Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #401
Havok
College Starter

Im trying to add it using SQL lite but im having problems. I keep getting an error.

Nobody explians in very much detail how exactly to use SQL lite and how to add these mods. I have no modding experience what so ever.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #402
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
It's not random, I think, but I think in the files there is an AIWeight scioreon how much in general it should weigh those skills.

From what I can tell the AIWeight score handles how they weigh using the skills not how they weigh picking them. I definitely could be wrong though.

I am sadly leaning towards complete randomness on picking. if it isn't random someone should lose their programming badge.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #403
Capital
High School Varsity

Is this game available in the states? I haven't seen it anywhere.

Just saw that it was available at gogamer. I could buy it from there...

Last edited by Capital : 07-20-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #404
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
Is this game available in the states? I haven't seen it anywhere.

Just saw that it was available at gogamer. I could buy it from there...

It's available for digital download now (anywhere), but it wont be made available in any other format until September.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #405
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I got it last week from gogamer on PC DVD for $30. So, I think it's out there now in a non-download format.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #406
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I switched from a human campaign, to an orc premiere-style competition a while ago, and lately I've been a little too dominant, much like everybody else. After playing the humans, the Orcs have been a breeze, because of their relatively high armor and strength....unfortunately, because my competition is so long (13 games), and because I'm playing without aging or contracts, my team outvalues all of the other 54 teams by a sizable margin, to the point that a team I was playing the other day got over a million dollars in inducements. My orcs never seem to get injured, whereas the computer teams are getting tore up in their 'sim' games, so the longer things go on, the easier it's getting....it still is kinda fun to mop the floor with people though, and the dice stick me with a draw here and there.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #407
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
It's not random, I think, but I think in the files there is an AIWeight scioreon how much in general it should weigh those skills.

I edited the skills of the human team I was about to play against last night, and they had a level 3 Ogre with leap and strong arm.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #408
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I got it last week from gogamer on PC DVD for $30. So, I think it's out there now in a non-download format.

And back in stock there for $35. My game shipped today from last week's sale! Woot!
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #409
RendeR
Coordinator

I've been busily playing my 36 team championships with 9 division of 4. My Chaos team took 3 seasons to move from the 9th level up to 8th and then got promoted each year up to 5th.

I've hit a fucking brick wall. I've lost 2 straight games and tied a third. I'm worried I might actually get demoted this season. The teams are playing smarter and doing a lot more of the risky plays when the opportunity presents itself.

I need to work hard just to stay in these games this season. Its kinda freakish.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #410
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I've finally found a boxed version of this here in the Philippines. Apparently, the store was only sent ONE COPY. It's $41.00, and I've reserved it and am picking it up tomorrow.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 07-22-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #411
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Picked the game up, took it for a spin before going to work, played around 3 matches as Dwarves, and am very happy with my purchase.

Can't wait to get home and begin a proper game.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #412
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

SirFoz, you should update the first post with the usernames of people in Bloodbowl. It would be nice if I can see you guys on and challenge for a game or two.

Mine is simple enough: NeonChaos
Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #413
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Uh oh.

Blood Bowl • View topic - [Solution] You DONT have to DC to cheat death.

Trouble for Cyanide. A serious programming flaw has been exposed within the multiplayer portion of the game.

Essentially, all the die rolls you make, and all the player ratings for multiplayer are housed on your local PC, and not on the multiplayer server.

Essentially, you can make the game act however you want. No injuries? Then only allow injuries for double 7's. You want to have 6 STR, 6 AGI, 12 AV Goblins? Tweak it in the file, there is no server-side validation on team creation.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #414
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Uh oh.

Trouble for Cyanide. A serious programming flaw has been exposed within the multiplayer portion of the game.

Essentially, all the die rolls you make, and all the player ratings for multiplayer are housed on your local PC, and not on the multiplayer server.

Essentially, you can make the game act however you want. No injuries? Then only allow injuries for double 7's. You want to have 6 STR, 6 AGI, 12 AV Goblins? Tweak it in the file, there is no server-side validation on team creation.

You know, as much as I enjoy playing this game, Cyanide is really coming across as a horrible studio. I don't know if they are just lazy or totally incompotent, but the number of things they have (or haven't) done with this game that any group of reasonable, intelligent people could have come up with is shocking.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #415
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I've been busily playing my 36 team championships with 9 division of 4. My Chaos team took 3 seasons to move from the 9th level up to 8th and then got promoted each year up to 5th.

I've hit a fucking brick wall. I've lost 2 straight games and tied a third. I'm worried I might actually get demoted this season. The teams are playing smarter and doing a lot more of the risky plays when the opportunity presents itself.

I need to work hard just to stay in these games this season. Its kinda freakish.

Is there a limit to the number of teams or something? I like the idea of 9 divisions and really working you way up, but -- 4 in each division? That seems low.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #416
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Uh oh.

Whoops. I guess I'm glad I'd only be interested in playing SP, or against people I already know.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #417
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Uh oh.

Just wow, it looks like they really took some shortcuts. They did do a great job capturing the gameplay, but things like this are just inexcusable.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #418
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Whoops. I guess I'm glad I'd only be interested in playing SP, or against people I already know.

Same here.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #419
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

At least they're constantly coming out with patches...

Blood Bowl • View topic - [UPDATE] 1.0.1.7 PATCH (AUGUST 6) SOON AVAILABLE

Morg N' Thorg is finally available for all races.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #420
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Is there a limit to the number of teams or something? I like the idea of 9 divisions and really working you way up, but -- 4 in each division? That seems low.

You can have up to 56 teams in your championship or as few as 8 I think.

You cans et the # of teams in each division to all of them in 1 or 2 divisions or 4 or 8 etc etc. It will divide them accordingly.

You also have the option of playing each team 1x or 2x each round of play.

I put in 36 teams, 9 divisions, 4 teams each playing each team twice per season. So I have to play 6 games each season and win my division to advance up the chain.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #421
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Just wow, it looks like they really took some shortcuts. They did do a great job capturing the gameplay, but things like this are just inexcusable.

+1000000000000000000000
Old 08-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #422
Capital
High School Varsity

Realizing that the single-player / computer run teams have some problems, are people enjoying the SP experience? I'm likely to only play SP and was considering purchasing the game via download for the weekend.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #423
RendeR
Coordinator

I'll put it this way.

I'm in both MP leagues.

I have 1 campaign that is ongoing, though I am at the pinnacle tournament at this point.

I have the following SP championships running and play each of them as the fancy takes me:

Chaos team (36 team league, 9 divisions 4 teams each)
Skaven team (54 team league 14 divisions 4 teams each)
Wood Elf team (54 team league 14 divisions 4 teams each)
Skaven team (54 team league 4 divisions 14 teams each) (FOFC dynasty thread)

I love the game, yes it has some serious issues and Cyanide is either going to bust their ass and fix them or go broke when everyone stops buying their stuff due to pathetic showing here but in general single player is fun, entertaining and can be tweaked to even become competitive over the long haul.

Love the game.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #424
Galaril
Pro Starter

Is this any good AI wise for single player? I was reall pumped for this when it first came out but most of what i had read was that single player AI was broke and so this was mostlya MP game. Is this true. I see Dark Elves is going to be released next month and a new full version including them is also coming out.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #425
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Is this any good AI wise for single player? I was reall pumped for this when it first came out but most of what i had read was that single player AI was broke and so this was mostlya MP game. Is this true. I see Dark Elves is going to be released next month and a new full version including them is also coming out.

No. It's not. I really had a blast with this game for a couple of weeks, but after a while the horrible AI just makes the game boring. Unless you get horribly unlucky with the dice, it's not a question of whether you will win or not, but by how many touchdowns.

The campaign portion of the game with contracts and agining is deeply flawed. It just doesn't work.

The AI is horrible. There is little rhyme or reason as to the skills the computer assigns its players. So, as your team keeps getting better and better through wisely chosen skill options, the computer teams can't keep up. If you play on "medium", the computer will take more chances and thus possibly making the game more challenging. The flipside, however, is that it takes a lot of stupid chances that make no sense and often result in a quick turnover. Playing on "hard" difficulty, reduces these stupid plays, but also makes the computer play so conservatively that it's stupid.

I think the skill choice problem would be an easy fix. That would go a long well in balancing things for single player. The actual in-game AI, I would imagine, would be much harder to improve.

That said, there are apparently a few mods floating around out there that were designed to improve AI, including skill decisions and actual in game play. I haven't downloaded or installed any of them, so I have no idea how they affect actual game play.

I play the game only occasionaly now. Once or twice every couple of weeks. Me and buddy of mine have a Lizardman team that we're having a lot of fun with. We play it while watching football on Sundays, since it's really best to have something else to do while watching the Lions.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #426
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
No. It's not. I really had a blast with this game for a couple of weeks, but after a while the horrible AI just makes the game boring. Unless you get horribly unlucky with the dice, it's not a question of whether you will win or not, but by how many touchdowns.

The campaign portion of the game with contracts and agining is deeply flawed. It just doesn't work.

The AI is horrible. There is little rhyme or reason as to the skills the computer assigns its players. So, as your team keeps getting better and better through wisely chosen skill options, the computer teams can't keep up. If you play on "medium", the computer will take more chances and thus possibly making the game more challenging. The flipside, however, is that it takes a lot of stupid chances that make no sense and often result in a quick turnover. Playing on "hard" difficulty, reduces these stupid plays, but also makes the computer play so conservatively that it's stupid.

I think the skill choice problem would be an easy fix. That would go a long well in balancing things for single player. The actual in-game AI, I would imagine, would be much harder to improve.

That said, there are apparently a few mods floating around out there that were designed to improve AI, including skill decisions and actual in game play. I haven't downloaded or installed any of them, so I have no idea how they affect actual game play.

I play the game only occasionaly now. Once or twice every couple of weeks. Me and buddy of mine have a Lizardman team that we're having a lot of fun with. We play it while watching football on Sundays, since it's really best to have something else to do while watching the Lions.

Ok so I guess my money will go to Wolverine studios new basketball game DDPB2 and AI War. Thanks!
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #427
Icy
Pro Starter

I also liked it a lot during the first two weeks, but the campaign mode is poorly done.

It was really a shock to discover that the CPU vs CPU simmed games were just like throwing a coin in the air to decide who wins, and then a dice to decide the scoreboard, but there was not a real game sim engine based on teams skills etc so the standings were not based on real teams power. also the CPU team doesn't use any kind of AI to upgrade his own team players but is just random again, so you could find throwers upgrading his tacking skills etc.

I had big hopes for it, and even the game AI while not great was challenging enough for me, as i was new to the series, but the lack of depth in the campaign mode killed it for me.

Last edited by Icy : 10-23-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #428
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
I also liked it a lot during the first two weeks, but the campaign mode is poorly done.

It was really a shock to discover that the CPU vs CPU simmed games were just like throwing a coin in the air to decide who wins, and then a dice to decide the scoreboard, but there was not a real game sim engine based on teams skills etc so the standings were not based on real teams power. also the CPU team doesn't use any kind of AI to upgrade his own team players but is just random again, so you could find throwers upgrading his tacking skills etc.

I had big hopes for it, and even the game AI while not great was challenging enough for me, as i was new to the series, but the lack of depth in the campaign mode killed it for me.

Yes, that was a very stunning and disappointing revelation.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #429
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Maximum Blood Bowl?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #430
RendeR
Coordinator

OK I gave in, after while I just stopped getting anything out of this game. Until they entirely re-write the AI and how games are simmed I've gotten everything I can from it.

Like the real thing its great for a few one-off games, but with any GW product it just seems to fail in the long term.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #431
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

well... I'm disappointed as anyone, but let me be a tempter.

BloodBowl

they announced today (just now) that the Dark Elves will be available as a free download soon.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #432
RendeR
Coordinator

Yeah I got the email. But the basis of the game is still seriously flawed. I've just grown bored with it. I've also had some major crashing issues lately adding to my frustration.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #433
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I got annoyed with it because it would only take a couple simple fixes to make it very, very playable:

1) Make the AI teams aware of what turn it is. Right now they will play out the last couple of turns as though they have all day, and once you discover that you can basically trick them into wasting their final turns setting up a play that, if the game went on for another 2-3 turns might work, but in reality just ends up with them holding the ball at midfield as they end their last turn. This would be crazy-easy to fix, I would think. If nothing else, just have them ramp up their 'risk taking' rating over the last couple turns, something that is already built into the AI.

2) The skill assignment issue, as mentioned by H_B. A relatively simple decision table based on team and player type would go a loooong way. Again, anything smarter than "random skill choice" would be a big improvement.

I get frustrated because people have suggested these fixes months ago, and it should seemingly take very little time to implement, but Cyanide just ignores it for whatever reason. I don't think I'll ever buy another Cyanide game again, because their support is atrocious.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #434
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I get frustrated because people have suggested these fixes months ago, and it should seemingly take very little time to implement, but Cyanide just ignores it for whatever reason. I don't think I'll ever buy another Cyanide game again, because their support is atrocious.

I agree with this, which is depressing because they are the ones who will be making the computer games based on my beloved fantasy series, George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice & Fire."

Not only is their support atrocious, but the entire game reeks of laziness. The computer v. computer is the worst/best example of this. The only things that really "work" in the game are the things that came directly from GW: the rules of Blood Bowl, the skills, etc. Anything new or any aspect of the game Cyanide appeared to try and implement on its own is pretty bad.

The game was in development for a number of years. They had a strong foundation on which to build and, for whatever reason, didn't take advantage of it. At all.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #435
WVUFAN
College Starter

Really lame advertisement for a dynasty coming up:

I just bought this game on Steam, and after a brutal couple of games (I am not good at this game at all), I decided to try a competition. How do you change the number of teams from 24 to something higher?

Participate in my new Blood Bowl dynasty: The Blood Bowl: An interactive dynasty - Front Office Football Central
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #436
aran
High School Varsity

How rampant is GW's stranglehold over the the BB rules? If someone implemented a BB game that had credible single-player but didn't provide any of the distinctive marks of BB (i.e. the name, logo, perhaps even the teams and skills), would they care?

Actually, this would be an interesting test-case for copyright law.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #437
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Cyanide, the creators of the Blood Bowl videogame have already done this. They initially started with a "ripoff" of BB and somehow they're now the developers of the official game.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #438
WVUFAN
College Starter

When you're first buying your team, is there a way to pick skills to start a player with? In other words, can I purchase a human thrower with a different starting skill than Pass and Sure Hands?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #439
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

nope. Every human thrower will have pass/sure hands to start
Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #440
Passacaglia
Coordinator

All right! I've had the game for a few weeks now, but it did not run well at all on my laptop. Got my new desktop working last night, and will install the game sometime today. I'm going to join this league, http://oldworldfootball.com/ -- for those of you HFLers who remember Thul, he's in this league. If you want to join with me, that'd be fun!

I'm trying to decide what race to play -- the race with the fewest teams are Goblins (2), Humans (4), Dwarves (4), Wood Elves (4). Thul told me not to play Goblins, and Humans sound boring, so that leaves Dwarves and Wood Elves. Someone has a Wood Elf team in the "training league" so I guess I should do dwarves, but I remember looking at the rulebook and liking Wood Elves. Is there something I'm missing, and dwarves aren't as bad as they seem?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #441
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I'm trying to decide what race to play -- the race with the fewest teams are Goblins (2), Humans (4), Dwarves (4), Wood Elves (4). Thul told me not to play Goblins, and Humans sound boring, so that leaves Dwarves and Wood Elves. Someone has a Wood Elf team in the "training league" so I guess I should do dwarves, but I remember looking at the rulebook and liking Wood Elves. Is there something I'm missing, and dwarves aren't as bad as they seem?

Yeah, don't take goblins. I always liked taking human teams. They may seem boring, but they are actually a lot of fun. I tend prefer to take teams that are less bashy and more flashy, so I'd go with wood elves over dwarves. Dwarves are a solid choice, however.

I really wish this game was better for single player.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #442
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Dwarves are the anti-woody team. Wood Elves while fragile, you can win a game with 5 on the pitch. Not sure if it is still possible, but you used to be able to get each player with blodge, which makes for a solid player and eliminates much of their downside which is their fragility.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #443
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm thinking I'll go dwarves. I was playing as wood elves last night, and I think I realized that I play pretty bashy, even with fast teams. This morning, though, I started a campaign as dwarves, and my first match was against dwarves -- we basically just hit each other the entire first half.

Anyway, I left blood bowl open overnight last night, and this morning, it was closed -- no big deal, looks like the computer restarted. But this morning, I stepped away from it to feed the baby, and when I got back it was closed again, and this time the PC hadn't restarted. Is that something with the game ( I had it "paused" by clicking menu) or maybe a Windows 7 thing?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #444
Shepp
High School Varsity

It looks like the "Legendary Edition" is now out. Is anyone still interested in this? Can anyone say if this version has any improved mechanics or if its just the same game with a bunch of new teams added?

Last edited by Shepp : 10-29-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #445
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I poked around a bit on the forums and couldn't get a good read as to whether its the same game with a bunch of new teams or something more.

My biggest gripe with the game was the horrible AI, since I really only play single player and my sense is that they really haven't done much to improve the AI. It sounds like they did fix the stupid SPP point issue, where teams would assign non-sensical abilities to certain players. That helps a lot, if true, but I am not sure if it's enough.

I may pick it up at some point when I find it in the bargain bin during some super Steam sale or something.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #446
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Figured I would bump this since anyone interested would most likely look at the thread...

Any of you guys up on FUMBBL.com? Would it make sense to make a FOFC league?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #447
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've been looking to get back into FUMBBL the past month or so. I'd be interested, but could be an issue organising game times given my timezone.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #448
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'd be interested.

Also, a third edition of BB is set to be released, adding four or so n ew teams and general fixes (Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition)
Old 05-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #449
Groundhog
Coordinator

Chaos Dwarves are my fave team so I'm excited for the new version. I've never played even a single online game using the BB video game as I think FUMBBL is better for that kind of thing, but I enjoy beating up on the (generally hopelessly inept) AI.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #450
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Little short on gameplay info, but me wants!

Last edited by NobodyHere : 04-15-2014 at 02:53 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote