Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2005, 07:45 PM   #401
SackAttack
Head Coach

I've given up more HR from cold zone pitches than from hot zone pitches, just to back up Pumpy on that one.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:51 PM   #402
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
I've given up more HR from cold zone pitches than from hot zone pitches, just to back up Pumpy on that one.

Me too.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:06 PM   #403
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

9 pages?! I'm sorry, but, I can't read all 9, so, I'll just ask if anyone else has seen the save problem? I bring a pitcher for 2/3 of a inning with the tying run in the on-deck circle and still no save.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:46 PM   #404
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
9 pages?! I'm sorry, but, I can't read all 9, so, I'll just ask if anyone else has seen the save problem? I bring a pitcher for 2/3 of a inning with the tying run in the on-deck circle and still no save.

Hmm, never ran into that, and I was whoring for as many Saves for Tom Gordon as possible in my Royals dynasty.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #405
Vince
Pro Starter

Ok, I just picked it up today, and had time to play one game before getting in to work -- just out of curiosity, who does the play-by-play?

When I played my one game, I played (obviously) as the Giants, but Kruk and Kuip (Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper, the Giants' radio broadcast duo) were doing the commentary -- it almost knocked me off my chair. I'm just wondering if they do every team, or if the game somehow has multiple play-by-play guys?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #406
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Ok, I just picked it up today, and had time to play one game before getting in to work -- just out of curiosity, who does the play-by-play?

When I played my one game, I played (obviously) as the Giants, but Kruk and Kuip (Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper, the Giants' radio broadcast duo) were doing the commentary -- it almost knocked me off my chair. I'm just wondering if they do every team, or if the game somehow has multiple play-by-play guys?

I'm pretty sure they do the all of the games (I've only played as the Giants too, though), they are just the game's broadcasters......MEAT!

(FYI, Jon Miller does 2k5, so we've got all of our bases covered)

Last edited by sooner333 : 03-09-2005 at 08:55 PM.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:09 PM   #407
Vince
Pro Starter

Jon Miller is probably my favorite current commentator for anything. Even better than Al Michaels for football.

That's awesome that Kruk and Kuip are the game's broadcasters.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #408
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yep, just Kruk Kuip, but great idea to have multiple announcers - that would be a gaming first!!

I haven't seen an issue with saves yet, but I don't get many chances. lol

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-09-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #409
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

anybody have any input on a good modified roster set to get/any other "necessary" mods??

and while I'm asking, did primelord finish his situational QB utility while I was in the box and not checking the board?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:13 PM   #410
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Jon Miller is probably my favorite current commentator for anything. Even better than Al Michaels for football.

That's awesome that Kruk and Kuip are the game's broadcasters.

This really is a great game. . . but the announcing is simply horrible. I've taken to turning them off. Some of my favorite examples:

I'm facing Randy Johnson in the top of the first ------ "This guy isn't a strikeout pitcher, he needs to force them to hit ground balls to be successful"

I take the first pitch for a strike and hit the button in a practice swing after the ball has already been sent back to the pitcher ------ "Swung and missed. He was way late on that one."

The errors in commentary take me back to the Joe Montana Sportstalk football days of unintentional humor. "He didn't make it!!!" after my quarterback gets sacked on a 4th and 33 play.

I'm playing the PC version, not sure if the others are that bad or not.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:59 PM   #411
samifan24
Pro Starter

As a play-by-play guy myself, I find their broadcasting to be pretty good, among the best I've ever heard in a game. Some lines get old really quickly...MEAT, but many are spot-on observations and well-timed and delivered. I've been quite impressed with the play-by-play in this version (Xbox).
Old 03-10-2005, 12:08 AM   #412
SackAttack
Head Coach

The broadcasting is horrible, although that's more a function of script and programming than broadcaster talent.

That said, Vince, I can't believe you like Jon Miller better than Vin Scully. I thought you had taste, man!
Old 03-10-2005, 07:16 AM   #413
Calis
College Starter

Just had quite a dramatic finish to the first season of my fantasy Royals campaign which culminated in my stars doing absolutely nothing in the playoffs and my scrubs carrying the team.

Bako, my wonderkid at 1st Base made a game changing stop defensively, in the 4th game of the ALCS and ended up injuring himself, can't remember exactly what it was. Anyway, we managed to drop the next two and barely scraped out a game 7 win to go the series.

The World Series started off horribly, and it was a miracle we made it to game 7. A miracle due in part to Bako's return in game 6 and a nice double brings in a run to give us the lead the late.

Then Game 7 comes around. We fall behind 2-0 very early thanks to Pudge taking one deep on my Ace Chan Ho Park. We manage to scrape back into it and eventually take the lead 3-2 in the 7th. Then in the 9th they managed to get a guy to 3rd with only 1 out before I brought in my closer Tom Gordon. Let me tell you, that was a wee bit suspenseful. He held out though, and we managed to end the game on a strikeout, which is always a plus in my books! So we pulled it off! Now onto season 2 and probably an upping of the difficulty.

And yes, the announces are horrible. Real bad.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:01 AM   #414
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
They don't in the game but do have numbers in real life.

I wasn't aware the Dodgers were going the Yankees route.

Actually, they do have numbers in game, but since the jerseys are dark blue, the number outlines are black and they used dark blue for the interior of the numbers, you can't read them.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:53 PM   #415
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

I still hate how the scouts rate everyone as the next big thing or a hall of famer. EA should have worked that out.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:18 AM   #416
henry296
College Starter

HELP!!!

I can't hit for power to save my life. I am playing on Pro and even bumped by power slider up to 10. I seem to have warning track power, but hit for a decent average. I have probably hit 2 HRs in my last 15 games and in some of those games, I batted for both teams to practice. In my last game as the Orioles I was 14/42 and all 14 hits were singles.

I try to use the right stick and press up, but that doesn't help me much. I know I am typically late on the fastball and in front of the change. I also strike out too much... 11 times in the game mentioned above. Should I try to slow the pitch speed down? I guess I am getting too old to play these games.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:05 AM   #417
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
I try to use the right stick and press up, but that doesn't help me much.

Maybe try pressing the left stick?
Old 03-12-2005, 01:09 AM   #418
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever

There is a problem with the saves. I'm been playing and managing, and in both situations, I've noticed uncredited saves. This game is worth more than the $30, so I won't let it bother me.....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:25 AM   #419
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'd rather have a problem with saves than an issue with left-handed homers. Hopefully EA can use Live to fix it, though.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:33 AM   #420
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Maybe try pressing the left stick?

Oops. It was late, i do press the left stick.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:44 PM   #421
jbmagic
Pro Starter

wow

i am learning new thing each day i play this game.

When you first press your button to start the pitcher in motion, you need to HOLD the button until you are ready to release the pitch. When I first started playing instead of holding the button, I'd press and let up. I was getting slaughtered!
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #422
HighandOutside
n00b

Beware. Looks like CPU roster AI goes FUBAR late in the season. This might be bad. I'm early in my season and haven't noticed anything but look what these guys have found.

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...d.php?t=118000
HighandOutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:18 PM   #423
Barkeep49
Coordinator

In Homerun Derby there is a Jon Dowd you can face and earn MVP points (which I am strangely addicted to getting). What team is he on?
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:19 PM   #424
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
In Homerun Derby there is a Jon Dowd you can face and earn MVP points (which I am strangely addicted to getting). What team is he on?

That's Bonds...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:27 PM   #425
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandOutside
Beware. Looks like CPU roster AI goes FUBAR late in the season. This might be bad. I'm early in my season and haven't noticed anything but look what these guys have found.

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...d.php?t=118000
Well some recent posting suggests that this might be a problem with user created roster sets which wouldn't be the worse thing in the world for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot
That's Bonds...
Thanks

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 03-12-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #426
Ramzavail
College Starter

This may have been said in this post or not - but does this game have multi-player franchise?

meaning a friend and I can both start a franchise in the same season...
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:34 PM   #427
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Allright Xbox players: All-Star
Cursor on fade, everything else off - assissted fielding - auto pickoff return - replay and check swing freq on high

CPU MVP Outfielder Speed -3
Human MVP Outfielder Speed -3
CPU Manual Infielder Speed -3
Human Manual Infielder Speed -3

CPU Baserunning Speed +3
Human Baserunning Speed +3

Using just these small tweaks above (thanks db!), I restarted my franchise with the Cardinals and had maybe my best game so far (out of about 40+).

The game featured Clemens vs Mulder and the linescore was:
Code:

R H E
STL 5 11 0
HOU 6 18 2

Final in 11 innings.

I saw a bunch of new hits thanks to the slower fielder speeds. A fast OF now means a little more as well as good range infielders. For some reason, it seems like the ball is jumping off the bat more. Heck, I had my second best hit output in just my first game.

One play, Berkman just missed getting to the ball and it bounced over his head, allowing me to get to third. Speedy runners will not get caught in a double play if the ball is hit slowly.

It's only one game, but I like what I see. Pitching is still challenging for me, so no tweaks there... and I feel as if foul balls are perfect. Playing with the 6/4 view, cursor on fade, and everything else "off" has been quite a challenge for me on All-Star. I also downloaded the latest online rosters and only edited Barry Bonds.

I need to get some games with these, but so far I agree with PK, these small tweaks are quite good indeed. Thanks again to dbdynsty25 from digitalsportspage!.. I still hate sliders.

Todd
Old 03-13-2005, 12:52 AM   #428
henry296
College Starter

Todd,

What was the pitch count for Mulder when you pulled him and how many innings had he pitched?

I've made even more drastic changes to the running speed. It seemed to me that runners were not reaching first base quick enough on base hits and were thrown out by about 4 steps on every grounder. Mine at at +20 for running and -17 for fielders.

I really slowed down the pitch speed (-30) and raised User Power (+30) and have done better and making solid contact. It hit 1 HR today and it was with Kerry Wood. It seems with default speed, on a fastball you have very little time to swing and I was swinging at way too many fastballs out of the zone.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:55 AM   #429
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Here's were I'm at tonight after some more games using db's as the base... I really need to get some sleep.

CPU MVP Outfielder Speed -5
Human MVP Outfielder Speed -5
CPU Manual Infielder Speed -5
Human Manual Infielder Speed -5

CPU Baserunning Speed +5
Human Baserunning Speed +5

I went up to +5 on the base running because bobbled balls were still getting fast runners out at first base. Also, a very fast runner will need a hard hit grounder to get a dp on. I still think that foul ball slider does something to the hitting, so I'm keeping it at 0 for now. My pitching still gives up plenty of runs, so pitching stays at defaults as well.

More playing tomorrow as the wife and kids will be gone all day.

Todd
Old 03-13-2005, 01:58 AM   #430
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
Todd,

What was the pitch count for Mulder when you pulled him and how many innings had he pitched?

I've made even more drastic changes to the running speed. It seemed to me that runners were not reaching first base quick enough on base hits and were thrown out by about 4 steps on every grounder. Mine at at +20 for running and -17 for fielders.

I really slowed down the pitch speed (-30) and raised User Power (+30) and have done better and making solid contact. It hit 1 HR today and it was with Kerry Wood. It seems with default speed, on a fastball you have very little time to swing and I was swinging at way too many fastballs out of the zone.

Shoot, I don't recall, but his stamina was at 38%, I do remember that. I walked at least 2 batters. I'm ok at hitting, but I think the center view helps me because the pitcher is further away than hitter's eye, which was killing me.

+20 and -17 wow! Don't you see your fielders having a hard time getting to the ball? How close are plays with normal runners and a normal grounder to say, the ss? These tweaks I just posted seem good so far... ok, time for some rest.

Todd
Old 03-13-2005, 02:24 AM   #431
sooner333
College Starter

Todd- Think its worthwhile restarting a dynasty with the EA rosters and editing Bonds...this whole roster craziness is kind of scaring me, as I'm only 14 games into my owner mode.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:40 AM   #432
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm not going to restart my owner mode, but I think I will try these tweaks. Thanks for (re?)posting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Allright Xbox players: All-Star
Cursor on fade, everything else off - assissted fielding - auto pickoff return - replay and check swing freq on high

CPU MVP Outfielder Speed -3
Human MVP Outfielder Speed -3
CPU Manual Infielder Speed -3
Human Manual Infielder Speed -3

CPU Baserunning Speed +3
Human Baserunning Speed +3

Using just these small tweaks above (thanks db!), I restarted my franchise with the Cardinals and had maybe my best game so far (out of about 40+).

The game featured Clemens vs Mulder and the linescore was:
Code:

R H E
STL 5 11 0
HOU 6 18 2

Final in 11 innings.

I saw a bunch of new hits thanks to the slower fielder speeds. A fast OF now means a little more as well as good range infielders. For some reason, it seems like the ball is jumping off the bat more. Heck, I had my second best hit output in just my first game.

One play, Berkman just missed getting to the ball and it bounced over his head, allowing me to get to third. Speedy runners will not get caught in a double play if the ball is hit slowly.

It's only one game, but I like what I see. Pitching is still challenging for me, so no tweaks there... and I feel as if foul balls are perfect. Playing with the 6/4 view, cursor on fade, and everything else "off" has been quite a challenge for me on All-Star. I also downloaded the latest online rosters and only edited Barry Bonds.

I need to get some games with these, but so far I agree with PK, these small tweaks are quite good indeed. Thanks again to dbdynsty25 from digitalsportspage!.. I still hate sliders.

Todd
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:43 AM   #433
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Just saw your second tweak. I might try those instead. I don't want to go too drastic, but I do agree that the outfielders are a bit too fast and the base runners aren't quite fast enough. I'm worried that if things are adjusted too much, there will be too many inside the park homers and triples. Right now I've already hit about 5 triples with Rollins without any tweaks.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:57 AM   #434
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

Just wanted to add my sob story:

I've finally had some time to get back into the game, so I set up an owner's mode with fantasy draft to start. I have the top rated offense, but one of the worst rated pitching staffs (apparently a top 3 of Wood, Harden, and Beckett isn't highly respected).

Anyway, I'm the Sox vs. the Yankees. Lost game 1 of the opening series when I couldn't touch Randy Johnson. I jump all over Roy Halladay in Game 2 (including Casey Blake going deep twice). Rubber game, I'm up 2-1 going into the 9th inning, so I bring in Otsuka to close it out (with Billy Wagner warming just in case). Get a quick out. Otsuka hangs a changeup to Jose Vidro who deposits it in the bleachers. I'm a little frustrated, so I'm hitting the button to skip through the cut scene. Of course, that leads to me mistakenly throwing a batting practice fastball right down the middle to Mike Lamb. Game over.

Argh. Topping it off, I've lost Marcus Giles and A-Rod to injuries already. Thankfully, my infield is Pujols-Giles-Upton-ARod, with Bellhorn as a backup, so I'll still score some runs.
CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:32 AM   #435
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333
Todd- Think its worthwhile restarting a dynasty with the EA rosters and editing Bonds...this whole roster craziness is kind of scaring me, as I'm only 14 games into my owner mode.

I'm not sure. I did because some people were saying they weren't seeing the funky lineups with the EA roster. Again, personally I don't see how messing with some players would change anything, but I was restarting my franchise anyway.

Here's what I used for Barry Bonds.. courtesy of Gamefaqs:

Face: 14
Hair Color: 1
Hair: 1
Facial: 1
Bat Color: 7
Glove: 3
Elbow: 1
Shin: None
Wrist: 3 (too bad they aren't black)
Socks: Low
Batting Gloves: On
Stance: E.Chavez

I still think you'll see some goofyness later on, but I'm not worrying about it right now.

EF,

I agree with you, I just wanted a subtle tweak - although I have only had 1 triple with the Cardinals. I see more bloop singles with these and I was tired of seeing someone like Cedeno thrown out when the ss would bobble the ball.

Todd
Old 03-13-2005, 12:58 PM   #436
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Here's were I'm at tonight after some more games using db's as the base... I really need to get some sleep.

CPU MVP Outfielder Speed -5
Human MVP Outfielder Speed -5
CPU Manual Infielder Speed -5
Human Manual Infielder Speed -5

CPU Baserunning Speed +5
Human Baserunning Speed +5

I went up to +5 on the base running because bobbled balls were still getting fast runners out at first base. Also, a very fast runner will need a hard hit grounder to get a dp on. I still think that foul ball slider does something to the hitting, so I'm keeping it at 0 for now. My pitching still gives up plenty of runs, so pitching stays at defaults as well.

More playing tomorrow as the wife and kids will be gone all day.

Todd

I don't see a CPU MVP Outfielder Speed or CPU Manual Infielder speed?

Should it be CPU Outfielder Speed - 5
CPU Infielder Speed - 5
User OF Speed MVP - 5
User INF Speed MVP - 5?
Old 03-13-2005, 01:48 PM   #437
SackAttack
Head Coach

I finally got the hang of the batting mini-game in spring training. It seems that when they want you to go the other way, you need to adjust your stance to crowd the plate, and when they want you to pull it, you need to back up. Doing that, I managed to get Dioner Navarro and J.D. Drew +1 boosts to power and contact against lefties and righties, respectively.

Still working on the pitching mini-game, though. That's just obscenely hard to get the pitcher any kind of improvement, and all too easy to cost the pitcher ratings points.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:49 PM   #438
Easy Mac

FYI: If you don't have it yet, it is currently $20 at Toys 'r us
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:12 PM   #439
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Todd,

My skepticism was misplaced. I think the plus 5/minus 5 sliders work great after playing two games. Rollins did hit a triple in one of the games, but had 5 in 40 games before that. He is just fast and drives the ball into gaps well. I think there are less double plays, and it is more realistic amount. Also, I'm seeing more hits in the gaps and more bloop singles and hitting seems more realistic. Unfortunately, this means my pitcher's ERA is ballooning, but I'll live with that as my best pitchers will still do well I think.

In any case, my line in two games against Toronto with these sliders were:

Toronto 4 11 1
Philly 6 14 0

Toronto 3 10 1
Philly 5 12 0

I'm averaging about 2-3 more hits/game so far. Good stuff.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #440
SackAttack
Head Coach

Eaglesfan,

Where did you end up making the +5/-5 changes? What slider settings?
Old 03-13-2005, 03:56 PM   #441
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I don't see a CPU MVP Outfielder Speed or CPU Manual Infielder speed?

Should it be CPU Outfielder Speed - 5
CPU Infielder Speed - 5
User OF Speed MVP - 5
User INF Speed MVP - 5?

Yes, all the outfielder speeds to (-5) and the baserunning ones at (+5), I don't have the game on right now, but when you're playing a game go into the game tuning menu and look at running and fielding to make sure they are set correctly. Seems like you have them set right. I've seen some nice gappers as well.

Also, stadiums make a difference as well - fast outfielders will make a difference! Some of the infield play with these look realistic as well. Everything else looks fine to me. *Cosmetic, but I did turn the check swing frequency to "medium".

I plan on practicing more with the hitter's eye view as it's supposed to be easier to hit on.. but "center" is still much easier for me.

Todd
Old 03-13-2005, 04:25 PM   #442
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm doing well on hitter's eye. The big thing is training myself to take a couple pitches before I start hacking. My leadoff hitter is still struggling since he's not a power guy, but free agent pickup Rocco Baldelli is doin' real well in the #2 hole, and J.D. Drew is just flat out murder for opposing pitches.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:49 PM   #443
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Eaglesfan,

Where did you end up making the +5/-5 changes? What slider settings?
I put plus 5 on CPU and User baserunning speeds.

I put - 5 on both MVP and Manual infield speed for the user settings. I also put -5 on both MVP outfield and manual outfield speed user settings. I put -5 on both Infield and Outfield speed for the CPU settings (they only have one setting for the CPU for each of those areas which makes sense.) That is all I changed from default, and I'm finding that it gives more realistic infield plays. My fast outfielders with good range such as Abreu still make great plays. Jason Michaels is now a bit of a liability, but he still makes plays that he should. Burrell's fielding also seems more realistic as does Utley's at 2B. Utley is a good second basemen, but he isn't getting to everything like he was before which is more in line with his abilities in my opinion. In short, guys abilities still make a difference, but there are a few more hits per/game. Also, Abreu doesn't make almost impossible plays routinely like he did before the change.

One other slider that I'm considering changing is the error frequency. Errors seem to rarely happen in most of my games, but I haven't decided on that yet. Everything else is playing really well for me.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-13-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #444
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm doing well on hitter's eye. The big thing is training myself to take a couple pitches before I start hacking. My leadoff hitter is still struggling since he's not a power guy, but free agent pickup Rocco Baldelli is doin' real well in the #2 hole, and J.D. Drew is just flat out murder for opposing pitches.

Routinely taking a pitch or two is the biggest factor in my improved hitting as well. Unless the pitch is clearly grooved where I'm looking for it, I always take the first pitch (and usually the first few.)
Old 03-13-2005, 08:04 PM   #445
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I saw two errors the first game I played with these changed sliders, but maybe a tweak might be necessary down the road.

I'll try some more hitter's eye as I really want to use that view, but I hit many more HR's on the center view.

Todd
Old 03-13-2005, 10:50 PM   #446
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Routinely taking a pitch or two is the biggest factor in my improved hitting as well. Unless the pitch is clearly grooved where I'm looking for it, I always take the first pitch (and usually the first few.)

My rule of thumb is I take one, and if it's a ball, I take the 2nd, and if THAT'S a ball, I ain't swingin' til strike 2 unless it's grooved. Most of my walks have been of the 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 3-1, ball 4 variety, so I seldom take the bat off my shoulders past 2-0 against the CPU, unless he finds the zone enough to get to 2-2 or 3-2. If he goes 3-0 and then rebounds to 3-2, I find that more than half of the 3-2 pitches are balls anyway.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:20 AM   #447
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Been doing some more testing and I'm going back to the 3's fixes.

Meaning, All CPU and Human fielding (-3) and baserunning at (+3). Too many hits at 5, I believe and I've just had too many good games in a row with the settings back to 3's accross the board.

Todd
Old 03-14-2005, 01:31 AM   #448
FBPro
College Starter

Well, I think I'm gonna actually try and play some games out..........ugh...
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:48 AM   #449
SackAttack
Head Coach

I just spent about two and a half hours playing some spring training games and messing with the spring training mini-games as well. Couple of thoughts:

1) I think Todd's right, the -5's might be too much for fielder speed. I think +5 is about right for the baserunners, though (keeping in mind that I believe you can actually adjust the rating 40 points in either direction).

2) Is there anything more thrilling than being on the verge of elimination in the hitting mini-game, then knocking the lawnmower to just barely advance to the next round?

3) I made an inadvertent discovery in the pitching mini-game. I've been griping about how difficult the pitching mini-game is, but what I've been doing is trying to use it to improve my young pitchers, or guys like Duaner Sanchez who only have three pitches to begin with. The mini-game apparently gives three-pitch guys a 4th to play with, but not a 5th. What that means is that for average guys, you have to work around those black squares.

If you've got a quality guy, though, somebody who's got five pitches, the whole field is fair game. The black squares are just as combo-able as any other. Jeff Weaver and Eric Gagne just made the pitching mini-game look absolutely sick, with Gagne gaining +4 control to all five of his pitches, and Jeff Weaver gaining +5 control for his five.

Also, if you're having difficulty getting your pitchers to improve, you can start the mini-game on a lower level, using the same tactics, and it's like getting a free level towards the improvement of your pitcher (or at least preventing him from losing control, which can happen if you perform poorly).

I was speculating with Vince about the possibility, since the game gives 3-pitch guys an extra pitch, of repeated strong performances in the mini-game being a way for young pitchers to add to their repertoire. I figure it would have to take multiple seasons to do that, although I haven't tried to improve the same pitcher 3 times or 5 times or whatever in spring training yet. I'll keep it in mind for next season and see if it's possible to stack those bonuses, or if you have to be satisfied with one per player per season.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:41 AM   #450
henry296
College Starter

Some quick thoughts on the speed sliders. If it matters, I am playing on PRO

I have increased the outfielder speed because I was seeing too many balls get past Outfielders and roll to the wall of doubles and triples.

For me the key is the baserunning speed. last night. The reason for speeding them up comes from where I see the runners on base hits. In many cases they are half way down the line and very infrequently even have time to round first base. Here are some plays from my games I have slowed them down to 15 based on the feedback.

1. Juan Pierre hits one up the middle. Palanco has to dive and it is an infield single.
2. Every double play ball is a bang bang play at first base. You need to make strong throws in order to pull it off unless it is a rocket.
3. In field singles with speedy runners on balls hit deep in the hole at short when the Shortstop needs to jump and throw.
4. I did throw a runner out on a hot shot to third with the jumping throw animation.

Todd