Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #401
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh.

Bears sign Brandon Lloyd to a 1 year deal. And his first quote?

The outspoken side of Lloyd may never go away. During Friday's teleconference, he was asked about the Bears' quarterback situation. Without hesitation, he said, " Rex Grossman is the starter and coach Ron Turner and coach Lovie [Smith] think very highly of him."

Turner immediately chimed in and clarified the matter, emphasizing that it is an open competition between the quarterbacks.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #402
Subby
lolzcat

Redskins offseason is already a success - cutting Brandon Lloyd and re-signing Rock Cartwright...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #403
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I wonder where Shaun will end up? I'd think somewhere like Detroit or Houston could use him. Maybe the Jets or Cardinals as well.

I was listening on the radio earlier, forget which idiots, and they are throwing out all these names of teams...except Houston, which I think is the most obvious.

Arizona doesn't make much sense to me, since I don't see him and Edge splitting carries working real well.

Next question is...Shaun Alexander, HOF?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #404
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Turner immediately chimed in and clarified the matter, emphasizing that it is an open competition between the quarterbacks.

Its just Grossman and Orton, now, right? Nobody else in the mix?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #405
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Next question is...Shaun Alexander, HOF?

You're kidding right?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #406
st.cronin
General Manager

Some draft speculations:

New England (and also New Orleans) look to be in an excellent position to trade down from their first round pick. Jacksonville picks at 26, and has one clear need that I can see (defensive end). If they want to get one of the top DE's in the draft, they will likely need to move up. The Pats and the Saints are about where they would need to get to, and are the only teams in that range that probably wouldn't want to draft a DE. There are other teams that might want to get up to one of those spots, too, like Washington.

A similar thing could happen with DT, if Sedrick Ellis is still on the board at #7. Denver would probably be willing to move up, as might some other teams like, again, Washington.

New Orleans is a team with a lot of holes, and would benefit from picking up some extra picks, while New England ... I'm just not sure there's anybody that should be drafted that high that makes any sense for them.

knives out
Old 03-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #407
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
You're kidding right?

Not really. His rookie year he split carries with Watters. He had 5 outstanding seasons, followed by 2 average and injury-filled seasons.

Is that a HOF career?

I get he's got 100 career TDs, which is a great accomplishment. But you really think that makes him a slam dunk for the HOF?
Old 03-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #408
Logan
Head Coach

I really hope the bewilderment was for him being in the conversation about entering the HoF without buying a ticket or being invited as Walter Jones' guest.

Last edited by Logan : 03-08-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #409
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I really hope the bewilderment was for him being in the conversation about entering the HoF without buying a ticket or being invited as Walter Jones' guest.

+1

I mean, I guess we could just put every running back in the hall of fame.

knives out
Old 03-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #410
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:44 PM   #411
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd say alexander needs at least 4000 more yards at a respectable YPC before he gets any kind of serious consideration. And that's also just cause he has a sick amount of TD's, realistically he'll end up with the 3rd most rushing TD's of all time, behind Emmit and LT.

Last edited by stevew : 03-08-2008 at 11:45 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:49 AM   #412
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Packer's Fan Fest is going on, so lots of players up in Green Bay before some team workouts this next week.

Aaron Rodgers, or as Donald Driver calls him A-Rod, had his first press conference as a starter. I love the guy's attitude, he had good answers to all the questions. I am actually excited now to see how he does.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:53 AM   #413
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not really. His rookie year he split carries with Watters. He had 5 outstanding seasons, followed by 2 average and injury-filled seasons.

Is that a HOF career?

I get he's got 100 career TDs, which is a great accomplishment. But you really think that makes him a slam dunk for the HOF?

I don't get this. You were the one posting the original question (which, the way posed, seems to imply you favor that). miami fan rightly questions even the suggestion. Then you post this, which seems to be arguing against it. Are you just arguing with yourself to pass the time between hockey draft pocks?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #414
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I don't get this. You were the one posting the original question (which, the way posed, seems to imply you favor that). miami fan rightly questions even the suggestion. Then you post this, which seems to be arguing against it. Are you just arguing with yourself to pass the time between hockey draft pocks?

Didn't mean to have it appear as I was in favor of Alexander in the HOF. Simply throwing it out there, as his career as a Seahawk is over, and his NFL career as a whole severely on the downswing.

I should have gone with, HOFer, yes or no? Discuss.

And obviously, from the 2nd answer, I am on the no side of the aisle.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 03-09-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #415
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Its just Grossman and Orton, now, right? Nobody else in the mix?

Barring them drafting, yep. Which basically means Grossman.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #416
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

So who will the Bears target in the 2009 Top 10 draft class? My guess is Sanchez from SC or Tebow for UF.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #417
like a dog
n00b

Quote:
So who will the Bears target in the 2009 Top 10 draft class? My guess is Sanchez from SC or Tebow for UF.

Tebow is not a quarterback in the NFL.
like a dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #418
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Angelo seems to be in love with Flacco, which means its likely that someone else that wants him will make sure they're in position to take him ahead of the bears in the 2nd.

Angelo is clueless when it comes to the offensive side of the ball. He had Mike Williams rated as the top receiver in the '05 draft and Cedric Benson above Ronnie Brown.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #419
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by like a dog View Post

BUT do the bears have a need for FB after this season?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #420
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
So who will the Bears target in the 2009 Top 10 draft class? My guess is Sanchez from SC

Pretty high praise for a guy that is only 50/50 to win the starting job and hasn't done anything in college yet. My guess is that neither of the guys you mention will end up having a successful NFL career.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #421
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by like a dog View Post

lol...I hope you're just tossing this out there as your Hardy to my Laurel.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:26 PM   #422
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Pretty high praise for a guy that is only 50/50 to win the starting job and hasn't done anything in college yet. My guess is that neither of the guys you mention will end up having a successful NFL career.

Well, you realize the point wasn't to try to assess the potential of either QB, right? It was about the Bears' expected Top 10 pick next year.

This is an NFL thread.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-09-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #423
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
David Carr visiting Lions?

WANTED: Replacement players for run down Detroit football team. Football knowledge not necessary, expectations are low. Must be physically present on Sunday, and be willing to collect a large paycheck for minimal work. Employer is not really paying attention. Customers are.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #424
Skolleck
n00b

Quote:

I like Orton actually. He manages the game well and if he had a few more weapons would be a passable starter, like Dilfer or Delhomme (both a few years ago).
Skolleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #425
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Warrick Dunn returns to the Bucs
Old 03-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #426
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skolleck View Post
I like Orton actually. He manages the game well and if he had a few more weapons would be a passable starter, like Dilfer or Delhomme (both a few years ago).

When you say someone manages the game well it means he sucks and hopefully your defense can win it for you.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #427
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
When you say someone manages the game well it means he sucks and hopefully your defense can win it for you.

Manages the game = she's got a great personality
Old 03-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #428
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Cards finally got out of the Fitz mess. Signed him to a 4-year, $40 million deal:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3287855

Quote:
The Arizona Cardinals and wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald reached agreement on a blockbuster four-year, $40 million contract that will free up much-needed salary cap room for the team.

Fitzgerald announced the deal on his Web site, saying he will make $33 million over the first three years of the contract.

Over the final two years of his old deal, Fitzgerald was scheduled to make $14,592,500 in 2008 and $17,355,000 in 2009. That put the team in a tight cap bind -- with less than $400,000 of cap room remaining -- so signing players was tough until they struck a deal with Fitzgerald. They had only 48 players on their roster and only 16 players on defense.

The team was trying to find a way to convince Fitzgerald to sign a six-year deal. In the end, Fitzgerald got his way and signed a four-year deal.

Fitzgerald will receive a $15 million signing bonus Tuesday. His base salary will be $2 million, giving him a $17 million payout this year. He has a $5 million option bonus in 2009. Over the four years of his contract, he will receive $30 million in guarantees.

The new deal will save the team $8.842 million in cap room, dropping his salary cap number from $16,485,000 to $7,643,334.

It's a shame they couldn't have done this two weeks ago as maybe Faneca would be in Arizona right now instead of New York.

Last edited by Arles : 03-11-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #429
Thomkal
Head Coach

thank the football gods my beloved Cards finally redid his contract, now maybe they can actually sign some free agents. Stupidity on the part of Cardinals management not to get this done before free agency began since they knew they were going to have cap problems heading in.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #430
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Manages the game = she's got a great personality

Or in this case, grows an amazing neckbeard.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #431
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe he caved in. Basically he traded essentially 31m guaranteed over 2 years for 40m over 4. It's not like they were going to cut him. He must really have wanted to stay for some reason. There's gotta be some huge incentives in year 4 I would have thought.

Last edited by stevew : 03-11-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #432
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I can't believe he caved in. Basically he traded essentially 31m guaranteed over 2 years for 40m over 4. It's not like they were going to cut him. He must really have wanted to stay for some reason. There's gotta be some huge incentives in year 4 I would have thought.
They could have traded him and there's no way the team bringing him in would agree to that contract. In essence, he traded $14 million this year and $17 million next for $17 million this year and $16 million over the next two seasons. I think year 4 may be a player option (or it has a $7 mil base + incentives).
Old 03-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #433
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

From what I've heard, the cardinals wanted to go 6 years, but Fitzgerald was the one insisting on a 4 year deal because he's looking at a big contract when he's 28.

The cardinals were in horrible cap shape, they either had to rework his contract or look at the possibility of trading him. I read somewhere they just 16 defensive players under contract or something crazy like that.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #434
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Maybe he knew his contract was hurting the team and he wants some glimmer of hope of going to the playoffs
Old 03-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #435
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They are the cardinals though.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #436
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola
I would hope he got some sort of language built in to the new deal so that he could not be franchised at any time.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #437
AlexB
Pro Starter

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?...o&confirm=true

We know two things for sure: despite Goodell worrying about teams spying, there can be no accusations that the Rams taped the Dolphins early season matches

$2.1m bonus and $4m 1st year? I can only guess they drafting a QB, and Green's FOF card would have 'Mentor' on it...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #438
st.cronin
General Manager

Harrington resigns with the Falcons. Maybe they're not thinking about Ryan at 1.3 after all.

knives out
Old 03-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #439
bhlloy
Coordinator

The only thing I can conclude from the Green signing is that he pissed somebody in the Rams front office before he left, and said guy is getting his own back. It's almost too much money for a guy who was going to retire - "hey, he won't be able to turn THIS down, and then we put him behind the worst line in the league and dude can't run anymore and is on his eighteenth concussion. heh heh heh. he'll be a cabbage before the end of the preseason"
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #440
st.cronin
General Manager

Also the Jets signed Jesse Chatman. Hmmm.

knives out
Old 03-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #441
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Harrington resigns with the Falcons. Maybe they're not thinking about Ryan at 1.3 after all.

Oh I think they still are going QB at 1.3. I was surprised when they cut Harrington, maybe it was for cap reasons. Given last year's rash of QB injuries, you need a good second string QB, and Harrington's not a bad choice there, especially given the other choices on the roster at the moment. And he can be a mentor for which ever QB they go for.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #442
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Redskins offseason is already a success - cutting Brandon Lloyd and re-signing Rock Cartwright...

Speaking of Cartwright... he seems to me like the standard type of guy we see all the time in FOF free agency, who's sitting out there asking for either minimum salary or maybe a shade more. I see that Cartwright signed for three years with the Skins... I wonder how much they had to pay him to get him to lock up for multiple years. I generally believe this is *too easy* to do in FOF... he seems like a good example of same. I think of him as the standard type pf guy who fits this bill... modest bars, adds some cohesion or maybe an affinity, can play some special teams... valuable to you, but not a guy you exactly build around, nor one that another team is going to swoop in and overpay for, either.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #443
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

What possible connection could you see between these two decisions?
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #444
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
What possible connection could you see between these two decisions?

Keep in mind, they had already resigned Chris Redman. I just think it would be odd to sign two veteran qbs, and then draft somebody with the third pick.

knives out
Old 03-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #445
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Latest out of Detroit is that the Lions have cut running back Kevin Jones.

Their backfield now consists of Tatum Bell, who was benched for the final 10 games last year; Aveion Cason, who has been cut and re-signed by the Lions more times than I can count; and Brian Calhoun, who has spent the last two seasons on IR.

They fire Mike Martz and hire Jim Colleto to be the offensive coordinator so they can take the emphasis off the passing game - and, by extension, their two Top Five Overall Wide Receivers, Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson - and focus on a more balanced attack using the running game to set up the passing game.

This team makes no fucking sense.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #446
MikeVic
Head Coach

Cut Kevin Jones? Why??
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #447
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Latest out of Detroit is that the Lions have cut running back Kevin Jones.

Their backfield now consists of Tatum Bell, who was benched for the final 10 games last year; Aveion Cason, who has been cut and re-signed by the Lions more times than I can count; and Brian Calhoun, who has spent the last two seasons on IR.

They fire Mike Martz and hire Jim Colleto to be the offensive coordinator so they can take the emphasis off the passing game - and, by extension, their two Top Five Overall Wide Receivers, Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson - and focus on a more balanced attack using the running game to set up the passing game.

This team makes no fucking sense.

Its obviously my mock draft intuitiviness. But hey if we go RB now which we should, we won't take bust Otah.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #448
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Cut Kevin Jones? Why??

a) So the Seahawks can sign him

b) So the Lions have ample cap room to sign Shaun Alexander once he's cut
Old 03-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #449
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Now the Lions have released defensive end Kalimba Edwards.

He sucks.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #450
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This is just depressing:

From the 2002 draft, the Lions have one player remaining (fifth-rounder John Owens, who has bounced around the league). From the 2003 draft, the Lions have one player remaining (Cory Redding). The Lions do not have a starter on the roster, other than Roy Williams, from the 2004 and 2005 drafts.