Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2006, 07:18 AM   #401
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And McCain is a RINO as any respectable conservative knows, no matter what anyone tells them.
Because he's a big opponent of cutting taxes? I would think - of the 49 GOP senators left - there are at least 5-10 of them plenty more liberal than John McCain.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:33 AM   #402
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And conservatives would consider them to be RINO's too . Remember, I'm from NJ, the battle between 'conservatives' and 'RINOs' has been going on for a while up there, with Christie Whitman being the biggest RINO to the conservative crowd.

I believe on McCain, its because of campaign finance, willingness to work with the other side on a number of issues, and, recently, torture stuff. Otherwise he's pretty conservative, but, after 2000, you won't be able to convince other conservatives of that.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:34 AM   #403
Butter
Coordinator

What's a RINO?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:36 AM   #404
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Otherwise he's pretty conservative, but, after 2000, you won't be able to convince other conservatives of that.

2000? Hell, his credibility was shot in the past year or two along, never mind anything from 2000.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:38 AM   #405
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
2000? Hell, his credibility was shot in the past year or two along, never mind anything from 2000.

Well he would need to have any credibility from conservatives to have it 'shot in the past year or two'. That credibility with conservatives was gone in 2000.

And, Butter, RINO = Republican In Name Only.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:38 AM   #406
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
What's a RINO?

RINO = Republican In Name Only
Old 11-09-2006, 07:43 AM   #407
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
Where are the pundits to do this? Who do the Dems have to get this message across? The Repubs have Rush (and his ilk) and Fox News to give the impression that McCain is conservative.

From what I've heard, Limbaugh is no McCain fan.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #408
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't think so. The public has a very short memory. If the pundits keep repeating that McCain is conservative enough, it'll stick.

And yet Republicans say that Gore could never run again because he challenged the 2000 election. Is it a short or long-term memory?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #409
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
And yet Republicans say that Gore could never run again because he challenged the 2000 election. Is it a short or long-term memory?

I don't think Gore could run again, but I don't think it has anything to do with challenging the 2000 results. His main problem is that his personality works against him too much.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #410
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I believe on McCain, its because of campaign finance, willingness to work with the other side on a number of issues, and, recently, torture stuff.

I find it rather telling that these are considered negatives in the Republican party.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #411
SFL Cat
College Starter

In addition to Gore, I think Kerry killed any chance he had in '08 with his "kids who don't do well in school end up in Iraq," comment.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #412
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Basically, I would say given 2 years, basically an unlimited fortune, and the bullypulpit of a senate majority, Hillary could (and I only say could) convince independents she's a moderate.

You may be right. I haven't really followed her voting record so I can't say if she's been more of a moderate or not, I just know that growing up in a conservative family, anything with the name of Clinton was synonymous with the devil.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #413
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
In addition to Gore, I think Kerry killed any chance he had in '08 with his "kids who don't do well in school end up in Iraq," comment.

I think Kerry did Dems a favor by that slip up. Anything to keep him out of running again.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:08 AM   #414
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if anyone else shares this view, but for me you get one chance to prove you can win. Gore and Kerry can't get my support as presidential candidates because they are proven losers.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:06 PM   #415
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't know if anyone else shares this view, but for me you get one chance to prove you can win. Gore and Kerry can't get my support as presidential candidates because they are proven losers.

Just ask Grover Cleveland.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #416
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
You may be right. I haven't really followed her voting record so I can't say if she's been more of a moderate or not, I just know that growing up in a conservative family, anything with the name of Clinton was synonymous with the devil.

Her voting record is very moderate, actually. There are a lot more Dems that have voted left of her. But, yes there will be no convincing conservatives of this, but maybe independents given enough time and money.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #417
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Just ask Grover Cleveland.

Or Richard Nixon.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #418
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:

Of course, that is a total misquote. But the furor didn't help.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #419
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Gore and Kerry can't get my support as presidential candidates because they are proven losers.

Never mind that Gore won the popular vote.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:41 PM   #420
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Hillary's voting record is to Dems as McCain's is to Republicans. They are probably closer to each other than they are to the extremes of either of their parties.

The difference is that the Democrats are not divided. Democrats don't care whether it's a liberal or moderate Democrat, so long as its a Democrat. Being out of power will do that. In much of the country, there is a splintering of the Republican Party between the moderates and the Evangelical Right (I wouldn't even call it Religious Right). The problem the Republicans had in a lot of red states Tuesday (my neighbor Kansas is a prime example) is that candidates who are conservative enough to make it through a primary are too conservative to win a general.

Early polls have show McCain and Guliani with healthy leads against prospective Democrats -- although CNN's polls this week against Hillary showed a dead heat. Those two have almost no chance of making it through the primary process. I don't know who it will be -- I might said George Allen two months ago -- but somebody will become the darling of the Evangelical Right and that person will get the nomination. Right now, I'd put my money on Frist or Romney -- Sam Brownback could be a darkhorse. Nobody knows him and he has no money, but he's just right of Atilla the Hun and will get some serious love from the far right.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #421
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Never mind that Gore won the popular vote.

Luckily that doesn't mean anything.

edit: Oops, did my hatred of Gore come out....let me tuck that back in.

Last edited by Bee : 11-09-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #422
kcchief19
Pro Starter

As an aside, I think '08 would be setup perfectly for the formation of a major independent third party. If McCain, Guliani and/or Lieberman got together and said that the two major parties are out of touch with mainstream America and ran as a third party, I think we could see some major chaos. I think a McCain/Lieberman ticket could not only be a spoiler, it could win the whole darn thing. And with voltage like that, they could actually get some established politicians to join their ranks and ran for Congress on a third party platform.

The logistics would be insane to make it work, but if McCain, Guiliani and Lieberman wanted to stick it to the establishment that have and will stick it to them, this is the way to go. Of course, having nothing more than a ruling plurality in Congress would bring all legislation to a halt, but I think that would be a good thing.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #423
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
As an aside, I think '08 would be setup perfectly for the formation of a major independent third party. If McCain, Guliani and/or Lieberman got together and said that the two major parties are out of touch with mainstream America and ran as a third party, I think we could see some major chaos. I think a McCain/Lieberman ticket could not only be a spoiler, it could win the whole darn thing. And with voltage like that, they could actually get some established politicians to join their ranks and ran for Congress on a third party platform.

The logistics would be insane to make it work, but if McCain, Guiliani and Lieberman wanted to stick it to the establishment that have and will stick it to them, this is the way to go. Of course, having nothing more than a ruling plurality in Congress would bring all legislation to a halt, but I think that would be a good thing.

That would be a huge risk for them, but it would definitely be interesting to see the fallout from such a move.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #424
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Hillary's voting record is to Dems as McCain's is to Republicans. They are probably closer to each other than they are to the extremes of either of their parties.

How about a McCain/Hillary ticket in '08 then? The Dems have their candidate and moderate Repubs have theirs. Anything to screw with the extreme right.

I kind of wish we would go back to the days when the second vote getter became VP.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #425
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

It's a good idea, but I don't see how they could get the resources to do it. They would need to find a ton of money in the next two years.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #426
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It would be strange for a "Moderate Party" to run as a response to an election wherein the common perception is that the moderates were able to make their voices heard through the two party system.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #427
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

McCain is spending far too much time courting the evangelicals to be thinking third party.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #428
-Mojo Jojo-
High School Varsity

Quote:
McCain is spending far too much time courting the evangelicals to be thinking third party.

Agreed. He could have pulled off a third party move in 2000 or 2004. I doubt it now. He's spent the past year marrying himself to evangelicals and burning off most of his liberal support base.
-Mojo Jojo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #429
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

There's a line of thinking that New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg will be running as a third party candidate in '08. He's got scads of cash, he's been travelling around the country a lot lately, he's got a couple of pet issues (gun control being one of them) that can get him some face time, and now that Schumer, Rangel, and Slaughter will all be fairly powerful in the majority party in Congress, he can try and use them to get some pet legislation passed.

I think Bloomberg will only run if he's convinced he can peel away enough support to actually have a chance of winning. I don't think he'll run as a spoiler, but his ego might well push him to run when he doesn't have a chance in hell of getting elected.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #430
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
There's a line of thinking that New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg will be running as a third party candidate in '08. He's got scads of cash, he's been travelling around the country a lot lately, he's got a couple of pet issues (gun control being one of them) that can get him some face time, and now that Schumer, Rangel, and Slaughter will all be fairly powerful in the majority party in Congress, he can try and use them to get some pet legislation passed.

I think Bloomberg will only run if he's convinced he can peel away enough support to actually have a chance of winning. I don't think he'll run as a spoiler, but his ego might well push him to run when he doesn't have a chance in hell of getting elected.

Cam, did you read Derb's piece on that over at NR (I keep seeing your name mentioned there ) on this subject ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #431
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Does Bloomberg have any support outside of NYC? It seems like a terrible idea if you ask me.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #432
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Cam, did you read Derb's piece on that over at NR (I keep seeing your name mentioned there ) on this subject ?

Any links?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #433
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Any links?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #434
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:

If you're talking about Derb's piece in September, I remember reading some of it back then. Actually the head of the NY State Rifle and Pistol Association was the first guy I'd heard talking about Bloomberg running for president, and that was almost a year ago.

As to whether or not Bloomberg has any support outside of NYC... not much right now. But he's been able to get 109 mayors to sign on to his gun control group by promising to only go after criminal possession of firearms (though that's not exactly the legislation he's backing). He's also done a good job of reaching out to people like the Governator. And someone in NY did a nationwide poll asking people what they thought of Bloomberg, describing him in glowing terms. I think somewhere around 65% of those responding said they'd consider voting for someone like him.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #435
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry Galaxy - can't find one quickly.

I was referring to the one in September - when he described the conservative horror of having to vote between Hillary, McCain, and Bloomberg.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:36 AM   #436
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:

Interesting note ... Bloomberg sent five staffers to work for the McCaskill campaign during the final week here in Missouri. The official story was that stem cells are an important issue to him and he was working to support pro-stem cell research candidates nationwide. While I have no reason to doubt his altruism, his a politican who just bought himself some political capital. He's got to be planning to do something with it.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:58 AM   #437
famatu
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Her voting record is very moderate, actually. There are a lot more Dems that have voted left of her. But, yes there will be no convincing conservatives of this, but maybe independents given enough time and money.

Independents are conservatives without a party. There is no conseravtive party in America. There is the liberal party (Republican) and the socialist party (democrat). The term "moderate" is not something that is appealing to a true independent. Moderate = has no opinion and goes with popular opinions of everyone else. Moderate = will simply "give in" on things they believe so they are popular with their opponent. Moderate = putang!
For the deaths of thousands of people, I scream. For having to explain horrific pictures to children, I scream. For dancing Palestinians in the streets, I scream. For long lines at airports, and stupid-assed corporate policies, I scream.
Then I laugh because I remember I have something that our enemies don't have: Freedom.
famatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:02 AM   #438
famatu
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Mojo Jojo- View Post
Agreed. He could have pulled off a third party move in 2000 or 2004. I doubt it now. He's spent the past year marrying himself to evangelicals and burning off most of his liberal support base.

Anyone who has a "liberal support base" will NEVER get the votes of a conservative voter. Are you nuts?
For the deaths of thousands of people, I scream. For having to explain horrific pictures to children, I scream. For dancing Palestinians in the streets, I scream. For long lines at airports, and stupid-assed corporate policies, I scream.
Then I laugh because I remember I have something that our enemies don't have: Freedom.
famatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:07 AM   #439
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by famatu View Post
Independents are conservatives without a party. There is no conseravtive party in America. There is the liberal party (Republican) and the socialist party (democrat). The term "moderate" is not something that is appealing to a true independent. Moderate = has no opinion and goes with popular opinions of everyone else. Moderate = will simply "give in" on things they believe so they are popular with their opponent. Moderate = putang!

LOL!

It's funny because any other Western Democracy would say that there is no liberal party in the US. You have the far right party (Republicans) and the moderate right party (Democrats). Our Democrats are probably more to the right than most of the right wing parties overseas. Not saying I agree, but it is funny seeing someone say the opposite.

And true independants like moderate policies (it's why both parties court them). Hate to break it to you. Moderates are tired of the extremes bickering and want common sense solutions to things, not ideological masturbation on both sides of the asile.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:36 AM   #440
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Yup. Very true. Most American Democrats are to the right of Canada's Conservative Party. And they are all well right of all the other parties in Canada.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:38 AM   #441
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:

Actually, this is a more apt description:

social conservative = intolerant (the minority)
moderate = tolerant (the majority)
Old 11-10-2006, 01:50 AM   #442
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
From what I've heard, Limbaugh is no McCain fan.

I was stunned back in 2000 at how Rush and company villified McCain. It was unbelievable. I just don't see how they, radio conservatives, would warm to him now or in 2008. Even if he would be a slam dunk in a general election. They feel about McCain the same way whacko libs feel about Lieberman. One of my whacko lib friends even feels that McCain is too far right now, to sweep through a general election. My response: I'd bet my house that McCain wins CA in a general presidential election. The Dems simply don't have a play in their book that counters that. Too bad McCain won't make it through a primary to prove it.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:14 AM   #443
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I was stunned back in 2000 at how Rush and company villified McCain. It was unbelievable. I just don't see how they, radio conservatives, would warm to him now or in 2008. Even if he would be a slam dunk in a general election. They feel about McCain the same way whacko libs feel about Lieberman. One of my whacko lib friends even feels that McCain is too far right now, to sweep through a general election. My response: I'd bet my house that McCain wins CA in a general presidential election. The Dems simply don't have a play in their book that counters that. Too bad McCain won't make it through a primary to prove it.

...because his wife is a drug addict? Or they adopted an african-american baby? I forgot which piece of shit attack was thrown at him by Rove.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #444
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post

The South Carolina push poll was one of the most despicable political tactics I've seen - up there with the James Byrd ad run by some Dem committee ("Bush lynched my father") and then some.

McCain's actually really hurt by Guliani - the law and order Reps and the mods love Guliani far more, and he gets a free pass for his social views because of NYC. Romney is undergoing a transformation to the "conservative" candidate (or as I like to call him, the hypocritical bastard), and might well win this from the right.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #445
-Mojo Jojo-
High School Varsity

Quote:
Anyone who has a "liberal support base" will NEVER get the votes of a conservative voter. Are you nuts?

Say what? That's why he would have been a good third party candidate. Reading comprehension these days...
-Mojo Jojo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #446
AlexB
Pro Starter

Did GWB really say...

'I thought we were doing OK, until yesterday.... Shows what I know'.

Seriously? No, come on. Seriously?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #447
Galaxy
Coordinator

Personally,

I like Bloomberg. I would vote for him. I've also a fan of Romney.

With the Iowa governor annoucing he's running, looks like McCain is looking at making up his mind soon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15658782/

When is the filing date for the race?

With McCain, his age is a concern. With Bloomberg and McCain, will VP be key?

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-10-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #448
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Personally,

I like Bloomberg. I would vote for him.

With the Iowa governor annoucing he's running, looks like McCain is looking at making up his mind soon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15658782/

When is the filing date for the race?

Just out of curiousity, why do you like Bloomberg?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:37 PM   #449
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

after the hatchet job Romney did to my home state, I wouldn't vote for him for dog catcher. (edit: I did actually vote for him twice as governor)

All throughout his first term and the campaign for the 2nd term, he basically said "I don't agree with it.. but since the people of the state are for it, it'll be done" (it being gay marriage, stem cell research, etcetera),

Then once he got the 2nd term as governor (after promising that if he was reelected, the state would come first), he realized he could go for the brass ring of running for president, and he basically became an absentee governor for most of his second term.

He realized that he had to play to the far rights to have a chance, so he abandoned all his former statements about the "will of the people" and played to the press and the far right. There were some bills vetoed that he promised to sign in his first term, (thankfully, the bills had a veto-proof margin).

So as someone who doesn't live up to his oaths either to the state or it's people (basically abandoning the state that elected him.. I wouldn't be so pissed if he had resigned, but continuing to reap the political rewards of the title of governor without doing diddly-squat at his real job), He's dead to me, politically, basically.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-10-2006 at 09:37 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #450
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, why do you like Bloomberg?

I think he brings a combination of organziation, leadership, and a business mindset. He seems willing to get things done. A moderate republican.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-10-2006 at 10:16 PM.