Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #401
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
If you score a TD on the first possession, the game ends. If you kick a FG or punt, it becomes sudden death.

Ok thanks. Big whoop, I thought it changed more than that.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #402
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Niners might have won if they had a single capable WR.

Truth.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #403
Grover
Pro Starter

Could ESPN become more insufferable in the next two weeks than it had been during Tebowmania? I say yes.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #404
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'm not a Niner fan, but it makes me sad they lost for some reason
Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #405
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

At least the Harbaugh brothers can spend the Super Bowl together as family should - together at home on someone's couch.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #406
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, once the Giants figured out you cover Davis and Gore and you shut down the passing game, it didn't look like the Niners could move the ball at all. The playcalling seemed pretty bad down the stretch but realistically when you are playing without a single receiver I'm not sure what you can expect. I am surprised they abandoned the run and the screen game so quickly, Smith in a dropback offense looked pretty bad
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #407
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Could ESPN become more insufferable in the next two weeks than it had been during Tebowmania? I say yes.

Christ, I'm not even going to try and watch ESPN. Save myself some time and just put the David Tyree catch on loop wherever I go instead.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #408
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Hmmm. Well, my gut says the Pats will take this one, but I think it'll be a good game. I was so hoping to walk around Indy sporting an old Harbaugh Colts jersey! Oh well, maybe I'll pick up a cheap Cruz jersey and root for my fantasy team member. That's all I got. East Coast will love this Super Bowl and it'll get ratings because it is the Super Bowl, but how much will west of the Appalachians care about this rematch? The drama the first one had won't be there. Still, it'll be fun to hang around Indy that night.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #409
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I think the thing that puzzled me was why they didn't replace Williams at PR? It was pretty clear from the get-go that he was an adventure back there.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #410
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yeah, once the Giants figured out you cover Davis and Gore and you shut down the passing game, it didn't look like the Niners could move the ball at all. The playcalling seemed pretty bad down the stretch but realistically when you are playing without a single receiver I'm not sure what you can expect. I am surprised they abandoned the run and the screen game so quickly, Smith in a dropback offense looked pretty bad

The one thing that makes me feel better is that I think the Pats would've had their way with the 49ers in the Super Bowl. Belichek is great at finding your biggest strength and neutralizing it. Trying to watch Crabtree catch a ball while the world is watching would have been nauseating.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 01-22-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #411
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, what's the Super Bowl opening line going to be? I say Pats -4.5
Old 01-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #412
BillJasper
Pro Starter

That is one ugly ass trophy.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #413
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
The one thing that makes me feel better is that I think the Pats would've had their way with the 49ers in the Super Bowl. Belichek is great at finding your biggest strength and neutralizing it. Trying to watch Crabtree catch a ball while the world is watching would have been nauseating.

This is another reason I was hoping for the 49ers.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #414
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I'm not a Niner fan, but it makes me sad they lost for some reason

I kindof was wanting them in the Super Bowl to see the good offense versus a good defense thing (and mediocre offense vs mediocre defense)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-22-2012 at 09:47 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #415
sooner333
College Starter

Well, at least I wasn't there like I was in the 97 season against GB. That sucks though.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #416
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'm scaring myself as I'm leaning towards wanting the Pats to win. I swore to myself I'd never root for them in a Superbowl after they beat Carolina. Argh.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #417
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Opening Line in Vegas is in: Pats -3
Old 01-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #418
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I think the thing that puzzled me was why they didn't replace Williams at PR? It was pretty clear from the get-go that he was an adventure back there.

This. I think Carlos Rogers has returned punts before? There must have been somebody else on the team who can fair catch a damn ball. That or you just try an all-out block every single time and tell him if he tries not to fair catch one punt you'll cut him as the first thing you do after the game.

I mean I know nobody wants to accept defeat and PR can be a big part of the game but damn. Just asking for trouble every time it was kicked to him.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #419
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I never thought Ted Ginn being out of a game would cost a team so much. Lol wut?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #420
BillJasper
Pro Starter

So at this point does Coughlin have the Giants job for as long as he wants it?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #421
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Sigh. Hard to be angry at Williams, he's the second option for kick returns. And honestly, he may be the best WR the 49ers have. Good lord though, why would you even think about returning the kick? Fair catch or get the hell away, especially after you already muffed one.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #422
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Text from my brother in law, a Steelers fan stuck in Baltimore

Quote:
You know what's better than one whiny, bitchface Harbaugh losing?

I sort of wish they still had the staff of the losing team in the championship games coach the Pro Bowl, so we could still hear more about the Harbaugh Bowl
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #423
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, I'd love to go to the Super Bowl but with tickets having 000 at the end of the price, I have to pass.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #424
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

It's a shame this game will be remembered for Williams muffs and not the miserable 3rd down conversions.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #425
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Sigh. Hard to be angry at Williams, he's the second option for kick returns. And honestly, he may be the best WR the 49ers have. Good lord though, why would you even think about returning the kick? Fair catch or get the hell away, especially after you already muffed one.

Wow, I didn't realize that was the same guy. Disasterous night for him.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #426
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So at this point does Coughlin have the Giants job for as long as he wants it?

Interesting to think about how much there is a love/hate fest for him and wondering if he is going to keep his job, and yet, he might get his second title and be considered Hall-of-Fame worthy.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #427
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think there's at least a chance that the Giants give the Patriots a game. I really didn't see any chance of the 49ers doing the same, so this was about as good as it could have turned out as far as the SB goes (once NE won their game).
Old 01-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #428
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just got everyone out of my house and cleaned up. Wow, what a game. Not the prettiest but in the end Eli made plays and Aex Smith didn't, which is what I thought it would come down to.

Obviously the storyline will be the 2 muffed punts and it should be, but the way Eli continues to hang in there after getting knocked on his ass repeatedly showed some real heart. The niners front 7 is just silly.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #429
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think there's at least a chance that the Giants give the Patriots a game. I really didn't see any chance of the 49ers doing the same.

Where does this come from?

The 49ers were 2nd in the league in scoring defense and beat some good teams this year. (Pitt, NO, at Det, Giants)

I really dont understand why people think if the niners had won why the game would have been so lopsided. The 49ers may not have a top offense but IMO they had the best defense in the league this year.

The Giants looked like a complete joke a few times this year atleast the 49ers seemed to bring some energy everytime out athough the Cards loss may be debatable.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-22-2012 at 10:37 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #430
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Where does this come from?

The 49ers were 2nd in the league in scoring defense and beat some good teams this year. (Pitt, NO, at Det, Giants)

I really dont understand why people think if the niners had won why the game would have been so lopsided. The 49ers may not have a top offense but IMO they had the best defense in the league this year.

The Giants looked like a complete joke a few times this year atleast the 49ers seemed to bring some energy everytime out athough the Cards loss may be debatable.

You should realize by now that Jon does not watch football that is played West of the Mississippi river.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #431
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think there's at least a chance that the Giants give the Patriots a game. I really didn't see any chance of the 49ers doing the same, so this was about as good as it could have turned out as far as the SB goes (once NE won their game).

I agree that the Niners would have gotten crushed by the Pats as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #432
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
You should realize by now that Jon does not watch football that is played West of the Mississippi river.

Yeah, especially since I'm the only guy here who has said anything of that sort.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #433
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

See, I completely disagree with you here, and call into question your ability to judge players.

Crabtree against Texas, in the biggest game of his life? HUGE PLAYS.

To pick out Crabtree (who admittedly isn't one of my favorite players) for a perceived lack of clutch performance is dubious.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #434
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I think you and others may be putting too much into last season and preseason expectations. Being the Steelers fan that you are they were a west coach version of some of your teams. Hardest hitting/hardest working defense in the league this year. I think the Pats would have been favored but I wouldnt have seen the Pats winning by more than a touchdown. It wasnt hard for teams to move the ball on the Pats this year so I think the 49ers could have kept the Pats under 30 and scored 3 tds themselves. I guess it doesnt matter now.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-22-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #435
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Text from my brother in law, a Steelers fan stuck in Baltimore

I sort of wish they still had the staff of the losing team in the championship games coach the Pro Bowl, so we could still hear more about the Harbaugh Bowl

It's nice to see that you can marry into schadenfreude.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #436
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Couldnt have asked for two better games on championship Sunday. Finally some clutch defense was played in some games. Dont see much of that anymore.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #437
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think the niners would have given the Pats a hell of a game.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #438
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

+1

though I expect NY to as well.
I think Brady and the hoodie will be uber focused on revenge....and given the chance they will challenege the XXIX scoring record.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #439
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I also think that the Niners would of given the pats a great game.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #440
sabotai
General Manager

I don't like how the Giant D matches up against the Pats O, but I like how the Giants O matches up against the Pats D. I think it'll be a high(ish) scoring game. Think both get around 30 points and it should be a good game.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #441
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I also think that the Niners would of given the pats a great game.

In seeing how many TDs were scored by TEs.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #442
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

LOL that was golden
Old 01-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #443
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
See, I completely disagree with you here, and call into question your ability to judge players.

Crabtree against Texas, in the biggest game of his life? HUGE PLAYS.

To pick out Crabtree (who admittedly isn't one of my favorite players) for a perceived lack of clutch performance is dubious.

Thanks for proving my point.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 01-23-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #444
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

I'm not a fan of either team, but I can't see how the Giants aren't favored. They've always matched up well defensively, and their offense is better than the 2008 model. Not to mention the Patriots defense isn't exactly a wall. All the respect in the world for Belichick, but I'm seeing the Giants in this one.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #445
spleen1015
Coordinator

Grats to the Giants on another Super Bowl victory. Grats to Eli for passing Peyton and now ESPN will push the story that you're better than him because you've played on better teams than him even though we all know that Peyton is the best player to ever play QB in the history of the universe.

History. Remember it. Patriots won't win because history says so!

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #446
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Well, ESPN will probably be covering both teams a lot because they're actually participating in the Super Bowl, I think that's pretty standard, and quite a bit different than consistently covering a bad QB on an average team as the #1 story in all of sports.

Last edited by molson : 01-23-2012 at 08:05 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #447
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Wow, I didn't realize that was the same guy. Disasterous night for him.

Not only that, but earlier he had a punt that must have gotten held up in the wind and he dove to catch it with several guys around him. It was an amazing catch, but damn, he should have let that one go, too.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #448
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Everyone is still bitching and moaning about the forward progress call. Am I missing something, or didn't the whistle blow to stop that play? I agree that the play was stopped too soon, but there was nothing they could do to overturn the call since the whistle blew the play dead, right? That was on the ref who stopped the play, not on the replay for failing to overturn it, because I don't think they could have.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #449
bronconick
College Starter

From a neutral point of view, I'm just disappointed that both games ended because of special teams' cockups.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #450
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Everyone is still bitching and moaning about the forward progress call. Am I missing something, or didn't the whistle blow to stop that play? I agree that the play was stopped too soon, but there was nothing they could do to overturn the call since the whistle blew the play dead, right? That was on the ref who stopped the play, not on the replay for failing to overturn it, because I don't think they could have.

I'm a Niner fan upset with the call, and I knew it couldn't be reviewed.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote