Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #401
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Rotoworld says that the Sox are giving the Braves $11M! If that's true, the Braves will be paying him $18M for 3 years. Maybe that's why the money isn't being reported right now, because I figure Boston fans would be up in arms. Still, all indications are that Marte has a chance to be a very, very good player.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:09 PM   #402
Ksyrup

Reds acquired second baseman-outfielder Tony Womack and cash from the Yankees for second baseman Kevin Howard and outfielder Ben Himes.
The Yankees are believed to be paying $900,000 of the $2 million Womack is owed next season. Womack was a quality regular for the Cardinals in 2004, but that was the only year in the last three that he hasn't been a huge liability. The Reds likely would have been better off sticking with their younger infielders. If Womack gets more than one or two starts per week at second base, he'll hurt the Reds. Dec. 8 - 2:08 pm et
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #403
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Rotoworld says that the Sox are giving the Braves $11M! If that's true, the Braves will be paying him $18M for 3 years. Maybe that's why the money isn't being reported right now, because I figure Boston fans would be up in arms. Still, all indications are that Marte has a chance to be a very, very good player.
This trade makes more sense now from a Braves perspective if the Sox are defraying some of the cost of Renteria. Marte is a very good prospect.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #404
Ksyrup

In the Rule 5 draft, I know that if a player is selected he has to remain on the team's roster for the entire year or offered back to his original team for $25K. Does that extend to Rule 5 draftees who are traded? Is that why teams are drafting certain players and then trading them elsewhere, to get around that rule, or is it just like a typical draft scenario where the team trading for a player is afraid another team is going to draft him before they get the chance, but they still have to keep the player on their roster for the full year? Just wondering.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #405
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

As a Boston fan I could care less how much they have to pay. Guy sucks.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #406
Ksyrup

He sucked last year, that's for sure.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:16 PM   #407
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
He sucked last year, that's for sure.

He had it all. Errors and was a double play machine.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:17 PM   #408
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
In the Rule 5 draft, I know that if a player is selected he has to remain on the team's roster for the entire year or offered back to his original team for $25K. Does that extend to Rule 5 draftees who are traded? Is that why teams are drafting certain players and then trading them elsewhere, to get around that rule, or is it just like a typical draft scenario where the team trading for a player is afraid another team is going to draft him before they get the chance, but they still have to keep the player on their roster for the full year? Just wondering.
Good question. I would assume that the player has to remain on the major league roster even after being traded or else he has to be offered back to the original club from which he was drafted. If so, puts some additional pressure on a team trading for a Rule 5 draftee - you're giving up something to trade for the guy, so you'd better be damn sure you'll keep him on your MLB roster all year...
Old 12-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #409
Ksyrup

I know the Phillies did this with Detroit today, but just gave up "future cash considerations." I just don't the rationale - was someone else hot for the guy, or did the Phillies want him, but not with the "full year on the roster" restriction. I assume you are right, or else the Rule 5 draft would be nothing but teams making deals to pick and trade guys to get around the rule.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #410
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
He had it all. Errors and was a double play machine.

Too much money to spend, not enough time to devote to practice.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:22 PM   #411
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Reds acquired second baseman-outfielder Tony Womack and cash from the Yankees for second baseman Kevin Howard and outfielder Ben Himes.
The Yankees are believed to be paying $900,000 of the $2 million Womack is owed next season. Womack was a quality regular for the Cardinals in 2004, but that was the only year in the last three that he hasn't been a huge liability. The Reds likely would have been better off sticking with their younger infielders. If Womack gets more than one or two starts per week at second base, he'll hurt the Reds. Dec. 8 - 2:08 pm et

Well this has many Reds fans ready to march on the GABP and drag O'Brien out of his office before he makes any more stupid trades.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #412
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
I don't see any reason to pay Grudz $3 million dollars. If the Cards have proven anything the last few years, it is they can stick almost anyone at 2B and get reasonable production out of them.

I was pleasently surprised with Grudz defense last year, but he is too streaky of a hitter for my taste. Not to mention he was absolutely worthless in the post-season. I don't know much about Aaron Miles, but I have a feeling he will be reasonably productive in our offense as well. As long as he is solid with the glove I would much rather they took the 2.7 mil they saved at that position and squeezed it into the bullpen, OF, or a starting pitcher.

I do. We'll see about 2b once the season gets underway, but $3 million is very modest for his services.

Who wasn't worthless in the post season besides Pujols?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #413
Ksyrup

Marte traded to the Pirates! Well, the other one.

DALLAS -- The holiday season still remains more than two weeks away, but the White Sox Ken Williams is all but done with his Christmas shopping.

Chicago's maverick general manager completed his offseason improvement program by acquiring ultra-utility infielder Rob Mackowiak from Pittsburgh for left-handed reliever Damaso Marte on Thursday afternoon, on what has become Williams' trademark final day of maneuvering at the Winter Meetings. Williams picked up Scott Podsednik and Luis Vizcaino from Milwaukee, in exchange for Carlos Lee, in a trade that was announced at the Anaheim Marriot last year as workers were stacking chairs in the main ballroom at the end of the event.

Williams could not comment on this particular trade, with it most likely not becoming official until next week -- pending physicals for both players and approval from the Commissioner's office. While it doesn't have the glitz of trading away a 30-home run, 100-RBI producer in exchange for one of the game's top leadoff men, as last year's trade did, this move could have just as great an impact for the South Siders.

For starters, the White Sox picked up a versatile left-handed hitter, with some pop off the bench, who turns 30 in June. Mackowiak, who earned $1.5 million last year and is arbitration eligible, has the ability to play every position but shortstop and catcher and provides a solid insurance policy behind Joe Crede and his two herniated discs at third base.

Mackowiak also is a native of Oak Lawn, Ill., true White Sox country, located just 15 minutes from U.S. Cellular Field. His presence gives the White Sox an opportunity to carry a 12th pitcher and protect against some of the big inning totals thrown by the starters in 2005 and beyond.

The addition of Mackowiak, who hit .272 in 2005 and knocked out 17 home runs in 2004, also means the end of the line with the White Sox for outfielder Timo Perez and infielder Willie Harris. Both are expected to be non-tendered at the arbitration deadline. The move also could mean a new location for Ross Gload, with basically the fourth outfielder's spot the only roster opening remaining, and rookie Jerry Owens apparently a leading candidate to fill that void.

In the process, the White Sox moved a talented left-hander in Marte who seemed to have a desire to play somewhere else. Marte battled control problems for most of last year and had issues with manager Ozzie Guillen late in the season, when he showed up late for treatment of an injured neck and was sent home by Guillen. But amends were made, and Marte was part of the team's 11-1 playoff run to the World Series title.

It was just two days ago when Guillen talked in his manager's interview session at the Wyndham Anatole as to how Marte could still be a functioning part of this staff next season.

"Damaso's problem was nobody grabbed him and talked to him the way you should be talked to," said Guillen of Marte. "Everyone was babysitting him and talked to him the nice way. When I talked to him the wrong way, he got better. I don't see that many lefties better than Damaso. He has one of the best arms in the bullpen."

The White Sox reportedly have a couple of lefties already lined up to fill Marte's void behind Cotts, lefties from outside of the organization with the same potential Marte had when he was acquired from Pittsburgh. Internal options such as Arnie Munoz and Paulino Reynoso also will be explored.

Since Thanksgiving, Williams has added a power-hitting left-hander in the form of Jim Thome to the middle of his lineup. He re-signed Paul Konerko to a five-year deal and strengthened the bench with Mackowiak. Not bad for a brief overhaul, especially for a team that won 99 games in 2005.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-08-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #414
vtbub
College Starter

Free-agent second baseman Mark Grudzielanek will not return to the Cardinals, increasing the chances that he could sign with the Mets or another club, FOXSports.com has learned.The Cardinals will lose their negotiating rights to Grudzielanek if they do not sign him by midnight ET Wednesday; Grudzielanek's contract stipulates that they can't offer him salary arbitration.

Grudzielanek, 35, was seeking a deal in excess of the two-year, $5 million contract that the Cubs gave free-agent infielder Neifi Perez. The Cardinals, however, are only willing to commit to a one-year contract in the $1 million to $2 million range for whomever they acquire to pay second base.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #415
dervack
College Prospect

Mackowiak moving to WS is a good trade for the Cubs. Now we don't have to worry about him hitting Grand Slams against us in Pittsburgh anymore.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #416
Ksyrup

The A's won't give potential suitors permission to try to work out a contract extension with Barry Zito, who is eligible for free agency after next season.
They said the same thing during the Tim Hudson trade talks a year ago, causing some teams to shy away. The A's have reiterated that they don't need to trade Zito, and reports indicate that it's less likely that he'll be moved. Still, the right offer could come around eventually. Dec. 8 - 3:41 pm et
Old 12-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #417
Ksyrup

The Padres, Dodgers, Red Sox and Royals have expressed interest in J.T. Snow, sources told the San Francisco Chronicle.
The Padres have said they intend to put Ryan Klesko at first base, so Snow might be a reserve and pinch-hitter in San Diego. The Dodgers could non-tender Hee Seop Choi and use Snow and Olmedo Saenz at first base until Jeff Kent moves over from second. Dec. 8 - 3:36 pm et
Old 12-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #418
Ksyrup

The Mets and Devil Rays have talked about a deal for Kaz Matsui, who is owed $8 million next season.
The Mets would have to pay the majority of Matsui's salary in order to trade him. The Rays could use him as a third baseman against left-handers and a reserve at second and short or play him at short if they trade Julio Lugo. Dec. 8 - 3:28 pm et
Old 12-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #419
Ksyrup

The Jays are considering offering Nomar Garciaparra a two-year deali.
Nomar is believed to have an offer of $4 million plus incentives for one year from the Orioles. It appears likely now that Garciaparra will get a two-year deal if he he wants one. Dec. 8 - 3:25 pm et
Old 12-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #420
Ksyrup

The Blue Jays are believed to be talking to the Rangers about acquiring Brad Wilkerson, who will be sent to Texas in the Alfonso Soriano deal.
The Rangers would be very interested in Orlando Hudson to replace Soriano at second base. The Jays are likely more eager to part with Alex Rios and a reliever. Dec. 8 - 3:20 pm et
Old 12-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #421
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes- for instance, the pitcher the Royals traded to the Rangers today must stay on the Texas (or another MLB team, if he's traded again) for the entire season or whoever has him must offer him back to the White Sox for $25K.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #422
Ksyrup

The Reds had discussions with Matt Morris' agent, Barry Axelrod, yesterday.
"We had a lengthy meeting," GM Dan O'Brien said. "It's still in the preliminary stage." The Reds have the money for Morris after making the Sean Casey trade, but San Francisco and Seattle appear to be more likely destinations for the right-hander. The Rangers are also seeking him. Dec. 8 - 3:14 pm et
Old 12-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #423
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You know, captain shameless super dola, you could put all those rotoworld in one instead of different posts for each

(and extra points to me for the dola post here to mention that
EDIT: and now it's not because of the timestamp bug)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-08-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #424
Ksyrup

I'm doing it that way on purpose, so that you can easily quote one message to discuss a particular rumor.

As far as increasing my post count...think of it as the trade-off for never stepping foot in a Werewolf thread.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #425
Ksyrup

Hey, I know how lazy you people are. I'm just trying to be helpful. I'll stop if my services aren't wanted.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #426
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
You know, captain shameless super dola, you could put all those rotoworld in one instead of different posts for each

(and extra points to me for the dola post here to mention that )

SI
or something like this

rotoworld.com's baseball coverage

McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #427
Vince
Pro Starter

Dude, if J.T. Snow went to the Dodgers, I think I would throw up. Many times.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:58 PM   #428
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
or something like this

rotoworld.com's baseball coverage

That's not weeding out the crap for the interesting rumors, though.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:11 PM   #429
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The Reds had discussions with Matt Morris' agent, Barry Axelrod, yesterday.
"We had a lengthy meeting," GM Dan O'Brien said. "It's still in the preliminary stage." The Reds have the money for Morris after making the Sean Casey trade, but San Francisco and Seattle appear to be more likely destinations for the right-hander. The Rangers are also seeking him. Dec. 8 - 3:14 pm et

I think I read some where tha Morris has given up a good amount of HR so it's only reasonable that the Reds would want to put him in the rotation.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #430
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Good question. I would assume that the player has to remain on the major league roster even after being traded or else he has to be offered back to the original club from which he was drafted. If so, puts some additional pressure on a team trading for a Rule 5 draftee - you're giving up something to trade for the guy, so you'd better be damn sure you'll keep him on your MLB roster all year...

A player selected in the major league portion of the Rule 5 draft, has to remain on the major league roster the entire season or else, be offered back to his original club. That was some teams won't choose anyone.

In the minor league version (yes, they do this..), they just have to stay on the 40-man roster I think or be offered back for less cash than the major league one.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:22 PM   #431
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As far as increasing my post count...think of it as the trade-off for never stepping foot in a Werewolf thread.
Wow, I guess between the two of us, that's 25K posts not in a Werewolf thread

SI

Old 12-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #432
korme
Go Reds

Is it just me or has this offseason been more active than any other in recent memory?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #433
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

WTF WHY
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #434
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Is it just me or has this offseason been more active than any other in recent memory?

Seems that way to me too, but it is entirely possible I was simply not paying very close attention in previous years to a lot of these smaller deals.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #435
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Keep 'em coming Ksyurp!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:21 PM   #436
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
A player selected in the major league portion of the Rule 5 draft, has to remain on the major league roster the entire season or else, be offered back to his original club. That was some teams won't choose anyone.
Right. We were just trying to figure out if anything changes if the drafted player is traded to another club. I would presume it doesn't change anything.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #437
Vince
Pro Starter

I believe it should have read 'A player selected in the major league portion of the Rule 5 Draft, has to remain on A major league roster...'

If the player is traded, the new team still has to keep the player on their major league roster, or the player is offered back to his original club. You'll sometimes see a team draft someone in the Rule 5 Draft, then trade the original club a prospect, or some cash, so they can then demote the Rule 5 Draftee without risk of losing him back to the original team.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:46 PM   #438
Ksyrup

Perhaps the Red Sox knew something the Braves didn't...

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Baltimore Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada said Thursday he's unhappy with the team's direction and wants to be traded.

"I've been with the Orioles for two years and things haven't gone in the direction that we were expecting, so I think the best thing will be a change of scenery," Tejada told The Associated Press during a telephone interview in his native Dominican Republic.

Tejada signed a $72 million, six-year contract with the Orioles before the 2004 season.

He hit .304 with 26 home runs and 98 RBI this year, but Baltimore finished 21 games behind the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox in the AL East.

"I've done many things with this team and I haven't seen results, and the other teams are getting stronger while the Orioles have not made any signings to strengthen the club," Tejada said.

Tejada came to Baltimore after playing seven years with the Oakland Athletics.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-08-2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #439
Ksyrup

Free agent Mike Myers told MLB.com that he's agreed to a two-year deal with the Yankees.
"I'm jacked up for it," Myers said. "It's going to be a lot of fun. The Yankees are a team I have wanted to play with for quite a while. I'm glad the deal was able to come to fruition." Hopefully, he's been taking notes while David Ortiz is at the plate. He'll be facing him quite a bit in the future. Dec. 8 - 4:07 pm et
Source: MLB.com
Old 12-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #440
Ksyrup

The Mets continue to talk to the Diamondbacks about Javier Vazquez, and Lastings Milledge's name has come up in discussions.
Parting with Milledge for Vazquez would be a mistake. The Mets would prefer to trade Kris Benson and lesser prospects for the right-hander. Dec. 8 - 4:31 pm et
Old 12-08-2005, 07:31 PM   #441
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Right. We were just trying to figure out if anything changes if the drafted player is traded to another club. I would presume it doesn't change anything.
This was already answered back at post 421, with an example even

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-08-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:03 PM   #442
oykib
College Starter

Thanks to the Reds for taking Womack of our hands.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:48 PM   #443
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
Perhaps the Red Sox knew something the Braves didn't...

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Baltimore Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada said Thursday he's unhappy with the team's direction and wants to be traded.

"I've been with the Orioles for two years and things haven't gone in the direction that we were expecting, so I think the best thing will be a change of scenery," Tejada told The Associated Press during a telephone interview in his native Dominican Republic.

Tejada signed a $72 million, six-year contract with the Orioles before the 2004 season.

He hit .304 with 26 home runs and 98 RBI this year, but Baltimore finished 21 games behind the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox in the AL East.

"I've done many things with this team and I haven't seen results, and the other teams are getting stronger while the Orioles have not made any signings to strengthen the club," Tejada said.

Tejada came to Baltimore after playing seven years with the Oakland Athletics.

Hopefully the front office will take note and try to get some talent around him. If not, trade him for some top prospects (Anaheim matches up well), and rebuild.

I can't disagree that they haven't made any signings to strengthen the team, but some FA's just don't want to come to Baltimore. They had the top offer for Konerko, had around the same offer the Blue Jays did for Burnett. They had to overpay to get Tejada to sign even.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:53 PM   #444
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Free agent Mike Myers told MLB.com that he's agreed to a two-year deal with the Yankees.
"I'm jacked up for it," Myers said. "It's going to be a lot of fun. The Yankees are a team I have wanted to play with for quite a while. I'm glad the deal was able to come to fruition." Hopefully, he's been taking notes while David Ortiz is at the plate. He'll be facing him quite a bit in the future. Dec. 8 - 4:07 pm et
Source: MLB.com

I thought "Jacked up" meant "Pissed off".
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #445
Bad-example
College Starter

CBS4 in Boston is reporting that Bill Mueller has agreed to a deal with the Dodgers.
No terms yet, but it will probably be a two-year pact. The Pirates reportedly offered him $7 million over two years.

This is almost as sickening as the thought of J.T. Snow wearing dodger blew.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:16 AM   #446
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

No, it doesn't change. I think the trading just allows the teams to get rid of the player, since they can't release him.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:27 AM   #447
Ksyrup

The Cardinals are turning back to Matt Morris after failed runs at A.J. Burnett and Javier Vazquez and are prepared to offer him a three-year deal.
St. Louis, San Francisco, Texas and Seattle are believed to be the finalists for Morris, who is set to command at least a three-year contract. The Cardinals are higly unlikely to put the high offer on the table, but they're prepared to be competitive and they're hopeful Morris will take a little less to stay with the team. Dec. 9 - 4:53 am et
Old 12-09-2005, 06:27 AM   #448
Ksyrup

Ha!

The Orioles are moving closer to signing Jeff Conine to a one-year deal worth about $1.5 million.
How is Miggy liking their direction now? Dec. 9 - 4:43 am et
Old 12-09-2005, 06:27 AM   #449
Ksyrup

Sources told the Boston Herald that the Red Sox might not be prepared to move much from the four-year, $40 million offer currently being offered to Johnny Damon.
Agent Scott Boras wants more. "I think you’re going to be surprised (where Damon ends up)," Boras said yesterday. "The winter meetings always have a surprise, and in Johnny Damon’s case, you’re going to be surprised. I think Johnny Damon’s case is very much up in the air." Still, there isn't one other reported offer for Damon out there. That doesn't mean there's nothing, but it's entirely possible Boras is trying to get the Red Sox to bid against themselves. For their part, the Red Sox are talking to Juan Encarnacion, who could be an option in center if Damon leaves. Dec. 9 - 4:38 am et
Old 12-09-2005, 06:28 AM   #450
Ksyrup

The Phillies and Pirates look like the top contenders for free agent Braden Looper, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
The Randers and Cardinals are also believed to have made offers. Dec. 9 - 4:19 am et