Head Coach

Gah...I hate that school and it's damn horse
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #402
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
IMO, Jefferson is the best player on this team, not Mayo.

Absolutely no question about that. Jefferson is a beast. Mayo is fluff. Are you telling me Chevy gave the POG to Mayo? Geez.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #403
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
Absolutely no question about that. Jefferson is a beast. Mayo is fluff. Are you telling me Chevy gave the POG to Mayo? Geez.

Yup. And right after the announcers spent a minute talking about the great game Jefferson had. Just laughable. They award POGs to each side. On UCLA's side, Love got it with 18 points/12 boards, so he was a good pick. On USC's side, they put up Mayo, noting he scored 2 points in the first half and jumped it up 16 points in the second half. Got it. So you gave it to the guy who only showed up for a half, instead of the top scorer in the game, and the guy who pretty much keyed the entire victory for SC? Yeah...

I know CBS was billing this as Mayo vs Love, but, really...

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #404
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
USC beats UCLA 72-63, and #9 Texas A&M is down by 9 to Kansas State in the 2nd half as well.

I was listening to that KSU-A&M game on the radio. Kansas State was just clicking on all cylinders, kindof like Mizzou over Texas. It wasn't so much what A&M or Texas was doing to lose but what the winning teams did to blitz them.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #405
MrBug708
Head Coach

Zags hanging tough as Few is coaching circles around Cal
Old 01-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #406
miami_fan
Coordinator

A light bulb went off in the Tigers' collective head. We can't shoot threes for shit and we have better athletes than the Zags. Maybe it would be a good idea to take the ball to the hole.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #407
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Another KU game that's already over at the half.

As I said a few weeks ago, I wish we had a better non-conference schedule as there's just not much standing in the way of us going 13-3 in the Big XII or better this season.

(and I say that knowing full well that we could lose in Manhattan later this week for the first time in about 25 years)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-26-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #408
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I heard the final of that one and thought it must be quite galling for Nebraska fans to have KU flog them in both football and basketball.

On a more personal note, State wins a nailbiter at FSU to get to 2-3 in the ACC. Season saver? Perhaps, but they are likely to get run off the floor in their next game against Duke the same way they got pounded by Carolina and Clemson.

Oddly enough, State is apparently the best team in Florida as they won all three games in the Old Spice tournament in Orlando, beat Miami last weekend (though the game was in Raleigh), and beat FSU today.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #409
Logan
Head Coach

Great win for Rutgers tonight at Pitt! Back to back wins against ranked teams for the second time in school history, with the first being my freshman year (01-02). Shot lights out from the field including 64% from 3 point range.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #410
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tennessee rebounds from the disappointing loss at Kentucky to rout Georgia at home. Lofton had 7 threes en route to a 21 point halftime lead & then the Vols basically coasted home 85-69.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #411
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/14329462.html

Actually not trying to dogpile here. I just saw a great joke on a BRO from this story.

Someone in this story thread said "Tim Floyd claimed the drugs are his!", and it made me spit me milk up.

In all seriousness, nice win tonight for the Condoms at Mac Arena. That's a tough place to win, and the LA schools went up there and swept Oregon in a building it was 25-2 in the past two years.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:21 AM   #412
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, UCLA dominated Oregon State tonight on the road. Even though OSU isn't so hot (they're probably the only team in the Pac 10 that doesn't have a chance to get into a postseason tournament), this was a good win for what UCLA has been showing recently.

The good news for the Bruins (and awful news for everyone else) is that it is stunningly clear that no matter how good you thought he was doing in November, Kevin Love is clearly getting better. No team can afford to put one guy on him. Oregon and Oregon State did this the past two games, and he had 42 points and 38 rebounds in the two games.

Second bit of good news--Collison, a preseason All American, finally looks like he is back full from the knee injury he suffered at the start of the year. He has been smoothly running the offense, playing shutdown quick D and getting into the lane whenever he wants to.

Now if UCLA can get healthy (still missing The Prince and Roll), we can really get on a roll, which is what Howland's teams tend to do in February on.

I'm not a big fan of Cinderellas this year. There are some really good teams and I want the best at the Final Four. I want to see Kansas vs North Carolina, and (again) Memphis vs UCLA sometime during the tourney. And Tennessee, Indiana, Washington State, Texas, Duke, etc. I think it could be a great tourney.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:34 AM   #413
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
BTW, UCLA dominated Oregon State tonight on the road. Even though OSU isn't so hot (they're probably the only team in the Pac 10 that doesn't have a chance to get into a postseason tournament), this was a good win for what UCLA has been showing recently.

The good news for the Bruins (and awful news for everyone else) is that it is stunningly clear that no matter how good you thought he was doing in November, Kevin Love is clearly getting better. No team can afford to put one guy on him. Oregon and Oregon State did this the past two games, and he had 42 points and 38 rebounds in the two games.

Second bit of good news--Collison, a preseason All American, finally looks like he is back full from the knee injury he suffered at the start of the year. He has been smoothly running the offense, playing shutdown quick D and getting into the lane whenever he wants to.

Now if UCLA can get healthy (still missing The Prince and Roll), we can really get on a roll, which is what Howland's teams tend to do in February on.

I'm not a big fan of Cinderellas this year. There are some really good teams and I want the best at the Final Four. I want to see Kansas vs North Carolina, and (again) Memphis vs UCLA sometime during the tourney. And Tennessee, Indiana, Washington State, Texas, Duke, etc. I think it could be a great tourney.

Brook Lopez' NBA career will last longer than Kevin Love's.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #414
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I would much rather face North Carolina than UCLA. The Bruins are the one team that really scares me when matched up against us. This is not to say a game against North Carolina or Memphis or another one of the really good teams would be a walk in the park- it's just that we match up worst against UCLA.

SI

Old 01-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #415
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Brook Lopez' NBA career will last longer than Kevin Love's.

You expectin' a fight, funboy? I don't see anything in my post above about Love's NBA potential.

I think Lopez could have a longer NBA career than Love as well. Although I think it's just as likely Love has a longer NBA career as a plugger, while Lopez has a shorter career with better results.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #416
Butter
Coordinator

Dayton set to drop from the top 25 this week, as about 2 weeks ago, 2 of their top 4 players went down with broken bones in their feet. And it showed in blowout losses at Xavier, and at Richmond. The loss of 2 top scorers has allowed opponents to just double their All-American guard candidate, Brian Roberts, leaving virtually no one capable of scoring significant points left open on the floor.

The dream season is slowly turning into a nightmare. The Flyers and their fans just haven't gotten any luck for nearly 25 years now.

Last edited by Butter : 01-28-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #417
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Stefhon Hannah, arguably Mizzou's best player, got hit in a bar altercation Sunday morning. Fractured jaw will basically put him out for the season.

As a sidenote, I know that kids are going to go to bars, but is it too much to ask for them to avoid problems?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #418
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The midseason top 30 for the Wooden award has been released. So far, no one has really pulled away from the pack. Should be an interesting vote for the winner this year, if things hold to form.

Code:
Name Cl. Ht. Pos. School D.J. Augustin So. 6-0 G Texas Michael Beasley Fr. 6-10 F Kansas State Jon Brockman Jr. 6-7 F Washington Chase Budinger So. 6-7 F Arizona Mario Chalmers Jr. 6-1 G Kansas Stephen Curry So. 6-1 G Davidson Chris Douglas-Roberts Jr. 6-7 G Memphis Wayne Ellington So. 6-4 G North Carolina Shan Foster Sr. 6-6 G Vanderbilt Eric Gordon Fr. 6-4 G Indiana Jamont Gordon Jr. 6-4 G/F Mississippi State Malik Hairston Sr. 6-6 G Oregon Tyler Hansbrough Jr. 6-9 F North Carolina Luke Harangody So. 6-8 F Notre Dame James Harden Fr. 6-5 G Arizona State Roy Hibbert Sr. 7-2 C Georgetown Chris Lofton Sr. 6-2 G Tennessee Kevin Love Fr. 6-10 C UCLA Derrick Low Sr. 6-2 G Washington State O.J. Mayo Fr. 6-5 G USC Raymar Morgan So. 6-7 F Michigan State Demarcus Nelson Sr. 6-4 G Duke Tyrese Rice Jr. 6-1 G Boston College Brian Roberts Sr. 6-2 G Dayton Derrick Rose Fr. 6-3 G Memphis Brandon Rush Jr. 6-6 G Kansas Sean Singletary Sr. 6-0 G Virginia Jason Thompson Sr. 6-11 F Rider D.J. White Sr. 6-9 F Indiana Sam Young Jr. 6-6 F Pittsburgh
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #419
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
As a sidenote, I know that kids are going to go to bars, but is it too much to ask for them to avoid problems?

You limit this to just kids?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #420
JeeberD
General Manager

The Miners are giving #1 Memphis all they can handle out in Tennessee today. Twelve minutes to go and the Tigers are only up three...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #421
JeeberD
General Manager

Memphis is shooting 10-25 FTs so far in the game...

Old 02-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #422
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA - Arizona today. The game might actually mean something too, well if Arizona can manage to win
Old 02-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #423
JeeberD
General Manager

Five minutes to go, Joey Dorsey has fouled out, one timeout left for Memphis, and it's all tied up at 57...

Old 02-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #424
JeeberD
General Manager

62-60 Memphis with two and a half to go...

Old 02-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #425
MrBug708
Head Coach

Joey Dorsey is the dumbest player in college basketball, I'm convinced of it.

Go UTEP!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #426
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Jeeber, what channel is that on?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #427
JeeberD
General Manager

Some channel called CSS that I don't get. Having to listen to the audio on-line...

Old 02-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #428
JeeberD
General Manager

Goaltend on the Tigers. 63-62 Tigers with 1:15 left...

Old 02-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #429
JeeberD
General Manager

ESPN is doing the occasional look-in, apparently...

Old 02-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #430
JeeberD
General Manager

65-62 Tigers, 29.2 seconds left. Rose shooting free throws...

made the first.

Edit: made them both.

Last edited by JeeberD : 02-02-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #431
MrBug708
Head Coach

Gah
Old 02-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #432
JeeberD
General Manager

And it's pretty much over. Missed free throws and layups in the final minute will kill you...

Old 02-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #433
JeeberD
General Manager

70-64 final. Damn. I'm SO fucking tired of moral victories. Both in football and basketball we haven't been able to pull out the big win in YEARS.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #434
MrBug708
Head Coach

Cursed them by posting here Jeebs
Old 02-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #435
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Before anyone questions the Tigers after this, remember that Tony Barbie recuited many of the Memphis players and knows Calipari and the Tigers well since he was an assistant with them for so long.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #436
JeeberD
General Manager

Barbee

Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #437
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas with its second straight convincing win over a team they were expected to struggle with. After one of the better halves of basketball in years, Arkansas had a halftime lead of 46-21 over the Florida Gators. Second half wasn't as dominant, but good enough and Arkansas wins 80-61. This is a good sign.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #438
MrBug708
Head Coach

Damn that was beautiful. UCLA just put a beatdown on both Arizona schools this week. If they play like that the rest of the year, no team is going to touch them.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #439
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Damn that was beautiful. UCLA just put a beatdown on both Arizona schools this week. If they play like that the rest of the year, no team is going to touch them.

Yeah, it was disgusting how well they played. I had to turn it off with about 12 minutes to go as it was obvious that Arizona was done.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #440
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas had a hangover to start the game from the beatdown they got at A&M earlier in the week. It was 31-17 early on for Baylor. But Texas finally settled down, and pulled back to being four down at halftime, and pulled away in the second half to win 80-72.

This team is hard to get a read on this season. They have two marquee wins, vs. Tennessee and at UCLA, but got blown out at Mizzou and at A&M. On another front, D.J. Augustin is in contention for the Wooden award, which if he can win, would be three Texas players winning it in the past five seasons. Not bad for a football school. Rick Barnes has done a hell of a job here since he arrived.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #441
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yeah, it was disgusting how well they played. I had to turn it off with about 12 minutes to go as it was obvious that Arizona was done.

Not to sound too cliche, but the loss to USC was the best thing that happened to them. It's a shame it was to USC, but a loss to the crosstown rivals is probably what has jumpstarted them of late.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #442
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Joey Dorsey is the dumbest player in college basketball, I'm convinced of it.

Go UTEP!!!

You hate Memphis for some reason, I'm convinced of it.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #443
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
You hate Memphis for some reason, I'm convinced of it.

Quote:
When UCLA was watching our game (against Bradley on Thursday), I know they were hoping they wouldn't play us," Dorsey said. "We saw them at the Garden, we saw the looks on their faces, and it looked like they didn't want to play us again. ... We know we can play on the road. It's not a bother to us."

He's an idiot
Old 02-03-2008, 01:15 AM   #444
rjolley
College Starter

Penn State with an upset of #7 Michigan State in State College, 85-76.

Watched parts of it. A very intertaining game. If their young players continue to develop, Penn State could cause trouble in the next couple of years. They just have to stay healthy.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:35 AM   #445
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Penn State with an upset of #7 Michigan State in State College, 85-76.

Watched parts of it. A very intertaining game. If their young players continue to develop, Penn State could cause trouble in the next couple of years. They just have to stay healthy.

It's a shame they lost Claxton for the year.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:45 AM   #446
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Just got back and saw Arizona got smacked by UCLA. The Pac-10 is looking like a pretty rough conference this season. UCLA, Stanford, WSU and Arizona all look like formidable tourney teams with USC as a dark horse.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:48 AM   #447
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

It took you watching 28 minutes of game time to figure out Zona was done? I knew they were done in the first five minutes.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #448
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He's an idiot

But an excellent basketball player who is the centerpiece of the #1 team in the country.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #449
JeeberD
General Manager

I don't know if I would call him "excellent". He can't hit free throws, and he allows horrible centers like Victor Ramalho to get under his skin and foul him out...

He is a very good rebounder and shot blocker, though.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #450
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I don't know if I would call him "excellent". He can't hit free throws, and he allows horrible centers like Victor Ramalho to get under his skin and foul him out...

He is a very good rebounder and shot blocker, though.

Without him, Memphis would not be where they are at. When Dorsey fouls out, the games are always much closer. The majority of his fouls are "help" fouls. He is also called for a ton of touch fouls, while he continually gets hacked but rarely does he draw fouls.