Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #401
General Mike
Pro Starter

Looks like Frank Cignetti is coming to Rutgers to coordinate the offense, unless he gets the Pitt or UConn head jobs.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #402
Swaggs
Coordinator

Long time Penn State assistant Tom Bradley is being mentioned quite a bit for both the Pittsburgh and UConn jobs. Not sure what to think on him, as he is in his mid-50s and has never been a head coach. He is well-thought of as a recruiter in Pitt's general recruiting area.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #403
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Looks like Frank Cignetti is coming to Rutgers to coordinate the offense, unless he gets the Pitt or UConn head jobs.

Between Hafley and Cignetti, Rutgers should have a good time paying Pitt back for all of the New Jersey recruits that Pitt got over the past few years. Those two should be really strong in Western PA.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #404
Logan
Head Coach

I'll be happy with Cignetti if he does take the job, even though he's had mixed results at Pitt. All I want is a return to the pro style offense which has worked so well, and a traditional OL blocking scheme, which I think in concert will help Savage get back to where he needs to be mentally. Most of the pieces are there, but the scheme and playcalling has prohibited execution.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #405
Logan
Head Coach

From a UConn player:

Quote:
"It really pisses me off because he made Jordan (Todman) address the team last night to say he was leaving. And he isn't man enough to do it face to face to us?"

"A lot of people were just really upset by the call. He made Todman get up and tell the whole team: 'Jordan, I think you have something to say to these guys.' He made him do it face-to-face. But he didn't do it face-to-face.

The player said they had seen Edsall this morning at the hotel. "He could have told us then, face-to-face."
Old 01-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #406
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'll be happy with Cignetti if he does take the job, even though he's had mixed results at Pitt. All I want is a return to the pro style offense which has worked so well, and a traditional OL blocking scheme, which I think in concert will help Savage get back to where he needs to be mentally. Most of the pieces are there, but the scheme and playcalling has prohibited execution.

Well I especially like the fact that he has experience as a QB coach in the NFL. All our other OCs have been WR types.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #407
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
F*ck

As a GT fan who got to have Ralph as OC for a number of years, let me just say, +1.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #408
MrBug708
Head Coach

Looks like Norm Chow will be out as OC of UCLA
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #409
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

So much for that contract extension he was promised. He F'd himself over in those negotiations.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #410
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
So much for that contract extension he was promised. He F'd himself over in those negotiations.

Actually, from what we understand, he did okay, considering what he was doing on the field. If the stories that have come out of the program are true (and there's usually at least a little bit of truth to them), Norm probably needs to retire, and what he's getting now is free money.

USC actually dodged one there.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #411
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Saw an article headline that said, "Maryland needs corvette, settled for an edsall." Ha!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #412
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Long time Penn State assistant Tom Bradley is being mentioned quite a bit for both the Pittsburgh and UConn jobs. Not sure what to think on him, as he is in his mid-50s and has never been a head coach. He is well-thought of as a recruiter in Pitt's general recruiting area.

Really can't blame Bradley and I really hope he gets his chance and succeeds.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #413
Logan
Head Coach

What has happened with Bradley where he's gone from "slam dunk JoePa successor" to hoping to get interviewed for one of these gigs?
Old 01-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #414
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
What has happened with Bradley where he's gone from "slam dunk JoePa successor" to hoping to get interviewed for one of these gigs?

Joe won't retire and I think he's getting sick of waiting around. They are walking a fine line between loyalty and moving on with Joe's status as coach. I really think it is a pissing match between the University and Joe with being stubborn and saying "I am calling your bluff to force me out." There is also a part of me that really believes Joe wants to stay around long enough to push the University' to hire his son as the next coach.

Also, I believe that there has been talks that the University wants to look outside the program for the next coach. So you can't really blame the guy for doing this.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #415
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh yeah, BTW, he got the extension he was promised. Agreed to in the summer and approved by the UC Regents just near the end of the season.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #416
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
As a GT fan who got to have Ralph as OC for a number of years, let me just say, +1.
When CU said he thought coach was going to the ACC, was there any doubt it was Clemson?
Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #417
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Also, I believe that there has been talks that the University wants to look outside the program for the next coach. So you can't really blame the guy for doing this.

I get the feeling it's more this than anything. Boosters are probably sick of playing second fiddle to Ohio State and watching talent from Pittsburgh/Philadelphia leave to go elsewhere.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #418
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Do you have a link to a story or board for this?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #419
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Actually, from what we understand, he did okay, considering what he was doing on the field. If the stories that have come out of the program are true (and there's usually at least a little bit of truth to them), Norm probably needs to retire, and what he's getting now is free money.

USC actually dodged one there.

Quote:
Oh yeah, BTW, he got the extension he was promised. Agreed to in the summer and approved by the UC Regents just near the end of the season.

I agree USC dodged one. Do you have a link about him actually getting the extension?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #420
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree USC dodged one. Do you have a link about him actually getting the extension?

Here you go.

http://www.bruinsnation.com/2010/7/2...es-to-contract

And, d'oh!

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5847484

Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #421
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Do you have a link to a story or board for this?

He won't be able to provide you with anything you can see, but I can vouch for what he saw. We both subscibe to an insider site with very good info, and the top source on that board has pretty much confirmed this there. But it's not for public consumption yet, and technically, Bug shouldn't have said anything.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #422
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
There is also a part of me that really believes Joe wants to stay around long enough to push the University' to hire his great great grandson as the next coach.

Fixed that for you
Old 01-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #423
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
He won't be able to provide you with anything you can see, but I can vouch for what he saw. We both subscibe to an insider site with very good info, and the top source on that board has pretty much confirmed this there. But it's not for public consumption yet, and technically, Bug shouldn't have said anything.

No worries, I just like to stir the pot at Cougarboard...we are without an OC, and this release comes at a weird time and we all know Doman is going to get the OC nod at BYU...I just like to get the conspiracy theorists going...they haven't taken the bait yet though...
Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #424
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm a free agent, just so you know.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #425
bronconick
College Starter

Charlie Weis is going to need a Gatorade IV for those noon September kickoffs in the Swamp.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #426
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Charlie Weis is going to need a Gatorade IV for those noon September kickoffs in the Swamp.

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #427
Ksyrup

Every time I see a picture of Weis I think of Don Imus' comment about Bill Parcells: "Tapioca-filled condom with a belt."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #428
Suicane75
Coordinator

Imagine those big sweaty titties in Gator Orange.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #429
Ksyrup

It's difficult imagine anything in Gator Orange, so...no.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #430
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post

Officially announced.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #431
Ksyrup

Is there a setting on the BS Meter high enough for Randy Edsall's "dream job" comment?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #432
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Is there a setting on the BS Meter high enough for Randy Edsall's "dream job" comment?

Yeah, what a joke.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #433
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
This response made me smile.
But dont fret yet, Tulsa OC Chad Morris is set to interview on Wednesday morning as well...he may be great but last year at this time he was guiding a Texas HS program.

I heard Chris Beatty contacted Clemson about the open RB Coach spot. Also talking to Maryland about a job there. He was WVU's RB Coach and has a reputation as a recruiter, but his recruits always seemed to have issues at WVU.

There's a chance anyone that hires him plucks a couple recruits from WVU, but overall I wasn't very impressed with what he did in Morgantown.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #434
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Yeah, what a joke.

I officially retract what I said earlier about Edsall being a decent hire for Maryland. The guy is another clown on a long list of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #435
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I heard Chris Beatty contacted Clemson about the open RB Coach spot. Also talking to Maryland about a job there. He was WVU's RB Coach and has a reputation as a recruiter, but his recruits always seemed to have issues at WVU.

There's a chance anyone that hires him plucks a couple recruits from WVU, but overall I wasn't very impressed with what he did in Morgantown.

I can guarantee that as of 15 minutes ago that Clemson's head coach nor their AD have talked to anyone regarding the Rb coach position.

The intent is to let the new OC have some say into that hire (or maybe super secretly move an existing coach to that position and then hire Caldwell to coach OL...but we can't talk about that until after signing day)

Apparently fat man "demanded" $1MM per year plus the guarantee that the HC would NEVER interject into play calling and that every play call would be made by Fridge.

Chad Morris Tulsa OC should be announced tomorrow. He and his wife are with a local realtor right now checking out homes in the area.

he makes ~$250k at Tulsa and his salary will triple...I hope they got this right.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 01-03-2011 at 06:12 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #436
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
When CU said he thought coach was going to the ACC, was there any doubt it was Clemson?

gotta admit this made me lol
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #437
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I can guarantee that as of 15 minutes ago that Clemson's head coach nor their AD have talked to anyone regarding the Rb coach position.

The intent is to let the new OC have some say into that hire (or maybe super secretly move an existing coach to that position and then hire Caldwell to coach OL...but we can't talk about that until after signing day)

Apparently fat man "demanded" $1MM per year plus the guarantee that the HC would NEVER interject into play calling and that every play call would be made by Fridge.

Chad Morris Tulsa OC should be announced tomorrow. He and his wife are with a local realtor right now checking out homes in the area.

he makes ~$250k at Tulsa and his salary will triple...I hope they got this right.

Did he have other job offers? $750K seems pretty ridiculous.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #438
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Both Detroit Free Press and Michigan Rivals website reporting Harbaugh highly unlikely to take the Michigan job. If he decides to stay in the college game, he will stick with Stanford.

Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh unlikely to bolt to Michigan | freep.com | Detroit Free Press
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #439
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

If I'm Harbaugh, I have to try the NFL. College jobs will still be there if the NFL doesn't work out, but opportunities to coach at the highest level don't come around very often. He would be crazy not to give SF or Denver a shot.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #440
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
Both Detroit Free Press and Michigan Rivals website reporting Harbaugh highly unlikely to take the Michigan job. If he decides to stay in the college game, he will stick with Stanford.

Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh unlikely to bolt to Michigan | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

There may be some truth to this, but until Harbaugh comes out and says it himself, anything is possible.

Quote:
Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #441
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The money being thrown at Harbaugh from the NFL (SF specifically) is absurd. He'd be a fool not to take it. I am not sure where Michigan goes from here but two rumored names are Gary Patterson and Pat Fitzgerald. Both are likely long shots so I suspect we end up with Hoke, which I am fine with but I know UM fans will riot over.

Apparently Brandon and Rich are meeting at 2 so I expect the opening to be official then.

My biggest fear in all of this was them putting their eggs in the Harbaugh basket and then fucking it up and having to conduct a search that ruins their recruiting class. I sense it is coming.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #442
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
The money being thrown at Harbaugh from the NFL (SF specifically) is absurd. He'd be a fool not to take it. I am not sure where Michigan goes from here but two rumored names are Gary Patterson and Pat Fitzgerald. Both are likely long shots so I suspect we end up with Hoke, which I am fine with but I know UM fans will riot over.

Apparently Brandon and Rich are meeting at 2 so I expect the opening to be official then.

My biggest fear in all of this was them putting their eggs in the Harbaugh basket and then fucking it up and having to conduct a search that ruins their recruiting class. I sense it is coming.

I am constantly amazed at the idiocy displayed by the Michigan athletic department. They fucked up the Les Miles hire a few years ago and got stuck with Richfraud, now they are fucking this up as well. I can't blame Harbaugh for going to the NFL over the Wolverines, and that isn't Michigan's fault, but I hope Detox is wrong and they have someone else lined up or this will be another PR disaster.

Quote:
Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #443
Ksyrup

Look on the bright side... Pitt and Maryland already set the bar high (or low) for fucking up a coaching search, so Michigan will have to work pretty hard to win that race.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #444
Ksyrup

What would the fallout be if they announce he's coming back? Worse than bringing in a second or third banana? That would obviously signal Harbaugh has turned them down.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #445
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
What would the fallout be if they announce he's coming back? Worse than bringing in a second or third banana? That would obviously signal Harbaugh has turned them down.

I think bringing him back would create a lot of animosity with the boosters and fan base in general. Especially after the 52-14 drubbing, I find it hard to believe Brandon would even consider it, but who knows....

Quote:
Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #446
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Fire in the streets.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #447
Swaggs
Coordinator

If they can't get Harbaugh or Miles (haven't even heard that he is in the picture), I would probably give Rodriguez one more season. Maybe he could get Randy Shannon to come in for a year and clean up the defense? I don't think they'll keep Rod, but with the type of personnel that they have, it is going to be a mess for another year or two, either way. Rod either turns it around or Harbaugh may be more amenable to leaving Stanford after one more season with Luck?

Hoke may be alright, but I don't really see him as a slam dunk. Ball State and San Diego State are one thing, but Michigan is another. Plus he is already 52 or 53 years old and his style and Rod's players may not match up very well.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #448
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

What about your DL coach? Seems that departure could have some immediate recruiting impact.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #449
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
If they can't get Harbaugh or Miles (haven't even heard that he is in the picture), I would probably give Rodriguez one more season. Maybe he could get Randy Shannon to come in for a year and clean up the defense? I don't think they'll keep Rod, but with the type of personnel that they have, it is going to be a mess for another year or two, either way. Rod either turns it around or Harbaugh may be more amenable to leaving Stanford after one more season with Luck?

Hoke may be alright, but I don't really see him as a slam dunk. Ball State and San Diego State are one thing, but Michigan is another. Plus he is already 52 or 53 years old and his style and Rod's players may not match up very well.

The last two games have hamstrung Rodriguez and Brandon. Let's say in an alternate universe, Michigan scores 17 more points in both games.

L OSU 24-37
L MSU 31-52

In that case you can go in front of the media this week and say "Rich and I have discussed things, and we agree that serious changes must be made on the defensive side of the ball, so we're going to wipe the slate clean, bring in a top notch DC and a dedicated special teams coach to go along with our top 10 offense, which moved the ball well this year despite its youth and lack of created turnovers." You can tell a guy that yes, Michigan plans to honor Rodriguez' full contract.

Instead, the offense crapped the bed in every way possible and RR's seat is white hot. What DC with enough recognition to save RR is going to take a job when he knows that if he doesn't work some serious magic and get the defense from 105th to about 60th and Michigan wins 10 games, he'll be looking for work next January anyway?

They may well keep him due to lack of options if Harbaugh turns him down. But I'd expect them to get their 5th or 6th choice of DC and sputter to a 6-6 record.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #450
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

My co-worker brought up the issue of him staying and I said it would be a huge embarrassment. Michigan, of all schools, unwilling to get rid of an obvious cancer and able to replace him even with somebody from SDSU? Demetrius Hart who is a number one all-purpose back and ever going back and forth between Michigan and 'Bama seems to have made the official switch to 'Bama. Michigan's class currently ranks 37th(Rivals) with a mere 13 recruits. Every year he stays the recruiting classes are going to be abysmal and puts the program back another year.