Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #401
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
YAY!!! Now the Lions actually have someone who can get the receivers the damn ball. I hope Mooch has a very short leash on #3...

Great! Now the Lions can choose between a QB who can throw the ball a whole 3 yards and hit someone, or a QB who can throw a whole 3 yards and not! I haven't been this excited since the Lions added black accents to their uniforms! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #402
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Looks like there may be a bit of mutual interest between the Eagles and Burress. Possibly for just a one-year deal, presumably for Burress to get some numbers and try for another payday next season. He would probably fit in pretty well. Despite what some people say, I don't think Burress is a disruptive-type personality. He seems like he is just sort of a loner and a little lethargic.

Pure speculation on my part here, but I wonder if Burress may have a few positive drug tests to his name and if that may be making teams wary of signing him. If he is one positive test away from getting suspended or something, even if it was a few years ago, that could scare teams off.

I've heard the Eagles-Burress rumors, and I like it for both sides. He could be a nice compliment to T.O and I think the other receivers would be very good as a #3. He could help make their offense even better, and they can help him get a good contract somewhere else in a year. I don't think it would be that disruptive to the Eagles if he were suspended either as they have enough veteran leadership and good coaching to deal with that sort of situation.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:36 PM   #403
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I actually signed him in Madden for that reason and he helped me win the Super Bowl the following year (I lost to N.E. in the Superbowl in my first season which was played back in October or November.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #404
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Raiders sign DE Derrick Burgess (Eagles) to a 5 year, $17.5 million deal with a $6 million signing bonus.

DT Hollis Thomas has asked the Eagles to trade or release him as he is unhappy with his contract..
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:18 PM   #405
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

This is from Len Pasquarelli's latest column:

Quote:
Minnesota officials might now turn their attention, however, to offense. The club has made a contract offer to unrestricted free agent wide receiver Plaxico Burress, and the former Pittsburgh Steelers star is seriously considering the proposal. A deal could come over the weekend.

Edit: Apparently, a six-year deal is on the table.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 03-12-2005 at 08:46 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #406
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

49ers head coach Mike Nolan thinks WR Braylon Edwards is the top player available. Will he select him #1?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:32 AM   #407
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Information on the Sharper deal is out. It appears it is a 4-year $17 million deal with a bonus of almost $5 million. Good for Darren for getting that kind of money. Sammy Knight was a better safety in 04 and he just signed a 5-year $11 million deal with a $2.7 million SB.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:46 AM   #408
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Now it's being reported that the Cowboys are still high on DE Darren Howard, but will not offer Dat Nguyen for him (yay).
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:59 AM   #409
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
49ers head coach Mike Nolan thinks WR Braylon Edwards is the top player available. Will he select him #1?
There is a very good chance this will happen. Sources have said that Nolan really isn't impressed with Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers. Braylon could be the man as Cedric Wilson is gone and Rashuan Woods looks like he's a bust (even though he was injured and didn't get enough playing time. I think they're giving up too early ). They really shouldn't take Edwards with the first pick, but theres a good possibility that it will happen. *sigh*
Old 03-13-2005, 10:59 AM   #410
Swaggs
Coordinator

Looks like the Steelers and Ty Law might have something going on.

Ty Law, Steelers to meet Monday
Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
03/13/2005

PITTSBURGH - Even though the Steelers aren't in desperate need of a cornerback, there's a chance Ty Law could be playing for Pittsburgh next season.

Still hobbling on a surgically repaired foot, Law helped cheer on his alma mater Saturday in a PIAA basketball game. And as he left Duquesne University's Palumbo Center after Aliquippa's 72-70 win over Quaker Valley, Law confirmed that he plans on meeting with the Steelers again soon.

"I'm trying to stay low-key and not say too much about it," said Law, the former New England Patriots' star cornerback who was released by the Super Bowl champs three weeks ago as a salary cap casualty.

Advertisement

"I'm here until Monday. I have to go back and visit with the Steelers again and then I have to go make a couple more stops."

Law, a 31-year-old veteran of 10 NFL seasons, first stopped by Steelers headquarters on the South Side of Pittsburgh on Thursday. He met with coach Bill Cowher and several defensive coaches. He met with owner Dan Rooney. And he met with the Steelers' chief orthopedic surgeon, Dr. James Bradley.

Even though their top four cornerbacks are under contract - Deshea Townsend, Willie Williams, Ricardo Colclough and Ike Taylor - the Steelers are intrigued by Law and are serious about opening negotiations with Law's agents pending the outcome of more tests of Law's foot.

Law suffered a season-ending mid-foot fracture in the Patriots' loss to the Steelers on Oct. 31 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.

In January, Law underwent surgery to repair ligament damage in his foot. He is still wearing a soft cast as he rehabilitates his injured foot.

Other teams that might be interested in Law's services include the Kansas City Chiefs, Cleveland Browns, New York Jets, Oakland Raiders and Dallas Cowboys.

A four-time Pro Bowl selection, Law would have been a $12.5 million salary cap hit if the Patriots would have kept him. He was due to make a base salary of $8.75 million, a $1 million roster bonus plus roughly $2.75 million from his pro-rated signing bonus. Six years ago, Law signed a seven-year contract worth an estimated $51 million.

Even though they recently re-signed kicker Jeff Reed and signed former San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Cedrick Wilson via free agency, the Steelers still could sign Law if they deem him healthy enough to play next year.

Because of the millions he's already made, money isn't a major issue for Law right now. He's willing to accept less money in order to play for a contender.

The Steelers might not have a lot of salary cap room (the cap this year is $85.5 million per team), but they should be contenders again next season. Last season, they went 16-2 and lost to the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:02 AM   #411
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Now it's being reported that the Cowboys are still high on DE Darren Howard, but will not offer Dat Nguyen for him (yay).

Thank God. Howard's a very good player, but not worth a first and Nguyen in my opinion.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #412
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs

Because of the millions he's already made, money isn't a major issue for Law right now. He's willing to accept less money in order to play for a contender.

Umm, then why didn't he restructure and stay with the Pats? And why did he cause such a mess last year about not trusting Belichick?

Edit: I'm quoting the article, not a comment made by Swaggs.

Last edited by Cap Ologist : 03-13-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:35 AM   #413
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
There is a very good chance this will happen. Sources have said that Nolan really isn't impressed with Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers. Braylon could be the man as Cedric Wilson is gone and Rashuan Woods looks like he's a bust (even though he was injured and didn't get enough playing time. I think they're giving up too early ). They really shouldn't take Edwards with the first pick, but theres a good possibility that it will happen. *sigh*

Who would you rather they take? Don't say trade down, because that's not a very realistic proposition in this draft...

Poor Braylon gets nothin' but static from folks. He's a great wideout. I guess folks are turned off by the lack of success UofM receivers taken in the first round (eg, Terrell, Howard, etc.) have had in the NFL.

Braylon's a great player. He took over games in college. That's not an easy thing to do as a wideout.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:39 AM   #414
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:

The guess here is that Nolan is trying to throw a little scare into the teams picking 2-5 that are hoping to draft Edwards. Trading down is likely the 49ers preference, and Nolan might just be trying to add some doubt to bring out a potential trade partner.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:42 PM   #415
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Thank God. Howard's a very good player, but not worth a first and Nguyen in my opinion.

The rumor in N.O. is that it would be for a second and Nguyen.

Having watched Howard for a few years, I think that he has the ability to be a 20 sack guy. He's our best pass rusher by far when he is healthy.

But, he has trouble staying healthy and is not the strongest DE against the run.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:01 PM   #416
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
The rumor in N.O. is that it would be for a second and Nguyen.

Having watched Howard for a few years, I think that he has the ability to be a 20 sack guy. He's our best pass rusher by far when he is healthy.

But, he has trouble staying healthy and is not the strongest DE against the run.

I just really like Dat Nguyen. He's not big, but he's a playmaker, a leader, and a stand-up guy by all accounts. That's a rare combination in my opinion, and I would hate the Cowboys to lose him. He's the kind of guy they need.

I would not have a problem with the Cowboys offering a first for Howard, and possibly even a first and another draft pick next year. But it sounds like N.O. wants two firsts for him or a really good player in addition to a pick.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #417
bigmike75
n00b

Am I the only Cowboys fan bothered by the fact that in the year we are switching to a 3-4 we are releasing or trying to trade our best linebackers, without signing any replacements?
bigmike75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:41 PM   #418
Tigercat
College Starter

I don't know about 20 sacks, but if healthy for a whole season I think Howard can put up ~15 sacks with a lot of forced fumbles. (He gets to a lot of plays around the edge with a combo of pass rush skills and power for a DE, but he is often not in a position to get a full hit, putting him in position for a lot of hurries and the chance to force a lot of fumbles over the course of a full season.) But its a big if when saying if Howard is healthy for a whole season. Hes not the worst of the injury prone, but hes one of those guys that always finds a way to miss at least a few games over the course of a season.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #419
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The Seahawks re-signed OG/OT Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack to a 2-year deal (financial numbers not yet available). "Pork Chop" has got to be one of the best nicknames in the NFL...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:45 PM   #420
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Plaxico has fired his agent and will now be represented by Drew Rosenhaus.

The Bengals sign DT Bryan Robinson (Dolphins) to a 3 year deal.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:14 PM   #421
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

The Patriots signed WR Tim Dwight to a one year deal. Good signing, IMHO.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:40 PM   #422
General Mike
Pro Starter

Ernie Accorsi has no clue what hes doing. That is all.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:41 PM   #423
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Didn't Dwight sign on Friday morning?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:48 PM   #424
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Didn't Dwight sign on Friday morning?

Ah, good point. I swear I had read this entire thread, but somehow missed that news entirely until reading it today.

doh.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #425
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist
Umm, then why didn't he restructure and stay with the Pats? And why did he cause such a mess last year about not trusting Belichick?

Edit: I'm quoting the article, not a comment made by Swaggs.

that part of the article just doesn't make sense to me, completely stupid. Why wouldn't he??? Right now, I'm guessing that the "money is not an issue to him" may be the opinion of the writer more than Law himself, and if not, Law is saying one thing and doing another...

FM
Old 03-14-2005, 08:15 AM   #426
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Given the lack of a "can't-miss" Franchise QB, and given all of the 49ers needs, I'll be very disappointed in them if they fail to trade down.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:40 AM   #427
mhass
High School Varsity

All joking aside, Doug Flutie back to the Bears is a real possibility. [Wiggles cyanide tablet loose from false tooth.]

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:52 AM   #428
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Man, the Vikes are going to town this off-season...I love it!
Old 03-14-2005, 09:10 AM   #429
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
All joking aside, Doug Flutie back to the Bears is a real possibility. [Wiggles cyanide tablet loose from false tooth.]

Guess Jeff won't wake up if that happened.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:16 AM   #430
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar

I don't! I'm a Packers fan, of course, and am left wondering: when did the Vikings' front office grow a brain? More importantly, why did they grow a brain? I was perfectly happy with the status quo.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:28 AM   #431
mhass
High School Varsity

The Vikes will probably forget they have Oakland's draft spot and not turn in a pick until Round 3. That will even out their off-season.

Old 03-14-2005, 01:40 PM   #432
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Given the lack of a "can't-miss" Franchise QB, and given all of the 49ers needs, I'll be very disappointed in them if they fail to trade down.

Every drafy, everybody always wants their team to trade down it seems. But the problem, particularly this year, is that no one wants to trade up. What do you do if the best offer for trading up is the, I dunno, #10 in the 1st round and a 5th. Might as well stay at #2.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-14-2005 at 01:41 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:48 PM   #433
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Every drafy, everybody always wants their team to trade down it seems. But the problem, particularly this year, is that no one wants to trade up.

I agree completely. The only player for whom I have heard teams wanting to trade up is Derek(sp?) Johnson from Texas. Of course, workouts could change things, but it is a crappiest year in recent memory to have the #1 overall pick.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:58 PM   #434
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
I agree completely. The only player for whom I have heard teams wanting to trade up is Derek(sp?) Johnson from Texas. Of course, workouts could change things, but it is a crappiest year in recent memory to have the #1 overall pick.

With all the talk about the 49ers taking Braylon Edwards, the rumors are that the Buccaneers are trying to trade up, so that they can take Mike Williams before the Bears do. I don't think there will be movement for #1 but 2-10 should be interesting.

Dolphins sign QB Gus Frerotte and are going to release FB Rob Konrad.

Giants release DT Norman Hand.

Texans release LB Jay Foreman

Orlando Pace is visiting the Texans, he is the Rams franchise player, so the Texans will give up 2 first rounders if Pace signs with them or the Texans try to trade for him.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:04 PM   #435
mhass
High School Varsity

There is all the talk of SF just "inflating" Edwards to generate interest in trading up, but with two solid WR prospects at the top, I don't see anybody doing anything to get a WR. The Williams-Bears connection is so wildly debated around Chicago that I have no idea what to think. The sports media and the Bear organization says it's Ronnie Brown, done deal. But I can't help but think WR is a better option even with Muhammed on board. I wonder if the RB talk wasn't more of the same "inflating" to try to move down or at least throw off draft strategies.

Old 03-14-2005, 04:05 PM   #436
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Dolphins sign QB Gus Frerotte and are going to release FB Rob Konrad.
Damn. My Broncos are having a hard time finding a backup QB.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-14-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:24 PM   #437
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Damn. My Broncos are having a hard time finding a backup QB.
I hear Doug Flutie is available...
Old 03-14-2005, 04:49 PM   #438
Scarecrow
College Prospect

THIS JUST IN....................................

Ed Hartwell still hasn't decided where he'll sign.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:52 PM   #439
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
I hear Doug Flutie is available...

He would actually be perfect. Jake can keep us in the game by throwing TDs, then put us in a position to lose by tossing a few INTs, then we can bring in Flutie to rescue us with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Sounds like a plan!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:10 PM   #440
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow
THIS JUST IN....................................

Ed Hartwell still hasn't decided where he'll sign.

Please be Seattle, please!
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:39 PM   #441
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Orlando Pace to Texans?

Orlando Pace's days as the franchise player of the St. Louis Rams might be coming to an end.

Days before a Wednesday deadline to get a long-term contract with the Rams, Pace and his new agent, Kennard McGuire, flew to Houston on Monday to visit the Texans. Their goal: to facilitate a trade that would end his eight-year career as the Rams' left tackle.

The Rams have franchised Pace for three consecutive years. Under terms of that designation, the Rams have until Wednesday to work out a long-term contract and regain the ability to franchise a player in 2006. Any long agreement reached between Wednesday and July 15 would cost St. Louis its franchise tag for the length of that contract.

Pace and the Rams have been discussing a long-term deal for the past two weeks. At different points during the past month, there have been thoughts that the Rams would either trade Pace or that the former Ohio State offensive lineman would ask to be traded.

The fact that Pace spent the day in Houston shows that he is willing to move on. It's his right as an unsigned franchise player to visit other teams and talk contract, but the timing of Monday's visit signifies questions in his mind whether he can get a long-term deal done with the Rams.

The 29-year-old former first-round pick recently hired McGuire and Fletcher Smith two weeks ago after not being represented by an agent since the middle of the season. McGuire, who accompanied Pace on the trip to Houston, was unavailable for comment.

The Rams would have to receive two first-round picks if Pace signs an offer sheet, but if Pace intends to leave the Rams for the Texans, it would be more likely the sides would have to work out a trade for a first-round choice and something in addition. At the scouting combine in Indianapolis, the New York Giants and a couple other teams heard initial inquiries from the Rams about the possibility of trading Pace.

Those thoughts died down when Pace hired his new agents. The Rams were excited about Pace hiring agents in time to do a long-term contract before the start of their offseason program.

Pace was the first selection in the 1997 draft. He signed his first contract Aug. 16 after a long holdout. He's been to two Super Bowls and two Pro Bowls as a Ram.

The 6-foot-7, 325-pound Pace played his college ball at Ohio State.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

A move like this might be enough to put the Texans in the playoffs. Also, can any Dolphins fans tell me about Greenwood and how good/not good he is?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:58 PM   #442
JeffNights
College Prospect

For some reason, i want my Lions to trade down to the late first round for pheraps another second round pick, and the take David Baas with the late first rounder.

The Lions have a big hole they could fill with Baas, who is very versitile on that O-Line.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:37 PM   #443
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Anthony Becht signs with Tampa.... finally he's gone!!! hooray!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:40 AM   #444
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Anthony Becht signs with Tampa.... finally he's gone!!! hooray!

I don't think I've ever seen that guy make a play. He's like a ghost out there.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:46 AM   #445
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Word in STL this morning is that the Texans have signed Pace to an offer sheet.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:47 AM   #446
mhass
High School Varsity

A better offer than the franchise tag gets him. He's gone.

Old 03-15-2005, 08:51 AM   #447
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Minnesota has certainly improved itself a ton on paper, but IIRC doing so via a mass off-season spending spree usually doesn't work as well as anticipated. I don't really have specific examples that I can think of, but it's always been my understanding that free agency in the NFL rarely works out as well as it does in other sports.

Am I simply imagining this, or can somebody confirm it, as I'm sure I've read/seen the topic broached before?

Last edited by Hammer755 : 03-15-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:52 AM   #448
mhass
High School Varsity

Uh, Redskins?

Old 03-15-2005, 08:54 AM   #449
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755
Minnesota has certainly improved itself a ton on paper, but IIRC doing so via a mass off-season spending spree usually doesn't work as well as anticipated. I don't really have specific examples that I can think of, but it's always been my understanding that free agency in the NFL rarely works out as well as it does in other sports.

Am I simply imagining this, or can somebody confirm it, as I'm sure I've read/seen the topic broached before?

Well, I don't know of any studies on this topic, but I seem to recall Dan Snyder spending an absurd amount of free agent money a few seasons ago and getting an 8-8 (or something like that) return on his investment.

And as a Packers fan, I hope you're right.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:58 AM   #450
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755

well the defense can't get much worse, so I'd say its a good gamble.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote