Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #401
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
That's IF you believe what that piece of crap Carcillo has to say.

Don't have to believe what anyone says about the cross check to the face, that was there for anyone to see.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #402
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
With all due respect to Canadian national pride and Penguins fans, the rest of us (and the rest of the league) have always known Crosby was a snot nosed whiner.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #403
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
With all due respect to Canadian national pride and Penguins fans, the rest of us (and the rest of the league) have always known Crosby was a snot nosed whiner.

+10,000
Old 05-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #404
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

...and if he were a Bruin, Sabre, Thrasher....etc, you'd love him on your team.

Hell, he's never bitten anyone, Savard's done it twice.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #405
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
That's IF you believe what that piece of crap Carcillo has to say.
And why would he ever doubt a man of his impeccable moral standing?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #406
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

20 minutes away from game 7!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #407
Galaxy
Coordinator

First Washington, now Pittsburgh...Montreal found the magic.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #408
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

If Montreal make the SCF, they should just award Halak the Conn Smythe before the series even starts.

As bad as the Pens were early-- and it was a team collapse, Fleury led the charge, but had lost of compant-- they had chances in the 3rd. 4 on 3 PP to start the 3rd, 2 ridiculous saves by Halak during that PP, and 2 more on another PP with about 13 mins to play.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #409
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

wow, Habs won it. I'm kinda shocked to be honest. They've had so many abd games all season long but they are really surprising me during these playoffs. Hats off to them...

FM
Old 05-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #410
bbor
Pro Starter

Although Pitt did'nt play great this series.....Fluery lost the series IMHO .880 save % ain't getting it done.Pulled in a game 7 really????

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #411
samifan24
Pro Starter

In other news the Boston Bruins continue to look for any signs of offensive life. I fully expect Philadelphia to win game seven on Friday. Peter Chiarelli didn't add a scorer at the trading deadline. Yes, the team lost Sturm and Krejci, major pieces of the offense, during this series but still, depth never hurts.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:30 AM   #412
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
In other news the Boston Bruins continue to look for any signs of offensive life. I fully expect Philadelphia to win game seven on Friday. Peter Chiarelli didn't add a scorer at the trading deadline. Yes, the team lost Sturm and Krejci, major pieces of the offense, during this series but still, depth never hurts.

I didn't actually see any of the game, I listened to the Flyers radio broadcast and from what they were saying, the Bruins controlled a lot of the play in Game 6. Were a lot of their shots from bad angles? I know there were a few times where the Flyers couldn't get it out of their zone for over a minute at a time.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:03 AM   #413
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

When it was 5 on 5 the Bruins pretty much dominated.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #414
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I didn't actually see any of the game, I listened to the Flyers radio broadcast and from what they were saying, the Bruins controlled a lot of the play in Game 6. Were a lot of their shots from bad angles? I know there were a few times where the Flyers couldn't get it out of their zone for over a minute at a time.

The Bruins controlled the play for extended periods but mostly took bad angle shots. I don't know to describe the Bruins offense except to say that it was fragmented. You know how a good team breaks out and passes and creates plays? The Bruins had the puck for much of the time but their passes never connected, they lost control of the puck and any real offensive push broke down. Lucic's goal in the last minute was one of the rare "all hands on deck, everyone crash the net" moments I've seen from Boston in the last three games.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #415
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

A remarkable run by Montreal so far. Really, really impressive.

It's also remarkable that the Molson Cetner was sold out last night. They had 20,000 people there simply to watch the game on the big screen. That's incredible.

On the flip side of that, there was looting and rioting and 32 arrests following the game. If Montreal some how makes it to the Stanley Cup finals and wins, it would be time to simply abandon the city and call Snake Plisken in to rescue any loved ones.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 05-13-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #416
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
A remarkable run by Montreal so far. Really, really impressive.

It's also remarkable that the Molson Cetner was sold out last night. They had 20,000 people there simply to watch the game on the big screen. That's incredible.

On the flip side of that, there was looting and rioting and 32 arrests following the game. If Montreal some how makes it to the Stanley Cup fins and wins, it would be time to simply abandon the city and call Snake Plisken in to rescue any loved ones.

joke was about them 22,000 in attendance that it was the first time that the ticket cost less than the price for a beer ($7.50 vs $8 or 10 for beer)

Riots and looting were expected. It's sad really. Same thing happened the last time they won the cup in 1993 and yeah, if they ever advance and win it all, it'll be crazy...

FM
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #417
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
joke was about them 22,000 in attendance that it was the first time that the ticket cost less than the price for a beer ($7.50 vs $8 or 10 for beer)

Riots and looting were expected. It's sad really. Same thing happened the last time they won the cup in 1993 and yeah, if they ever advance and win it all, it'll be crazy...

FM

Well, if Montreal wins the next round, I fully expect you to suit up and defend the streets vigilante style. You will be the French Canadian Kick-Ass. Your sons will be your sidekicks, defending the streets of Montreal from riotous thugs and hooligans. I know you have the skillz for it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #418
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

You know, I've never understood looting/rioting when a team wins something, but at least when its a Championship I can sort of see how it happens (everyone gets really, really excited and really, really drunk, and then shit goes down).

But looting after winning the second round? Really, Montreal? Aren't you the same city that has won the Cup 24 times, almost double any other NHL team? Is winning a second round series really that big a deal? Really??

Pathetic.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #419
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Well, if Montreal wins the next round, I fully expect you to suit up and defend the streets vigilante style. You will be the French Canadian Kick-Ass. Your sons will be your sidekicks, defending the streets of Montreal from riotous thugs and hooligans. I know you have the skillz for it.

LOL! I know we got the skillz to do it but I live a good 2.5 hours away from Montreal and I fully intend to stay as far away from the idiot town that Montreal is, thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
You know, I've never understood looting/rioting when a team wins something, but at least when its a Championship I can sort of see how it happens (everyone gets really, really excited and really, really drunk, and then shit goes down).

But looting after winning the second round? Really, Montreal? Aren't you the same city that has won the Cup 24 times, almost double any other NHL team? Is winning a second round series really that big a deal? Really??

Pathetic.

Oh I agree, that's just simply stupid. And even when you win the cup, while I sorta, kinda can understand how a crowd movement can go wrong, I just can't explain or justify it.

FM
Old 05-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #420
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

For anyone who has been watching the playoffs on CBC (or generally any of our Canadian brethren)...

What the fuck is up with that Georges Laraque "Tek Savvy" commercial?

(I have to admit, it makes me laugh for some reason)
Old 05-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #421
bbor
Pro Starter

Hilarious.....he should have been a pitchman rather than a hockey player

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #422
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

WOOOO!!!!
Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #423
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
WOOOO!!!!

Was coming here to check that you were still breathing
Old 05-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #424
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

and an epic win too, from down 0-3 in the series, then down 0-3 in game seven to finally win both the final game and the series 4-3. Wow...

Habs/Flyers it is, #7 vs #8 for a chance at the finals...

FM
Old 05-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #425
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Boston Bruins disgust me.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #426
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Pretty damned epic swing of emotions for Boston sports fans, going from a big high in seeing the Celtics beat the Cavs to a big low in seeing the Bruins give up a 3-0 lead in games and in goals and suffer a historic defeat, all in 24 hours and in the same building, even.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #427
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
WOOOO!!!!

+1
Old 05-15-2010, 12:16 AM   #428
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Pretty damned epic swing of emotions for Boston sports fans, going from a big high in seeing the Celtics beat the Cavs to a big low in seeing the Bruins give up a 3-0 lead in games and in goals and suffer a historic defeat, all in 24 hours and in the same building, even.

Seriously.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:29 AM   #429
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

+2

The odds of them losing in this fashion are astronomical. Up 3-0 in the series, up 3-0 in the first of game 7. Pathetic! This is right up there with the Yankees collapse of '04 (maybe worse.) The D was just effing awful for 2 periods. I don't get it. They came out on fire; Leighton was shook; we had 'em. I don't think Philly even played particularly well, the B's just sucked from there on out. I feel like they lost their competitive edge. I think that deep down, they know it was gonna take a sports miracle to lose and got soft. And Julien...oh did I want to wring his neck. After the 2nd Flyer goal, he should've been on fire instead of standing there with one of those nervous villain faces that they get when a minion tells them that the the castle walls have been breeched. And another thing: It's a good goddamn thing that Wheeler scored twice because other that that his performance was getting booed out of town worthy. You know that dream where you're punching but it's not phasing the other victim? That was Wheeler's checking. And it looked like he was skating in sand. Meh, I could go on all night. Fuck 'em. I hope to hell think they don't expect this #2 pick to solve their woes. It's time to start making some aggressive personnel decisions.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:31 AM   #430
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Also, congrats to Flyers fans. The one bright spot in this is that I won't have to worry about congratulating Habs fans.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:12 AM   #431
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

When I left for Oahu the Flyers were down 3 games to 0. Now a few days later they do what only two teams have done in the past...all the while I have not seen a game and listened to them on the beach. So Flyers if you want to continue this streak, you need to pay for me to stay for the duration of the playoffs. Thank you very much!

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 05-15-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #432
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

We had dinner plans with several other couples last night. By the time we reach the restaurant, the Flyers are already down 3-0. It's one of those bar/restaurants, but from our seats, we can't see a single TV. We hear the bar crowd cheer, and we're like, "yeah, but it's still 3-1". A second cheer erupts, and two in our party saunter over to the bar, and come back to report it's 3-2. A third, even louder cheer, signifies that the Flyers have actually tied it up. Unfortunately, service is very slow (not sure if this was usual or due to the large crowd). We're all checking our phones to get updates, and when the crowd goes beserk, we realize history is being made. We pass on dessert, pay our tab, and then cram in the bar area to watch the ending of the game. Unbelievable is all I can say...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #433
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
When I left for Oahu the Flyers were down 3 games to 0. Now a few days later they are on they do what only two teams have done in the past...all the while I have not seen a game and listened to them on the beach. So Flyers if you want to continue this streak, you need to pay for me to stay for the duration of the playoffs. Thank you very much!

I tried this approach as well. The games I was at the Igloo, Pens won. Games I was not, they lost. I tried convincing people at work to pool their $ to send me to game 7....fools.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #434
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

http://www.youtube.com/v/IEPKcoBfhos&amphl=en_US&ampfs=1[/url]&amp" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Not sure what I'm doing wrong with embed.

In any case, I admit I laughed at this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEPKcoBfhos

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 05-15-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #435
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Old 05-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #436
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That was a depressing game to watch. I hate watching exciting hockey and then seeing my team lose. The penalty box gaffe by the refs at the end didn't help, but otherwise it was a very well officiated game.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #437
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Niemi went nuts today.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #438
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I think if the series continues that way (with the Sharks getting that many shots) the Sharks are going to be looking good. Niemi can't keep that up.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #439
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

This is a GREAT start to a series... so far!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #440
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, so I've been out of the state twice this past week and have had a plethora of other things going on that are too long to go into at this point (job travails, coworker's wife dying, in atlanta for wife's conference, etc). That's my excuse.

But the fact that this thread is only at page 9 is just sad

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-16-2010 at 11:15 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #441
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So, I was watching HNiC last night prior to the Habs/Flyers game and caught that Montreal Canadiens rap song that someone just made, sort of the Canadiens' "Super Bowl Shuffle" if you will. It was sort of weird to see all of the French Canadians act all hip-hoppish and all and one of the kids break-dancing in the video was wearing a Komisarek jersey.

Again, I love the passion and excitement, but an entire video and song for making it to the Conference Finals?

In unrelated news, reports indicate that the Capitals have signed Nicklas Backstrom to a 10 year deal averaging out to about $6.7 million a year.

I am still not a fan of these mega-long contracts. I see why teams do them, either to lock up their young stars for a long time or to spread the salary out over a long period of time to lower the cap hit, but 7, 8, 10, 12, 15 years or so is so long. Who knows what the sport will look like then? I think it's less of a risk when you're dealing with a young, established player like a Backstrom, Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, then an older player like Zetterberg, Hossa, Franzen, but still it'd concern me.

Another thing is that people keep complaining about how the salary cap means that more players will be swtiching teams and that teams wont be able to keep their core together. I don't think that's been the case at all. You never really saw these mega long term deals until after the cap was put into place. I think "cost certainty" is a major concern and driving force behind this and it wouldn't really be an issue without the cap. Granted, teams have the risk of generating a cap crunch, which will force them to jettison players or not be able to re-sign certain guys (the Wings last year, the Hawks this year), but I think if a team gets a solid core, we are seeing that core stick together longer (also because these long term deals are so hard to move). There will still be churning at the middle and bottom of the roster to generate cap relief.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #442
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
So, I was watching HNiC last night prior to the Habs/Flyers game and caught that Montreal Canadiens rap song that someone just made, sort of the Canadiens' "Super Bowl Shuffle" if you will. It was sort of weird to see all of the French Canadians act all hip-hoppish and all and one of the kids break-dancing in the video was wearing a Komisarek jersey.

Again, I love the passion and excitement, but an entire video and song for making it to the Conference Finals?

In unrelated news, reports indicate that the Capitals have signed Nicklas Backstrom to a 10 year deal averaging out to about $6.7 million a year.

I am still not a fan of these mega-long contracts. I see why teams do them, either to lock up their young stars for a long time or to spread the salary out over a long period of time to lower the cap hit, but 7, 8, 10, 12, 15 years or so is so long. Who knows what the sport will look like then? I think it's less of a risk when you're dealing with a young, established player like a Backstrom, Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, then an older player like Zetterberg, Hossa, Franzen, but still it'd concern me.

Another thing is that people keep complaining about how the salary cap means that more players will be swtiching teams and that teams wont be able to keep their core together. I don't think that's been the case at all. You never really saw these mega long term deals until after the cap was put into place. I think "cost certainty" is a major concern and driving force behind this and it wouldn't really be an issue without the cap. Granted, teams have the risk of generating a cap crunch, which will force them to jettison players or not be able to re-sign certain guys (the Wings last year, the Hawks this year), but I think if a team gets a solid core, we are seeing that core stick together longer (also because these long term deals are so hard to move). There will still be churning at the middle and bottom of the roster to generate cap relief.

Chicago really fucked themselves with the Campbell deal. The Hossa deal is actually manageable (for now) with the other's they signed this year.

Figure Campbell's deal (which no GM should after want to take on in a trade) = 2 of Sharp, Versteeg and Byfuglien. Now, the Hawks will be forced to move most likely 2 of those 3, plus probably 1 of the next tier down in Ladd category.

To date, Pittsburgh and Washington have not hurt themselves with any of the deals they've done. The only players signed past 2012 in Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, Letang and Orpik. Washington (off the top of my head): Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green. Will be interesting to see what the Caps do with Semin.

You were spot on re: the churning of the middle tier of roster spots. A lot of Pittsburghers complain about having to look for a winger every year for Crosby, but lose sight of the fact that they do not have to look for a center, if they can keep these guys through their next deals, for the rest of the decade.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #443
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Chicago really fucked themselves with the Campbell deal. The Hossa deal is actually manageable (for now) with the other's they signed this year.

Figure Campbell's deal (which no GM should after want to take on in a trade) = 2 of Sharp, Versteeg and Byfuglien. Now, the Hawks will be forced to move most likely 2 of those 3, plus probably 1 of the next tier down in Ladd category.
And now Dale Tallon is Florida's problem. Did they not see all of the eff-ups? Campbell, Huet, Khabibulin (the original signing and then the attempt to trade last year when he clearly could outplay Huet?) He is a god-awful GM.

Go Hawks.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #444
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

For those fans whose teams aren't in the playoffs anymore...please make a thread for these non-playoff related talks. We who still have teams in the playoffs don't want to be weeding through this mess
Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #445
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
For those fans whose teams aren't in the playoffs anymore...please make a thread for these non-playoff related talks. We who still have teams in the playoffs don't want to be weeding through this mess

Am I the only one that just stops watching the playoffs if/when my team isn't in it? I just don't really care what happens. I might catch a bit of the Finals but that's it.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #446
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Am I the only one that just stops watching the playoffs if/when my team isn't in it? I just don't really care what happens. I might catch a bit of the Finals but that's it.

I will quit watching for maybe a round but I like hockey too much not to watch.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #447
bob
College Starter

Quote:

Yep, once the Wings and Thrashers (ha!) are out, all I watch are Game 7s.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #448
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

yall gtfo out of this thread

go devils
Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #449
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I will quit watching for maybe a round but I like hockey too much not to watch.

I don't go out of my way to sit down for 3 hours to watch a complete game now, but given the chance, I'll flip on whichever game is on for a period at a time.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 05-17-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #450
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
And now Dale Tallon is Florida's problem. Did they not see all of the eff-ups? Campbell, Huet, Khabibulin (the original signing and then the attempt to trade last year when he clearly could outplay Huet?) He is a god-awful GM.

Go Hawks.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote