Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #401
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
There's a distinct difference between providing additional content after release and charging $7.50 on release day for content that has been in previous year versions of the game. That's ridiculous.
I agree with that. I'm just saying that I think there is a difference in charging for extras that are more personal preference vs extras that give someone an advantage in the gameplay. With the latter, you're essentially forced to pay if you want to have a quality online experience.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #402
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
It was announced today that those who pre-order from Gamestop will get the Madden demo as an early exclusive. It will feature 4 5-minute quarters of Steelers vs Cardinals with adjustable difficulty levels. I wonder if those who get the demo the conventional method will also get 4 5-minute quarters?

Kotaku is reporting that the only way to get the madden demo this year is to preorder. If that's true, EA has reached new levels of douchebaggery and they deserve every damn thing MBBF says about them.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #403
Logan
Head Coach

What exactly is the point of a demo if it is only going to people who have already decided to purchase the game?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:15 AM   #404
Atocep
Coordinator

EA clarified the terrible wording of their press release.

From Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/5293192/madden-dem...n-%5Bupdate%5D

Quote:
EA have let us know that there will be two demos made available. One for GameStop preorder customers, which features the Cards vs the Steelers (with 5-minute quarters), and a second demo for everyone, which will feature the Giants vs the Cowboys (with 2-minute quarters).

Last edited by Atocep : 06-17-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #405
Kodos
Resident Alien

Some good news on the NCAA 2010 front:

Jeremy Strauser just twittered: @pastapadre NCAA team working on a patch so that DLC can be deactivated in Online Dynasty. Rosters fixes also in the works.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #406
Logan
Head Coach

Amazing that it takes a patch to do that. Did they really think no one would have a problem with this automatically applying to everything in the online universe without anyone being able to deactive it?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #407
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not sure this patch will be enough to save the game. If we really lose the top 10 universities a recruit is interested in, and the comparative interest levels, then basic functionality is broken. The only way I am paying for basic functionality is if the base price of the game is dropped.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #408
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah. I'm still in the "move my preorder over to Madden" camp.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #409
RainMaker
General Manager

How long has Strausser been with NCAA? Wasn't he with Madden for a long time?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #410
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I guess you could always cancel your pre-order and get your money back if you don't like the Madden demo.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #411
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm 100% getting Madden this year. Come hell or highwater.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #412
Kodos
Resident Alien

Its probably only me, but... - Operation Sports Forums

http://maddennfl.easports.com/featur...n?platform=psp

Interesting. Looks like there may be a play creator for the PS3/PSP versions.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-24-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #413
wade moore
lolzcat

Play creators are just bastions for cheesers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #414
Kodos
Resident Alien

Eh. I'm sure there are plenty of guys who would like to create non-cheesy plays for offline use. I don't think you can fault EA for putting it in. Although you can probably fault them for not putting it in for the 360. Seems like a good way for them to spur sales of the PSP version of the game.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-24-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #415
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Play creation was my favorite part of Head Coach. But I normally stick to single player so the only entity eating my cheese will be the AI.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #416
RainMaker
General Manager

They had play creator back in Madden I believe in 1990. I made an entire playbook with stuff like the Wishbone and funky reverses.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #417
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Eh. I'm sure there are plenty of guys who would like to create non-cheesy plays for offline use. I don't think you can fault EA for putting it in. Although you can probably fault them for not putting it in for the 360. Seems like a good way for them to spur sales of the PSP version of the game.

i get your altruism here, but legit players should be able to find enough plays in the tons and tons that are in the game.

Play creator is just the bastion of cheesing imo.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 06-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #418
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola: Not to say you're bad for using it. I just get sad when I see it because I know how many will use it.

Quote:
Old 06-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #419
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't necessarily think it's cheesing, just that it's not built for custom plays. The defensive AI is rather weak and really seems to only hold it's own against the preconceived plays that are in the game. I know that with the right audibles/hot routes, a lot of people can exploit the defense regularly. So a playbook would allow people to build entire playbooks with the most exploitable routes and formations.

I think it's a great idea down the road and I'd love to see a day when we all login online with custom playbooks. But until the AI of the game dramatically improves, it just leads itself to being a disaster.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #420
sabotai
General Manager

I guess I have a different view as to what amounts to "tons and tons" since I've always thought the amount of plays in both Madden and NCAA are rather slim.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #421
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't necessarily think it's cheesing, just that it's not built for custom plays. The defensive AI is rather weak and really seems to only hold it's own against the preconceived plays that are in the game. I know that with the right audibles/hot routes, a lot of people can exploit the defense regularly. So a playbook would allow people to build entire playbooks with the most exploitable routes and formations.

If that's not cheese, I don't know what is.

And I completely agree on the audibles, hot routes, motion - I tend to not use it at all because it is so easily exploited.

Quote:
Old 06-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #422
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I guess I have a different view as to what amounts to "tons and tons" since I've always thought the amount of plays in both Madden and NCAA are rather slim.

Yeah, I've never had that feeling - but to each his own I suppose.

Quote:
Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #423
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Smart move on EA's part to try to get people to buy both versions. This makes the PS3 version slightly tempting, but most of my old friends are getting the 360 version so that will be the overriding factor for me.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #424
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
If that's not cheese, I don't know what is.

And I completely agree on the audibles, hot routes, motion - I tend to not use it at all because it is so easily exploited.
I just hate the word cheese. Cheese is just shitty AI. Would rather see the focus be on fixing the AI than cutting back features that can exploit it.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #425
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The thing about hot routes is not so much that there are cheesy hot routes as there are just plain bad routes. Anyone ever complete a corner route or whatever that funky fake-a-post-run-a-corner route is with any kind of regularlity? Either the defender is always there to do his mile-high leap, or the receiver runs out of bounds before making the catch. When I played 2008 (and NCAA 2008) I was either hitting on crossing routes or streaks/flies, that's about it. Everything else was either going out of bounds or too easy for the defender to jump. And with the crossing route you had to watch for the uber-linebackers. If it weren't for hot routes in 2008, I'd have had maybe a 30% completion rate.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #426
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
The thing about hot routes is not so much that there are cheesy hot routes as there are just plain bad routes. Anyone ever complete a corner route or whatever that funky fake-a-post-run-a-corner route is with any kind of regularlity? Either the defender is always there to do his mile-high leap, or the receiver runs out of bounds before making the catch. When I played 2008 (and NCAA 2008) I was either hitting on crossing routes or streaks/flies, that's about it. Everything else was either going out of bounds or too easy for the defender to jump. And with the crossing route you had to watch for the uber-linebackers. If it weren't for hot routes in 2008, I'd have had maybe a 30% completion rate.

I can hit the corner route pretty regularly.

Quote:
Old 06-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #427
ColtCrazy
College Starter

After playing the NCAA demo a few more times, I have to say I'm enjoying it a lot more. I was skeptical at first after playing as Florida, but now that I've played with Oklahoma (which has more my style playbook) I'm enjoying it. There are some tackle animations that show up too much, but generally it seems like a decent game of football.

Though there are still bugs. Erin Andrews was reporting on an injury. She said at first they thought he had a broken wrist but after examination he actually had a bruise sternum. That's some team doctor!!!!
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #428
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's pretty funny.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-25-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #429
RainMaker
General Manager

The corner route used to be a money play back in 2001-2003. You could hit it 50% of the time for a big gain.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #430
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I didn't play in 2001-2003. I played 2006 on the 360 for a short bit, then played a ton of 2008. On 2008 the defender always had plenty of time to catch up to the receiver and knock it down. If I tried to lead the receiver to get it over the defender's head, it went out of bounds. I'd love to know the trick to it...
Old 06-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #431
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm just saying that they probably overcompensated when fixing it. It was much worse in the old versions. I don't know how they could fix it now though as the DB AI is reliant on catch-up speed and super jumps. Would take a complete overhaul to fix that and I don't think they have it in the plans for this year.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #432
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I didn't play in 2001-2003. I played 2006 on the 360 for a short bit, then played a ton of 2008. On 2008 the defender always had plenty of time to catch up to the receiver and knock it down. If I tried to lead the receiver to get it over the defender's head, it went out of bounds. I'd love to know the trick to it...

Had the same problem with NCAA 2008, but I could it hit against the right coverage in NCAA 09.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #433
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Abner put up a heavy duty developer Q&A............

GameShark | Features | Madden NFL 10 Developer Q&A
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:11 AM   #434
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I was just about to post that link. It's clear that he is impressed with the changes and just amps my excitement for the game. It's a very long interview. Not a bunch of new info, but still some great examples. Here is one of my favorite excerpts:

I know that the team is very upfront about wanting player ratings to really matter this year. The fact that you guys chain Donny Moore to a chair and make him rate every player -- is pretty amazing when you think about it. But in terms of gameplay, how will we see a difference in say -- quarterbacks? It's been one of my pet peeves with football games for years: it's terribly hard to tell a difference between the QBs outside of arm strength and running speed. Will a quarterback with lower accuracy actually be off target with more throws?
Donny: First off, it is a really comfortable chair. Now to your question.

I think we have captured the strengths and weaknesses of each one of the quarterbacks in the league like never before for Madden NFL 10. No longer is every QB rated 80+ in throw accuracy. We now see guys covering a wider spread, rated anywhere from 50 to 99. This meant totally re-tuning the passing game, but it was something that we felt had to be done.

You can see immediate differences just by taking the Dolphins into practice mode and checking them out. First, we have Chad Pennington. He is rated amongst the best QBs in the game in short and intermediate accuracy. However, he has a sub 75 rated arm (Throw Power), so you do not want to take too many chances deep with Pennington. Throwing the deep out across the field with Chad Pennington = not a bright idea in Madden NFL 10.

Now, sub in the electric backup Pat White. Notice that he is almost like a running back or receiver in terms of quickness and agility. He has a stronger arm than Pennington (low to mid 80’s). So he is capable of making more throws. But you will quickly notice that his accuracy is nowhere near Pennington’s level. White is rated in the low 70’s to low 60’s for accuracy. Finally, sub in 3rd string Chad Henne. He has a laser arm (90+ THP). His accuracy is somewhere in between White and Pennington. Factor all these changes in, and I promise you will feel a significant difference this year. Not just with the Dolphins, but with each and every quarterback in the league.
I also want to mention that we have 30+ unique passing styles and stances in the game for the first time in Madden NFL history. Tony Romo’s sidearm release. Peyton Manning. Brady. Roethlisberger. Heck, we even got Matt Stafford. Each one of these guys has slightly different timing with their release, so player will have to adjust for each one. Some of these guys are outstanding outside the pocket and on the run, for example Big Ben and Tony Romo. Some QBs need to be kept in the pocket to take full advantage of their tremendous accuracy ratings- think Kurt Warner and Drew Brees.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #435
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm more excited about Madden than I have been in years. NCAA is a different story...
Old 06-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #436
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm more excited about Madden than I have been in years. NCAA is a different story...

Copy that.

Anybody know yet if the "pre-made" draftees always arrive at the same time in a franchise or if it is all random? Pretty crappy if they aren't random.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #437
Kodos
Resident Alien

I believe the classes show up in random order throughout a franchise. But no shuffling of players between classes.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-30-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #438
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The little things video.. sorry if this is a repost..

YouTube - Madden NFL 2010 Everything You See on Sunday
Old 08-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #439
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

IGN review: IGN: Madden NFL 10 Review

0.1 higher than 09.. interesting...
Old 08-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #440
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Think it's tough to judge reviews like that. They are looking for different things than the people here are. I mean they rated last years an 8.8 and that game sucked hard.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #441
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Most of the impressions from people who have gotten the game are good...saying its the best in a long time.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #442
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Think it's tough to judge reviews like that. They are looking for different things than the people here are. I mean they rated last years an 8.8 and that game sucked hard.

Yeah, from reading some of the stuff at OS the prevailing view is that last years was way overrated and that this year is much better. Of course that could just be "new game syndrome". Lot's of guys posting that have gotten the game early so maybe by official release next Friday we'll have a better idea of how solid the game is.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:32 AM   #443
Epi_862
Mascot

Even if the IGN review only gave 8.9, it's really singing high praises for the gameplay. I bet thats what most of us here expected, and looks like M10 delivers on that part.
Epi_862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #444
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Let's be honest here. IGN is one of the last places I'd get my review information, especially when we're judging the FOFC crowd and what they look for. These guys are generally very young and their journalism leaves a lot to be desired.

I've talked to 4 people with review copies and every one has said it's a big improvement over the 09 version. I preordered a copy of the game earlier this week. That should speak volumes.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #445
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

What websites does everybody go to for their gaming news/reviews?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #446
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel --> Abner's blog. Very good for sports games.

Pastapadre.com --> another good sports game blog.

Otherwise I just use IGN, or whatever.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #447
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Let's be honest here. IGN is one of the last places I'd get my review information, especially when we're judging the FOFC crowd and what they look for. These guys are generally very young and their journalism leaves a lot to be desired.

I've talked to 4 people with review copies and every one has said it's a big improvement over the 09 version. I preordered a copy of the game earlier this week. That should speak volumes.

I could care less about the review.. just thought that was interesting.

You buying a game does NOT speak volumes for ME. I've liked so many games you thought were crap... so I'm thinking if you like Madden, I'll probably hate it.

I really like NCAA, so Madden is going to be a rent for me. I don't care about all the crap Bill posts about - I have FOF for that.

I really hope people here like it though - but I'm already mad it doesn't have player lock on defense.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #448
Philliesfan980
Banned

I've been reading the impressions thread on OS, and it looks like it's a mixed bag again. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm not holding my breath.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #449
Izulde
Head Coach

I think it's worth noting that I haven't been tempted at all by either NCAA or Madden this year.

Edit: I mean to say, when I've seen them in stores. It's been like "Eh. Whatever."

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 08-08-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:53 AM   #450
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I was tempted by Madden yesterday.. He was hiding in the bushes near my house whispering "turducken" when people would pass by. I nearly took him up on his breathy offer.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote