass fan around here? I do think the "experts" are overstating their dislike of UMass because they got a 6, but I'd be lying if I said this was anything other than a 50/50 game. I'm not looking forward to seeing Cady and Sampson constantly fail to get position against the 2 Tennessee bigs, and it'll be hard to put Esho or Putney at the 4 when those 2 are on the court. It'd be a great game to throw some zone looks out there, but DK never uses those.

I do wonder just how much of Tennessee's great computer numbers in things like KenPom come from that one 35 point win over Virginia. And fwiw, I like both the other A10 teams to win, but only like 60-70% probability. VCU is the best A10 team, but they got a tough 12 seed in SFA.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-21-2014 at 01:59 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #415
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Kodos, too late - Cuse had already won their opening round game. But the tournament was already near perfect without the presence of Indiana.

Yeah, I saw that after my initial post. Didn't get to watch any last night, as we were trying to catch up on True Detective.

Oh well. Maybe next round!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #416
BillyMadison
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
He can commiserate with Chris "Georgetown would be a top 3 team in the A10" Mack.When'd we get another UMass fan around here? I do think the "experts" are overstating their dislike of UMass because they got a 6, but I'd be lying if I said this was anything other than a 50/50 game. I'm not looking forward to seeing Cady and Sampson constantly fail to get position against the 2 Tennessee bigs, and it'll be hard to put Esho or Putney at the 4 when those 2 are on the court. It'd be a great game to throw some zone looks out there, but DK never uses those.

I do wonder just how much of Tennessee's great computer numbers in things like KenPom come from that one 35 point win over Virginia. And fwiw, I like both the other A10 teams to win, but only like 60-70% probability. VCU is the best A10 team, but they got a tough 12 seed in SFA.

Tennessee is coming off an OT loss to a team that isn't that dissimilar to us. They're gonna be tired and if we can play our game and run run run-- I think we can wear their bigs out. The key is hitting the glass hard today and setting up the fast break. If we can do that I like our chances.
BillyMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #417
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I do think the "experts" are overstating their dislike of UMass because they got a 6, but I'd be lying if I said this was anything other than a 50/50 game.

I believe Vegas had Tennessee favored by a few last I checked, even tho they were the lower seed

SI

Old 03-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #418
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I had Duke out in R2.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #419
chesapeake
College Starter

Fire Krzyzewski.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #420
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I believe Miles got tossed as well.

I didn't watch, but the box score certainly explains the technical fouls. Nebraska's a physical team, maybe they couldn't adjust to officials not used to the Big Ten. You need to do that if you're going to go far in the tournament.

MSU ran into the same problem yesterday, but Delaware (39 FTA) was overmatched.

Michigan doesn't play that style. Maybe that's why they went so far last year.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #421
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Kodos, truth be said, I had a hard time seeing Cuse as a Sweet 16 team and certainly not Elite 8. With Dayton next, that may be different.

Both my son and I are very happy that OSU lost. We would hate to think of the chance of SU losing to OSU.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #422
nol
Banned

Quote:
So let me ask:

Think of how much sooner it would have been over if he hadn't gotten the team USA job.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #423
Kodos
Resident Alien

At least we can all be united in our hatred for Duke. And Kentucky. And OSU.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #424
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMadison View Post
Tennessee is coming off an OT loss to a team that isn't that dissimilar to us. They're gonna be tired and if we can play our game and run run run-- I think we can wear their bigs out. The key is hitting the glass hard today and setting up the fast break. If we can do that I like our chances.
Maybe it'll affect their bigs a little bit - Stokes doesn't exactly look to be in shape - but college players getting tired is an overrated trope. They're 20 y/o kids who are used to playing multiple games in a day at AAU tournaments or hours of pick-up basketball in the offseason. 1 game 36 hours ago won't affect them much.
Quote:
I believe Vegas had Tennessee favored by a few last I checked, even tho they were the lower seed
Tenn 2.5 point favorite.

I do like DG being aggressive - he's really our best driver as long as he's not scared to get fouled (he was shooting under 50% on FT's early in the season, but that mental block appears to be gone). Now we just need Maxie to stop missing bunnies.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #425
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

There are now 2,185 perfect brackets in ESPN's Tournament Challenge after Duke's loss.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #426
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
There are now 2,185 perfect brackets in ESPN's Tournament Challenge after Duke's loss.

That's a surprisingly high number between that and some of the upsets yesterday. None were super surprising (if Manhattan had won, it would have been), but, still- quite a few

SI

Old 03-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #427
BishopMVP
Coordinator

We might travel more than any team in the country.

Btw, for those who haven't watched UMass this year, this is absolutely no surprise. We look like shit for at least 10 minutes if not a whole half every game. We could go down (or up) by 20 before halftime and I'd still be convinced this will be a close game with 5 minutes left.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #428
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I honestly think Coastal Carolina might give UVa a game. Might be more like an Albany/Florida type game where it stays around 10 points most of the game, but I think it won't be a blowout.

The bracket just opened up for UMass to get an A10 team into the Sweet 16. Let's do it, Minutemen.

As much as I want to believe that Butter, just can't see it. Virginia would have to play poorly/choke for it be close at the end. Coastal does not have a big scorer (the senior transfer from South Carolina who was supposed to be a star for us, has not been a starter since game 7), and not a lot of depth.

They could be and were beaten by any Big South team on any given day, can't imagine they have the game to take on a Virginia. But the tourney does crazy things to players and teams (Hi Duke! ) so we shall see.

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-21-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #429
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If the Vols blow an 18 point lead, Cuonzo might manage to get himself fired after all.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #430
Jas_lov
College Starter

Just as I suspected, UMASS is no match physically for Tennessee. That Iowa/Tennessee winner was one of the easier "upset" picks for me. Not really an upset though since TN was favored. Either would have been tough for Duke as well with their size and I'm kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on TN/IA over Duke.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #431
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
So let me ask:

It is silly to suggest such a thing. Even though I suggested it earlier.

Every program is going to have more severe peaks and valleys in the era of "one and done." Jabari Parker, perhaps the top pick in the next draft, laid a big turd today. Freshmen do that, no matter how good they may be.

Coach K's end at Duke will have nothing to do with a couple of bad tourney performances (sandwiched around a regional final). When he decides he's done, then he'll go. But he's given no indication that he's ready to retire. 2 things point to him staying -- he's continuing on as Olympic coach through the next Olympics and he's got 3 of the top 10 recruits in the country coming in next season.

Certainly, the end of the road for him is not too far off -- he's 67. But he'll punch his own ticket.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #432
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

FiveThirtyEight | Duke's Lehigh Loss Was Bad, But Mercer Was Worser

Worser?

Last edited by Matthean : 03-21-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #433
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A collection of reaction tweets from the game (and a few funny pics)
Macon's Mercer Bears upset Duke in NCAA Tournament | www.ajc.com
Old 03-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #434
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Welp.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #435
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Do the officials have the balls to call that a flagrant in the New Mexico game? Edit - Yes. Wow

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-21-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #436
cmp
Pro Rookie

Hmmm. I don't really like that call.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #437
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Maybe it'll affect their bigs a little bit - Stokes doesn't exactly look to be in shape - but college players getting tired is an overrated trope. They're 20 y/o kids who are used to playing multiple games in a day at AAU tournaments or hours of pick-up basketball in the offseason. 1 game 36 hours ago won't affect them much.Tenn 2.5 point favorite.

I think if anything its the opposite. I know teams with byes and double-byes in the Big East tournament tended to struggle and lose often against teams coming of back-to-back-wins on consecutive days. I don't know how well the play-in teams have done in "round 2" relative to similarly-seeded peers, but I feel like if a #1 ever beats a #16, it might be in that kind of scenario. The #16 wins a conference tournament, beats somebody in Dayton, and then takes that momentum into a game against a #1 team who hasn't played an intense game in months.

Last edited by molson : 03-21-2014 at 03:05 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #438
BishopMVP
Coordinator

But Stanford hits their FT's and UNM didn't. That could've been a huuuuuuuuge call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If the Vols blow an 18 point lead, Cuonzo might manage to get himself fired after all.
Hey, we practiced this by coming back from double-digit 1st-half deficits multiple times this year! Now, those were against teams like St. Bonaventure and URI, but hey, never say never.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #439
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think if anything its the opposite. I know teams with byes and double-byes in the Big East tournament tended to struggle and lose often against teams coming of back-to-back-wins on consecutive days. I don't know how well the play-in teams have done in "round 2" relative to similarly-seeded peers, but I feel like if a #1 ever beats a #16, it might be in that kind of scenario. The #16 wins a conference tournament, beats somebody in Dayton, and then takes that momentum into a game against a #1 team who hasn't played an intense game in months.

That scenario sounds a lot like Cal Poly vs. Wichita state tonight.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #440
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
but hey, never say never.

It's Tennessee b'ball, I never say never.

But if it happens, the hot seat that had just barely cooled off will rekindle in a hurry

edit to add: especially given Auburn's new hire this week

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-21-2014 at 03:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #441
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Bracket decimated - Kodos elated!

+1 and my bracket is KILLED!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #442
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Ugh. This little show-me 1-3-1 full court press has been shit all year.

Sampson Carter, stop putting the ball on the floor. Ever. Just spot up for 3's like you're Matt Bonner.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #443
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Every program is going to have more severe peaks and valleys in the era of "one and done." Jabari Parker, perhaps the top pick in the next draft, laid a big turd today. Freshmen do that, no matter how good they may be.

That "perhaps" got way smaller after today. Not in an overreacting sense because he'll still be in the top 3, but defense has been a problem for him and getting benched for not being able to stop somebody on Mercer obviously does nothing to help there. If Embiid's back injury checks out as a huge red flag and Utah ends up with the first pick, maybe they'd pick Parker.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #444
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
That "perhaps" got way smaller after today. Not in an overreacting sense because he'll still be in the top 3, but defense has been a problem for him and getting benched for not being able to stop somebody on Mercer obviously does nothing to help there. If Embiid's back injury checks out as a huge red flag and Utah ends up with the first pick, maybe they'd pick Parker.
NCAA tournament loss didn't hurt Kyrie Irving. Parker wasn't even the worst potential top 10 pick on that floor - Rodney Hood might've played himself out of the lottery.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #445
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Of course a tense KU game will be on while I can't watch during my commute home

SI

Old 03-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #446
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Hahaha, look at this round man on Louisiana. It looks like Big Baby Davis ate Khalid El-Amin. And he's hitting step-back jumpers!

(I'd say I've given up on the UMass game.)
Old 03-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #447
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hahaha, look at this round man on Louisiana. It looks like Big Baby Davis ate Khalid El-Amin. And he's hitting step-back jumpers!

(I'd say I've given up on the UMass game.)

You see the big dude on New Mexico State last night? He was a man of much size

SI

Old 03-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #448
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
You see the big dude on New Mexico State last night? He was a man of much size

SI
Oh, indeed. Apparently he's got a slightly smaller freshman brother there (only 7'3, 320) who redshirted this year. Twin towers next year.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #449
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Big picture, 1st tournament berth in 16 years after like 5 years near the bubble, so overall a successful season. But sure doesn't feel great right now. I guess the best news is that Duke getting upset will somewhat overshadow that performance. Maybe Creighton and Kansas (sorry SI!) will lose too.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #450
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think if a 1 seed ever falls to a 16 seed it has to be something similar to the Kansas situation.