Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #401
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why is it pronounced Monte, but spelled Monta. I just saw a 6 foot guy get called for goaltending, dude has massive hops.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #402
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
21 pts, 3 reb, 5 steals, in 37 minutes before fouling out with 0:14 left.

Could be he shot a ton and had a terrible percentage, but assuming that was on decent shooting, Wallace abused Horford. That's significantly better than Wallace's scoring average. And how many of the steals were off of Horford (although I suspect not much--Horford wasn't likely to be putting the ball on the floor, and I doubt the Pistons would double off of Johnson, Smith or Williams to force him to give it up).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #403
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Devin Harris. What is the fascination with this guy. He obviously is a project at best.

You want the young average guy...Nets you got him.

I think he's a bit better than average. His per 40 averages are 18.9ppg, 3.1rpg, and 6.9apg. He's also a solid defender and is still only 24 years old. Put him in an offense that gives him more responsibility and pushes the ball more than Dallas and his numbers will improve.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #404
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I think he's a bit better than average. His per 40 averages are 18.9ppg, 3.1rpg, and 6.9apg. He's also a solid defender and is still only 24 years old. Put him in an offense that gives him more responsibility and pushes the ball more than Dallas and his numbers will improve.

if he's so good then dallas doesn't deal him
Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #405
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Devan George blocks the trade. lol
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #406
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Harris has a better player efficiency rating then Kidd as well. This is a moronic deal for the Mavs.

Anyways, suns/Warriors are at 38-32 after the first, there's no defense here tonight.

Last edited by stevew : 02-13-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #407
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
if he's so good then dallas doesn't deal him

If Kidd had anything left the Nets wouldn't trade him and they'd be better than 28th in the NBA in scoring.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #408
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The storyline on the no-trade clause, is that NBA players on one-year deals who are veterans get automatic no-trade clauses.

Or more specifically:

Quote:
No Trade Clause: Much was made of Kobe Bryant's lone trade clause this summer, but it ends up he's not the only player in the league with that power. In fact it's the Los Angeles Lakers own Chris Mihm cannot be traded without his approval. There's a technical rule in which a player signed to a one-year deal by a team that has his Bird Rights is granted a trade veto.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-13-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #409
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
If Kidd had anything left the Nets wouldn't trade him and they'd be better than 28th in the NBA in scoring.

not true. it's vince carter's fault.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #410
miami_fan
Coordinator

Contract extension or buyout for Devan?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #411
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I don't think Mark Cuban wanted to make this deal. He knew George would probably veto it and knew that he had the right to do it, which is why they did it this way. That way, no one can say they didn't try to make a deal...but clearly, he didn't want to deal Harris in the first place.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #412
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I don't think Mark Cuban wanted to make this deal. He knew George would probably veto it and knew that he had the right to do it, which is why they did it this way. That way, no one can say they didn't try to make a deal...but clearly, he didn't want to deal Harris in the first place.

Good way to piss half your team off, in that case.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #413
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looking at it again, with a trade checker, the Nets probably didn't want to take on Trenton Hasell to get it done. The Mavericks probably knew that George would decline, but went ahead and submitted it anyways. Now that it's all out in public, the Nets are basically forced to take back Hasell if they want to save face and get the deal done. The Mavericks can claim there is nothing more they can do, "their hands are tied." If they dump Hassell on the Nets(2 more years at 4.3 per), it's a much worse deal for the Nets than merely taking on George.

The Mavs may have worked this right after all.

Last edited by stevew : 02-13-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #414
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Warriors/Suns...90-87 Suns after three....anyone who can't enjoy this game has a stick up their ass
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #415
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Warriors/Suns...90-87 Suns after three....anyone who can't enjoy this game has a stick up their ass

Seriously. I really like this Monta Ellis kid.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #416
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Karl, I would watch this game more except the local Fox cable affiliate FSN is getting the locals ready for pitchers-catchers reporting tomorrow--by replaying 2002 Game 6 in its entirety! This is fun. Want a PbP account? (I need the "evil" emoticon, that was just wrong...)

Seriously, though, I am switching back and forth.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #417
stevew
Hall Of Famer

ESPN360 is pretty cool.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #418
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hey,
In case it's been lost already, Devean FREAKING George blocked a trade.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #419
stevew
Hall Of Famer

George would run the risk of significantly hurting his 2008-9 earning potential if he does the trade. Right now, he probably has a decent chance of getting a new contract in the 2.5m range for next year. If he agrees to the trade, he almost has no chance of getting an offer above the minimum salary. It's not likely that someone will tap into their MLE(5.5m exception) to sign him to a contract. If he stays with the Mavs he might get folded into a trade this offseason and get a decent deal out of it, or at least get paid what he made this year.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #420
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
George would run the risk of significantly hurting his 2008-9 earning potential if he does the trade. Right now, he probably has a decent chance of getting a new contract in the 2.5m range for next year. If he agrees to the trade, he almost has no chance of getting an offer above the minimum salary. It's not likely that someone will tap into their MLE(5.5m exception) to sign him to a contract. If he stays with the Mavs he might get folded into a trade this offseason and get a decent deal out of it, or at least get paid what he made this year.

But HE asked to be traded earlier this season, if his playing time did not increase. He asked for a trade, traded to a team where he probably would get more playing time than he is now, and then HE blocks the trade.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #421
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Nice 0/11 night for George to boost that earning potential of his.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #422
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Devean George is gonna get paid boooyeeeee!

And then the trade will go through.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #423
JeeberD
General Manager

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #424
MrBug708
Head Coach

George hurting the Lakers again!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #425
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm trying to figure out who was less articulate in that video. The reporter or him. Ugh..
Old 02-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #426
miami_fan
Coordinator

http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/451041.html

Quote:
George said before Sunday's game against the Detroit Pistons that, if his role remains limited, he would like the chance to play elsewhere in hopes of increasing his stock as an unrestricted free agent after the season.

Here is your chance Devean
Old 02-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #427
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The Western Conference Playoffs are going to be great. Can't wait.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #428
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
But HE asked to be traded earlier this season, if his playing time did not increase. He asked for a trade, traded to a team where he probably would get more playing time than he is now, and then HE blocks the trade.

Eh, i don't pay that much attention to trade demands of bench scrubs.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #429
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Karl, I would watch this game more except the local Fox cable affiliate FSN is getting the locals ready for pitchers-catchers reporting tomorrow--by replaying 2002 Game 6 in its entirety! This is fun. Want a PbP account? (I need the "evil" emoticon, that was just wrong...)

Seriously, though, I am switching back and forth.

Oh...you sonofabitch...That cuts deep...reeeaal deep.

I still think about game 6 all the time. I had a fever of about 101, but I was standing pretty much the entire game. When the Giants were ahead 5-0 in the 7th I said "I almost hope the Angels score a few to make the 9th more interesting". I will never wish for anything like that ever again. I now hate monkeys, and anyone named troy, scott, or Felix.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 02-14-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #430
SnDvls
Pro Starter

So it looks like Stackhouse just screwed up the Kidd deal by flapping his mouth.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #431
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yep, from Yahoo:

Quote:
Jerry Stackhouse and the Dallas Mavericks may be in trouble, according to Yahoo! Sports columnist Adrian Wojnarowski, after Stackhouse revealed plans to be bought out of his contract with the Nets should the proposed trade for Jason Kidd go ahead and then return to Dallas as a free agent.

According to the report, several league sources said the NBA will consider forbidding Stackhouse to re-sign with the Mavericks this season as punishment for public comments the forward made on Wednesday that suggested tampering could have occurred.

Without Stackhouse coming back into the fold, some are questioning if Cuban would pull the trigger on the trade since he is losing so much depth. Stackhouse said that he was only part of the deal "to make the numbers work."

"I feel great," Stackhouse said. "I get 30 days to rest then I'll be right back. I ain't going nowhere."
Old 02-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #432
rkmsuf
Head Coach

what an idiot
Old 02-15-2008, 10:34 AM   #433
MikeVic
Head Coach

I hope some more messed up stuff happens in this trade. Maybe Kidd gets arrested?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #434
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I don't get the whole stackhouse thing either. It's a good thing the league is redflagging one of those wink wink deals.

Methinks Keith Van Horn is going to get paid a shitload of money to agree to be in this trade.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #435
miami_fan
Coordinator

LOL
Old 02-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #436
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't follow the NBA much but what a farce. It's an absolut joke that a player can block a trade and control the direction a franchise wants to go in. IMO the league is in real trouble when this sort of thing happens.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #437
Groundhog
Coordinator

well, this proved to be the greatest trade eva
Old 02-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #438
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I don't follow the NBA much but what a farce. It's an absolut joke that a player can block a trade and control the direction a franchise wants to go in. IMO the league is in real trouble when this sort of thing happens.

have you been watching the league that last decade? it sucks. this is far from its worse problem
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #439
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I firmly believe that neither Devean George nor any of the other 87 players had any clue that they even had this option in their contract, thus George's trade demands 10 days ago. I am sure that his agent told him after the fact or upon learning about the trade. The funny thing is right after he asked to be traded, his minutes jumped from near single digits to over 20+ per game. Probably just to show him off as trade bait. Without that increase in playing time, I don't think he blocks the trade. All this means is teams will be much less likely to sign a guy to consecutive one year contracts in the future. It will be very interesting to see how much money George "saves" himself if and when he signs his next contract with this move. It will also be interesting to see what his minutes look like after the deadline if this deal does not go down.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #440
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

His playing time only went up because Josh Howard is injured. If they want to showcase George they would be better off keeping him on the bench.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #441
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Does this go here or should it have its own thread?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7...PHCP&GT1=10937

Funniest thing to me is that they're wearing their outfits. Kinda like a ballplayer showing up as a DUI arrest on Cops--in his uniform, lol.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #442
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/spor...awks_0218.html

Quote:
New Orleans — Could a four-for-one deal completed Saturday finally net the Hawks the point guard they've coveted?

Hawks captain and All-Star Joe Johnson certainly hopes so.

The Hawks have agreed in principle to trade for Sacramento veteran Mike Bibby, sending veteran point guards Anthony Johnson and Tyronn Lue back to the Kings, along with second-year forward Shelden Williams and veteran center Lorenzen Wright.

The deal is expected to be finalized Saturday afternoon, a person familiar with the situation told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Officials from the Hawks, Kings and NBA will participate in a 4 p.m. conference call.

Bibby could join the Hawks in time for Tuesday's game against the Los Angeles Lakers, the first of five straight road games against Western Conference teams. The next night, the Hawks face the Kings in Sacramento.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #443
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, is there a single player of real value in that trade outside of Bibby? What a rip off. Three mediocre vets, more or less, and Williams, the only one with potential, and he hasn't done much with it.

I know Bibby ain't what he used to be either, but jeez, Kings shoulda gotten more. Maybe Bibby was a bad influence on the cheer squad and they had to move him.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #444
MrBug708
Head Coach

Maybe payroll relief? I can't see why the Kings would make this trade?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #445
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Bibby - 2 yrs/$13.5m

Lue - 1 yr/ $3.5m
Johnson - 1 yr/ $2.86m
Wright - 1 yr/ $3.25m
Williams - 2 yr/$3.174m
Old 02-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #446
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, what awful bullshit for a guy to take advantage of his contractually given rights and not get shipped to NJ. Do you realize how stupid your statement sounds?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #447
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Crapshoot...umm...I dont think Lathum was debating the contractual right but the fact that players are given the contractual right...I believe he was saying that the league should control the players and not the other way around...and I agree. I dont see why a bench player would be automatically given those rights.
nfg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #448
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Yeah, what awful bullshit for a guy to take advantage of his contractually given rights and not get shipped to NJ. Do you realize how stupid your statement sounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfg22 View Post
Crapshoot...umm...I dont think Lathum was debating the contractual right but the fact that players are given the contractual right...I believe he was saying that the league should control the players and not the other way around...and I agree. I dont see why a bench player would be automatically given those rights.

Exactly.

Lighten up Francis, is George your gay lover or something.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #449
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- Factor in that the league has also said it won't let Stackhouse resign with Dallas shows just how screwed up the league is. The fact that there are holes this huge in the leagues CBA shows why the NBA has turned into such a joke.

I used to be a big Nets fan, I loved them in the days of Colemen, Anderson and Petrovic. I followed them all the way through the good years with Kidd, but the league has become so obsolete it's a joke.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #450
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfg22 View Post
I dont see why a bench player would be automatically given those rights.

Presumably because the league & the players agreed to this oddity in collective bargaining?