Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #401
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post

Stick your rolling eyes where the sun don't shine. I was stating how perfect a game Florida played not complaining you asshat. read the whole post before tossing your oh-so-witty emoticons around.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:33 PM   #402
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
Well, the counter to that is that they did what no one else in this game did.. Beat the opponent matched up with them each and every week of this season. Who it was they played in contrast to someone else is of course a valid argument, but BSU ended the season as the ONLY unbeaten team in I-A and thus deserves major props. They also took down a so called BCS Powerhouse Program come Bowl Time, don't forget.. It wasn't as if they only had to beat Ball State or someone to win the Fiesta Bowl.

If you want to argue they should be at the top purely for being undefeated, that's fine...

But I get very irritated at the argument that they "did absolutely everything they could" to be the National Champions. It's just not true, because they could do a whole lot more with their schedule, but they don't.

They didn't do everything they could. They went undefeated which is a howl heck of a lot of what they could do, but it's not everything.

Keep in mind - I'm a mid-major fan through and through for basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #403
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Schedules are set 3-5 years in advance, before most of the current players were on the roster, so those players absolutely did everything they could this season.

If there wasn't a BCS system that is weighted towards the Big 6 conferences, my feeling is that Boise State would be regarded at the same level as the early 80's BYU teams from the WAC that won a National Title. No other non-BCS team is within 12 wins of them over the past 5 seasons.

These players may have done everything they could, but BSU as an organization did not. It's that simple. They had something like the 85th schedule in the nation.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #404
Warhammer
Pro Starter

This is a perfect example of why we need a playoff to me, or go back to the old system.

First, Florida won this game and kicked OSU's butt all over the field. They played a heck of a game, and this was one of the few times I saw Tressel out-coached.

But, the reason why they were there still bugs the daylights out of me. Why wasn't Wisconsin given a shot. Why doesn't OSU get another chance, after all OSU and Florida have the same record now. Why doesn't Boise State get a legitimate shot at the title game?

I know the answer to these questions. But that doesn't mean that they are right or that we should put up with this state of affairs. I really hope that the ratings for this game were down because that is the only way that things will change. They've screwed with the bowl schedule, so that all momentum from last week was killed. Heck, I didn't even realize that there were some bowl games over the weekend. Who's crazy idea was that?

What really gets me going though is that these rankings are supposed to be based upon this year only. A few years ago, Utah went undefeated and spanked everyone on their schedule. They go to their bowl game and whipped Pitt (I think that was their opponent), and then people said, "Well maybe they are the second best team in the nation." Lot of good it does that team at that point. They should have had a chance to win it all. Boise State should have that opportunity as well, but they will never get a chance because of the way the system is set up. No matter how many times they go undefeated, they are never going to get respect. Even if they go and play a major conference opponent on the road, and even though other major conference teams get blown out on the road, they will never get respect unless they win one of those games, and that is wrong.

The other problem I have with the system is the layoff. How great would this have been if the game would have been played in mid-December or late November. One of the problems I have with the whole bowl system how longs teams sit between the games. Granted, the teams should be prepared, but given how much time the teams have to practice, they can add a significant chunk to their playbook and completely catch the other team off guard. Sure, both teams can do that, but is that good for the game?

Something else that I wouldn't have an issue with is award the NC prior to the bowl games. Give the kids a chance to relax and enjoy the rewards of a hard fought season. You can still have the big games, but let them be exhibitions rather than what we have now.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #405
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Stick your rolling eyes where the sun don't shine. I was stating how perfect a game Florida played not complaining you asshat. read the whole post before tossing your oh-so-witty emoticons around.

Fwiw, that's not how your message read at all.

Quote:
Old 01-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #406
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Had the refs called the Oregon game correctly, Oklahoma probably would have been #3 in the BCS.

And still would have faced Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl, due to the Fiesta Bowl picking last this season in the BCS selection.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:37 PM   #407
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Well, I believe that the bottom line here Wade (and I think you'll agree) is that what happened for all of College Hoops last season with George Mason's epic Tourney Run will not ever happen in I-A Football until a similar full scale Playoff Championship Tournament is introduced.

Even under a Four Team Playoff Scenario which has been mentioned by some in the media, a team like this year's Boise State squad would not get a spot... And this is silly.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 01-08-2007 at 11:39 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #408
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... Boise State would be regarded at the same level as the early 80's BYU teams from the WAC that won a National Title.

I'm not so sure they aren't regarded at the same level as those early 80's BYU teams.

Difference is, there's a system in place that makes it more difficult for an undeserving team playing a schedule unworthy of national title consideration to make a joke of a national title.

BYU's '84 title run, completed by an inspiring 7 point win over 6-5 Michigan, is perhaps the best argument (other than $$$) for the existence of the BCS.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #409
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Boise State being able to beat Florida? That'd be like seeing some team from the CAA in the Final Four.

No way that'd ever happen.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #410
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
It sounded like you were being a whiny bitch.

My bad.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:41 PM   #411
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Well, I believe that the bottom line here Wade (and I think you'll agree) is that what happened for all of College Hoops last season with George Mason's epic Tourney Run will not ever happen in I-A Football until a similar full scale Playoff Championship Tournament is introduced.

Even under a Four Team Playoff Scenario which has been mentioned by some in the media, a team like this year's Boise State squad would not get a spot... And this is silly.

I completely agree that that is the only way that it happens. And as a die-hard fan of the CAA conference that GMU is a member of, I really know.

But that has nothing to do with the point I'm making. My point is that under the current system, BSU did not do everything they could to be in the National Title game. If they want a legitimate chance at the National Title under the current system, they better start calling some big name schools to schedule games or look at joining a better conference.

It's really quite simple.

Quote:
Old 01-08-2007, 11:45 PM   #412
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

By the way, OSU folks have to be frustrated at least a tad bit...

The only recent National Title for the Football Program was achieved on the back of a back psychopathic Running Back who is currently taking up residence in one of the Buckeye State's finest penal facilities.

Tonight was supposed to clean the memory of that mess a bit.... Not quite though.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:46 PM   #413
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm not so sure they aren't regarded at the same level as those early 80's BYU teams.

Difference is, there's a system in place that makes it more difficult for an undeserving team playing a schedule unworthy of national title consideration to make a joke of a national title.

BYU's '84 title run, completed by an inspiring 7 point win over 6-5 Michigan, is perhaps the best argument (other than $$$) for the existence of the BCS.

Yeah, a system like we have now, that is slanted in favor of 1 and 2 loss teams from so-called power conferences is much, much better.

One egregious example of inequity, hardly seems to pale in comparison to the injustice we see year in and year out in modern college football. The BCS is just a halfhearted attempt to shut teams in so-called minor conferences up, by slicing the pie a little more to give them some and yet, you can dress up a lie in a tie and a suit and it's still a lie.

The BCS sucks and tonight game proved it. Not to say that Boise State would or would not have a prayer of winning a national title. After all, I watched them play here in Laramie and if it weren't for a generous spot late in the fourth quarter in a game which led to a score that wasn't televised, they lose to Wyoming (because they were outplayed) and no one watches them do what they did a week ago.

But all the money being thrown around but fails to trickle down to these student-athletes, just justifies a flawed system that too many of us seem strangely comfortable with.

I'm so looking forward to the eventual schism that will result in paid student athletes in revenue-generating sports, who can stop making a sham of what obviously isn't anything close to an industry with a decent shred of any integrity left.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #414
molson
General Manager

I don't know where we place Boise St. in all of this, but the bowl season has certainly emphatically settled the Michigan/Florida debate.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:48 PM   #415
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
But that has nothing to do with the point I'm making. My point is that under the current system, BSU did not do everything they could to be in the National Title game. If they want a legitimate chance at the National Title under the current system, they better start calling some big name schools to schedule games or look at joining a better conference.

It sounds simple, but is it? 5 years ago, it would sound like a good thing to improve your strength of schedule to put Miami, Florida State, Iowa, Oregon St., Oregon, etc. on your schedule. Based on their performances this past season, not so much. The ebb and flow in college football is so great, you can't count on a team being at a certain level when you schedule them. I'm sure there are a few schools that counted on Rutgers and Wake Forest being sure wins when they scheduled them, and are now sweating it a bit.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:49 PM   #416
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I completely agree that that is the only way that it happens. And as a die-hard fan of the CAA conference that GMU is a member of, I really know.

I wish they'd join the Mountain West. It'd be a step up at least and the conference only has 9 teams. I don't think they want to leave the WAC, though. Why would you, when you can win as many games as they do. Of course, like you point out...the rub is, when this debate comes up, they really have no argument.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:49 PM   #417
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Wade, even if Boise scheduled say UCLA, Georgia and Louisville in Non-Conference Play this season and beat all of them, their Conference Games would've taken them down enough in the SOS index to drop below spot number two in the BCS Rankings, thus taking them out of Title Game participation..

As for conferences, where can they go? The MWC is about the best they can hope for... The Pac-10 would never take this school under any circumstances, and there are no other western conferences.. As for the MWC, I see it as only a tad bit better than the WAC, but certainly not enough of a leap to overtake a Florida type program in the BCS Rankings.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:52 PM   #418
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
It sounds simple, but is it? 5 years ago, it would sound like a good thing to improve your strength of schedule to put Miami, Florida State, Iowa, Oregon St., Oregon, etc. on your schedule. Based on their performances this past season, not so much. The ebb and flow in college football is so great, you can't count on a team being at a certain level when you schedule them. I'm sure there are a few schools that counted on Rutgers and Wake Forest being sure wins when they scheduled them, and are now sweating it a bit.

e.g. I wonder how Notre Dame feels about the games they'll start playing against the Scarlet Knights in 2010 and beyond. The Big Red Machine ought to be really together by then, provided Schiano doesn't leave to go replace JoPa at Penn State.

But I hope he's a smarter guy than that. You don't take a job like that, do the stuff he's managed to do and leave where you'll replace a legend. Not when you basically have entrenched yourself for life.

He can become the Bear Bryant or the JoPa of Rutgers football in a market that's starved for a team to shut all the people below the Mason-Dixon line up about how great their teams are, despite all the northern kids who defect to play for them.

Of course, Rutgers is basically North Miami State University with all those Florida kids on the roster.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:54 PM   #419
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Wade, even if Boise scheduled say UCLA, Georgia and Louisville in Non-Conference Play this season and beat all of them, their Conference Games would've taken them down enough in the SOS index to drop below spot number two in the BCS Rankings, thus taking them out of Title Game participation..

As for conferences, where can they go? The MWC is about the best they can hope for... The Pac-10 would never take this school under any circumstances, and there are no other western conferences.. As for the MWC, I see it as only a tad bit better than the WAC, but certainly not enough of a leap to overtake a Florida type program in the BCS Rankings.

Well no. But if they went undefeated in the MWC, that'd be a hell of a difference than going undefeated in the WAC. I mean, it didn't do much for Utah obviously, but...at least Boise State has a pedigree and beat a better team that Utah did when they got their shot.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:58 PM   #420
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

That's all a fine and good argument. And if BSU had some teams on their schedule that were good when theys cheduled them and now are in a down year, I'd see your argument.

Quote:
DATEOPPONENTRESULT/TIME
08/31Sac StW 45-0
09/07Oregon StW 42-14
09/16at WyomingW 17-10
09/23HawaiiW 41-34
09/30at UtahW 36-3
10/07La TechW 55-14
10/15at New Mexico StW 40-28
10/21at IdahoW 42-26
11/01Fresno StW 45-21
11/11at San Jose StW 23-20
11/18Utah StW 49-10
11/25at NevadaW 38-7

Oregon St. is the closest you can come to a team that has any significant historical success. The rest of their OOC teams are traditionally not ranked in the top 25.

I hear this argument used, and it just can't be applied to BSU's situation. Make an effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I wish they'd join the Mountain West. It'd be a step up at least and the conference only has 9 teams. I don't think they want to leave the WAC, though. Why would you, when you can win as many games as they do. Of course, like you point out...the rub is, when this debate comes up, they really have no argument.
Thank you for making my point for me .

Quote:

If Boise St. goes undefeated beating UCLA, UGA, and Louisville they get a LOT more love from the voters. Is it enough to get them in the National Title? Idano, maybe, maybe not... but I (and a lot of others) would at least have some sympathy for them - as it is, I think it's really hard unless you're just really rooting for a playoff or a small-conference proponent that just wants your team to have a chance if they happen to have a good year and beat all of the other patsies in your conference.

Quote:

Last edited by wade moore : 01-08-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #421
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Wade, even if Boise scheduled say UCLA, Georgia and Louisville in Non-Conference Play this season and beat all of them, their Conference Games would've taken them down enough in the SOS index to drop below spot number two in the BCS Rankings, thus taking them out of Title Game participation...
Don't be so hasty there. I went over to the Colley rankings (a BCS component) and removed the wins over Sacramento State, Wyoming & Utah and added wins over UCLA, Georgia & Louisville. Their CPU ranking in that poll moved from #5 to #2. It appears that, if they played a tougher OOC schedule, they could have possibly made the championship game.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:01 AM   #422
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Don't be so hasty there. I went over to the Colley rankings (a BCS component) and removed the wins over Sacramento State, Wyoming & Utah and added wins over UCLA, Georgia & Louisville. Their CPU ranking in that poll moved from #5 to #2. It appears that, if they played a tougher OOC schedule, they could have possibly made the championship game.

Wow, cool... didn't know there was a site where you could do that.

So, like I said, it might give them their shot - especially because you have to consider they get a lot more love from the voters at that point.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2007, 12:01 AM   #423
molson
General Manager

Quote:

The BCS sucks and tonight game proved it. Not to say that Boise State would or would not have a prayer of winning a national title. After all, I watched them play here in Laramie and if it weren't for a generous spot late in the fourth quarter in a game which led to a score that wasn't televised, they lose to Wyoming (because they were outplayed) and no one watches them do what they did a week ago.

I think you're confusing your games - Boise St. didn't even score in the second half against Wyoming. They took an early lead and held on. It was an ugly game, but Boise had no tainted wins this year.

Last edited by molson : 01-09-2007 at 12:02 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:01 AM   #424
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well, and it is a bit unfair to tell a team that in order to qualify they have to give up their traditional rivalries (ie, Idaho) and join another conference. Though how much better is the MWC compared to the WAC? The MWC has BYU, TCU, Utah. But the WAC has Hawaii, Nevada, San Jose State, and Fresno State (had a down year).
Old 01-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #425
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well, and it is a bit unfair to tell a team that in order to qualify they have to give up their traditional rivalries (ie, Idaho) and join another conference. Though how much better is the MWC compared to the WAC? The MWC has BYU, TCU, Utah. But the WAC has Hawaii, Nevada, San Jose State, and Fresno State (had a down year).

FWIW, I'm not claiming it's fair.. but I am claiming that BSU knows the system they are in and what it takes to get to the National Title Game.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #426
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think you're confusing your games - Boise St. didn't even score in the second half against Wyoming. They took an early lead and held on. It was an ugly game, but Boise had no tainted wins this year.

It wasn't tainted, they just didn't play very well. We threw a pick in the 4th quarter -- our QBs love to do that, no matter the year -- which killed a late rally. Luckily, that led to the freshman phenom we had now getting put in and led to a lot of wins later in the season...so it's ok.

I'm glad Boise State won, if only to make the college football bowl season more interesting, but...they didn't come to Laramie and convince me that they were one of the Top 10 teams in the country that day. But maybe it was the altitude.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:08 AM   #427
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Well, and it is a bit unfair to tell a team that in order to qualify they have to give up their traditional rivalries (ie, Idaho) and join another conference.
FWIW, that's what VT had to do to start competing on a national level. Our stint in the Big East gave us yearly matchups against all new teams (aside from WVU).
Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #428
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

dola - If we were still playing our traditional rivals, we'd be Div III.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/...ia+Tech&sort=g
Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #429
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

By the way, looking through the progressions of Regular Season College Football Results... Florida lost to Auburn who lost to Georgia who lost to Vandy, etc.... , you eventually find yourself with Division II Powerhouse Chadron State at the end of the puzzle. Was CSC the best team in College Football? Do the actual real results lie?

The BCS Sucks!! Bring on a Full Scale Tournament. 24 or 32 Teams.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #430
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Air Force is usually pretty good too. All of the MWC teams are former WAC schools and are the only reason BSU got to move up and join the WAC is because the MWC split (dumb move, IMHO)...anyway, they can still play Idaho as a non-conference game each year and still have room for a game against a decent opponent, which should be a lot easier to schedule after their win against Oklahoma.

Bailing on a crappy non-conference opponent has been happening a lot lately because of the 12th game being added, so...I don't see any reason they can't get it done.

Hell, even UW managed to schedule UVa. and Syracuse this past year and the UVA game was just supposed to be a road trip for us and that's it, but after we took them to overtime (we lost because our kicker missed an extra point in overtime.) and played them tough, they agreed to come to Laramie next fall.

And that's not saying they're UGA or anything, but...it's a hell of a step up from Sacramento State.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #431
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
dola - If we were still playing our traditional rivals, we'd be Div III.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/...ia+Tech&sort=g

And Rutgers would be beating up on Princeton and maybe the mighty hawks of Monmouth University.

Which a few years ago, most folks preferred they go ahead and do.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #432
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
FWIW, I'm not claiming it's fair.. but I am claiming that BSU knows the system they are in and what it takes to get to the National Title Game.

Of course the question then becomes which conference can they possibly join. As I pointed out, I'm not sure the MWC is all that much better. Maybe if they cut the MWC and WAC in half and put the historically better teams in each conference with each other and the crap teams with the crap teams in the conference with each other (Sun Belt II ) maybe they could have something... but I don't think that's going to happen.

In addition, I'm not sure the Pac 10 will be willing to go to 11.

So what else can they do?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:17 AM   #433
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And Rutgers would be beating up on Princeton and maybe the mighty hawks of Monmouth University.

Which a few years ago, most folks preferred they go ahead and do.

Rutgers could STILL play Princeton if they wanted to... they did schedule a 1-AA school this year (Howard). But they choose not to. I don't think Rutgers and Princeton have played each other in a long while.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:19 AM   #434
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Of course the question then becomes which conference can they possibly join. As I pointed out, I'm not sure the MWC is all that much better. Maybe if they cut the MWC and WAC in half and put the historically better teams in each conference with each other and the crap teams with the crap teams in the conference with each other (Sun Belt II ) maybe they could have something... but I don't think that's going to happen.

Schedule quality BCS teams.

Look at the information posted above about how their computer poll would be improved if they beat Louisville, UGA, and UCLA. Two of these teams weren't even ranked at the end of the season, so we're not saying they need to schedule 2 or 3 top 10 teams. If they win these games, they get a ton more respect from the pollsters. Particularly if they are winning games year in and year out.

But instead they bank on winning all or most of their crap schedule. They really can't complain that when they do beat them all, that they don't get their shot.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2007, 12:22 AM   #435
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Rutgers could STILL play Princeton if they wanted to... they did schedule a 1-AA school this year (Howard). But they choose not to. I don't think Rutgers and Princeton have played each other in a long while.

They haven't played their rivals Columbia or Princeton since 1980.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:27 AM   #436
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Schedule quality BCS teams.

Look at the information posted above about how their computer poll would be improved if they beat Louisville, UGA, and UCLA. Two of these teams weren't even ranked at the end of the season, so we're not saying they need to schedule 2 or 3 top 10 teams. If they win these games, they get a ton more respect from the pollsters. Particularly if they are winning games year in and year out.

But instead they bank on winning all or most of their crap schedule. They really can't complain that when they do beat them all, that they don't get their shot.

Er... and how many BCS conference teams do you really think want to schedule Boise State as an OOC team? I remember an article a few months back on LOUISVILLE having problems scheduling future OOC opponents (back when people were yelling at Louisville to schedule better OOC games).

It's not like Boise hasn't been trying.

I mean, really, when teams like Florida play Western Carolina as an OOC game (and do it merely for the easy win), how are potential winners like Boise going to crack that? Georgia did it last year and Oregon State the past couple years (home and home), but they don't get many nibbles.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #437
Huckleberry
College Starter

wade -

Boise State has made the effort to schedule multiple BCS teams. As you can imagine, it's a no-win situation for the bigger schools so they get few takers.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:31 AM   #438
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Er... and how many BCS conference teams do you really think want to schedule Boise State as an OOC team? I remember an article a few months back on LOUISVILLE having problems scheduling future OOC opponents (back when people were yelling at Louisville to schedule better OOC games).

It's not like Boise hasn't been trying.

I mean, really, when teams like Florida play Western Carolina as an OOC game (and do it merely for the easy win), how are potential winners like Boise going to crack that? Georgia did it last year and Oregon State the past couple years (home and home), but they don't get many nibbles.

When I read that BSU is having trouble scheduling BCS teams and that's why they're not doing it, I'll be mroe on your side.

But I've seen nothing of the sort so far. They seem very content in their little bubble imo.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2007, 12:33 AM   #439
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

The problem is, you couldn't really do that. UNLV would be left out, since they're not particularly good at football..but they do show up in men's basketball (I dunno about other sports..) and well, that'd be a decent sized loss.

But going with it.

BYU (MWC)
Utah (MWC)
TCU (MWC)
Boise State (WAC)
Hawaii (WAC)
San Jose State (WAC)
Fresno State (WAC)
Colorado State (MWC)
Wyoming (MWC)
Air Force (MWC)

"Bad"
Idaho
Nevada
UNLV
New Mexico
New Mexico State
Utah State
Louisiana Tech
San Diego State

That other conference could invite Denver to join for basketball, since they're in the Sun Belt or perhaps just merge with the Sun Belt to become some of Conference USA South/West or something.

In any case, it all looks pretty ugly to me. The MWC launched its TV network this year, but it gets to one less home than the NFL network, as it turns out.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 AM   #440
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

You know what? I forgot this game was last night. With the holidays being over, work being a total distraction, and almost all the discussion yesterday being on Pro-Football, it totally slipped my mind last night. Congrats to the hated Gators. Glad you're win is making the play-off arguement even more valid.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:43 AM   #441
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Georgia did it last year.
...and beat them like upstarts should be beaten. Oklahoma sorely disappointed me.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:26 AM   #442
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Glad your win is making the play-off argument even more hollow.

Fixed that for you.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:28 AM   #443
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Fixed that for you.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:28 AM   #444
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Speed coach?

I always heard you couldn't teach speed
Max Howell, is that you?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:29 AM   #445
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
The Big Ten hurt themselves in two ways. If that Michigan vs Ohio State game happens a few weeks later, Florida doesn't jump Michigan because the poll after the UM/tOSU game had UM #2. Two weeks and games later Florida jumps UM.
I'm just disappointed that we were all robbed of seeing a rematch of Ohio State vs. Michigan for the title...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:32 AM   #446
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
... throughout the season, the Florida offense wasn't such an unstoppable juggernaut...

They blew out the patsies, but generally, you're right.

Date Opponent* Result Record
Sept. 2, 2006Southern Miss.W34-71-0
Sept. 9, 2006UCFW42-02-0
Sept. 16, 2006at TennesseeW21-203-0 (1-0)
Sept. 23, 2006KentuckyW26-74-0 (2-0)
Sept. 30, 2006AlabamaW28-135-0 (3-0)
Oct. 7, 2006LSUW23-106-0 (4-0)
Oct. 14, 2006at AuburnL27-176-1 (4-1)
Oct. 28, 2006at Georgia1 (CBS)W21-147-1 (5-1)
Nov. 4, 2006at Vanderbilt (LF Sports)W25-198-1 (6-1)
Nov. 11, 2006South CarolinaW17-169-1 (7-1)
Nov. 18, 2006Western CarolinaW62-010-1
Nov. 25, 2006at Florida StateW21-1411-1
Dec. 2, 2006Arkansas2W38-2812-1 (8-1)
Jan. 8, 2007at Ohio State3W41-1413-1
Old 01-09-2007, 06:50 AM   #447
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Totally forgot this game was yesterday, and im pretty sure i could have found a bar here in Kyoto to watch it at early this morning. Incredibly impressive result for Florida.. i don't see how Urban Meyer's stock can rise any higher in college football.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 01-09-2007 at 06:52 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:08 AM   #448
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Not that it had anything to do with the result of the game, since we sucked, but is it just me or did the refs seem lost most of the game. There were too huge bad spots, and for some reason neither was even reviewed. 1) Dallas Baker's 3rd down catch, should've been about a yard short of the first down. 2) When OSU went for it on 4 and 1, Wells looked to have made it and then he was pushed back.

Next year could be painful with Pittman, Smith, Ginn and Gonzo all gone.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:09 AM   #449
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, that was fun. I was surprised at how easy it was to root for UF. I'm also surprised at how little I've heard about the fact that this game was more about the limitations of the Big Ten style than any crap about "rest" or whatever other excuses people can come up with. The fact of the matter is, the Big Ten is full of a bunch of teams that run conventional offenses and rely on defenses built to stop teams that look just like them. They aren't particularly fast. They can't handle speed coupled with an unusual offensive scheme. And then you throw in the obvious talent factor, and this was an easy outcome to see.

I'm not saying I would have predicted a blowout - if you asked me before the game how many times each team would win if they played 10 games, I probably would have given each team 5. If, on the other hand, you asked me which team would have the better chance of winning a blowout, I would have said UF 8 to 2.

In the end, I'm glad Jim Tressel got what he asked for by weaseling out of voting for Michigan to be #2. He would have been far better served to play a team he could match up with than a team that was essentially from another planet. All you have to do is look at the most unconvential Big Ten team of the past few years that I can remember - Northwestern - and see that they gave teams trouble with their offense. They might not have had the D or the talent level to truly compete, but they gave teams fits with a wide-open offense.

The Big Ten would be well-served to bring a couple of those type of coaches into the league so that they can get used to it. Penn State and Wisconsin beat SEC teams, but they did it solely with defense. Neither team did anything on offense. You take that type of vanilla offensive (even one as talented as OSU's), and throw its defense up against UF's crazy offensive scheme, their speed/talent, and their great coaching to take advantage of OSU's defensive scheme (did Leak throw the ball beyond 5 yards even once last night?), and we should have recognized this as a nightmare matchup from the start. This was no different than the BSU/OU game. If BSU had run the table in its conference, but done it in a conventional way, OU would have been able to deal with it and probably beat them pretty soundly. But they got beat by an offensive scheme they hadn't seen before and great coaching for the team to pull off the execution damn near perfectly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:20 AM   #450
cougarfreak
College Starter

Man...........it's a good thing Ohio State didn't play Boise St., Louisville, or USC last night. Any of those teams would have doubled Florida's score and held down that overrated Suckeye offense.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote