Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2007, 10:23 AM   #401
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

In keeping up with all the sales numbers and informaton and updating this thread, do you even have TIME to play with the PS3?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:32 AM   #402
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Read carefully.............

I said I posted the totals, nothing more. I kept the points about the 360 and the PS3 in separate points. Point #1 of the post clearly stated that the 360 had a good October.

Regarding the rest of that post, that was obviously my opinion based on what the market held. Obviously, given the early November numbers I just posted, it would appear that my opinion concerning the worldwide November numbers was spot-on. Is it bias if I was right?

Since some other people said there was no way that the PS3 would win worldwide, is it bias fueling their posts since they were apparently wrong? No, it's opinion and it's a discussion. People have a right to say whatever they want without being attacked for their opinion, even if it does contain some level of bias on one side or the other.

I'll try one last time. No one disputes that you will say positive things about Microsoft and negative things about Sony. What gets people laughing at what you have to say is your SPIN after those comments. As in the example I gave above. Yes, you posted numbers showing good things for Microsoft and bad things for Sony, but immediately said how good things were for Sony anyway. You do that pretty much every time. And you are very zealous about it. You can never let a negative thing for Sony or a positive thing for Microsoft go for long at all without twisting it somehow in Sony's favor. You have an opinion that favors Sony on every tiny little bit of video gaming news you can get your hands on, even when your opinion flies in the face of all the facts you just presented. THAT'S why you get the reputation as a spin-doctor. Pay close attention to the post that started this particular chain and I think you'll see the same thing said differently.

Yes, Sony had their second month where their numbers may have come close to the 360 (as you said, we'll wait for NPD, which may tilt them even more in Sony's favor). You then jump to the conclusion that this means they'll catch Microsoft soon. If they wait until 2009 to do so (which would take a huge jump AHEAD of the 360 in sales to do), they'll do it right near the end of what everyone believes is this generation of consoles (4th year for the 360). And you base all of this on maybe the second month in the last 5 or 6 where they actually gained anything at all on the 360.

No one can figure out where you get your opinions from, especially when you post facts that contradict your own opinion, yet somehow try to use those facts to bolster your opinion.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #403
TroyF
Coordinator

1) I've told MBBF repeatedly that MS doesn't plan to win the Japan market. They know damned well they can't win that market. MS is concentrating mainly on US sales. It's the reason they beat the PS3 to market by a year and what they were going after. Trying to spin that in any other way (ie: automakers, blah, blah, blah) is idiotic.

2) The Wii is going to win this generation in terms of hardware sales. This industry is about more than hardware sales though. I think the 360 (and PS3 now that they have their heads out of their asses) can do some major damage in software sales over the life of the systems.

3) Sony makes a price cut, actually puts out advertising that is fairly good and they couldn't catch the 360 here. That's a disaster. The PS3 has now been out over a year and they are still coming up 127k short in the US market. This is the collapse of a brand name that is rarely seen. It'd be like RC Cola outselling Coke. Last gen saw the PS2 beat the Xbox by a count of 120 million (and counting) to 24 million. Now they are getting their asses handed to them. What a disaster.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #404
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

You can't say MS hasn't been trying in Japan though. They've spent a lot of money to get games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey as 360 exclusives to cater to Japanese gamers but it just didn't work.

Quote:
There is an interesting rumor out there. Based on a new patent applied for by Sega, there is speculation that a Dreamcast 2 might be in the works.

That would be awesome, potentially a second console worth buying this generation. Unfortunately it's about a one in a million chance and anyhow Sega's games aren't half as good as they used to be.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #405
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
1)3) Sony makes a price cut, actually puts out advertising that is fairly good and they couldn't catch the 360 here. That's a disaster. The PS3 has now been out over a year and they are still coming up 127k short in the US market. This is the collapse of a brand name that is rarely seen. It'd be like RC Cola outselling Coke. Last gen saw the PS2 beat the Xbox by a count of 120 million (and counting) to 24 million. Now they are getting their asses handed to them. What a disaster.

I was going to reply with my impression of MTBB's response to this, but I got bored. Something along the lines of, "Yeah, we know that already. I said that 6 weeks ago. Btw, Sony has announced that new PS3s will now come with a spare power cable and a contraceptive sponge, bringing the real cost down to $49."

Hmmm - I guess I was only half-bored.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #406
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
In keeping up with all the sales numbers and informaton and updating this thread, do you even have TIME to play with the PS3?

Baby goes to bed after 8:30 PM. Gaming time comes after that.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #407
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
You can't say MS hasn't been trying in Japan though. They've spent a lot of money to get games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey as 360 exclusives to cater to Japanese gamers but it just didn't work.

They were trying to get a footprint. They spent some money to get games Japanese gamers like, but that money was also spent to give American gamers what they wanted as well. (those games were released in all territories)

MS never planned on winning in Japan. They never planned on finishing second in Japan. The goal was to try to carve out some market share. They aren't doing a good job with that, but lets not make it seem like MS had this great expectation of dominating in Japan. That's just false.

Hell, MS really only wanted to carve out some of Sony's market share in the US too. I don't think for a second they really believed they could win the battle with Sony this generation. Unless a miracle occurs, they'll do just that.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #408
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
1) I've told MBBF repeatedly that MS doesn't plan to win the Japan market. They know damned well they can't win that market. MS is concentrating mainly on US sales. It's the reason they beat the PS3 to market by a year and what they were going after. Trying to spin that in any other way (ie: automakers, blah, blah, blah) is idiotic.

2) The Wii is going to win this generation in terms of hardware sales. This industry is about more than hardware sales though. I think the 360 (and PS3 now that they have their heads out of their asses) can do some major damage in software sales over the life of the systems.

3) Sony makes a price cut, actually puts out advertising that is fairly good and they couldn't catch the 360 here. That's a disaster. The PS3 has now been out over a year and they are still coming up 127k short in the US market. This is the collapse of a brand name that is rarely seen. It'd be like RC Cola outselling Coke. Last gen saw the PS2 beat the Xbox by a count of 120 million (and counting) to 24 million. Now they are getting their asses handed to them. What a disaster.

1. MS has dumped hundreds of millions of dollars into both the Japanese and European markets. It's been pretty successful in Europe and a disaster in Japan. Saying that MS isn't trying in Japan is a farce.

2. Agreed.

3. I disagree with your statement here somewhat. I agree in that Sony has messed up in regard to market share. They should have easily held serve in this generation, but shot themselves in the foot with some of their decisions. I disagree in that I firmly believe that Sony will surpass the 360 in market share worldwide in 2 years' time.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-07-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #409
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
If they wait until 2009 to do so (which would take a huge jump AHEAD of the 360 in sales to do), they'll do it right near the end of what everyone believes is this generation of consoles (4th year for the 360). And you base all of this on maybe the second month in the last 5 or 6 where they actually gained anything at all on the 360.

This is certainly an interesting point here. If either company decides to bring out a new console in 2010, they're going to be doing a major disservice to their company. I'd argue that a new console any earlier than 2012-2013 would be a misstep similar to what the PS3 did this generation bringing out an overpriced console to a market that wasn't ready for it. Let's go with your assumption on the 360 that a new console comes in 2010. Retail it for $400 or so. Run that console up against the PS3, which likely will be retailing for around $200 or possibly even less. You're going to have some slow adoption rates on that new console, assuming that it's just a standard console with upgraded horsepower much like the PS3 or 360. But that's WAY in the future and makes a lot of assumptions. It's certainly a good discussion topic at face value.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #410
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
1. MS has dumped hundreds of millions of dollars into both the Japanese and European markets. It's been pretty successful in Europe and a disaster in Japan. Saying that MS isn't trying in Japan is a farce.

2. Agreed.

3. I disagree with your statement here somewhat. I agree in that Sony has messed up in regard to market share. They should have easily held serve in this generation, but shot themselves in the foot with some of their decisions. I disagree in that I firmly believe that Sony will surpass the 360 in market share worldwide in 2 years' time.

In two years time? You think the PS3 is going to outsell the 360 by over 7.4 million units in the next 24 months? You think they'll generate over 308 thousand more units a month than the 360 24 straight months? Okily dokily.

as far as MS in Japan, you are a fool if you think MS planned on winning or even getting solid market share in Japan. They aren't that stupid. They wanted to carve up a slice of the pie for themselves. There is no way in hell they planned on winning it or competing with Sony on their turf.

I hate to break it to you, but the MS guys are fairly good businessman. They didn't anticipate a situation that was 120 million to 24 million in favor of Sony to spin their way in one generation. They certainly didn't expect that in markets Sony has dominated in. If you honestly believe they did, there really is no hope for you and I'm convinced you are on the Sony payroll.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #411
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
as far as MS in Japan, you are a fool if you think MS planned on winning or even getting solid market share in Japan. They aren't that stupid. They wanted to carve up a slice of the pie for themselves. There is no way in hell they planned on winning it or competing with Sony on their turf.

I hate to break it to you, but the MS guys are fairly good businessman. They didn't anticipate a situation that was 120 million to 24 million in favor of Sony to spin their way in one generation. They certainly didn't expect that in markets Sony has dominated in. If you honestly believe they did, there really is no hope for you and I'm convinced you are on the Sony payroll.

No, they never expected to win Japan, but they expected to cut out a slice of the market no doubt. The fact that they've spent a lot more money on the 360 in Japan than the original Xbox and yet have nothing to show for it is a definite disappointment. They'd love to get a 15-20% share in that market, but it appears that it's not going to happen.

Those fairly good businessmen still haven't officially made a profit on the Xbox line of consoles. They're making in-roads in regard to market share, but it's come at a steep monetary price. Also, your implication that the console war has gone in their favor and has no chance to change is awfully premature given that several years still exist in this current console. The 360 has certainly done well thus far compared to the last generation and I'm sure MS hopes that continues.

The implication that I'm on Sony's payroll is laughable. Name-calling or implying that someone is on a payroll doesn't add anything to the discussion nor does it have any basis in fact.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-07-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #412
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
They'd love to get a 15-20% share in that market, but it appears that it's not going to happen.

Who would have thought that we'd be saying the same thing about Sony in the US.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:59 PM   #413
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
No, they never expected to win Japan, but they expected to cut out a slice of the market no doubt. The fact that they've spent a lot more money on the 360 in Japan than the original Xbox and yet have nothing to show for it is a definite disappointment. They'd love to get a 15-20% share in that market, but it appears that it's not going to happen.

Those fairly good businessmen still haven't officially made a profit on the Xbox line of consoles. They're making in-roads in regard to market share, but it's come at a steep monetary price. Also, your implication that the console war has gone in their favor and has no chance to change is awfully premature given that several years still exist in this current console. The 360 has certainly done well thus far compared to the last generation and I'm sure MS hopes that continues.

The implication that I'm on Sony's payroll is laughable. Name-calling or implying that someone is on a payroll doesn't add anything to the discussion nor does it have any basis in fact.

Implication that the war is over? No chance to change? Where have I said that? I haven't said it once.

I stated fact: The Sony release is a disaster.

I stated fact: That if Sony were to catch the 360 in Worldwide numbers in 2 years time it'd force them to outsell the 360 by close to 310,000 units a month for the next 24 months.

I have never stated this war is over. I've never implied it's over. (outside of saying the Wii will win hardware in a landslide, but that's just obvious)

You are the one who is posting things with no basis in fact.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #414
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Who would have thought that we'd be saying the same thing about Sony in the US.

The Wii has obviously put both the 360 and the PS3 on their heels. Both of those consoles are going to be lucky to have 25% of the total consoles when the Wii is included in that market. It will have at least 50-60% of the market when it's all said and done if you consider it a 3 console race.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #415
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
You are the one who is posting things with no basis in fact.

Alright Troy. I fear your blood pressure may be out of control at this point. I'm going to let you have the last word.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #416
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Alright Troy. I fear your blood pressure may be out of control at this point. I'm going to let you have the last word.

Don't worry about my blood pressure. I don't take this stuff seriously. It's just my writing style. This doesn't take away from the fact that what I wrote in my last post was accurate. You gave me the last word because you knew that, not because you were worried I'd have a heart attack.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #417
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Don't worry about my blood pressure. I don't take this stuff seriously. It's just my writing style. This doesn't take away from the fact that what I wrote in my last post was accurate. You gave me the last word because you knew that, not because you were worried I'd have a heart attack.

Glad to hear you health is in order.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #418
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good news for Europeans who don't want to buy the 40 GB PS3. Multiple retailers are now listing the 80 GB PS3 machine with a release date in February. Sony really needed to provide another option as the 60 GB machine is all but gone, leaving Europe with only the 40 GB PS3 as an option.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #419
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Whatever we think about each other's thoughts about consoles and games, we can all agree that each of us knows a heck of a lot more than the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/30/te...adget_web.html

Quote:
An article in Business Day on Friday about favorite gadgets of executives referred incorrectly to the video game Gran Turismo 5. It has not yet been released, and thus is not a best-selling game. The article also referred imprecisely to the game Halo 3. It is the first game in the Halo series designed for the Xbox 360; the earlier games, though playable on the Xbox 360, were designed for the original Xbox. The chip in the Xbox 360 also was misidentified. It has a Xenon chip, not a Cell processor. And the article also misstated the price of the Sony PlayStation 3. The PlayStation 3 starts at $399, not $299.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #420
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Lots of gaming news this week:

New boxing game announced by 2K. Coming for Wii and 360 (no PS3 version announced). Created by the same group that made the 'Rocky' video game:

http://2ksports.com/games/prizefighter/

Codemasters is going after P2P downloaders of console games. They are reportedly asking for $1,000 per illegal download.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12..._file_sharers/

PS3 users will reportedly get a price break on the Lost Planet port. It will be priced at $40. In related news, the upcoming Lost Planet Colonies is scheduled for a simultaneous release on the 360 and PS3.

Big week in Japan for the PS3 as Gran Turismo 5: Prologue is released. In the U.S., Unreal Tournament 3 for the PS3 will finally hit the shelves.

Capcom also announced that a sequel for Zack and Wiki is in the works.

God of War 3 has been officially confirmed for the PS3. Release currently set for early 2009.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-10-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #421
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New footage of Little Big Planet shown last night during the 2007 Video Game Awards.

Trailer link:

http://www.psu.com/LittleBigPlanet-V...--vid16539.php
Old 12-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #422
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Lots of gaming news this week:

New boxing game announced by 2K. Coming for Wii and 360 (no PS3 version announced). Created by the same group that made the 'Rocky' video game:

http://2ksports.com/games/prizefighter/

Capcom also announced that a sequel for Zack and Wiki is in the works.

Hopefully the boxing game is good, I'm not a big fan of Don King being in the title though. First time I've seen Wii/360/DS on a multiplatform game while the PlayStation family gets shunned.

Zack and Wiki must not have bombed nearly as hard here as it did in Japan for a sequel to be announced already. My copy of the first game is en route, looking forward to finally trying it out.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:35 PM   #423
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Bioshock won Game of the Year award from Spike's Video Game Awards:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183845...stnews;title;0
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #424
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Yet Call of Duty 4 beat it for Best Shooter. I will never even be curious about this dumb award show's results anymore.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #425
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I thought COD 4 was better than Bioshock, but I'm silly like that.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #426
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I thought COD 4 was better than Bioshock, but I'm silly like that.

I don't know what the better game is, since I haven't really played either. Just played a demo for Bioshock on computer. But I think it's dumb for a game to lose its category, yet win the overall best game award.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #427
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I don't know what the better game is, since I haven't really played either. Just played a demo for Bioshock on computer. But I think it's dumb for a game to lose its category, yet win the overall best game award.

Maybe they thought overall, it was the most complete game as COD 4 is shorter, game wise.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #428
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe they thought overall, it was the most complete game as COD 4 is shorter, game wise.

That was part of my thoughts on it. Also, maybe they thought the shooter mechanic on COD 4 is better, but the overall game including story, art, voice acting, etc was better done in Bioshock. *shrug*
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #429
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

I don't know... I'm thinking something along the lines of:
"The best ice sport this year was hockey, and the best overall sport this year was curling."

How can curling not win its group and still go on to win best sport? It's my own opinion of course.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #430
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Yet Call of Duty 4 beat it for Best Shooter. I will never even be curious about this dumb award show's results anymore.

Not to mention the Orange Box winning best PC game over both.

It's a complete shambles that Super Mario Galaxy wasn't even nominated for the overall prize and confusing to see it listed as an action game, but hey it's GameSpot-affiliated and we all know what kind of credibility they have after the Gerstmann incident so who really cares.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #431
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

It's a complete shambles that Super Mario Galaxy wasn't even nominated for the overall prize

I THINK THE PRIZE WAS ONLY FOR NEXT-GEN GAMES SO THAT WAS PROBABLY WHY
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #432
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

In EGM's rumor section this month it says that the new Tecmo Bowl game will be for the PS3/360 and come out in Summer 2008. I know absolutely nothing else about the game but hopefully it turns out good, Madden has become rather stale IMO and these sports games need as much competition as possible.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:29 AM   #433
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Taking nothing away from Bioshock, this award show is more about advertising dollars than anything else.

A blatent example was the 'Innovation Award -- Powered by Dew'. The winner of the award was 'Halo 3'. Couple of points..........

1. Halo 3 is a good game, but it would be one of the last new releases that most people would call 'innovative'.

2. The award was sponsored by Mountain Dew, which was a major corporate sponsor and advertiser of................Halo 3.

I don't think I need to connect the dots any further for you.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:42 AM   #434
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More game announcements and sales numbers. European sales numbers for the week ending December 9th are in. Wii and PS3 both sell 25K more units than the previous week. 360 sold 35K more units than the previous week.

Quote:
Wii: 269,649
PS3: 195,606
PS2: 170,607
360: 143,621

Xbox 360 will get an exclusive version of 'Front Mission'

Exclusive Square sequel for PS3 in the works (rumored to be a Parasite Eve sequel)

Mass Effect sequels (reportedly 2 more planned) will be published by Microsoft, ensuring that game remains on the 360.

Gears of War 2 will see release in late 2008 or early 2009 with Gears of War 3 already planned for a 2010 release.

Analysts at Economist.com believe that PS3 will surpass the 360 in worldwide consoles sold in late 2008 and pull even with the Wii in 2011.......

http://economist.com/business/displa...ry_id=10251308

Quote:
This week's deal shows how the software business is changing; and things are happening in hardware too. Microsoft's Xbox 360, Sony's PS3 and Nintendo's Wii are fighting for supremacy. In September the Xbox 360, which was launched in late 2005, a year ahead of its two rivals, was overtaken by the Wii as the most popular of the present generation of consoles (see chart). Mr Bach says he is unfazed. “It's not even a statistic I track all that closely,” he says. The Wii's popularity stems from its low price and its innovative motion-sensitive controller, which can be pointed and waved to control the on-screen action and encourages novices to give gaming a try. But the Wii lacks the high-definition graphics of its two rivals, so it could soon start to look dated. The real battle is between the Xbox 360 and the PS3, Mr Bach suggests.

Sales of the PS3, which have been sluggish, seem to have taken off after Sony removed some features and dropped the price. In Japan the PS3 even outsold the Wii in November, according to Enterbrain, a market-research firm. As more games become available for the PS3 next year, sales are expected to rise even further, says Mr Harding-Rolls, so that by 2011 the PS3 will have caught up with the Wii. In short, each of the consoles will be in front at various points in the “console cycle”.

In the previous cycle, dominated by Sony, programmers could address most of the market simply by writing games for the PlayStation 2. But if all the consoles matter, games companies have to produce games that run on all of them. That strengthens the case for consolidation. In other words, expect more deals.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-11-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:17 AM   #435
Bee
Pro Starter

Based on how far off their predictions were from mid 2005, I'm placing the odds of them being right at about 10,000 to 1.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #436
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Analysts at Economist.com believe that PS3 will surpass the 360 in worldwide consoles sold in late 2008 and pull even with the Wii in 2011.......

That's a fun graph, and is based on a HUGE upswing in PS3 sales (just look how steep that line gets at the end of 2007) and a steady-or-declining-slightly 360 sales.

And of course the graph is end-of-year only and says NOTHING about individual month-to-month sales. They aren't predicting "late 2008", they are simply saying "by the end of 2008". And the only numbers on the chart that have any actual fact behind them are the end-of-2006 starting point numbers for each console.

And finally, they are all based on Microsoft and Nintendo doing absolutely nothing over the next few years.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #437
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Based on how far off their predictions were from mid 2005, I'm placing the odds of them being right at about 10,000 to 1.

Any link to the prediction you mention in 2005? I can't find any predictions from the same analyst during that time frame. The only mention I see from that site during that period is the Microsoft sales estimates, which weren't all that rosy at the time. But those sales estimates were from Microsoft, not this analyst. To be honest, given your logic, Microsoft shouldn't be trusted either. Their estimates were incorrect in 2005 as well (See update on November 1st, 2005).

http://www.screendigest.com/online_s.../games/updates

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-11-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #438
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
That's a fun graph, and is based on a HUGE upswing in PS3 sales (just look how steep that line gets at the end of 2007) and a steady-or-declining-slightly 360 sales.

And of course the graph is end-of-year only and says NOTHING about individual month-to-month sales. They aren't predicting "late 2008", they are simply saying "by the end of 2008". And the only numbers on the chart that have any actual fact behind them are the end-of-2006 starting point numbers for each console.

And finally, they are all based on Microsoft and Nintendo doing absolutely nothing over the next few years.

I don't disagree with anything you've stated here. I find it interesting that similar predictions keep coming out in multiple publications. I'd love for someone to ask some of these analysts how they can predict those major upswings in the PS3 sales given that the PS3 is only slightly outselling the 360 worldwide this month and is well behind the Wii in worldwide sales this month. Hell, maybe I'll fire off an e-mail to ask this guy. It's certainly an interesting discussion point.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #439
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I don't disagree with anything you've stated here. I find it interesting that similar predictions keep coming out in multiple publications. I'd love for someone to ask some of these analysts how they can predict those major upswings in the PS3 sales given that the PS3 is only slightly outselling the 360 worldwide this month and is well behind the Wii in worldwide sales this month. Hell, maybe I'll fire off an e-mail to ask this guy. It's certainly an interesting discussion point.

I'll be honest and say I wouldn't be SHOCKED if this all comes to fruition. But, I just don't see where there is evidence right now to claim that it actually WILL happen.

One or two months of upswing after a price decrease without a decrease from your competitors, imo, is not enough to prove a trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #440
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I'll be honest and say I wouldn't be SHOCKED if this all comes to fruition. But, I just don't see where there is evidence right now to claim that it actually WILL happen.

One or two months of upswing after a price decrease without a decrease from your competitors, imo, is not enough to prove a trend.

Part of the problem in this case is that we're dealing with inadequate information. In these kinds of articles, we get the basic overview of the analysis with very little of the actual data behind that final analysis overview. They have it all available at the website, but it's a paid data website similar to NPD, so it's tough to get the full information unless your company is one of the groups that subscribes to the data analysis. I'm pretty sure that they don't just go on a month of spiked sales, as they were predicting a 2008 PS3 surge this past summer even before the official price cut, but without the details, it's tough to put the pieces together.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #441
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Any link to the prediction you mention in 2005? I can't find any predictions from the same analyst during that time frame. The only mention I see from that site during that period is the Microsoft sales estimates, which weren't all that rosy at the time. But those sales estimates were from Microsoft, not this analyst. To be honest, given your logic, Microsoft shouldn't be trusted either. Their estimates were incorrect in 2005 as well (See update on November 1st, 2005).

http://www.screendigest.com/online_s.../games/updates

Well, if you don't see the difference between a company predicting their own success and an "independent" company forecast there's not a lot to discuss. But yes, for the record, I generally don't put a lot of stock in any company generated estimates when talking about their own future.

As far as the previous prediction, I saw it on another forum and I'm far to lazy to go find links and such. I only follow this stuff a little because I find your constant spin so hilariously entertaining.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #442
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
As far as the previous prediction, I saw it on another forum and I'm far to lazy to go find links and such.

OK, I'll just take your word for it.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #443
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
OK, I'll just take your word for it.

aw shucks...you're questioning my integrity. ouch.

It was on quarter to three if you want to go find it yourself.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #444
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
aw shucks...you're questioning my integrity. ouch.

It was on quarter to three if you want to go find it yourself.

I don't question your integrity. I'll take the numbers that were predicted even without a link if that's what it takes. It's just awfully hard to carry on any discussion in relation to your points as you'd prefer to crack jokes rather than produce meaningful discussion.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #445
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I don't get why MS doesn't just drop the price another $100 on the 360 and leave Sony in their dust, which would also force Nintendo to make a cut on the Wii.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #446
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I don't get why MS doesn't just drop the price another $100 on the 360 and leave Sony in their dust, which would also force Nintendo to make a cut on the Wii.

I'm not sure they're able to do that right now. They're not making much on the current console as they just dropped the prices to compete with the Sony price drop. They're just now getting to the point where the 360 console is making some money on a per unit sales basis. A price drop would put them back into a loss per unit situation, when they're at a point in the life cycle where they should be able to reduce costs to the point where they make money on the console. Dropping the price $100 would kill any chances of that happening.

The Wii wouldn't need a price cut even if MS did drop the price $100. They're selling every console they can make right now. It's actually hurting them a bit right now because they could sell a whole lot more this holiday season if they weren't so supply constrained. Nintendo has actually cancelled future advertising in all three major regions because they don't need to build any further demand. I'm not sure that they should stop building demand just because supply is exceeded by demand, but we'll have to see what happens.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-11-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #447
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Quote:

This makes sense to me, somewhat. As a complete package, Bioshock was great. The art design and atmosphere were excellent. As a shooter though? Boring. It added nothing to the genre.

My game of the year would've been Mass Effect or Mario Galaxy, anyhow.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #448
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
But the Wii lacks the high-definition graphics of its two rivals, so it could soon start to look dated. The real battle is between the Xbox 360 and the PS3, Mr Bach suggests.

They still don't get it. We live in a world where 60% of HD TVs are running composite feeds. I think the Wii has proven at this point that the HD thing isn't really all that relevant.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #449
TroyF
Coordinator

I just finished Call of Duty 4. I've finished Mass Effect. I'm working my way thorugh Super Mario Galaxy.

Outside of RTS games and the Rock Band game, I've played just about everything else at one time or another this year.

Bioshock wins Game of the Year by a wide margain for me. Nothing else has come as close to immersing me in the character or environment.

I liked COD4. It's short, but it's a solid game. Some terrific moments in it. (I loved the chopper sequence in it where you shoot the guys around the church. I will replay that level for kicks)

Still, Bioshock was the more innovative game, the more immersive game, the prettier looking game and had 25x the story.

My overall game of year, console game of the year and 360 game of the year is Bioshock hands down. (and no, I don't have any advertising funding comgin my way)
Old 12-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #450
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm not sure they're able to do that right now. They're not making much on the current console as they just dropped the prices to compete with the Sony price drop. They're just now getting to the point where the 360 console is making some money on a per unit sales basis. A price drop would put them back into a loss per unit situation, when they're at a point in the life cycle where they should be able to reduce costs to the point where they make money on the console. Dropping the price $100 would kill any chances of that happening.

This is Microsoft we're talking about. If there is a company in this world that can afford, and is often willing, to lose a few million to destroy their competition, it is Microsoft.

Quote:
The Wii wouldn't need a price cut even if MS did drop the price $100. They're selling every console they can make right now. It's actually hurting them a bit right now because they could sell a whole lot more this holiday season if they weren't so supply constrained. Nintendo has actually cancelled future advertising in all three major regions because they don't need to build any further demand. I'm not sure that they should stop building demand just because supply is exceeded by demand, but we'll have to see what happens.

If MS were to drop the 360 by $100, I think the demand for the Wii would drop off quite appreciably. As much as I love my Wii, there is no denying that a lot of its greatness is the "bang for the buck" factor. If you had a 360 sitting next to a Wii for basically the same price, it becomes a harder sell.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote