Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-24-2005, 07:50 AM   #401
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
I think you're right. I believe Mikalah is worst singer in the history of AI may just stick around a little while.
Fixed that for ya............
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:53 AM   #402
KWhit
Coordinator

How is that different from what I said other than removing a couple of sentences?

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:41 AM   #403
Flasch186
Coordinator

so is it on tonight?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:41 AM   #404
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
so is it on tonight?

It's on every night it seems. Even if they have to replay the previous night it will be on.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:41 AM   #405
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
How is that different from what I said other than removing a couple of sentences?

It doesn't make sense anymore?
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #406
TRO
College Prospect

Nothing about Nadia's comments on Mario Vazquez? I quite enjoyed it myself and am very curious to see how the judges treat her going forward, Simon sure reacted badly to it.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:15 AM   #407
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
It doesn't make sense anymore?
Is it a new requirement that posts on here make sense.....?

Eliminates half the posts here
Old 03-24-2005, 09:24 AM   #408
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
Is it a new requirement that posts on here make sense.....?

Eliminates half the posts here

Heh, good point. Sorry for trying to hold you to a standard that none of the rest of us pay any attention to
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:52 AM   #409
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO
Nothing about Nadia's comments on Mario Vazquez? I quite enjoyed it myself and am very curious to see how the judges treat her going forward, Simon sure reacted badly to it.

I didn't quite understand it. Is he supposed to be the victim here, when he decides to quit because he knows he's the next Justin Guarini and hires Clay's attorney to get him out of a contract he was more than happy to sign a month ago, before he knew he was going to get free national TV exposure? As far as sympathetic causes go, I'd rather defend Donald Fehr.

If that's not it, what exactly was she trying to say? And what did the mohawk signify, anyway?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:53 AM   #410
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO

I didn't actually watch last night. What did she say?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:16 AM   #411
TRO
College Prospect

She said her mohawk was a tribute to Mario and then mentioned his name again right afterwards. I didn't understand the "tribute" part, but I took the way she said it as that she was very proud of him standing up against the AI machine. I took Simon's negative reaction (especially him saying that he didn't know what Mario had to do with anything) as he thought the same thing.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:37 AM   #412
Ksyrup

I just don't get that, though. Without AI, he'd be nothing. This idea that these people can sign a contract before they spin the roulette wheel requiring that they do certain things as a condition of moving forward, suddenly find themselves in front of millions of people thanks 100% to the show, and then decide that they can do better on their own after they've achieved a certain level of popularity, is disconcerting to me.

While I understand a contestant's concern over wanting to have some control over the direction of his or her career, I also recognize that none of these people had careers before they came on AI (certainly not to the extent they will now). This is basically the choice any music artist has to make - sign with the evil record company in order to make a record that will get promoted, or stay on their own and try to make it another way. I don't see why this is any different, other than these people have arguably done less than your typical artist to get the fame they've gotten so far.

I don't know, I just see it as - you take the bad with the good. Without the show, no one knows who Mario is. He shouldn't get the benefit of the publicity without providing something in return - like what he agreed to provide.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-24-2005, 10:38 AM   #413
KWhit
Coordinator

Exactly. Mario wasn't anything special anyway, IMO.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:56 AM   #414
tategter
High School JV

Quote:
Exactly. Mario wasn't anything special anyway, IMO.

None of the contestants are anything special. It's a karaoke contest for crying out loud!
tategter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:06 PM   #415
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
I think you're right. I believe Mikalah might just end up safe this week because her fan base has been galvanized to call and try to save her.

For instance, if you liked Mikalah and Anthony, this week you are going to call in for Mikalah because everyone knows she's likely to be on the chopping block.

She'll get a ton of votes simply by appealing to her fans last night too. The worst singer in the history of AI may just stick around a little while.

Sometimes, I root for the underdog. While I wouldn't go as far as to say she's the worst singer in the history of AI, she is very raw and is nowhere near being able to cut a record right now. She shouldn't win, and won't.

There are maybe 4-5 in that group who have any chance right now. My "campaign" is based on just liking her personality and hoping she displaces others (like Ozzie's kid, or Fedorov, or Savol, or the immensely overrated Nadia) who also have zero chance of cutting a record right now. Mikalah's entertaining. They aren't.

You look at other message boards, and about 50 percent of the messages are "I hate Mikalah." She dominates discussion. Honestly, I don't see much support for her, though the board I visit where AI is discussed has a very low percentage of teens.

As for this being a karaoke competition, I disagree. Certainly, the vast majority of the kids won't progress further than karaoke, but Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken have proven they have staying power in the industry. Even if the show never does anything more than discovering these two, it still validates the concept and has somewhat changed the entire music scene.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:27 PM   #416
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Sometimes, I root for the underdog. While I wouldn't go as far as to say she's the worst singer in the history of AI, she is very raw and is nowhere near being able to cut a record right now. She shouldn't win, and won't.

There are maybe 4-5 in that group who have any chance right now. My "campaign" is based on just liking her personality and hoping she displaces others (like Ozzie's kid, or Fedorov, or Savol, or the immensely overrated Nadia) who also have zero chance of cutting a record right now. Mikalah's entertaining. They aren't.

You look at other message boards, and about 50 percent of the messages are "I hate Mikalah." She dominates discussion. Honestly, I don't see much support for her, though the board I visit where AI is discussed has a very low percentage of teens.

As for this being a karaoke competition, I disagree. Certainly, the vast majority of the kids won't progress further than karaoke, but Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken have proven they have staying power in the industry. Even if the show never does anything more than discovering these two, it still validates the concept and has somewhat changed the entire music scene.

Agreed about Kelly and Clay. I also think both Bo and Carrie could have a long successful career in the industry.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:33 PM   #417
rkmsuf
Head Coach

It's hard to judge the relative talents of Kelly or Clay though. They were created by the show as icons. In and of themselves are they really that talented? If they weren't the "American Idol" would America give them a second look?

I see nothing special about either and they've gained fame from being in front of 20 million people for months. Sure they won the "competition" but America had to vote for someone.

I just find their "fame" somewhat artificial in spite of receiving America's votes. I mean if you shove people down your throat long enough, enough people will believe they are good. It's like running the same commercial over and over.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:46 PM   #418
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
It's hard to judge the relative talents of Kelly or Clay though. They were created by the show as icons. In and of themselves are they really that talented? If they weren't the "American Idol" would America give them a second look?

I see nothing special about either and they've gained fame from being in front of 20 million people for months. Sure they won the "competition" but America had to vote for someone.

I just find their "fame" somewhat artificial in spite of receiving America's votes. I mean if you shove people down your throat long enough, enough people will believe they are good. It's like running the same commercial over and over.

Doesn't matter. Commercial success in pop music has always resulted from a combination of talent and marketing...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:47 PM   #419
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
Doesn't matter. Commercial success in pop music has always resulted from a combination of talent and marketing...

Right but I guess this is a new level of marketing.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:52 PM   #420
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I can't speak for Clay Aiken because I'm not familiar with his work, but Kelly Clarkson is one of the better talents recording right now. She has an incredible voice.

On the other hand, AI 3 probably didn't produce a single contestant worth listening to. I think this season will be much better.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:53 PM   #421
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Right but I guess this is a new level of marketing.

True, it's a new vehicle for exposure--but still, winners are still at the mercy of the consumer after it is all over. Kelly Clarkson can legitimately claim stardom--it's been a few years since her AI win, but her new singles continue to do very well. Reuben, the second season winner, hasn't had the same commericial success...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:55 PM   #422
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I can't speak for Clay Aiken because I'm not familiar with his work, but Kelly Clarkson is one of the better talents recording right now. She has an incredible voice.

On the other hand, AI 3 probably didn't produce a single contestant worth listening to. I think this season will be much better.

I haven't been impressed with Clarkson live.

Maybe it's the low notes or something. It's either way low or yelling.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:55 PM   #423
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, like Ashlee Simpson would have gotten her break if her sister wasn't Jessica. Or the Ozborne kid would even be on someone's radar. The difference in AI is that people don't naturally have connections can obtain them if they turn out to be the best of a marginally talented group
Old 03-24-2005, 02:57 PM   #424
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I haven't been impressed with Clarkson live.
Tell me you didn't go to a Kelly Clarkson concert. Please, reassure me here.

It's OK to listen to their songs on the radio or even buy their CD. But a line has to be drawn somewhere

Last edited by Arles : 03-24-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:00 PM   #425
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
Tell me you didn't go to a Kelly Clarkson, concert. Please, reassure me here.

It's OK to listen to their songs on the radio or even buy their CD. But a line has to be drawn somewhere

No, no, no. On TV. Please, I have standards.

But so what if I did...

Last edited by rkmsuf : 03-24-2005 at 03:01 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:14 PM   #426
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:

But so what if I did...
You would earn 2 hours in a solitary chamber listening to Mikaleh sign a compilation of Babs and Taylor Dayne's greatest hits.

Hey, I think I've found a way to make the detainees in Guantanamo talk.... Nah, this would make Abu Ghraib look like Disneyland - no way it would be approved under the Geneva convention.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:00 PM   #427
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Paula's going to jail!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/24/abdul.ap/index.html
Quote:
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- "American Idol" judge Paula Abdul was charged Thursday with hit-and-run driving for allegedly fleeing after her car clipped another vehicle on a freeway last December.
The city attorney's office filed the misdemeanor count, which carries a maximum sentence of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

A message left for Abdul's spokeswoman wasn't immediately returned.

Authorities contend Abdul was driving December 20 on a highway about 15 miles northwest of downtown when she changed lanes and struck another vehicle, causing minor damage.

The driver and passenger snapped a photograph with a cellular phone camera and wrote down the license plate number of the car, which was traced to Abdul, city attorney's office spokesman Frank Mateljan said.

The National Enquirer and TV show "Celebrity Justice," citing sources they didn't identify, reported that Abdul told highway patrol investigators her car couldn't have been involved because it was in the repair shop that day. However, authorities reportedly found that the car went in for repairs the following day.

"We're not able to comment" on those reports, said Ricardo Quintero, a highway patrol spokesman.

stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:30 PM   #428
Ksyrup

I heard about this on the radio on Monday, but since no one brought it up I figured it was either overblown or untrue. I guess not. I told my wife last night I thought this whole thing was the reason she acting so strange with Simon Tuesday night, like she was trying to cause discussion about being all over him instead of this story.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #429
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

But so what if I did...

I found her national championship(college football...before ashlee simpson...god that girl sucks) was quite impressive...kelly has recovered in my mind from "From Justin to Kelly"
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:59 PM   #430
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Paula entered a no-contest plea and got a slap on the wrist. Yay!!! I love Paula. She's the sweet judge.

As for Mikalah, keep in mind that Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, and other teeny bopper style singers can't sing either. At least Mikalah has the potential to be a decent singer (she's shown signs of it). And, she has something that is equally important. She has charisma.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:23 PM   #431
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqFu
Paula entered a no-contest plea and got a slap on the wrist. Yay!!! I love Paula. She's the sweet judge.

As for Mikalah, keep in mind that Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, and other teeny bopper style singers can't sing either. At least Mikalah has the potential to be a decent singer (she's shown signs of it). And, she has something that is equally important. She has charisma.

Dude, you have got to be tone deaf . 50% of the notes she hits are wrong. She is not funny, amusing or even remotely entertaining. She is a real turn off to most and severly annoying. While Britney and Jessica may not be the best singers in the world, there on-show personalties do have some appealing factor. Mikalah has nodda, zip, zero !!!!!! That chick is straight up anoying.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:52 PM   #432
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolson
Dude, you have got to be tone deaf . 50% of the notes she hits are wrong. She is not funny, amusing or even remotely entertaining. She is a real turn off to most and severly annoying. While Britney and Jessica may not be the best singers in the world, there on-show personalties do have some appealing factor. Mikalah has nodda, zip, zero !!!!!! That chick is straight up anoying.

Ditzy? Yes! Annoying? Not to me. She reminds me of Fran Drescher. If she were legal, she would be my kind of girl. I love goofy chicks.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:01 PM   #433
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Ditzy? Yes! Annoying? Not to me. She reminds me of Fran Drescher.

You are so not helping your case right now.

Last edited by sabotai : 03-24-2005 at 08:25 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #434
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Based on last night's performances, I think they have the bottom 3 correct.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:29 PM   #435
Joe
Pro Starter

this is bullshit
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:29 PM   #436
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
this is bullshit

Why? It was time for her to go.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:31 PM   #437
TLK
Pro Starter

I demand a recount... I think someone screwed up again....

Last edited by TLK : 03-24-2005 at 08:34 PM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:32 PM   #438
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Why? It was time for her to go.

yeah, but do they really need to vote off the hot chicks at the beginning? that sucks. at least get rid of serial killer scott first.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:33 PM   #439
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
yeah, but do they really need to vote off the hot chicks at the beginning? that sucks. at least get rid of serial killer scott first.

Least Carrie and Vonzell are still in it. They are the two hottest women in the competition.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:39 PM   #440
Flasch186
Coordinator

sorry Jim

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:43 PM   #441
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
You are so not helping your case right now.

No kidding. Do we have an FOFC Baker Act?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:49 PM   #442
Danny
Head Coach

Yeah, because Scott is fat and not good looking, he must be a serial killer.

Mikalah deserved to go. I don't mind her personality and she is cute, but she can't sing.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:59 PM   #443
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
She reminds me of Fran Drescher.
Where is that barfing smilie?
Old 03-24-2005, 09:39 PM   #444
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Drickman
Mikalah deserved to go. I don't mind her personality and she is cute, but she can't sing.

She's had her moments of good singing, but that was early on. She's sucked the past few times on stage.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:51 PM   #445
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
sorry Jim

Hey, I tried. I was really going to do it up next week, too, if she had managed to hang on. I think we could have made a difference here at FOFC.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:58 PM   #446
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Hey, I tried. I was really going to do it up next week, too, if she had managed to hang on. I think we could have made a difference here at FOFC.

I got excited there for a minute when Federov was in the bottom 3.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:14 PM   #447
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I got excited there for a minute when Federov was in the bottom 3.

Well, Federov is clearly the person I'm rooting against next week.

Predictably (I called this from the auditions), I've slowly grown to despise him. Didn't mind him at first, but knew I would not like him later on.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:06 AM   #448
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

What's wrong with Federov? He's got a great voice. Never forget that Clay has sold more records than Ruben. That's who Federov is compared with and he has that same pure voice.

If Bo keeps singing like he has been, he will win Idol and be one of the best sellers. Carrie will sell lots of albums too, likely for a country label.

This is the best crop of Idol finalists ever. Even Mikalah will get a record deal out of this. She has charisma and isn't camera shy. If someone can write songs to fit her distinct voice she will sell well too. And to the naysayers, if William Hung can get a record deal, so can Mikalah. Mikalah however won't be marketed as a joke. I can't wait to buy her record.

I've only purchased Clay's album so far. I'm planning to buy John Steven's album and I have several legally downloaded Diana Degarmo tracks on my MP3 player. This year I look forward to buying album's from: Bo, Constantine, Federov, Savol, Carrie, and Mikalah. If Vonzell can sing like she did last night, I'll also buy her album. If Anwar can shine a bit more, I'll buy his. The rest of the singers don't impress me and never will. Since I like so many of this year's finalist, I'll probably buy the official AI album for this season.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:44 AM   #449
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
What's wrong with Federov? He's got a great voice. Never forget that Clay has sold more records than Ruben. That's who Federov is compared with and he has that same pure voice.

If Bo keeps singing like he has been, he will win Idol and be one of the best sellers. Carrie will sell lots of albums too, likely for a country label.

This is the best crop of Idol finalists ever. Even Mikalah will get a record deal out of this. She has charisma and isn't camera shy. If someone can write songs to fit her distinct voice she will sell well too. And to the naysayers, if William Hung can get a record deal, so can Mikalah. Mikalah however won't be marketed as a joke. I can't wait to buy her record.

I've only purchased Clay's album so far. I'm planning to buy John Steven's album and I have several legally downloaded Diana Degarmo tracks on my MP3 player. This year I look forward to buying album's from: Bo, Constantine, Federov, Savol, Carrie, and Mikalah. If Vonzell can sing like she did last night, I'll also buy her album. If Anwar can shine a bit more, I'll buy his. The rest of the singers don't impress me and never will. Since I like so many of this year's finalist, I'll probably buy the official AI album for this season.

/Shill
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:28 AM   #450
Ksyrup

ShaqFugottabekiddingme