Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-13-2003, 08:52 AM   #401
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I hate to be the bottleneck, but I can't get to my part until Tues.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:57 AM   #402
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quick and Dirty SCOUTING REPORT: Hawk Mountain Sharpshins

Offense
They have three pretty equal QB's, with differing talents. Look for preseason to be a tryout for who wins the job. No matter who wins, they will have a superstar to throw to in FL Mark Farrell. SE Jesse McHugh returns this year from injury and is a good alternative to Farrell, but not nearly as talented.

Look for Rookie RB Marco Huerta tp make an impact. He is already a pro level running back with Pro-Bowl abilities. The only knock on him is that he is a pure runner, with square stones for hands. He can't catch a cold.

The O Line is pretty solid at the tackle position, average at guard, and a little weak at center.

Defense
The defensive line is strong on the left, but somewhat weaker on the right. A strong side rushing attack should be succussful.
The linebacking group is fairly typical of the league, with talent and depth at SLB and MLB but holes at WLB. MLB Phil Worthy is better than most MLB's. The secondary is pretty good, with LCB Joseph George being a top notch cover corner. The other corner and the safeties are also better than average. Look for safety Burt Fyie to be among the leaders in interceptions.

Last edited by Buzzbee : 10-14-2003 at 06:52 AM.
Buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:04 AM   #403
Buzzbee
College Starter

Extremely Quick and Dirty SCOUTING REPORT: Sacremento Royals

Offense
Not very good at the skill positions, they have two pretty decent receivers, no good backs, average QB's at best, and a weak offensive line. We should have a good defensive day.

UPDATE: The two decent receivers are both Flankers. The SE is not very good, and since the SE will start, double-teaming the top WR should prove effective. We may give up a little to the 3rd WR, but we won't give up as much as we'll gain on the double-team.

Their Center is VERY strong, but the rest of the line is average at best, with their right side being the weakest. Look for Middleton to have a pretty good day.

Defense
They have some excellent talent at certain positions, but overall, we should win on talent. Players of note: NT Stanley Quesnel, SLB Clyde Dragos & Jim Money, LCB Norm Carr, and FS Shannon Regalia.

UPDATE:
They run a 3-4 defense built around their NT. The DE's aren't very good, but watch out for the RDE, Dominic Glenn. He was their top pick in the draft, and one of the DE's we were hoping we might get. They are pretty good at SLB as they have two very talented backers (Dragos & Money). However, even though they run the 3-4 they start a much weaker SILB (Riddock)rather than the backup SLB Money. It's a shame too, because Money has the potential to max out jsut about every category. As a result, they are soft at the ILB spots. If we can get past NT Quesnel (which is a BIG if) we should be able to get some good yardage.

LCB Norm Carr is the class of the secondary. However, the rest of the CB's are roster fillers at BEST! SS McKnight is a very good strong safety and can make the big pick when needed. However, he is overshadowed by FS Shannon Regalia. Regalia does everything well.

Last edited by Buzzbee : 10-14-2003 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:07 AM   #404
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
I hate to be the bottleneck, but I can't get to my part until Tues.

No worries. Until GT pays our bills, I think that it is prudent for us to focus on our day jobs.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:03 PM   #405
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
No worries. Until GT pays our bills, I think that it is prudent for us to focus on our day jobs.

His day job might have been on vacation today, as mine was But that is a very good point.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:27 AM   #406
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight

heh, I have to be at my day job to do the GT work.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:27 AM   #407
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
heh, I have to be at my day job to do the GT work.

Damn Government contractors!
Old 10-14-2003, 06:58 AM   #408
Buzzbee
College Starter

I updated the last two scouting reports since they were somewhat skimpy. Hawk Mountain report didn't change much at all. Sacremento was a significant update.

The only additional thing to look for as we sim those games will be key injuries.

Last edited by Buzzbee : 10-14-2003 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:15 AM   #409
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee

Hey now...and ditto what Fritz said.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:38 AM   #410
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:

I hate them too.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:55 AM   #411
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

damn it, the play calling interface was set to go.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:39 AM   #412
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

managing the preseason

since the D roster was not set, I decided to employ a "hide the stars" approach to preseason. We have a lot of young players on the field this year.

I have also made some strong changes to the gameplan. The run % is up, and the pass distance is much further out. Lets see where they play their S.

G1: Kitty Hawk 20 at Wheeling 17

Kowalski carried 15 times, but that is fine because Strong ran 13 for 110 yards. Ellison had 107 yards through the air. Mills was the star of the D. Duran is out for 4.

G2: Pensacola 24 at Kitty Hawk 31

Rapp had a 4 sack game. Rookie C Alston had 4 KRBs.

Manning, Mills, Plank - all out

G3: Kitty Hawk 25 at Lake Erie 35

G4: Fort Knox 35 at Kitty Hawk 29
Old 10-14-2003, 08:41 AM   #413
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

file 1
Old 10-14-2003, 08:42 AM   #414
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

file 2
Old 10-14-2003, 09:50 AM   #415
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Manning, Mills, Plank - all out

Tell us how long, man. Tell us how long!
Old 10-14-2003, 10:32 AM   #416
QuikSand
lolzcat

Injury Report:

Rondell Kowalski, FB - Knee Bursitis, Probable, full strength in about 1 week.

Bryan Manning, LDE - Hyperextended Knee, Probable, full strength in about 1 week.

J.J. Mills, SLB - Hyperextended Knee, Questionable, full strength in about 2 weeks.

Oscar Plank, MLB - Broken Foot, Doubtful, full strength in about 4 weeks.

Sam Upshaw, LDE - Concussion, Probable, full strength in about 1 week.

Kerry Satterlee, MLB - Strained Quadriceps Muscle, Probable, full strength in about 3 weeks.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:37 AM   #417
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Did people want me to sim the first four games tonight, or Fritz to sim them today? If so, I would like the questionable and doubtful LBs to sit in favor of their backups. (I don't have the file in front of me, so I am not sure who.)

Since it looks like most of the adjustments have to be on D, it may make sense for me to sim tonight., but I am cool with whatever. Fritz can send me any O gameplan changes based on the scouting reports.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:41 AM   #418
Buzzbee
College Starter

Thanks QS. At least none of them are serious.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:53 AM   #419
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I made my gameplan changes. I just need to forward the depth chart after we make cuts.

For the interested observer, the O plan is a bit extreme.

Those last two losses are all my fault. I was trying my best to cripple Kowalski and Diana.

As for simming, I can not spend any more time with game open today.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:54 AM   #420
QuikSand
lolzcat

A few notes from the preseason:

Some good running from RB Rob Strong, our forgotten man:

Code:
Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 24 Strong 13 110 8.4 27 1 24 Strong 9 45 5.0 12 0 24 Strong 5 6 1.2 3 0 24 Strong 7 23 3.2 12 0

That's 34 carries for 184 yards - a solid 5.4 ypc average. This guy is a pretty solid reserve - especialy bried at #3 on the real depth chart.

What we saw from QB2 Ethan Francis wasn't all that encouraging... but I'm not panicked quite yet. He looks good on paper - and in a real game situation, surrounded by our real weapons, he should have a better shot - if it comes to that. QB3 Tittle actually loked okay in limited duty - but its' tough to see him developing much beyond where he is - a #3 caliber guy.

LB Percy Rapp, presumably playing in the "Sam" slot and blitzing a good deal, had a four-sack game... but then put up marginal stans in each other game. Have to think that there is some promise for that spot - as Middleton is a far better pass rusher than Rapp seems to be.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:56 AM   #421
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Those last two losses are all my fault. I was trying my best to cripple Kowalski and Diana.

I figured as much... wasn't going to call you out on it, though.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:02 AM   #422
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Based on your conversion earlier this season, I think our #2 HB ought to be moved to WR. Only if we are going to keep him around though.

Last edited by Fritz : 10-14-2003 at 11:02 AM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:10 AM   #423
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Based on your conversion earlier this season, I think our #2 HB ought to be moved to WR. Only if we are going to keep him around though.

Harden???

Okay, here's what we'd see if we switched him... he would lose quite a lot of his current ratings, but would probably retain pretty good potential in most of his key areas. You'd see his rating in something like "getting downfield" drop from 80/94 to something like 20/70. Still might be a good player at WR... but there's a real cost, especially after a couple of training camps and a full season at the RB position.

At 215 lbs, he's a little bit heavy for the switch (look back - our last two switches went very well for the guy at 210, and so-so for the guy at 218) but would probably make it all right, but not fully intact.

In my view, he is far more valuable to us as a well-developed RB2, and possibly as an option to become our starter if we are in a salary pinch next season (if he would be cheaper than Finley). We can, of course, use him as a WR while leaving him in a RB slot... I have to think that the penalty for the out-of-position use would be less than the formal position switch.

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-14-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:18 AM   #424
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I figured as much... wasn't going to call you out on it, though.

I had that suspicion as well (Kowalski was actually pretty productive one of those games).

I'm guessing Francis does a little better when he's not heaving the ball deep every pass play. Though that didn't hurt the other guys quite as much.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:47 AM   #425
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
I had that suspicion as well (Kowalski was actually pretty productive one of those games).

I'm guessing Francis does a little better when he's not heaving the ball deep every pass play. Though that didn't hurt the other guys quite as much.

Francis should do very well in this system. We will see about Sparks.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:25 PM   #426
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
A few notes from the preseason:

Some good running from RB Rob Strong, our forgotten man:

Code:
Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 24 Strong 13 110 8.4 27 1 24 Strong 9 45 5.0 12 0 24 Strong 5 6 1.2 3 0 24 Strong 7 23 3.2 12 0

That's 34 carries for 184 yards - a solid 5.4 ypc average. This guy is a pretty solid reserve - especialy bried at #3 on the real depth chart.

I'm curious about Strong's career numbers. I noticed last pre-season that he had a couple of pretty good games. Do you think Strong is just that good at getting the yardage, or do you think it is a product of our fairly stout O Line?
Old 10-14-2003, 12:29 PM   #427
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Francis should do very well in this system. We will see about Sparks.

That's what I'd have thought, with his long ball ability. The int/accuracy might hurt him for a little while though.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:53 PM   #428
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
That's what I'd have thought, with his long ball ability. The int/accuracy might hurt him for a little while though.

The int part does not bother me as much with the long ball because of where they get the turnover. Likewise, I look at downfield throwing as something to offset accuracy problems. We should be okay if we can get 53 to 55%.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:59 PM   #429
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
I'm curious about Strong's career numbers. I noticed last pre-season that he had a couple of pretty good games. Do you think Strong is just that good at getting the yardage, or do you think it is a product of our fairly stout O Line?

By his ratings, I'd say the latter - he doesn't seem to have really standout skills (unlike Harden, who does). I suspect he's a product of our line to a sizable degree.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:01 PM   #430
cuervo72
Head Coach

Good point, as long as the long ball is long enough and returns are held to a minimum.

Al Davis would be proud....
Old 10-14-2003, 01:09 PM   #431
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
By his ratings, I'd say the latter - he doesn't seem to have really standout skills (unlike Harden, who does). I suspect he's a product of our line to a sizable degree.

during this preseason, I had our beefy line on the bench.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:11 PM   #432
cuervo72
Head Coach

So......who are our cuts, anyway?
Old 10-14-2003, 02:11 PM   #433
QuikSand
lolzcat

Are we running games tonight?
Old 10-14-2003, 02:16 PM   #434
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
during this preseason, I had our beefy line on the bench.

I think the same was true last season. Fritz's power was on the Fritz with Isabel, so I did the offensive depth charts for the preseason. If I remember correctly I benched most of our starters with the starting LT being the exception. Center was a tryout between Cicci and Perry. RG was Irv Wallace seeing if he would make the team. I can't remember who I used for LG or RT.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

Last edited by Buzzbee : 10-14-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:06 PM   #435
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I can probably run the first four games tonight. I will trust the group judgment as to cuts. If someone can make cuts today and post the new file, I will download it tonight play four games.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:23 PM   #436
QuikSand
lolzcat

Based on the expressed preferences of our coordinators and staff, here is a stab at the cut-down list:

RB Dennis Rivers
FB Peter Robinson
WR Eric Mixon
WR Nolan Irwin
G Karl Preston
LB Kerry Satterlee
S Grady Yamashita

I realize we drafted WR Nolan Irwin, but I just don't see how he competes for a job on this team. He'd be, at best, our 6th WR... with precious little chance to get any higher up than that, assuming Fritz can indeed get something our of his "trust me" pick Jefferson. I don't know what led to Irwin being drafted, but I see him as completely superfluous.

That might cut a little deeper than the OC would like - he may find it desirable to keep 3 FBs and 3 TEs (I rarely keep 3 of either one in my own careers), but I felt like cutting FB Robinson hurt the team less that cutting another linebacker, for instance, or one of our corners.

There's a rough draft - I defer tot he coordinators, though, if they can add/subtract from it.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:53 PM   #437
Buzzbee
College Starter

If I were making cuts, here are the players I'd cut:

1st I'd switch Eric Mixon back to RB, his natural postion.

Then cut:
RB Dennis Rivers
SE Nolan Irwin
RG Irv Wallace
RG Karl Preston
SILB Kurt Moe
MLB Kerry Satterlee
SS Grady Yamashita

RG Jerry Johnson makes RG Irv Wallace expendable. Also, Wallace is in the last year of his contract, with no bonus. Johnson has 3 years left with $550,000 in bonus each year.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:08 PM   #438
Buzzbee
College Starter

There is one small problem.

I was going through releasing players to see who I would suggest making inactive. When I got to SILB Kerry Satterlee I was not able to release him. Apparently the game won't let us release injured players.

Therefore we can't cut Satterlee until he is healty (3 weeks). This means that we will have to cut a healthy player that we otherwise wouldn't cut so that we can trim the roster to 53.

My suggestion if we really do want to cut Satterlee is cut either Kendrick Ellison or Chad Jefferson for the three week period and then if they are available when Satterlee is able to be released, pick Ellison or Jefferson back up.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:11 PM   #439
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

My suggestion if we really do want to cut Satterlee is cut either Kendrick Ellison or Chad Jefferson for the three week period and then if they are available when Satterlee is able to be released, pick Ellison or Jefferson back up.

We can't pick them back up, right? They will be mad at us forever?h
Old 10-14-2003, 10:12 PM   #440
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I see Fritz is online. I am making cuts now based on B & Q's recs. Do you need to change your depth chart tomorrow before I sim?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:18 PM   #441
cuervo72
Head Coach

What about DE Geoff Emerson? How do our numbers look at DE, and if they would be ok would he be deemed expendable? Or does he factor into the D plans?

I think they would be mad at us forever if we cut them, at least that's what I've found.

Can we put Satterlee on IR, and then cut him when he gets healthy? Can you cut guys from IR?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:27 PM   #442
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
There is one small problem.

I was going through releasing players to see who I would suggest making inactive. When I got to SILB Kerry Satterlee I was not able to release him. Apparently the game won't let us release injured players.

Therefore we can't cut Satterlee until he is healty (3 weeks). This means that we will have to cut a healthy player that we otherwise wouldn't cut so that we can trim the roster to 53.

If you were going to cut him, why not just put him on injured reserve? he's never going to play for you again anyway.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:38 PM   #443
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I did see the Emerson thing and I did cut him.

I did not even think of IR. That would have saved us a roster spot.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:45 PM   #444
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Mazatlan (19) at Kitty Hawk (34)

I geared toward stopping the pass, and they still passed for almost 400 yards. We also only got one sack and one interception.

Special Teams did well. Duran had 3 kick returns for 106 yards, and McNeil had 2 kick returns for 86 yards.

Finley and Harden were a perfect 1-2 punch on offense--Finley had 14 rushes for 56 yards. Harden had 13 rushes for 76 yards.

Sparks was 11-25 for 197 yards--a product of the new downfield throwing system, no doubt.

Song still managed 100 yards receiving exactally.

Daniels may be poised for a DPOY year. 10 tackles, 3 assists, and one sack.

Brian Manning is OUT with a knee injury--I think he took it too literally when we told him that he would have to replace Martin on our D.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:52 PM   #445
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I picked up C.J. Johnstone off the street to give us 3 atcive DEs. I don't know if that is a technical violation of our rules or not, but he sucks, so I did not do it for any competitive advantage.

He has an affinity with Littlejohn and low leadership (and we will probably cut him anyway when we can).
Old 10-14-2003, 10:59 PM   #446
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Kitty Hawk (17) at Louisville (24)

Who let the dogs out? There were nine sacks total in this game. They got 4; we picked up 5.

Duran had an interception return for a touchdown.

Sparks threw 3 picks, and both Finley and Harden were grounded.

Our D was set to stop the pass, and their #1 back ran for over 100 yards on only 15 carries.

I am somewhat distressed because we gave up a lot of yards through the air again (255).

I have been playing a pretty pass heavy D, but teams are still passing all over us.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:07 PM   #447
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Hawk Mountain (19) at Kitty Hawk (17)

We lost again.

Finley and Sparks did well when they got the ball, but only had 23 rushes between them.

They killed us with pin pricks--four field goals.

Longfellow (their RB) carried the rock 26 times for 102 yards. His longest carry was 11 yards. An Eddie George day at the park, and enough to control the clock and keep the ball out of our hands.

Weiley is out.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:15 PM   #448
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Sacramento (27) at Kitty Hawk (21)

These are not as fun to write when we lose.

Their QB had a field day--60% passing, over 300 yards, and 4 touchdowns.

We tried to establish the run--44 rushes total, but only for 3.2 YPC.

We were 8 for 20 on third down, so we seemed to face a lot of third downs (though we did convert almost 1/2 of them, so that is a positive and a negative).

We actually started this game with a two TD lead.

I am going to tweak the D a bit before I send the file back.

Tomorrow, people who can access the files may want to do a post-mortem of the team and see what we can do.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:24 PM   #449
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

File 1

(Before you point it out to me--dumb ass me messed up with Mills after he came back from injury. He has not been playing. My bad in a big way.)
Old 10-14-2003, 11:25 PM   #450
albionmoonlight
Head Coach