Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #401
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Now that you bring up commentary errors, I have noticed a pretty large amount. The first time I heard one I thought the announcers "accidentally" confused Carlos Beltran and Carlos Delgado, which seems to happen a decent amount IRL, but its pretty frequent. They also make mistakes in the count, inning, score, "foul ball down the line" when it's popped up behind the catcher...not excessive, maybe one per game at most.

I haven't played franchise yet, so as I told Troy, I don't know how prevalent it is there, but the commentary in the Show is atrocious.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #402
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm not sure how much you guys have played The Show series but as someone who bought a PS3 pretty much for this game, I can't tell you how outstanding I feel this game is. I have yet to see a single flaw with it.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #403
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'm not sure how much you guys have played The Show series but as someone who bought a PS3 pretty much for this game, I can't tell you how outstanding I feel this game is. I have yet to see a single flaw with it.

Give it time.

There's flaws a-plenty. Best sports game out there, but perfect it damn sure ain't.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #404
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I haven't played franchise yet, so as I told Troy, I don't know how prevalent it is there, but the commentary in the Show is atrocious.

That's my experience in franchise.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #405
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Heh - I'm still used to MVP 2005 where the commentary seems to get WORSE with each game I play. Almost every time they say "He couldn't even swing" or "The hitter left his bat on his shoulder" it was a swinging strike. Ah, well, the commentary is assinine anyway.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #406
TroyF
Coordinator

rowech,

I play the game to death and I've played the series to death. But not a single flaw?

Cmon, the commentary errors are all over the place. The RttS bug is a whopper. The baserunning in this version is average at best. Ground ball doubles down the line don't happen. The defense on bunts is pretty horrible.

You can say all of those things and say it's still a sensational game.

I don't see how anyone "has yet to see a single flaw" If that's the case, you just aren't looking very hard.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #407
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Their main game mode is broken. I think that's a pretty big flaw.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #408
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Ground ball doubles down the line don't happen.

I have been playing nothing but RTTS since the day the game came out, and I'm in mid-2011, hoping that the RTTS bug doesn't rear it's head before a patch is out.

But I wanted to mention that I have hit many doubles down the line, both grounders that the fielder can't get too, or line drives over the fielders heads. And my speed is only in the low-40s right now, so it's not because my player is fast.
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #409
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

dola. As a matter of fact, this particular hit was for a double

Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #410
rowech
Pro Starter

Perhaps it's because I haven't touched the RTTS mode. I also can't believe that's the main way people play this game.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #411
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm a pitcher so I don't hit for doubles, but I would say only 5% of the balls hit down the line end up in doubles against me. I give up doubles in the gap and off the wall, but balls down the line just die in the grass and end up in singles.

Then again, the CPU baserunning is pretty atrocious so that may be a part of it.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #412
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Perhaps it's because I haven't touched the RTTS mode. I also can't believe that's the main way people play this game.

It's addictive.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #413
duff88
College Prospect

I don't want to jinx it, but with no updated rosters and without having downloaded the patch, I'm in my fourth RTTS season (my roommate is at his fifth) and I've yet to meet the bug.

Last edited by duff88 : 03-26-2009 at 09:55 PM.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:30 AM   #414
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I've had this game for all three versions on the PS3. I haven't played one game of franchise mode. Nothing but RTTS for me. It's addictive and a ton of fun.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #415
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I've toned down pitching control 2-3 notches and pitcher consistency one notch for both the player and CPU and I'm loving the improvements. I walked 5 batters last night, and even when I "do" hit the mark on the pitching meter, if I nibble too much there's a much greater chance I'm not going to hit my mark.

I know I'd be considered a freak for doing this, but I LOVE the behind the pitcher camera so much I use it for hitting, too. I can do well against right-handed pitchers, but when a lefty comes out of the pen (or starts) I have great difficulty picking up the ball, especially when I have a lefthanded batter at the plate.

Btw, I agree that grounders down the line don't become doubles anywhere near as often as they should be - but line drives were broken last year as well - and they have fixed that. Statistically, I don't see the lack of grounder doubles effecting the totals much, if at all.

I know others are having difficulties with RTTS, but I play the majority of my games either as exhibition (until opening day rosters are released) or season mode and the game is just awesome. Lost to the Tigers last night, 5-4 in 14 innings. Due to the length of the game, the highly-rated animated series "The Wilkersons" will not be shown tonight. lol. Btw, I love the highlights at the end of the game - not only does it pick out the best plays, but it also knows about key outs that really influenced the final score.

Great stuff...still playing this one every night when everyone else goes to bed.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #416
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI for anyone who hasn't logged on in a couple of days. Opening Day roster update is out, though it should be noted that the Gary Sheffield move to the Mets won't be included until next Monday.

Also, here's an article with some simulation info for a 5 year sim........

http://www.crispygamer.com/features/...-the-test.aspx
Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #417
TroyF
Coordinator

I'm in 2012 in my RttS.

The Red Sox are simply dominant. Their rotation is now: Halliday, Beckett, Lester, DiceK and another guy. The lineup? Ridiculous:

1B Pujos
2B Peroia
SS Rollins
3B A. Ramierez
LF Bay
CF Sizemore
RF Gerut
DH Ortiz

They've scored close to 600 runs and we just hit August 1.

I'm on a garbage Mariner team counting down the time until FA in a year or two.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #418
Flasch186
Coordinator

^----------- = not fun

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #419
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I started my RTTS as a 18 year old SP and was signed by Texas initially but got traded 1/2 through the year to Baltimore. I finished strong in my first year in AA and after a month in the 2010 season I got called up to AAA. Well soon enough I was the AAA Ace (the actual teams really sucked) and now I'm in 2011 as the Orioles 4th SP. I played my first game last night in the majors against the Indians and only gave up 2 runs in 6 innings - but my team only scored 1 run and the bullpen gave up 4 more runs as we lost my first appearance 6-1. I'm loving the RTTS mode - I just really pray that the crash and burn bug doesn't happen 'cause I have a lot of time invested playing my career.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #420
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I'm loving the RTTS mode - I just really pray that the crash and burn bug doesn't happen 'cause I have a lot of time invested playing my career.

Once again, the bug does not corrupt the file. It just doesn't allow to you proceed. If you do happen to hit it, just keep the file and wait for the fix.

The developement team has been working on a patch for nearly a week now (they returned to begin work on the patching on April 1st). We should hear something in the next 1-2 weeks (later in April) about a pretty substantial patch.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #421
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Once again, the bug does not corrupt the file. It just doesn't allow to you proceed. If you do happen to hit it, just keep the file and wait for the fix.

The developement team has been working on a patch for nearly a week now (they returned to begin work on the patching on April 1st). We should hear something in the next 1-2 weeks (later in April) about a pretty substantial patch.

I'm not certain that a patch will fix existing RTTS saves. The issue seems to be with horrible roster management and teams not being able to field enough players in the lower levels. Once that happens, the game can't figure out what to do.

If they simply fix the roster management, your current RTTS is probably shot since the damage is already done as you've been playing. If they just find a way to bypass that error, then the save is probably fine. One way ignores the underlying problem but keeps your current RTTS running, the other fixes a big issue but destroys the progress you've made.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #422
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm not certain that a patch will fix existing RTTS saves. The issue seems to be with horrible roster management and teams not being able to field enough players in the lower levels. Once that happens, the game can't figure out what to do.

If they simply fix the roster management, your current RTTS is probably shot since the damage is already done as you've been playing. If they just find a way to bypass that error, then the save is probably fine. One way ignores the underlying problem but keeps your current RTTS running, the other fixes a big issue but destroys the progress you've made.

My guess (and it's no more than a guess) is that they will create some type of an auto-sign or auto-populate for the minors to fix the game stop when you continue on a stalled save. That could be done relatively easily to fill in the blanks with generic players as they don't really matter too much in the RTTS mode. In addition, as you mention, they'll have to put in a fix to adjust the AI to handle the rosters properly moving forward.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #423
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Patch announced as well as a temporary workaround for the RTTS bug:

On behalf of the entire MLB The Show development team we would like to take this time to first thank everyone for playing MLB 09 and being so patient with us as we work through some of the issues the community has experienced. We are very aware of these problems and we would like to announce that we are indeed working on a patch to fix the most glaring offline and online bugs and glitches you have encountered in this years game. When the patch is ready for deployment we will give an update with the contents of the patch. In meantime, we have found a work around for one of the most glaring bugs, the Road to the Show crash. If you skip all training sessions (batting and base running) during the month of September you should be fine. We know this is not ideal, however until the patch is ready for public release this will allow you to continue playing your RTTS save files (if the save file is before entering a training session). We take these issues and concerns very seriously and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Once again, thank you for your time and your patience. We will update the community as soon as the patch release date is set.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 04-07-2009 at 04:43 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:16 AM   #424
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Patch announced as well as a temporary workaround for the RTTS bug:

On behalf of the entire MLB The Show development team we would like to take this time to first thank everyone for playing MLB 09 and being so patient with us as we work through some of the issues the community has experienced. We are very aware of these problems and we would like to announce that we are indeed working on a patch to fix the most glaring offline and online bugs and glitches you have encountered in this years game. When the patch is ready for deployment we will give an update with the contents of the patch. In meantime, we have found a work around for one of the most glaring bugs, the Road to the Show crash. If you skip all training sessions (batting and base running) during the month of September you should be fine. We know this is not ideal, however until the patch is ready for public release this will allow you to continue playing your RTTS save files (if the save file is before entering a training session). We take these issues and concerns very seriously and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Once again, thank you for your time and your patience. We will update the community as soon as the patch release date is set.

So pitchers wont encounter the RTTS crash?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 04-08-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #425
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

How is everyone's RTTS going? Im finishing up my 1st season with my SP. I got traded for the second time in my career - this time going to Oakland (started with Texas - then traded to Baltimore). I'm there 3rd starter in the SP depth chart. My first season in the MLB isn't going so great. I don't recall my exact ERA but it's around 5.70 and I have a 3-8 record. I have three more starts in the 2011 season so hopefully next year I will become more consistent.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #426
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
So pitchers wont encounter the RTTS crash?

It is possible to get asked to take batting practice as a pitcher. I've had that happen once.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #427
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
It is possible to get asked to take batting practice as a pitcher. I've had that happen once.

So far I've been an AL pitcher so maybe that's why I haven't been ask to take BP....

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #428
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
So far I've been an AL pitcher so maybe that's why I haven't been ask to take BP....

Might be. I started out as an AL pitcher, but when I got traded to an NL team, I got asked to take BP.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:17 AM   #429
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good numbers for The Show in March. Pretty big improvement over last year's numbers, especially given that it's only on the PS3 as opposed to its multiplatform competitor.

March Sales: The Show Soars While 2K Sinks | pastapadre.com
Old 04-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #430
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Auto baserunning in this game will drive you crazy. Down 9-6 in the 9th. I've got 1 out and a man on first. Single to center and the runner going to third is cut down by 10 feet.

Then the guy on first with two outs gets thrown out stealing second still down 9-6 but with 2 outs.

I get so many guys cut down on the bases it's unbelievable. I cranked up their running speed and cut back the fielder's arms, but I'm afraid to go farther with the sliders before guys are beating out tons of infield singles. I don't throw out many on the bases, but my runners run into a ton of outs at 3rd and home. I probably average 1 guy cut down at the plate a game.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #431
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
Auto baserunning in this game will drive you crazy. Down 9-6 in the 9th. I've got 1 out and a man on first. Single to center and the runner going to third is cut down by 10 feet.

Then the guy on first with two outs gets thrown out stealing second still down 9-6 but with 2 outs.

I get so many guys cut down on the bases it's unbelievable. I cranked up their running speed and cut back the fielder's arms, but I'm afraid to go farther with the sliders before guys are beating out tons of infield singles. I don't throw out many on the bases, but my runners run into a ton of outs at 3rd and home. I probably average 1 guy cut down at the plate a game.

This is one of my complaints about the game - but on the opposite side. I've played RTTS mode exclusively as a SP and so many times runners advance where no way they would in "real life". For example and line shot in CF and the runner will go from 1st to 3rd. I haven't messed with any sliders yet but may do so to see if it helps...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #432
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

What was so bad about old-school NES style baserunning controls?

Hold A + up = run to second, A + left = run to third, B + up = run back to second, etc.

I play with auto-baserunning, defense, and throwing and though occasionally the auto running is too aggressive I enjoy the game more that way.

I did move the fielder speed and arm strength down one tick, along with putting the hitting team's running speed up one. Any more than that and there are too many infield singles so balls hit down the outfield lines will never produces as many doubles as I would like.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #433
Logan
Head Coach

I'm playing in franchise mode, and still have no clue how to advance individual runners. I lost a game the other day because I couldn't figure out how to get my guy to tag at 3rd while my man at 1st just went back.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #434
Atocep
Coordinator

One of my biggest annoyances as a hitter in RTTS this version is the number of AI created pitchers that have 4-5 different pitches. Seriously, how many AA/AAA scrubs throw 5 damn pitches?
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #435
JS19
College Prospect

Yea I can't run for shit, either. Forgot the exact scenario, think I was down 2 in the bottom of the 9th. Got the first 2 guys on, hit a deep flyball to the track, which was caught, and one way or another ran myself into a triple play.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #436
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Do you guys use the classic pitch mode or the meter? From what I have been reading the classic pitch is more like a sim compared to the reflexes of the meter.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #437
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Do you guys use the classic pitch mode or the meter? From what I have been reading the classic pitch is more like a sim compared to the reflexes of the meter.

I use the meter. Provides a good challenge IMO.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #438
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I use the meter. Provides a good challenge IMO.

yeah, I do to. And as a pitcher in RTTS mode the meter kind of keeps things under your control and the classic would seem to get kind of basic and stale IMO...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #439
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
yeah, I do to. And as a pitcher in RTTS mode the meter kind of keeps things under your control and the classic would seem to get kind of basic and stale IMO...

Agreed. It's great in RTTS because it's like a game within a game. Requires more attention on each pitch than would otherwise be needed.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #440
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:

I prefer Classic when i play out games in season or franchise. I find I will walk more batters using classic.
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #441
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenigma510 View Post
I prefer Classic when i play out games in season or franchise. I find I will walk more batters using classic.

I walk my fair share in RTTS - hell, last night I walked 3 guys in one inning - this was using the meter.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #442
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
I walk my fair share in RTTS - hell, last night I walked 3 guys in one inning - this was using the meter.

Admittedly the meter is much more difficult these year which is a good thing.
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #443
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Maybe I'll try the classic out, I've never switched from the meter in RTTS or franchise.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #444
Philliesfan980
Banned

I bought this game in March when it first came out, but because of work and just being busy, haven't really had time to dig into the game. I've read things in different places saying this game has actually regressed a bit. Is that the case?

Just wondering if it's worth the time trying to get through a 162 game season just to be frustrated by many small things.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #445
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

looks like there is a patch up... I haven't looked at the details of the patch yet.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #446
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
looks like there is a patch up... I haven't looked at the details of the patch yet.

While fighting through the thread about the patch over at OS, it looks like the patch is heavy with online fixes, though there is a scheduling fix which is likely for the RTTS career error. Still no specifics yet.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #447
RainMaker
General Manager

Anyone know if the scheduling bug that put most of the Wrigley games at night is fixed?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #448
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

The patch list. And yes Cubs schedule is addressed. Haven't tested it yet but supposedly you don't have to restart your season or franchise to get day games.

Quote:
MLB 09 The Show PS3: Patch 2 Addressed Issues

General:

* AL and NL West (including Cubs) schedule addresses. Day games updated to correct time zone.
* Addressed CPU Pitcher Energy from always full when pressing the quick menu while batting.
* Fixed the issue when in the bullpen moving from last pitcher (closer) to top pitcher, the top pitcher's stats stay the same as the closer.
* Inning pitched count corrected for pitchers during spring training. This is in ALL SEASON Modes.
* Fixed AUTO BASERUNNING. Users should no longer be able to control steels for you or CPU using L1 and L2 in any game at any time.
* Fixed the Movie Recording feature in both Replay and Replay Vault. Users should no longer get stuck after multiple recordings.
* Players names not being called correctly in the audio. One specific item was Beltran being called Delgado and vice versa. This line used to be erroneously said for Juan Rivera. It has now been corrected to play for Casey Kotchman. This line used to be erroneously said for David Ortiz. This line used to be erroneously said for Miguel Cabrera. It has now been "disabled".
* Career stats after going online and using weekly online Live Rosters or using the Online Roster Vault should now be correct.
* Fixed issues with unbalanced trades when the rosters were full. 3 for 1 trades that will result in people being placed on waivers should now function.
* Fix the problem in RTTS as the pitcher when a baserunner from 1st steals, the camera would sometimes swing around thru the crowd.
* Fix switch hitter sub presentations using the wrong helmet sometimes.
* Fix RTTS CP never getting a goal before the 1st pitch
* Fix the Batter Training camera automatically being set to Catcher Cam.
* Fix the Flashback Presentation X out problem.

Franchise Bugs

1.Fixed September 14 Road to the Show season lock.
2.Scouted players should now have feedback at the time of the amateur draft in June.
3.Fixed CPU roster control and lineup issue where users turn cpu roster control on, set a lineup, but lineup changes do not hold.
4.Fixed a bug where the user controlled team would not receive compensation picks when they lose Type A and B freeagents.
5.Fixed bug not allowing farm directors to be hired or fired. Just load into a franchise and fire a farm director during the off-season.
6.Addressed a problem where the title loses simulating functionality in franchise mode when addressing online requests.

Online:
1.Addressed Free Agents in the Online league Live draft. They should now be placed on teams through Roster Update are usable on user’s teams. (Guys like Manny Ramirez or Adam Dunn should now be available.)
2.Fixed Message Board bug that result in no messages being shown after changing full pages.
3.Reduced online game bandwidth usage.
4.Made minor change to the League create screen to Randomize the Draft time to various 30 minute increments from 12noon from 8pm.
An attempt to fix in-game disconnect issues in the production community. This is in an effort to stop the dreaded traffic delay problem the the community is reporting.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #449
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Has anyone DL'd any of the rosters up at OS? If so which is the best one?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #450
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nice list of fixes. As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I had heard that they planned all fixes to work with current saved games. Glad to see they followed through with that promise. Very important move to keeping game owners happy.