Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #401
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Per Jason King at Yahoo, Kansas is hiring Turner Gill. King normally knows his stuff since he's a former Kansas beat writer for the KC Star. If this is true then color me disappointed. I think Gill has the potential to be a very good coach, but he also has the potential to be a very bad one. The fact that Nebraska passed over Gill when they hired Pelini worries me more than a little.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...yhoo&type=lgns
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #402
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I suspect Michigan will be pretty good by the end of next season. A full off season will do wonders for Forcier and Robinson (I still think those two will be ahead of Gardner by virtue of experience and familiarity) and they will be a lot better, decision making-wise, which will turn some of those close losses into wins. The defense probably won't be quite up to par yet, but I think they'll beat most of the teams they are supposed to beat next year (unlike this past two years).

I'd say that there are five pretty likely wins there (UMass, Bowling Green, @ Indiana, Illinois, and @Purdue), plus five more that are toss-ups due to being similar in talent and/or being played at home. Ohio State and Penn State, both on the road, will be pretty tough.
Forcier/Robinson may start the year at QB but I doubt they finish it. An offseason just isn't going to make Forcier fast enough to be a threat running the speed option, and I doubt they'll trust Robinson to throw the ball (I thought he was decent in HS the one game I saw, but I guess the Mich coaches didn't agree). I'll put money on Gardner starting by midseason and Forcier transferring before junior year starts.

I also don't think Purdue will be a pushover next year (or really this year). They lost a lot of close games (5 by 7 or less, including @Oregon by 2, and of course the wins @Michigan and vs. Ohio St) and Bolden+Keith Smith+Elliott or Marve is a decent skill trio coming back.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #403
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'd say that there are five pretty likely wins there (UMass, Bowling Green, @ Indiana, Illinois, and @Purdue), plus five more that are toss-ups due to being similar in talent and/or being played at home. Ohio State and Penn State, both on the road, will be pretty tough.

The Irish will lose their name players on offense, but it's anybody's guess as to what the Irish will play like next year. With it being early, not many people will. It will likely benefit Michigan that the Irish will still be getting their feet under them when they play Michigan. For RR's sake, it will likely be a game he has to win to give the impression he's doing well there. I can't imagine the Irish winning with a new coach, system and key offensive talent looking good for a coach who is in his third year.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #404
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The Irish will lose their name players on offense, but it's anybody's guess as to what the Irish will play like next year. With it being early, not many people will. It will likely benefit Michigan that the Irish will still be getting their feet under them when they play Michigan. For RR's sake, it will likely be a game he has to win to give the impression he's doing well there. I can't imagine the Irish winning with a new coach, system and key offensive talent looking good for a coach who is in his third year.

I would normally agree with you, but Brian Kelly's history suggests that he won't necessarily need a transition year. He won 10 games in his first season at Cincinnati with a team that had below recruiting over the previous few seasons. If Dayne Crist can get healthy, I can see Kelly winning 8-10 games next season.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #405
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Forcier/Robinson may start the year at QB but I doubt they finish it. An offseason just isn't going to make Forcier fast enough to be a threat running the speed option, and I doubt they'll trust Robinson to throw the ball (I thought he was decent in HS the one game I saw, but I guess the Mich coaches didn't agree). I'll put money on Gardner starting by midseason and Forcier transferring before junior year starts.

I also don't think Purdue will be a pushover next year (or really this year). They lost a lot of close games (5 by 7 or less, including @Oregon by 2, and of course the wins @Michigan and vs. Ohio St) and Bolden+Keith Smith+Elliott or Marve is a decent skill trio coming back.

Rich has wanted to throw a lot more and a couple WR recruits plus kids who were freshman this year have commented on the new passing game that is going to be used next year. Could be lip service but we saw some new stuff already this season and they continue to meet with OU's staff regarding their pass game in the spread so I can see Tate staying and being fine.

He doesn't need to be a 1000 yard rusher, he just needs to learn how to properly read a zone read play which he didn't do well at all. Denard didn't even try it and I still think next year is his last at QB and probably he will end up playing all over ala Harvin regardless.

Should be interesting.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #406
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am curious to see how Brian Kelly's staff shakes out. A lot of ND fans on other boards are concerned because names they hear are all guys with just Midwest ties. I assume Kelly is smarter then to limit himself like that as ND needs to be recruiting all over but a lot of guys hire who they know so we'll see.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #407
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Rich has wanted to throw a lot more and a couple WR recruits plus kids who were freshman this year have commented on the new passing game that is going to be used next year. Could be lip service but we saw some new stuff already this season and they continue to meet with OU's staff regarding their pass game in the spread so I can see Tate staying and being fine.

He doesn't need to be a 1000 yard rusher, he just needs to learn how to properly read a zone read play which he didn't do well at all. Denard didn't even try it and I still think next year is his last at QB and probably he will end up playing all over ala Harvin regardless.

Should be interesting.

They should move Denard ASAP. He's electric when he has the ball, but he's not going to be a successful quarterback.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #408
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
They should move Denard ASAP. He's electric when he has the ball, but he's not going to be a successful quarterback.

I agree totally, but I think they're gonna do everything possible to red shirt Gardner. Only Gardner himself will keep him off the field, but if he looks like a freshman I think they'll try to keep Denard at QB to save him.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #409
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

More information coming in on Turner Gill to KU. It looks like Gill will have up to four former head coaches on his staff; defensive coordinator Carl Torbush and offensive coordinator Chuck Long are the only two named thus far.

http://www.kansascity.com/842/story/1626719.html
Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #410
RainMaker
General Manager

There has been some talk of Chuck Martin leaving Grand Valley and joining up with Kelly again.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #411
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
There has been some talk of Chuck Martin leaving Grand Valley and joining up with Kelly again.

Yep. Dunno about that one. GVSU usually wins because they have a sheer talent advantage over everyone they play. He also just basically zone blitzes on D. I dunno how it'll translate but we shall see.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:12 AM   #412
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Big 10 would gain by being able to put the Big 10 network on every cable carrier in the state of Texas, adds another nationally marquee team to the conference, and improves the national perception of the B10 (this move would make the Big 10 a lot more competitive with the SEC and would clearly hobble the Big 12 dramatically). It would probably requrire Ohio State and Michigan to have to swallow their pride a bit -- I'm not sure they would go for it, but if Notre Dame passes, isn't Texas a much bigger home run than Nebraska or Missouri?

Would Texas say yes? Would the Big 10?
Texas is a bit out of the geography of the Big 10. On the Texas side, I don't think there is any interest in breaking up the Texas schools from the Big 12. The state even forced the Big 12 to take in Baylor which it didn't want to do.

I think the spot will always be there for Notre Dame to take or leave. And as much as a Big 10 hater that I am, I'd love to see Missouri join the Big 10. We already have a strong rivalry with Illinois and I think a rivalry with Iowa, Indiana and others would develop much more so that we have with any of the Big 12 schools. Plus we already have a journalism school rivarly with Northwestern, which personally I think we win.

I'd hate to see the rivalry with KU broken up but we could still play it nonconference.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:18 AM   #413
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Why Missouri fans love the Turner Gill hire:

Gary Pinkel's record as a head coach in the MAC before going to the Big 12: 73-37-3
Turner Gil's record as a head coach in the MAC before going to the Big 12: 20-30

Even if you look at Pinkel's record the first four years, he was 23-19-2. In his first 50 games he was 28-19-3. In his fifth season Toledo went 11-0-1. I don't think Buffalo was going to go undefeated next year.

I don't think it's a terrible hire but I just don't think he's ready yet.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 AM   #414
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Hmmm...you're really trying to compare Buffalo to Toledo? In 1990, Nick Saban was the head coach of Toledo and went 9-2 before heading to the NFL. Gary Pinkel took over in 1991 and went 5-5-1. On the other hand Gill inherited a program that had eight wins in five years under the previous coach and in the last 20 years Buffalo had one winning season before Gill took over. So they weren't necessarily similar situations aside from the fact they were in the same conference.

I'm not a huge fan of the Turner Gill hire though I'm starting to warm up to it. I still think he's a gamble compared to some of the other coaches on the list. I'm just hoping the gamble pays off. But it's silly to compare Pinkel and Gill's records given they inherited two entirely different situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Why Missouri fans love the Turner Gill hire:

Gary Pinkel's record as a head coach in the MAC before going to the Big 12: 73-37-3
Turner Gil's record as a head coach in the MAC before going to the Big 12: 20-30

Even if you look at Pinkel's record the first four years, he was 23-19-2. In his first 50 games he was 28-19-3. In his fifth season Toledo went 11-0-1. I don't think Buffalo was going to go undefeated next year.

I don't think it's a terrible hire but I just don't think he's ready yet.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #415
sooner333
College Starter

Interesting to see that Sumlin (Houston) declined the interview with Cincinatti.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:52 AM   #416
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Not really related to coach openings, but Barry Alvarez indicated that he would like to see the Big 10 add a team because the conference is largely forgotten during championship week.

I know the usual names that are tossed out are Missouri, Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, Nebraska, and Notre Dame, but I wonder if there would be any thought to the Big 10 swinging for the fences and offering Texas a spot.

The TV money in the Big 10 is about twice as much per team as in the Big 12 (although, I know it is weighted by appearance in the Big 12, so I'm not sure how close Texas gets to the Big 10 teams) and the bowl ties are better in the Big 10, so there is a definite financial advantage for Texas. And, it isn't like the Big 12 has been around forever and Texas could keep playing Oklahoma and A&M.

The Big 10 would gain by being able to put the Big 10 network on every cable carrier in the state of Texas, adds another nationally marquee team to the conference, and improves the national perception of the B10 (this move would make the Big 10 a lot more competitive with the SEC and would clearly hobble the Big 12 dramatically). It would probably requrire Ohio State and Michigan to have to swallow their pride a bit -- I'm not sure they would go for it, but if Notre Dame passes, isn't Texas a much bigger home run than Nebraska or Missouri?

Would Texas say yes? Would the Big 10?
I don't see what Texas gains by this move. The Big 12 has been better competition wise over the last few years. They'd be giving up some big rivalries by moving as well.

The money might be better, but when you factor in the negatives it just makes no sense. They have to fly halfway across the country to play their games.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:14 AM   #417
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Fire Turner Gill
Old 12-13-2009, 07:18 AM   #418
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I like the section of people who SHOULD have gotten the job.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #419
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
I like the section of people who SHOULD have gotten the job.

I don't like the section with Mark Mangino in a bathing suit.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #420
Swaggs
Coordinator

For those wonder what Texas (or any school would have to gain, look at these television contract numbers):

http://www.byucougs.com/2009/10/upda...erence-tv.html

Code:
Conf Teams $/Year $/Yr/Tm TV Partners SEC 12 $205.0 $17.1 CBS, ESPN Big 10 11 $174.0 $15.8 BTN, ABC/ESPN, CBS* ND 1 $11.0 $11.0 NBC, Big East* Big 12 12 $79.5 $6.6 ABC/ESPN, FSN ACC 12 $66.9 $5.6 ABC/ESPN, Raycom* Pac 10 10 $53.2 $5.3 ABC/ESPN, FSN, ABC/ESPN* Big East 8^ $45.3 $3.7 ABC/ESPN, CBS* MWC 9 $12.0 $1.3 CBSC/Mtn. CUSA 12 $11.3 $0.9 CBSC, ESPN WAC 9 $4.0 $0.4 ESPN MAC 13 $1.4 $0.1 ESPN Sunbelt 9 $0.0 $0.0 ESPN, Cox/Charter *Separate basketball contracts ^Big East has 16 schools, only 8 of which participate in football and receive $1.7M each for football only; All 16 schools receive an additional $2.0M per year for basketball

Keep in mind that Notre Dame's figures are for their home games, only.

Last edited by Swaggs : 12-13-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #421
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
For those wonder what Texas (or any school would have to gain, look at these television contract numbers):

Code:
Conf Teams $/Year $/Yr/Tm TV Partners SEC 12 $205.0 $17.1 CBS, ESPN Big 10 11 $174.0 $15.8 BTN, ABC/ESPN, CBS* ND 1 $11.0 $11.0 NBC, Big East* Big 12 12 $79.5 $6.6 ABC/ESPN, FSN ACC 12 $66.9 $5.6 ABC/ESPN, Raycom* Pac 10 10 $53.2 $5.3 ABC/ESPN, FSN, ABC/ESPN* Big East 8^ $45.3 $3.7 ABC/ESPN, CBS* MWC 9 $12.0 $1.3 CBSC/Mtn. CUSA 12 $11.3 $0.9 CBSC, ESPN WAC 9 $4.0 $0.4 ESPN MAC 13 $1.4 $0.1 ESPN Sunbelt 9 $0.0 $0.0 ESPN, Cox/Charter

Keep in mind that Notre Dame's figures are for their home games, only.

Plus that number would only rise because the Big Ten Network would become available in all of Texas and probably some parts of surrounding areas.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #422
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Now I agree that Texas is unlikely but as Swaggs has mentioned there is not a more attractive school to the Big 10. It's an AAU school, it's in a huge untapped market, it's a great football and basketball school, etc.

I think this is the best possible order for potential schools:

1. Texas
1a. Notre Dame
2. Nebraska
3. Rutgers
4. Pitt
5. Navy (Personal choice, ftw)
6. Boston College
7. Syracuse

I just basically threw stuff against the wall after Pitt, so yeah.

Nebraska has apparently asked to join the Big 10 before, and doesn't like the Big 12. It is obviously a hike but it's a good school, with great football. Basketball is meh but it is a new market with tons of tradition that'd jive well in Big 10 land.

Rutgers seems most likely since it's the biggest school near NYC, a rising football team and a good academic college.

Pitt is not a new market but meets all the other criteria.

After that like I said, I just threw stuff out there. BC would be intriguing as it for sure fits everything but I don't ever see it.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #423
Swaggs
Coordinator

Don't forget Missouri in there.

It fits within the Big 10 footprint pretty well and St Louis is the #19 and KC the #27 media market. Although, to be perfectly honest, I don't know enough about the markets to say that it would deliver deliever Kansas City any more than Kansas would.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #424
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

It fits within the Big 10 footprint pretty well and St Louis is the #19 and KC the #27 media market. Although, to be perfectly honest, I don't know enough about the markets to say that it would deliver deliever Kansas City any more than Kansas would.

For some reason I thought I put Mizzou on there. Yes they'd be in the top 5.

Here's my question for you Swaggs, as a BE fan.

If Rutgers goes to the Big 10, will WVU bolt to the ACC or SEC, or will the BE add to the conference with a UCF type team?
Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #425
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

After that like I said, I just threw stuff out there. BC would be intriguing as it for sure fits everything but I don't ever see it.

I bet the ACC would gladly give Boston College to you. They don't exactly deliver any market and don't travel well. They have good academics and good on-field performances, for the most part, but I imagine that the ACC, if they had it to do over again, would grab Rutgers or Syracuse ahead of B.C.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #426
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I bet the ACC would gladly give Boston College to you. They don't exactly deliver any market and don't travel well. They have good academics and good on-field performances, for the most part, but I imagine that the ACC, if they had it to do over again, would grab Rutgers or Syracuse ahead of B.C.

That makes sense. I was wondering why no one mentioned them to the Big 10. If that's the case I don't give them much of a shot other then because they're in the Boston market and it seems like the Big 10 is hell bent on getting somewhere like NY, Boston, etc.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #427
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

The last time the Big 10 looked into expanding Missouri showed interest and wasn't really given consideration. The problem for Missouri is their academics. The Big 10 has a tendency to be a bit of an academic snob which would eliminate Missouri and a number of Big 12 schools.

Quote:

Old 12-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #428
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Just wanted to add that this site has supposedly been up since October and originally wanted Gill fired from Buffalo. The owner of the site is registered from Athens, Georgia. Not sure what that guy's issue with Turner Gill is. Here's the google cache.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...e_Turner_.html

Quote:
Old 12-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #429
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Just wanted to add that this site has supposedly been up since October and originally wanted Gill fired from Buffalo. The owner of the site is registered from Athens, Georgia. Not sure what that guy's issue with Turner Gill is. Here's the google cache.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...e_Turner_.html

Yeah I figured it was something someone had already made. I am sure people just buy any coach who rumored for a job and dock it so they can make a quick buck.

Still funny though.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #430
molson
General Manager

Syracuse seems like it would be a natural fit if not for the complete collapse of the football program....Ah well.

Last edited by molson : 12-13-2009 at 12:23 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #431
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Those were my first thoughts...someone trying to make a buck.

KU fan reaction to Gill's hiring is generally mixed. A few hate the hire because they hate the athletic director. Some like the hire because he's a high character guy who has ties to the region. And then there are others like myself who expected a more proven coach and are a bit shocked Gill got the job over guys like Tuberville and Holtz. I think Gill has the best potential upside of all the coaches listed except Harbaugh, but it's not a guarantee that he'll reach his potential. I think KU should have gone the safer route, but Lew has a pretty good track record in hiring football coaches so I'm guessing he's right and I'm wrong.

Quote:
Yeah I figured it was something someone had already made. I am sure people just buy any coach who rumored for a job and dock it so they can make a quick buck.

Still funny though.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #432
tarcone
Coordinator

Im not sure I see the Big 10 expanding anytime soon. Notre Dame seems to be the first and only choice.
Texas would be an incredible addition, but I cant see it happening. Too much tradition, too many rivalries, too much cold weather in October and November.
Nebraska would be good but I dont know their academic background. Penn State was added for football reasons, their BB was always meh.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #433
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Big Ten bylaws state that any school must be in a state that borders the current geography. I.E. Rutgers could be invited because New Jersey borders PA, but Boston College can't. How much that means in the grand scheme of things who knows, but they wouldn't want Boston College anyway.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #434
mh2365
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Now I agree that Texas is unlikely but as Swaggs has mentioned there is not a more attractive school to the Big 10. It's an AAU school, it's in a huge untapped market, it's a great football and basketball school, etc.

I think this is the best possible order for potential schools:

1. Texas
1a. Notre Dame
2. Nebraska
3. Rutgers
4. Pitt
5. Navy (Personal choice, ftw)
6. Boston College
7. Syracuse

I just basically threw stuff against the wall after Pitt, so yeah.

Nebraska has apparently asked to join the Big 10 before, and doesn't like the Big 12. It is obviously a hike but it's a good school, with great football. Basketball is meh but it is a new market with tons of tradition that'd jive well in Big 10 land.

Rutgers seems most likely since it's the biggest school near NYC, a rising football team and a good academic college.

Pitt is not a new market but meets all the other criteria.

That is a good list but you might as well take Notre Dame off the list because they will never join a conference.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #435
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh2365 View Post
That is a good list but you might as well take Notre Dame off the list because they will never join a conference.

I know I was just going by what would be most desirable from a Big 10 perspective.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #436
tarcone
Coordinator

Big Ten West:
Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame or Texas or Nebraska

Big Ten East:
Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State

Im not sure who slides to the West if the league adds Rutgers or Syracuse or Pitt
Old 12-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #437
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Big Ten West:
Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame or Texas or Nebraska

Big Ten East:

Im not sure who slides to the West if the league adds Rutgers or Syracuse or Pitt

There is no way they'd ever put OSU, PSU and UM in the same division. It'd be broken up by North/South if nothing else.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #438
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Big Ten West:

Big Ten East:

Yeah that would work out quite well with Iowa not having to be in a division with Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #439
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Assuming it's Rutgers, you'd probably have:

Big 10 North

Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Rutgers, Penn State

Big 10 South

Ohio State, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Northwestern
Old 12-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #440
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Apparently fans have been egging Brian Kelly's house. I'm not shocked that it happened, but still wish that people would grow up a little.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #441
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Assuming it's Rutgers, you'd probably have:

Big 10 North

Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Rutgers, Penn State

Big 10 South

Ohio State, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Northwestern

I dont see them breaking up Iowa and Minnesota. And Rutgers to Minny is a long haul. I still think they would go East/West. It makes more sense geographically and travelwise.

The Big 12 put OU, Okie St and Texas together. So I dont know how big of stretch it would be to put PSU, OSU and Mich together.

Fun stuff to talk about.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #442
MJ4H
Coordinator

Paul Petrino to Illinois to be OC. Getting out from brother's shadow is the theory. GL Paul.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #443
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729 View Post
Apparently fans have been egging Brian Kelly's house. I'm not shocked that it happened, but still wish that people would grow up a little.
Jeebus, no kidding. That's some serious weak-sauce right there...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #444
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
For some reason I thought I put Mizzou on there. Yes they'd be in the top 5.

Here's my question for you Swaggs, as a BE fan.

If Rutgers goes to the Big 10, will WVU bolt to the ACC or SEC, or will the BE add to the conference with a UCF type team?

I missed this before. WVU would take an invitation to the SEC before the ink dried, but I'm not sure we'd be on their wishlist (not much of a media market and pretty far from everyone aside from Kentucky). The ACC would probably make better sense, geographically, but I'm not sure that the increased travel costs would be offset by the additional money the ACC gets. I think they'd have to do some number crunching, but I suspect they would probably take it.

As for the future of the Big East:

Here is what I would like them to do, proactively:
-Split with the basketball schools.
-See if Florida State, Maryland, or BC are interested in joining. I don't anticipate it happening, but I could see them entertaining the idea.
-Offer Notre Dame membership while allowing them to negotate their own television deal for home games. I don't see them going for it because they have too many powerful, traditional rivals to play and they would have a tough time playing/surviving a conference schedule + USC/Michigan/Michigan State/Navy. They would probably opt to stay in an all-sport league with the basketball schools.
-Offer Villanova one more opportunity to move up to the FBS level. Philadelphia had the #8 media market and Villanova has a very good basketball program.
-Invite UCF (adds the #21 media market and gives Florida kids a chance to play in-state once per year) and Memphis (#43 media market, a good, untapped recruiting area, good basketball, possibly adds the Liberty Bowl to the BE's mix). Both of those schools are a little subpar on the football end right now, but so were USF and Cincy, and they, along with Louisville have all made their way into the top 10 rankings in the past 5-years. I think they could catch up quickly -- probably within 4-years.
-With that, I'd think we end up adding just UCF and Memphis. If Villanova accepts, I would strongly look to see how quickly UNC Charlotte could get up to FBS level (right now, they are planning to field a team in 2013 with the goal of moving to FBS within 10-years of that). Charlotte has the #24 media market and would have a lot of potential to rapidly grow. If that falls through, I would make the same offer to UMass, followed by an offer to ECU.

What I think will happen:
-I think Memphis will join the Big East within the next two-years. They have hired former commisioner Mike Tranghese as an advisor and that pretty much speaks for itself. I think the Big East will add Memphis and another non-football school, so that the league's basketball schools are not in the minority on votes -- probably someone like Xavier.
-If one of the football schools leave, we would then add UCF.
-I would imagine that Villanova has a standing offer to make the move up, if they so choose.

If Notre Dame would somehow join the Big 10:
-Possibly the best scenario, long-term, for the Big East, as all nearby conferences would have 12-teams and no longer be looking to poach from the BE.
-The football schools would hold a majority over the basketball schools and could finally begin making moves with football in mind.
-Add Memphis to give the league 16 total members and 9 football members, which is the perfect amount for scheduling (IMO) w/ 4 H/4 A games each year. Possibly add UCF and another bball school to move to 18 total members, with 10 football members.

Last edited by Swaggs : 12-13-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #445
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would strongly look to see how quickly UNC Charlotte could get up to FBS level (right now, they are planning to field a team in 2013 with the goal of moving to FBS within 10-years of that). Charlotte has the #24 media market and would have a lot of potential to rapidly grow.

Just for the sake of conversation, why not Georgia State in that scenario?

I mean, they start next season & are due to join the CAA in 2012. Plus you get an even larger media market with their addition.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-13-2009 at 11:39 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #446
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

If the Big 10 were to go to twelve, I'd have to think it would be an east-west split, especially if it were a western school added (Missouri, Nebraska, etc), since it would cause the least disruption to the internal rivalries in place aside from perhaps Illinois-Ohio State and Michigan-Wisconsin/Minnesota. Also, since Michigan-OSU is the traditional season-ender, they'd almost have to play in the same division. Otherwise there's a decent chance they'd repeat their meeting in the championship game only a week or two later.

Having said that, I think it'll be Missouri, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, or Rutgers if Notre Dame continues to refuse to join (which they almost certainly will, especially as long as NBC and the BCS continue to deal out cash to them).

If it were Missouri, I do wonder where the Big 12 would go. They would probably like to take a school like Arkansas or TCU, but then one of the Oklahoma schools would probably have to move to the North since both Arkansas and TCU would probably join to be part of the South so they can renew old SWC rivalries. There really isn't a viable "northern" team for the Big 12 as I don't think Colorado State, Wyoming, or Air Force really would meet what they'd lose in Missouri.

If it's one of the Big East schools, it may mark the beginning of the split between the football and basketball Big East as the football schools will likely try to start pushing to bring in C-USA schools (and perhaps BC) to try to forge a new 12-team league to protect themselves and their interests. I could easily see them trying to gather up much of the C-USA East (Memphis, ECU, UCF) and whatever else they need to get to that magic 12.

What happens after that, I don't know, but I'd love for dominoes to topple and result in a convenient set of 8 12-team conferences that would then set up a playoff system while the remainder of FBS moves down a level to FCS. (And yet, somehow, some way, I know Notre Dame will f* up this little symmetry and be the 97th team and lone independent.)
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #447
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just for the sake of conversation, why not Georgia State in that scenario?

I mean, they start next season & are due to join the CAA in 2012. Plus you get an even larger media market with their addition.

I had forgotten about that, although I do remember them hiring Bill Curry awhile back. I would definitely think they could bring a lot to the table between market size and the fertile Georgia recruiting bed. Doing a quick check, they are a pretty good sized university (about 22K undergads) w/ a pretty decent sized endowment, so I would imagine they have a pretty solid alumni base.

Something like:
BE North: UConn, Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, Cincinnati, WVU
BE South: USF, Louisville, UCF, Memphis, East Carolina, Georgia State

That would make geographical sense, have some really good media markets, and be a pretty solid all-sports conference. If one of the Northern schools left for the B10, adding an upgraded Villanova or Temple (along w/ the Philadelphia television market) could work, although it would be a big hit to the conference.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #448
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
If it were Missouri, I do wonder where the Big 12 would go. They would probably like to take a school like Arkansas or TCU, but then one of the Oklahoma schools would probably have to move to the North since both Arkansas and TCU would probably join to be part of the South so they can renew old SWC rivalries.

There is no way that any school is leaving the SEC, unless they are kicked out. I would imagine that Arkansas would rather play the Big 12 schools, but they would be losing $8-10-million in TV revenue if they switched to the Big 12.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #449
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
If it were Missouri, I do wonder where the Big 12 would go. They would probably like to take a school like Arkansas or TCU, but then one of the Oklahoma schools would probably have to move to the North since both Arkansas and TCU would probably join to be part of the South so they can renew old SWC rivalries. There really isn't a viable "northern" team for the Big 12 as I don't think Colorado State, Wyoming, or Air Force really would meet what they'd lose in Missouri.

It won't be Missouri or any other school in the Big 12. The Big 10 is looking to add a program that will match their academic standards.

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 12-14-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #450
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
There is no way that any school is leaving the SEC, unless they are kicked out. I would imagine that Arkansas would rather play the Big 12 schools, but they would be losing $8-10-million in TV revenue if they switched to the Big 12.

Agreed. Arkansas would be crazy to leave the SEC with their current tv revenue. The Big 12 office needs to have most of their leadership axed given their incompetence over the years.