Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #401
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Manning played s better game last week than Brady did today

More TDs, more turnovers. Not totally convinced that he did. About the same I reckon

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #402
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Congrats to the Ravens, you outplayed the Pats today. I was worried early when the Pats kept moving the ball but not putting points up, and that bit them.

My only real gripe is that CBS decided to show that stupid Unicorn commercial instead of giving us a freeze-frame of the moment the ball popped loose from Ridley to see if the butt or left knee was down. I'll be looking for that shot from someone tomorrow doing CBS' job for them.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #403
cuervo72
Head Coach

Can't let them go down the field too easy, defense.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #404
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
So, where does this performance put Brady in the rankings now. Does it drop him out of the top five?

Not as good as Eli Manning /Lathum
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #405
Dutch
"Dutch"

Damn, didn't realize that the Pats haven't won since they were caught cheating...that has to knock Brady way down.

Last edited by Dutch : 01-20-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #406
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
A dose of reality might toughen him up a bit. Missed opportunity.

As opposed to someone who pops out of the woodwork once their team gets ahead...
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #407
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
More TDs, more turnovers. Not totally convinced that he did. About the same I reckon

3tds and one fumble in regulation with losing two drives. 1st int still wasn't his fault
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #408
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
If people are going to take Peyton down a notch because he lost they have to do the same for Brady. Since Bellichick was caught cheating they haven't won a SB. They've lost twice in the SB with the superior team. They've now lost twice at home to the Ravens with the superior team. They also lost at home in the playoffs to Mark Sanchez with the superior team.

I wonder how many other teams would be deemed the premiere team in the league for nearly a decade without a title.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-20-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #409
kcchief19
Pro Starter

What do people mean by knocking Brady and Manning down? Are you talking about their all-time ranking or ranking among current quarterbacks? Short of stabbing somebody outside the Super Bowl, there is nothing these guys can do to lower their all-time rankings -- their legends.

As for their contemporary rankings, Brady was one of the last four standing. Peyton took fluke team from a year ago into the AFC's No. 1 seed and saw his coach cost him a playoff game. How does that ding them?

Are either of these guys as good as they were five years ago? No, that would be impossible. But until they stop going 13-3 or 12-4, it's hard to bet against them. Are there better QBs in the league right now? If I had take a QB to led my team in 2013 for one season, I'd take these two guys first.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #410
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
If people are going to take Peyton down a notch because he lost they have to do the same for Brady. Since Bellichick was caught cheating they haven't won a SB. They've lost twice in the SB with the superior team. They've now lost twice at home to the Ravens with the superior team. They also lost at home in the playoffs to Mark Sanchez with the superior team.

ive said it in the past, you can always count on NE to lose in the playoffs. they and Mannings teams offense always has a bad game and they lose. its like a January tradition
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #411
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
3tds and one fumble in regulation with losing two drives. 1st int still wasn't his fault

By that extension was the batted pass to the hands of a defender really Brady's fault? I mean we could play that game all day long. Stats are stats.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #412
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
As opposed to someone who pops out of the woodwork once their team gets ahead...

You need a hug.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #413
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I wonder how many other teams would be deemed the premiere team in the league for nearly a decade without a title.
The Yankees.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #414
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
What do people mean by knocking Brady and Manning down? Are you talking about their all-time ranking or ranking among current quarterbacks? Short of stabbing somebody outside the Super Bowl, there is nothing these guys can do to lower their all-time rankings -- their legends.

As for their contemporary rankings, Brady was one of the last four standing. Peyton took fluke team from a year ago into the AFC's No. 1 seed and saw his coach cost him a playoff game. How does that ding them?

Are either of these guys as good as they were five years ago? No, that would be impossible. But until they stop going 13-3 or 12-4, it's hard to bet against them. Are there better QBs in the league right now? If I had take a QB to led my team in 2013 for one season, I'd take these two guys first.

You obviously didn't read some people's posts after Denver lost last week
Old 01-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #415
rowech
Pro Starter

Are we ever going to realize home field doesn't mean squat when it comes to the NFL playoffs?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #416
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
By that extension was the batted pass to the hands of a defender really Brady's fault? I mean we could play that game all day long. Stats are stats.

Ok manning 88 qb rating, Brady 64. Stats are stats
Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #417
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

It's a shared responsibility, but the QB does share in the blame, sure.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #418
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok manning 88 qb rating, Brady 64. Stats are stats
If that's not passing rating but the modified QB rating that puts Mannigns fumble against him then I'd by it. If it's just passer rating without that fumble, i don;t buy it.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #419
Danny
Head Coach

I just thnk it's ridiculous the difference in reactions. Manning had hi team in a great position to win until the Morris blew that play. Brady never had his team in s position to win. Manning played better last week than Brady did this week, pretty easy to see that in my view
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #421
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If that's not passing rating but the modified QB rating that puts Mannigns fumble against him then I'd by it. If it's just passer rating without that fumble, i don;t buy it.

Well, how about 5 times inside the 25 with 1 TD.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #422
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

At least we know where Ray Lewis was during this incident.

Report: Fan stabbed following Falcons loss | www.ajc.com
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #423
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
ive said it in the past, you can always count on NE to lose in the playoffs. they and Mannings teams offense always has a bad game and they lose. its like a January tradition

Which teams are guaranteed to win in the playoffs?

I'll take the pats last 12 years over any other team's. It's been great fun to watch them. Though it's also fun to see the ravens get there.

Last edited by molson : 01-20-2013 at 09:00 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #424
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Brady just can't win the big one anymore... ex-elite?

thats the trade off when you bang supermodel pussy. if he was banging some ugly fat chick hed still be hungry to win
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #425
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thank you Ravens!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #426
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Damn, didn't realize that the Pats haven't won since they were caught cheating...that has to knock Brady way down.

2 Super Bowl appearances, playoffs every year except when Brady was hurt (and that was a fluke tiebreaker setup, they went 11-5), a Welker drop and a helmet catch / near sack / uncalled holding away from winning those 2 Super Bowls, ...

any disappointment I feel is because they spoiled me rotten during the early 2000s. I'll take it.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #427
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Thank you Ravens!!!

+1
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #428
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I know there was some talk as to if Tony G was going to retire or not. While there has been nothing official his post-game comments certainly make it seem like he isn't coming back.

Maybe that will change when he thinks on it.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #429
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Are you really this stupid or is this the new act of yours?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #430
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully Welker is done with his double secret agent work and when he moves on the Pats might finally win something.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #431
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

That's a lot of losing for a team that you claim is superior.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #432
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure that Screech is pulling for Cousin Jim over Cousin John
Old 01-21-2013, 02:17 AM   #433
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Need to see replay to gauge if ball was coming out not sure on first glance
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
My only real gripe is that CBS decided to show that stupid Unicorn commercial instead of giving us a freeze-frame of the moment the ball popped loose from Ridley to see if the butt or left knee was down. I'll be looking for that shot from someone tomorrow doing CBS' job for them.
+everything... Yeah, it's retrospective to say that decided the game, but it was pretty obviously the pivotal play of the game to that point... and CBS goes to a 3 minute commercial and cuts back just in time for the refs announcement instead of showing ANY replays. (For the record, I don't feel it was clear enough to overturn the call on the field, but I disagree with the refs "Confirming" the call on the field... although that's based on a couple later replays and nothing in slow-mo at the time.)
Quote:
For 4 years the Patriots were regarded as less talented and lucky, yet still won 3 SB's, and now they're a clearly superior team that loses every time. Maybe once you get down to the top 5-6 teams in the playoffs luck plays a bigger factor than anyone and their narratives want to admit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
ive said it in the past, you can always count on NE to lose in the playoffs.
Although, in their defense, the fact you can count on them being there is worth something...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 AM   #434
DougW
High School Varsity

The Lions own the Super Bowl. I am so sick of no one being able to take it from us.

Oh well, maybe next year you NFL clowns will put up a team that can beat us.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #435
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Are you really this stupid or is this the new act of yours?

Buccaneer, you gotta keep it in perspective. Anybody that gets so mad at a football game that they call the other players cheaters and murderers deserves to get ribbed a bit. I enjoyed giving DT and his Pats the business because that.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #436
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Well, how about 5 times inside the 25 with 1 TD.

One word...

Gronk.

With all this talk about legacies, the biggest thing to factor into the equation might be the fact that Brady's most valuable weapon (and a first team All-Pro) went down injured right before their next subsequent loss in three of the past four seasons. I'm not sure how the Giants would have done without Nicks last year, or the Packers without Jennings in 2010, or the Colts without Wayne in 2006 if they had each lost those respective players the game before. And while you can say that there are other good players, the coverages shift around more which means those next top guys (Cruz, Nelson, Harrison, etc.) have more attention and in turn, less room to work with.

And while I'm aware of the Patriots scoring numbers this year with Gronk in the lineup as opposed to without, the fact is that he's arguably the biggest matchup nightmare in the league and (when healthy) the best overall player at his position.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but when you get to this stage (final 4, even final 8), luck plays a huge factor and the Patriots have been extremely unlucky over the past 5 seasons. I honestly can't remember team's losing offensive playmakers at this level and being successful.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #437
Kodos
Resident Alien

So is Tom Brady a choker?

(Sorry that I'm late to the discussion -- just finished watching the game this morning.)
Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #438
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
One word...

Gronk.

With all this talk about legacies, the biggest thing to factor into the equation might be the fact that Brady's most valuable weapon (and a first team All-Pro) went down injured right before their next subsequent loss in three of the past four seasons. I'm not sure how the Giants would have done without Nicks last year, or the Packers without Jennings in 2010, or the Colts without Wayne in 2006 if they had each lost those respective players the game before. And while you can say that there are other good players, the coverages shift around more which means those next top guys (Cruz, Nelson, Harrison, etc.) have more attention and in turn, less room to work with.

And while I'm aware of the Patriots scoring numbers this year with Gronk in the lineup as opposed to without, the fact is that he's arguably the biggest matchup nightmare in the league and (when healthy) the best overall player at his position.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but when you get to this stage (final 4, even final 8), luck plays a huge factor and the Patriots have been extremely unlucky over the past 5 seasons. I honestly can't remember team's losing offensive playmakers at this level and being successful.

Still kind of telling though. It would have been interesting to see what happens with Gronk being healthy and Talib finishing the game.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #439
Kodos
Resident Alien

Because no other teams have dealt with injuries to key players?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #440
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Because no other teams have dealt with injuries to key players?

Every team deals with injuries. Ladarius Webb is the Ravens best corner and they've been without him most of the year. But there is a big difference between losing your best offensive playmaker (and the best player in the league at his position) the game before and "dealing with injuries."
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #441
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Just like last year where I think the difference was Hernandez's lack of mobility may have been the difference in the Super Bowl, this year it was Gronk's absence for a team that is built around a 2TE offense. May have been the difference in winning but certainly the difference in being shutout in the 2nd half.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #442
JediKooter
Coordinator

Colts owner sent $8,500 to a fan who guessed the correct Ravens-Pats score | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #443
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Gronkowski was a huge talent coming out of college. But he didn't play the year before he was drafted because he was injured. His injury risk is why the Pats got him in the second round instead of him going as a top-ten pick. And we saw some of that play out last season with him being injured for the Super Bowl.

So, I don't have a ton of sympathy for the argument that the Pats were sunk because their injury-prone player was injured. They may have wanted to run a 2TE offense, but that was a very risky gameplan around which to base the team's success. Part of successful planning has to account for the strengths and weaknesses of your team--including injury prone players.

Because I like watching great players, I hope that he dedicates himself to keeping his body in shape and re-defines the position over the next 10 years. But I suspect that within 5 years he'll be out of football and starting a successful career as a reality-TV and/or action movie star.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #444
Logan
Head Coach

I also don't have much sympathy for the argument that with Talib out, they simply couldn't cover anyone. Or I should say...I understand the argument, but that's your front office's problem. It's not like Talib was a long-term fixture there that they could ever envision leaving the field. He's a guy they were able to acquire after week 8, when he was still serving a PED suspension and when Schiano and co grew tired of him. If you're relying on a trade deadline acquisition to have just an adequate secondary, you're in a bad spot.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #445
DanGarion
Coordinator

Injuries happen. How a team overcomes them is part of the game. Look at the Niners, Smith went down and Kaepernick came in and succeeded. Justin Smith went down and it knocked the Niners out of home field advantage throughout the playoffs.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #446
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I also don't have much sympathy for the argument that with Talib out, they simply couldn't cover anyone. Or I should say...I understand the argument, but that's your front office's problem. It's not like Talib was a long-term fixture there that they could ever envision leaving the field. He's a guy they were able to acquire after week 8, when he was still serving a PED suspension and when Schiano and co grew tired of him. If you're relying on a trade deadline acquisition to have just an adequate secondary, you're in a bad spot.

I'm kind of surprised a defensive coach with a yearly large haul of draft picks continues to have such a piss poor secondary. That has cost them SB wins more than anything.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #447
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Gronkowski was a huge talent coming out of college. But he didn't play the year before he was drafted because he was injured. His injury risk is why the Pats got him in the second round instead of him going as a top-ten pick. And we saw some of that play out last season with him being injured for the Super Bowl.

So, I don't have a ton of sympathy for the argument that the Pats were sunk because their injury-prone player was injured. They may have wanted to run a 2TE offense, but that was a very risky gameplan around which to base the team's success. Part of successful planning has to account for the strengths and weaknesses of your team--including injury prone players.

Because I like watching great players, I hope that he dedicates himself to keeping his body in shape and re-defines the position over the next 10 years. But I suspect that within 5 years he'll be out of football and starting a successful career as a reality-TV and/or action movie star.
I'm not sold on the injury-prone designation. I haven't delved too much into his college history, but I thought he had a back injury - which could be a serious, recurring problem, but has yet to be one in the NFL. Instead he had a gruesome ankle injury where any normal human would have torn multiple ligaments, and then a pretty freak forearm break. Maybe he really is injury-prone, or maybe he just got unlucky there.

I also think there is a difference between using injuries as an excuse, or as an explanation. Injuries are part of the luck factor in any year, (just like fumble recoveries, or opposing DB's deciding to allow last-minute hail mary's) and I know I'm certainly not claiming the Patriots deserved to win, or definitely would have with those two (three if you count Ridley due to us losing the ball due to his injury) players healthy. But yes, they would have changed the game (just like the Ravens having Lardarius Webb would have, or the 49ers having a healthy Justin Smith, etc), and given that the modern NFL doesn't allow you to stockpile depth injuries to important players can play an outsize role.

By the way, one thing I don't recall seeing mentioned almost anywhere when people are hating on Welker or calling him a choker for that drop - anyone want to place odds on him having a concussion then? He got rocked and took a few seconds to get up either the previous play or two before, and then he drops a really simple pass right in front of him... I doubt that's entirely coincidental.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #448
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hernandez is more injury prone than Gronk IMO.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #449
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Hernandez is more injury prone than Gronk IMO.
Hernandez also has alligator arms, and loses 1-2 yards almost every time he catches a pass because he runs backwards to avoid getting hit head on. (I might not be his biggest fan.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-24-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #450
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

When Gronk was coming out of college, it wasn't so much the "injury prone" designation that caused him to slide, it was, as BishopMVP pointed out, the back injury, which if I recall, was originally injured while lifting weights. That was followed by surgery causing him to miss a full season. There were also rumors floating around about possible spinal stenosis but I think those were shot down.

Regardless, the Patriots definitely got him where they did because of his injury history. However, I don't think it's fair to say they are reaping what they sow in this instance. I could see that argument if Gronkowski was having continual back issues, but these appear to be two separate freak incidents. It seems a lot like how Matthew Stafford got tagged with the injury prone label (and still carries it to a degree) from some freak isolated injuries in his first few seasons.