Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #401
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Lucky for the Celtics/Cavs matchup as the rest of this 2nd round has been a complete joke.

Despite the 3-0 lead the Lakers-Jazz has been entertaining. I still can't believe Matthews' tip-in didn't fall.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:40 AM   #402
whomario
Pro Starter

The games itself were great in the west ...

Steve Nash !!! Great 4th quarter despite basically just having 1 eye functioning.
Hope the jazz extend the series so that he can get some rest and have that heel a bit and maybe for Robin Lopez getting healthy enough to contribute.

Stoudemire with a pretty good game as well and this time Dudley was hot off the bench.

Very classy reactions by the Spurs to the loss. Tony Parker with great game on a bum shoulder.

Last edited by whomario : 05-10-2010 at 03:31 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #403
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The sad thing about the Celtics is they have the "big 3" who sort of won't turn the reigns over to Rondo. Celtics by 5 with 2 minutes left and the ball. Pierce calls for the ball and they post up Garnett who misses an awkward shot. Thankfull for them Rondo grabs a rebound and puts it back up.

Boston has a shot to win this series if those guys can check their egos and realize Rondo is the best player on the team.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #404
Groundhog
Coordinator

This series Rondo is really reminding me of Tony Parker in that horrible Spurs-Cavs final a few years ago. Just so damn annoying when he's playing against your team.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #405
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Orlando sweeps Atlanta and cruises into the Conference Finals. They set a record for point differential (+101) in a four game series.

I hope they don't get overconfident, whether it's Boston or Cleveland they'll be playing a pretty decent team next round. Boston (without Garnett) actually gave Orlando (without Nelson) a tougher time than Cleveland did last year, Rondo was great for most of that series though it was against the less than spectacular point guard combo of Rafer Alston and Anthony Johnson.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #406
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Lakers are up 20 just before halftime, looks like we'll have three sweeps in round two. Crazy.

If Cleveland - Boston goes seven will they start the Western Conference Finals before that series is over or will three teams be waiting for that series to end?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #407
whomario
Pro Starter

As far as i know they start on Sunday no matter what. Game 7 Bos/Cle would be Saturday anyway, so it wonīt be that much of a delay, propably Sunday West and then Monday/Tuesday game 1 in the east.

The Jazz looked so much better with a real Center in there tonight, i stand by my claim that with Okur theýd have had a legit shot to at least win 2 games...
Bynum doesnīt move well, if iīm the Suns i pick and roll him early and hard with whoever heīs guarding.

Gasol with 20/13 for the Playoffs so far including 4+ offensive boards a game.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #408
Danny
Head Coach

Lakers and Suns should be a good series.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:12 AM   #409
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #410
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Lakers vs. Suns should be fun. Lakers in 7 games.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #411
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

In four games, Dwight Howard shot 84.3% against the Hawks. No, not FT%... FG%.

WTF.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 05-11-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #412
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
In four games, Dwight Howard shot 84.3% against the Hawks. No, not FT%... FG%.

WTF.

A: The Hawks got too used to playing a team that did not have a Center.

i think it's clear now that there's no way the Hawks beat the Bucks if Bogut is healthy.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #413
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I still think the Suns will beat the Lakers. They are playing crisply, getting production from bench players and even have Collins coming back for extra size.
It's going to be a tough matchup for the Suns. If they can get Lopez back for 10-15 MPG, it will help. At the end, Phoenix's best chance is to play the Amare-Frye combo and hope the Lakers switch and their guards can get the bigs in foul trouble. Nash and company abused McDyuess and Blair in SA on those switches even though they were smaller.

Quote:
Imagine if they hadn't screwed themselves over multiple times by not signing Johnson and trading for Shaq and going into slowdown mode for two seasons.
I don't know. Joe Johnson turned into Diaw who turned into J-Rich and Dudley - who have been 2 of their top 5 players for the past month. Given how Joe would disappear routinely in big games for Phoenix - I'm not sure I'd want him over those two. The Porter/Shaq thing was a bit of a debacle and that cost them a year though.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #414
Galaril
Pro Starter

It really looks like the Cavs are getting "psyched out" with the foul calls all going against them right now. And what is up with The King and no FGs and just 2 points at the 3 minute mark of the 2nd?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #415
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It seems like Lebron isn't even trying. Just kind of standing off to the side. This is where a superstar is supposed to take over.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #416
larrymcg421
Head Coach

We'll probably find out after the game that his elbow/shoulder/knee/foot/pinky toe was hurting.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #417
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Sugar Ray!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #418
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe how bad of a coach Brown is. Why they have not gone small against the Celtics is beyond me.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #419
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
It's going to be a tough matchup for the Suns. If they can get Lopez back for 10-15 MPG, it will help. At the end, Phoenix's best chance is to play the Amare-Frye combo and hope the Lakers switch and their guards can get the bigs in foul trouble. Nash and company abused McDyuess and Blair in SA on those switches even though they were smaller.

I don't know. Joe Johnson turned into Diaw who turned into J-Rich and Dudley - who have been 2 of their top 5 players for the past month. Given how Joe would disappear routinely in big games for Phoenix - I'm not sure I'd want him over those two. The Porter/Shaq thing was a bit of a debacle and that cost them a year though.

1) Shaq cost them two playoff years.

2) Johnson turned into Diaw (who had one decent season and sucked horribly after that) and JRich. JRich is having one hell of a playoffs this year. 21.9 points per game, 50% from the field and three point land. 1 assist and 6.3 boards per game.

Here is Joe Johnson's final year in the playoffs with Phoenix: 18.8 points per game, 56% on threes, 3.3 assists, 4.3 boards.He was a 24 year old just about to enter his prime and he was the THIRD option. As he still would be.

They wasted 4 years before they A) Found a replacement for him and B) started to play fast again with a SG who had some game.

I'm convinced they would have won a title during that four year period. Hell, they almost did anyway if the NBA hadn't suspended half the team while allowing TD to get off with a free pass. Joe and choking in big games really didn't start until the last two playoff years.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #420
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Don't forget them selling their draft picks over the years.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #421
TroyF
Coordinator

This is an amazing game. I spoke of being worried about Cleveland before the playoffs. I talked ad nauseum about how badly I thought they looked against Chicago. I said if they played like they did against Chicago, i wasn't sure they could beat Boston. I'm sure I came off to some as a Cavs hater and a Magic fan.

Well, they have major, major issues. If Lebron is average, they simply can't win. And it doesn't matter if it's an elbow, a shoulder, a leg or his head. . . he's playing incredibly average. If we didn't know how good Lebron could play, we'd all be calling this series over right now. We know Bron could explode in the fourth quarter of this game or dominate the next two games and carry the Cavs on his back. We know he could lead em to the title.

The problem for Cleveland is that's the only way it's going to happen. he's going to have to play 1 on 5 and hope it's enough to get by the Celtics, Magic and then the Suns/Spurs. I'm sorry. . . Bron isn't showing me any signs that he can do that right now and I'm seriously doubting he will. Even if they somehow come back and pull off a miracle win, the entire team should be ashamed of their performance tonight.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #422
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Don't forget them selling their draft picks over the years.

Yup, no question there. Very good point.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #423
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Blazers made a nice living on the Suns draft picks
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #424
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I think the problem is simpler than that. The Cavs are playing a style that doesn't cater to their best player. Why they continue to sit Hickson and not run on the Celtics with a small lineup is beyond me.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #425
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The Blazers made a nice living on the Suns draft picks
The Bulls got Luol Deng which was nice.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #426
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm starting to wonder if I've been making a mistake by rooting for Boston throughout this series. If they advance and keep playing like this they'll give Orlando some problems in the conference finals.

Last edited by Big Fo : 05-11-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #427
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

You would rather play Boston. Lebron is still the best player in the world and they have more talent than anyone in the league.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #428
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I'm starting to wonder if I've been making a mistake by rooting for Boston throughout this series. If they advance and keep playing like this they'll give Orlando some problems in the conference finals.

Totally agree. If you are Magic fan you should be rooting for the Cavs. the Celts aren't all that but the Cavs are still a joke.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #429
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
You would rather play Boston. Lebron is still the best player in the world and they have more talent than anyone in the league.

Well the best team in the league is down at home in game five by 20 right now.

Last edited by Galaril : 05-11-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #430
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Well the best team in the league is down at home in game five by 20 right now.
I've been watching the entire season and know that you want to avoid Lebron at all costs. I'd rather take my shot against a good team who I have more talent than over a team with the greatest player in the world who can be unstoppable at times.

Last edited by RainMaker : 05-11-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #431
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So how do Cavs fans mourn LBJ's last home game?
DeToxRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #432
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

LeBron might be the league's best player but I don't rate Mo Williams, Jamison, 2010 Shaq, and the rest of that team very highly. Boston has four good to very good players who have won a title together recently. It's hard to say which team would give Orlando a more difficult series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter
The Cavs are making Atlanta's effort look like Herb Brooks' kids in Lake Placid.

This is pretty good imo.

edit to add another one that just popped up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by same guy
As job security goes, the CEO of BP is feeling better about things than Mike Brown right now.

Last edited by Big Fo : 05-11-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #433
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

1) Best player in the world? Correct.

2) More talent than anyone in the league? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FREAKIN MIND?

Are you even watching the games this playoffs? Forget the regular season, look at the post season. Exactly where are these other talented players? Shaq? Moe? Jamison? Delonte? Parker? Are some of these guys stepping up when I've been asleep?

The funny thing is, I'm not sure the Magic have to worry about either of these teams because it's clear to me THEY are the most talented team in the league.

Chicago got any shot they wanted on the Cavs for most of the series. As Chicago's offense sucks and they can't shoot, they didn't score enough to beat the Cavs. Boston is getting everything they want this series.Orlando is better than Boston or Chicago on offense and actually better than both of those teams on defense.

At any rate, your second statement is plain wrong. I've been saying it all playoff long, if lebron isn't in THE KING mode, Cleveland has no chance. If they truly had the best talent in the league, that wouldn't be the case. They have the best player in the world (who is playing like the second best player on the floor against Boston) and they have a team of spare parts who Lebron makes whole. They don't have the best talent in the league.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #434
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Heh. Midway through the 3rd quarter, Bill Simmons tweeted:

Quote:
Breaking news: ESPN's Ric Bucher reports that Cleveland has fired head coach Mike Brown.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #435
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Man, if you're the Cavs coach, there's only two real ways you can handle this... either go absolutely apenutters at them in the lockerroom, or walking in saying "Ok.. this only counts as one game. We can still win" and then walking out before you put the first option into play.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #436
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

They have talent. Jamison is a 20ppg scorer in the post. Mo is one of the better outside shooters in the league. Their bench has a little depth too. And don't forget the best player in the world who just had one of the most dominating seasons in NBA history.

And I haven't said that I think the Cavs have been great, I'm saying that I'd rather play a Celtics team who I know I'm better than vs a Cavs team that could see Lebron go into God mode for a couple weeks and destroy us.

You may forget that I'm the one who was shit on for saying Lebron doesn't have that killer instinct and focuses too much time on bullshit dances and showboating. The Cavs have more talent than Boston. Boston is using theirs better, playing harder, and has a competent coaching staff leading the way.

All Cleveland has to fucking do is go small against Boston. Everyone in the league did this in the 2nd half of the season. EVERYONE. Why you have Lebron James and don't run him is beyond me.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #437
McSweeny
College Starter

I think I need to see my doctor about this erection...

Holy shit that was fun!
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #438
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I could write a sprawling essay about how much LeBron isn't a winner. But I'll just simplify. He doesn't have the look of the champion. You can't see it in him. Guys like Bird, Magic, Isiah, Chauncey, Duncan, Wade, Kobe, Hakeem etc.....they all had this from time to time. He doesn't. He wants to be the 2nd option on a team, and the only way he will ever win a title is if he gets on a team with another legitimate superstar.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #439
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sign and trade for Artest and Bynum
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #440
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm like seriously >thisclose< to melting down.

I keep getting angrier and angrier.

Last edited by stevew : 05-11-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:24 AM   #441
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Sign and trade for Artest and Bynum

Sold! Throw in a couple of 1st rounders.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:31 AM   #442
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I could write a sprawling essay about how much LeBron isn't a winner. But I'll just simplify. He doesn't have the look of the champion. You can't see it in him. Guys like Bird, Magic, Isiah, Chauncey, Duncan, Wade, Kobe, Hakeem etc.....they all had this from time to time. He doesn't. He wants to be the 2nd option on a team, and the only way he will ever win a title is if he gets on a team with another legitimate superstar.

I remember the days when Jordan was never going to win a title too.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:41 AM   #443
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't remember the days when Jordan was anything but the best player on the court and had the most heart/desire to win PERIOD.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:46 AM   #444
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
The problem for Cleveland is that's the only way it's going to happen. he's going to have to play 1 on 5 and hope it's enough to get by the Celtics, Magic and then the Suns/Spurs. I'm sorry. . . Bron isn't showing me any signs that he can do that right now and I'm seriously doubting he will. Even if they somehow come back and pull off a miracle win, the entire team should be ashamed of their performance tonight.

Two things.

1) The Spurs got swept out of their series before you ever posted this.

2) Did you mean Lakers/Suns, or was that more in the vein of "whoever the Lakers play in the conference finals is going to beat them"?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #445
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Bulls got Luol Deng which was nice.

That was the same Deng they didn't want to trade for Kobe, right?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:59 AM   #446
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That was the same Deng they didn't want to trade for Kobe, right?
And Garnett and Gasol.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #447
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't know if it's about a look. I just think it's not his top priority. Or his reason for winning it is his legacy and not because he's a competitive guy.

I just look back at the stories about Bird, Isiah, Jordan and it's obvious that winning consumed them. It's all they cared about and all they strived for. For Lebron, I think it's something he wants but it's just part of a big puzzle. He wants to choreograph dance routines and throw chalk in the air as people take photos.

He'll be a Hall of Famer and I'll be shocked if he doesn't win a title in his career. But he's a rare physical specimen who should probably be winning title after title. I don't count him out just yet this year, but it's looking like Lebron just doesn't have that killer instinct needed to survive. This is a guy who should probably have won 5+ titles in his career and it's looking like he won't even have one and he's past his midpoint in his career.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:56 AM   #448
whomario
Pro Starter

wow, iīm kind of shocked still ... And iīm not even a Cavs Fan beyond some kind feelings after living there for a couple months ...

First off : How you donīt play Varejao and Ilgauskas more is beyond me. Those are 2 guys that will kill themselves on the floor, 2 guys that get others involved and 2 guys that have chemistry together. Plus those are 2 guys that were on the floor for most good stretches Cleveland had in the first half, see Ilgauskas +9 in +- ... They are also like a million times better defensively than Shaq/Jamison against a team like the Celtics. Against the Magic both have a role defensively (Howard/Lewis), against the Celtics not so much (Jamison canīt guard Garnett or even Big Baby, Perkins doesnīt need to be guarded)
Sure Shaq produced, but he didnīt help his teammates on either end. You have to see that as a coach or at least have someone on your staff that is asked to keep an eye on lineups.

I agree on the notion to play James at the 4.

Tony Allen and Glen Davis played a brilliant game

Really inspiring game by the Celtics. Cleveland playing bad or not, thatīs way more than i (and most people) expected out of the Celtics.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #449
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1) Best player in the world? Correct.

2) More talent than anyone in the league? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FREAKIN MIND?

Are you even watching the games this playoffs? Forget the regular season, look at the post season. Exactly where are these other talented players? Shaq? Moe? Jamison? Delonte? Parker? Are some of these guys stepping up when I've been asleep?

The funny thing is, I'm not sure the Magic have to worry about either of these teams because it's clear to me THEY are the most talented team in the league.

Chicago got any shot they wanted on the Cavs for most of the series. As Chicago's offense sucks and they can't shoot, they didn't score enough to beat the Cavs. Boston is getting everything they want this series.Orlando is better than Boston or Chicago on offense and actually better than both of those teams on defense.

At any rate, your second statement is plain wrong. I've been saying it all playoff long, if lebron isn't in THE KING mode, Cleveland has no chance. If they truly had the best talent in the league, that wouldn't be the case. They have the best player in the world (who is playing like the second best player on the floor against Boston) and they have a team of spare parts who Lebron makes whole. They don't have the best talent in the league.

Spot on. Jamison is the only quality player on the court besides LeBron for the Cavs.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #450
Galaril
Pro Starter

I think one other thing with the Cavs-Celts and people saying they are amore talented bunch. I could agree they are younger than the Celts and thus have more physical ability. That being said I think like the Spurs from a few years back this Celtics teams experience is a huge advantage. Next game I don't know what we see from the Cavs (James)? If they come gunning or they fold li a tent neither would surprise.