Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #401
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Child sex offense and battery convictions are black and white. You either have them or you don't. And if you have them, you're eligible to play football for LSU (subject to a vote by your peers, apparently) And I imagine his status as a football player helped him with sentencing as well.

It (the sexual offense) happened before he even signed a LOI for LSU. And yes, a misdemeanor sexual offense and/or battery charge can't automatically bar you from a LSU football scholarship. Or an academic scholarship, for that matter.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #402
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
It (the sexual offense) happened before he even signed a LOI for LSU.

That actually makes LSU look even worse.

(Edit: looking into it, I guess he got the blowjob from the child, then committed to LSU, THEN he was arrested/charged. So LSU didn't necessarily know about it at the time he signed on. Though they did obviously decide to keep him on. But it doesn't seem like THAT decision was as controversial as the one to keep him on after punching the guy and laughing about it. I think the latter isn't quite as bad at the former. I can't believe a major college football program like that has a guy with a child sex conviction on the roster.)

Last edited by molson : 08-06-2013 at 01:22 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #403
Logan
Head Coach

More coming out. The third one is the most potentially damning.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #404
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

motherfucker
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #405
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Vegas dropped the A&M win total from 9.5 to 7. He's fucked.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #406
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Vegas dropped the A&M win total from 9.5 to 7. He's fucked.

It's actually on the board though? 7 seems like a super value bet even with another QB. Their schedule is pretty light... outside of Alabama and LSU the rest of their opponents are pretty weak.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #407
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Poor Johnny "Fucking" Football.

I think these rules are pretty silly, but they are the rules.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #408
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
It's actually on the board though? 7 seems like a super value bet even with another QB. Their schedule is pretty light... outside of Alabama and LSU the rest of their opponents are pretty weak.

I thought I heard that on the radio but could be mistaken
Old 08-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #409
Logan
Head Coach

Old 08-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #410
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wait, I thought there was nothing to see here re: Johnny Football?????
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #411
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Plenty to see, but until we see cash...
Old 08-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #412
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

No, there is nothing to see here re: Missouri Football.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #413
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
No, there is nothing to see here re: Missouri Football.

Oh, I see what you did there!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #414
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Looks like A&M odds are being pulled off the board in Vegas. They dropped from 9.5 to 7 today and now they're not taking bets.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #415
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A&M has retained the law firm that Auburn used during the Cam Newton saga.

Texas A&M retains law firm for Johnny Manziel matter
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #416
molson
General Manager

"ESPN was offered a chance to purchase the two videos, but declined. Reporter Joe Schad viewed the videos and reported on what he saw. The videos were recorded without the redshirt sophomore's knowledge, according to the broker.

The broker also says he will not cooperate with an NCAA investigation ESPN first reported on Sunday, one that threatens Manziel's eligibility if it is proven he took money for autographs, a violation of the association's rules."

So the broker showed ESPN the videos, but wanted money to actually hand them over. ESPN didn't pay up, and just reported on the content of the videos they saw instead (ha, sucker). But the guy says he's not going to talk to the NCAA. Unless presumably, they're willing to pay him.

Edit: I think they're going to need more than an "autograph broker" (who won't talk to them anyway) before they do anything.

Last edited by molson : 08-06-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #417
bhlloy
Coordinator

I imagine he's going to get paid under the table for not talking to the NCAA
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #418
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
"ESPN was offered a chance to purchase the two videos, but declined. Reporter Joe Schad viewed the videos and reported on what he saw. The videos were recorded without the redshirt sophomore's knowledge, according to the broker.

The broker also says he will not cooperate with an NCAA investigation ESPN first reported on Sunday, one that threatens Manziel's eligibility if it is proven he took money for autographs, a violation of the association's rules."

So the broker showed ESPN the videos, but wanted money to actually hand them over. ESPN didn't pay up, and just reported on the content of the videos they saw instead (ha, sucker). But the guy says he's not going to talk to the NCAA. Unless presumably, they're willing to pay him.

Or they could hire him on like they did with the Shapiro lawyer in the Miami case.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #419
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Unless these videos surface publicly, and actually involve Manziel taking money or explicitly asking for it, I don't see how he gets suspended more than 2 games.

(And I can add that on to the Jeremy Hill story - he wouldn't be the poster boy for people getting in to bar fights and Gregg Doyel wouldn't be writing about him unless that video went public.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #420
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Unless these videos surface publicly, and actually involve Manziel taking money or explicitly asking for it, I don't see how he gets suspended more than 2 games.

(And I can add that on to the Jeremy Hill story - he wouldn't be the poster boy for people getting in to bar fights and Gregg Doyel wouldn't be writing about him unless that video went public.)

I don't think these videos will stay private for long. Someone will pay this guy what he wants for the exclusive rights.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #421
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't think these videos will stay private for long. Someone will pay this guy what he wants for the exclusive rights.

There's no way they stay private. None.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #422
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
There's no way they stay private. None.
Sure there is. An A&M booster offers more money than TMZ. But more importantly, if it's just Manziel signing items and the asking for/exchange of money occurs off-camera I don't see the NCAA acting expediently or suspending him more than those first 2 games.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #423
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Sure there is. An A&M booster offers more money than TMZ.

dingdingding. Or Manziel's family, if they have money. Or the agent he's already going to sign with next year. The NCAA's going to have to get a subpoena to even sniff those tapes and he's going to walk.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #424
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Tapes that are known about don't stay hidden these days.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #425
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
dingdingding. Or Manziel's family, if they have money. Or the agent he's already going to sign with next year. The NCAA's going to have to get a subpoena to even sniff those tapes and he's going to walk.

This is my favorite part of the whole saga. The rich parents thing has been the magic bullet that explains away all of the jet-setting offseason stories. They're such enablers that they wanted to get JFFMOM and JFFDAD license plates. If his parents are wealthy enough to finance his regiment of courtside seats, concert tickets, and rounds at Pebble Beach (and clearly have no issue with doing so), why would he even take the time to sign autographs for $10k when he could just ask for it?
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #426
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
This is my favorite part of the whole saga. The rich parents thing has been the magic bullet that explains away all of the jet-setting offseason stories. They're such enablers that they wanted to get JFFMOM and JFFDAD license plates. If his parents are wealthy enough to finance his regiment of courtside seats, concert tickets, and rounds at Pebble Beach (and clearly have no issue with doing so), why would he even take the time to sign autographs for $10k when he could just ask for it?

Even though he is incredibly famous and seems to come from a lot of money I am not sure that JFF 20-year old differs that much from a normal 20-year old. i.e. Who wouldn't love to have $10,000 party money on the side?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #427
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Even though he is incredibly famous and seems to come from a lot of money I am not sure that JFF 20-year old differs that much from a normal 20-year old. i.e. Who wouldn't love to have $10,000 party money on the side?

Not to mention he likely feels like he has a right to profit from his own success.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #428
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Edit: I think they're going to need more than an "autograph broker" (who won't talk to them anyway) before they do anything.

This is my favorite line in relation to the brokers:

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe 15h

Two autograph brokers who shared their stories with me said Johnny Manziel is a good guy and they hope he plays this season

Awesome.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #429
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Tapes that are known about don't stay hidden these days.

What about the tape of the Toronto mayor smoking crack? That one never got released.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #430
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This is getting downright embarrassing for the NCAA....

NCAA selling Reggie Bush autographs from vacated bowl game - NFL.com

Edit: Here's the string of embarrassments from Jay Bilas as it happened yesterday....

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...n-case-photos/

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-07-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #431
molson
General Manager

I love how the NCAA is itself a shady autograph broker. Maybe they're the same one trying to bring down Manziel.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #432
Logan
Head Coach

And we're off...

If Johnny Manziel signed bulk autographs, was he the only one? - Good Bull Hunting
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #433
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

In one of the stories the broker or whoever was at or on their way to the title game. This is not even remotely an isolated incident.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #434
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
In one of the stories the broker or whoever was at or on their way to the title game. This is not even remotely an isolated incident.

Saw a post on another board I read where a guy said that he has a friend who is involved in this all the time. It always takes place in hotel rooms, they bring the kid in, he signs a bunch of stuff, he gets cash, and he leaves. Said he did it with Ingram and Richardson at Alabama, but also with many others.

Guy wasn't bragging or doing so to make claims against players...but in a "no big deal, everyone does this" way. And as long as these kids aren't morons (hello Johnny), everything is fine and the game keeps going.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #435
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
And as long as these kids aren't morons (hello Johnny), everything is fine and the game keeps going.

I must have missed something. In this scenario, what did Manziel do differently than any of the other players? I thought this only came to light because a broker was shopping tape of it?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #436
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Johnny signed 300+ for 4 different brokers.
It happens at every school, hell I can give you the names of the signature hounds at Clemson and SCar....the difference is Johnny got greedy and played with several different guys and told each he was exclusive to them, hence devaluing their investment.

I've also been told that, Johnny Football allegedly told one sleaze ball he wanted new "blades" on his SUV that cost $6,0000 and Dad said he was stupid...

Last edited by CU Tiger : 08-08-2013 at 05:58 AM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #437
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

TCU coach Gary Patterson not a fan of LSU voting on discipline - ESPN Dallas

Quote:
"My whole team would vote Devonte to be back on the team because they all want to win," Patterson said. "That doesn't teach life lessons."
Old 08-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #438
Atocep
Coordinator

Pitt lost its 13th player since the start of spring drills. Pitt people saying more are expected to leave. Chryst has supposedly inherited a mess of a locker room and he's trying to clean up the culture there. With the way he's recruiting it could be rough the next couple of years.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #439
nol
Banned

Quote:

What I meant is that $10k evaporates pretty quickly when you're doing Johnny Football things. I just thought it was funny how the media is getting worked up over this original figure -- they need to give themselves room to get even more outraged when the inevitable investigation reveals that the $10,000 was just the tip of the iceberg
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #440
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This all shows stupidity on so many levels. Apparently he wanted new rims for his car and his Dad wouldn't buy them. Wonder what his plan was to tell his Dad when he showed up with the new rims.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #441
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This all shows stupidity on so many levels. Apparently he wanted new rims for his car and his Dad wouldn't buy them. Wonder what his plan was to tell his Dad when he showed up with the new rims.

It does answer the question why he would be asking for money when his parents already have it. Maybe he wants to spend it on things his parents don't want him to.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #442
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wonder what his plan was to tell his Dad when he showed up with the new rims.

Same as his plan for everything else: "Fuck you, I'm Johnny Football."
Old 08-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #443
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Same as his plan for everything else: "Fuck you, I'm Johnny Football."

my thoughts exactly, which makes it an even dumber decision since NFL teams will love that attitude.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #444
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Pitt lost its 13th player since the start of spring drills. Pitt people saying more are expected to leave. Chryst has supposedly inherited a mess of a locker room and he's trying to clean up the culture there. With the way he's recruiting it could be rough the next couple of years.

The Todd Thomas thing is really odd...came out of nowhere.

Chryst must have some sort of guarantee that he's good for 4-5 years or something. Otherwise, sure, cleaning house and doing it "your way" is nice, but after a couple 2-9 seasons, there won't be a house to clean any longer.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #445
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
The Todd Thomas thing is really odd...came out of nowhere.

Chryst must have some sort of guarantee that he's good for 4-5 years or something. Otherwise, sure, cleaning house and doing it "your way" is nice, but after a couple 2-9 seasons, there won't be a house to clean any longer.

He came back...

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...l-team-698620/
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #446
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting read....

SEC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2013 | AthlonSports.com
Old 08-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #447
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Not to mention he likely feels like he has a right to profit from his own success.

He also has the right to break rules or be above them and expect no consequences? Just like with professional sports, big-time college sports live by a different set of rules because the rewards are so great. The comparisons to normal 20-yr olds (at least those that break rules and laws) is silly.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #448
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
He also has the right to break rules or be above them and expect no consequences? Just like with professional sports, big-time college sports live by a different set of rules because the rewards are so great. The comparisons to normal 20-yr olds (at least those that break rules and laws) is silly.

While my thinking on compensating players has changed over the years, this guy took a scholarship knowing what the current rules are. If they were too restrictive then he should do something other than play college football.

If it's found that he broke those rules then he should be punished accordingly.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #449
MrBug708
Head Coach

Tough break for USC as Marquise Lee leaves practice with a hurt shoulder. If it's anything serious, Kif better be getting his resume ready for the Cowboys or Seahawks
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #450
Kodos
Resident Alien

I can tell you are devastated.