Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-15-2017, 06:34 AM   #401
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa hosts South Dakota in the NIT tonight.

Fun fact (at least for me). My Dad graduated from South Dakota in 57 and Iowa in 61. He is torn on who to cheer for tonight.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #402
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Watching GT vs IU.

Tums or Rolaids oughta put spots in this game, some real heartburn inducing action by both.

As an IU fan, mercifully the season is over now. Hopefully Fred Glass does the right thing and cans Crean. It's painful watching the turnover-fest with no defense.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #403
MrBug708
Head Coach

Alford, Alford, Alford!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #404
Kodos
Resident Alien

Dear God, no. IU basketball has suffered enough.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #405
MrBug708
Head Coach

Bring the prodigal son home!
Old 03-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #406
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm pretty sure that we will not be bringing him home.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #407
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
As an IU fan, mercifully the season is over now. Hopefully Fred Glass does the right thing and cans Crean. It's painful watching the turnover-fest with no defense.

Their ability to create their own turnovers was certainly ... interesting.

Obviously the most IU I've seen all year but from that one game they looked young and a bit ... well, the talent level wasn't what I'd necessarily expect from IU.

If that game was indicative of the season -- and the announcers seemed to suggest that it was -- I can definitely understand the frustration for fans.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #408
Kodos
Resident Alien

The game was very representative of the year. We had a couple of good wins against Kansas and UNC, but in general the team has been crap. They turn the ball over at a maddening clip, and they play little to no defense. If they don't get a quick score in transition, the offense is crap.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #409
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm pretty sure that we will not be bringing him home.

I didn't think we'd bring him here and yet we did in an act of desperation because our AD thought he was an up and comer.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #410
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just an update now that two of Mizzou's candidates are out of the NIT. Sounds like the current pecking order is:

1. Martin
2. Marshall
3. Crean

Sounds like Crean has quickly become the candidate that neither team (IU and MU) is totally sure they want, so they're both waiting on the other team to make a move. Martin is favored by the AD. Both Martin and Crean have already talked with Mizzou.

Marshall has suddenly become an option, mainly because of the slight by the tournament selection committee (he felt they should have received a better seed). He's started putting some feelers out to bigger programs is considering his options more seriously than in the past. The problem is that his team is still in post-season play and so Mizzou can't make any official overtures until he's done. So it becomes a game of cat-and-mouse as to whether Mizzou waits on Marshall and risks losing out on Martin/Crean or if they go ahead and take one of those two coaches knowing that Marshall is/isn't a sure thing. Mizzou could do this well or completely botch this really quickly.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-15-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #411
Kodos
Resident Alien

Someone on the 247 boards posted this:

"I don't have any info about the meeting tonight with Glass but I do have information that Cuonzo has accepted the Missouri job. I believe Illinois was also competing for his services. Just finalizing the details."

FWIW.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #412
MrBug708
Head Coach

If Missouri is the best job Marshall gets, he really must be a terrible interview. I have heard he is not well liked in the coaching community but it kinda seems like a lateral step. Better conference but probably a more difficult job and he'll be compared to a coach that he's already more accomplished than.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #413
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Marshall also already makes a fortune. A move would cost a lot of money.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #414
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Yeah, my understanding is the bidding starts at $4M/year.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #415
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Yeah, my understanding is the bidding starts at $4M/year.

Board has approved up to $5M for a coach. It's pretty clear Martin and Crean wouldn't cost that much, so you know where that money is targeted.

Mizzou is in a much different position salary-wise than the last time they hired a coach because Pinkel had a significant salary. Odom, our current FB coach, is only around $1M, so there's a huge budget there for a basketball coach now that wasn't there before. Don't get me wrong, there's clearly no guarantee just because the money is there, but it is a much different situation than three years ago.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #416
Kodos
Resident Alien

Please take Crean. PLEASE!
Old 03-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #417
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I would imagine part of Martin's calculus on taking the job would be seeing what happens with Romar. If he gets let go, then Martin can bring the Porters with him to Mizzou and get a helluva jump-start on recruiting.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #418
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I would imagine part of Martin's calculus on taking the job would be seeing what happens with Romar. If he gets let go, then Martin can bring the Porters with him to Mizzou and get a helluva jump-start on recruiting.

Yes. That and the fact that Martin has a squeaky clean image when it comes to the NCAA and any recruiting/program issues.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #419
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yes. That and the fact that Martin has a squeaky clean image when it comes to the NCAA and any recruiting/program issues.
From Martin's point of view, taking that job might not be as attractive if he can't also bring the Porters with him. He also has to be conscious of his job-hopping rep.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #420
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
From Martin's point of view, taking that job might not be as attractive if he can't also bring the Porters with him. He also has to be conscious of his job-hopping rep.

Outside of maybe the Illinois job, this is about the best gig he can get that gets him back close to home. It's only a 1 1/2 hour drive for most of his family to attend games. That's a pretty big draw for someone if they want to settle down. Having the Porter's would be great, but there's some local 2018 recruits, including a 5-star that's currently a verbal commit to SLU, that could easily be flipped by Martin.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #421
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He also has to be conscious of his job-hopping rep.

What, you mean that if he says something like this maybe you shouldn't believe him?

Quote:
"It's a beautiful place. I got off the plane and I just said, 'Ahhh,'" Martin said during his introductory news conference in Berkeley. "I think it has a chance to be special here. I think that's the most intriguing thing to me. It's a place I could spend the rest of my life."

There were few tears shed about his departure in Knoxville, I'd be surprised if there were many in Berkeley either. I saw a quote earlier that alluded to how he might raise your floor but there are questions about whether he has much ceiling. That sums it up as good as anything I think.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #422
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Well, things just got interesting. Martin just received a contract offer from Mizzou. 5 years, $17.5M. Reportedly he'll decide in 2-3 days.

Even more interesting, Adam Schiffer is reporting that Martin will be offering Michael Porter Sr. an assistant position at Mizzou if he takes the job. An AAU coach Schiffer is citing says that Mama Porter wants the family back together again in Missouri and that he's likely to take the offer if Martin signs the contract.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #423
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I read that Illinois could have some interest in Dan Majerle (currently coaching at Grand Canyon). I've always liked Majerle and he's done a pretty good job with Grand Canyon over the past couple years. They weren't even Div I a few years back and they were 11-3 in the WAC and 22-9 overall. With all the hand-wringing about small schools not getting home games, he got a home matchup with Louisville and only lost by 9. He also went to Tucson and stayed close to the Cats (only losing by 10). He's a big personality and a pretty good recruiter - would be an interesting hire for Illinois. He's very close with Jerry Colangelo as well, who also has Chicago ties.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #424
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Majerle's name has been floated up in Seattle as well if Washington decides to cut the chord with Romar.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:30 PM   #425
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Twitter says Martin resigned at Cal. So he's for sure gone.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #426
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sounds like Romar might have been fired. Im guessing Porter just resigned from UW?
Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #427
Atocep
Coordinator

Cuonzo Martin at $3 mil per?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #428
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Sounds like Romar might have been fired. Im guessing Porter just resigned from UW?
He had a two-year deal, so he got bought out. Romar is done. Player meeting in a few minutes, but word has already leaked. Not a surprise - things have been trending this way over the past week. Jen Cohen's thinking is just rip off the band-aid now.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #429
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Cuonzo Martin at $3 mil per?

Throwng stupid money at bad decisions. Why not just hire Porter to be head coach?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #430
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal beat Hampton by 16 to even their record at .500 and move on to the second round vs Loyola. MD also with a .500 record. Hoping for another home game.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #431
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Throwng stupid money at bad decisions. Why not just hire Porter to be head coach?

Martin would be huge for recruiting at Mizzou, and not just because of Porter. He grew up in East St. Louis and knows most of the AAU coaches in the area extremely well. STL has a huge amount of talent. If he and his assistants can restore that pipeline (which has been a huge problem since the latter half of the Norm Stewart years when he pissed off a lot of people in that area), Mizzou will do extremely well.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #432
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Martin would be huge for recruiting at Mizzou, and not just because of Porter. He grew up in East St. Louis and knows most of the AAU coaches in the area extremely well. STL has a huge amount of talent. If he and his assistants can restore that pipeline (which has been a huge problem since the latter half of the Norm Stewart years when he pissed off a lot of people in that area), Mizzou will do extremely well.

Norm didnt piss off a lot of people. He pissed off Floyd Irons. And Irons shut him out.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:20 PM   #433
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like Porter has been offered an assistant position. Kids are venting on Twitter about Romar being out.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #434
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Martin had two first-round guys at Cal for the past two years, and didn't exactly set the world on fire. He's not a bad coach, but his ceiling doesn't seem to be very high. What he seems to be best at is getting out of Dodge before fans figure out he's not that great and turn on him in a big way.

Maybe he's figured things out and will do better at Mizzou.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #435
tarcone
Coordinator

I remember when Iowa had George Raveling as HC. Great recruiter. But couldnt coach a lick. Iowa got rid of him and hired Dr. Tom Davis. Great coach. But couldnt recruit.

Davis took Raveling recruits and went 30-5. Choked away a big halk time lead to UNLV. Should have won a National title that year.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:40 PM   #436
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Jeebus - there are Husky fans on the Scout boards seriously discussing Washington getting Gregg Marshall because his wife is from the state. Uh, guys - Chris Petersen makes $3.2M per year. Marshall is going to cost closer to $4M to pry away from Wichita State. Washington isn't going to pay their men's basketball coach more than their football coach. Archie Miller isn't coming either.

Look, I think the Washington job could become one of the better ones in the country. Great school, Seattle is rapidly becoming one of the most desired places to live in the country, terrific local talent pool, no NBA team to compete with - but they need the right guy to get things going. That had been Romar, but then he lost his way.

Right now this is a 'fixer-upper' job - one with a ton of potential, but also a lot of work to get there.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:45 PM   #437
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Here's to hopefully a bright future for Mizzou basketball!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #438
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Jeebus - there are Husky fans on the Scout boards seriously discussing Washington getting Gregg Marshall because his wife is from the state. Uh, guys - Chris Petersen makes $3.2M per year. Marshall is going to cost closer to $4M to pry away from Wichita State. Washington isn't going to pay their men's basketball coach more than their football coach. Archie Miller isn't coming either.

Look, I think the Washington job could become one of the better ones in the country. Great school, Seattle is rapidly becoming one of the most desired places to live in the country, terrific local talent pool, no NBA team to compete with - but they need the right guy to get things going. That had been Romar, but then he lost his way.

Right now this is a 'fixer-upper' job - one with a ton of potential, but also a lot of work to get there.

Jim Basnight @jimbasnight

The Pac-12 is hoping that they fire Romar so UW doesn't get all of these guys.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #439
wustin
College Prospect

Man I feel sorry for Washington fans and their students. They were probably looking forward to Fultz joining Murray and Chriss but those two left. Now they're losing Fultz and Porter is likely going to Missouri.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #440
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

It's kind of outrageous for a program as big as Washington to hire a guy who has a year of HS coaching experience, but if it ever made sense Brandon Roy to UW is that one in a million. As a complete neutral, I'd like to see it happen!

UMass also finally cut the cord with alum Derek Kellogg. Our AD tends to play things close to the vest, but his hires on paper have been great so far, so I'll trust him. Guys like Keatts (UNCW) & Cluess (Iona) are the ideal guys, but we can't win a bidding war with a high-major (we'll probably end up paying $900k-1m/y). Waltah McCarty (4 year assistant under Brad Stevens with the Celtics) the somewhat big name that might be in the mix. I just really hope we don't go for a "proven" power conference coach who was pushed out at his last job (some fans will push for alum & ex-BC coach Al Skinner I'm sure), but I don't think Bamford is dumb enough to go that route.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #441
Logan
Head Coach

Geez, what happened to Providence last night? They were killing USC when I turned it off.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #442
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Crean is out at Indiana
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #443
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm happy that they pulled the trigger and fired him, but sad that things didn't work out with him. He came at a time when the IU job was not all that enticing. He turned around a real bad culture in IU b-ball (rampant drug use, poor grades), but was never able to achieve sustained success. I hope he does well wherever he ends up. I know he had a lot of idiosyncrasies, but I think he's a good man.

Now please let Fred Glass nab Billy Donovan...

Last edited by Kodos : 03-16-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #444
spleen1015
Coordinator

Indiana's problem is they think they are still a top program and they're not. The coach they need to get them back there won't take the job, so they're not going any where. IU fan is delusional, not necessarily you Kodos, but the fan base in general. I hear their BS every day.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #445
Kodos
Resident Alien

Well, I think fans are what drove this move. Fans were not satisfied with reaching a sweet 16 every few years. Certainly watching a team that was careless with the ball and played little defense was frustrating. Maybe the move will bite us in the ass, but at least Indiana is still trying to regain lost glory. Will the move be successful? Who knows. I'm happy to have a reason to hope. It felt like Crean had taken us as far as he could.

Multiple insiders are saying that Donovan may actually happen. Reportedly, several coaches are interested. (Yes, Alford is one of them.)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #446
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Indiana's problem is they think they are still a top program and they're not. The coach they need to get them back there won't take the job, so they're not going any where. IU fan is delusional, not necessarily you Kodos, but the fan base in general. I hear their BS every day.
If Illinois is dangling big-time money at Tony Bennett, then Indiana should too.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #447
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Off hand I kinda hate it for Crean that he got axed but after watching them the other night I understand why he got axed.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #448
Kodos
Resident Alien

I give him all the credit in the world for coming when nobody else wanted to. I hate that it didn't work out for him like he dreamed. IU b-ball fans are hard to please. He knew that coming in, and came anyway. He took the shot. God bless him for it. I'm sure there must be some relief for him to be out of the pressure cooker. I hope he finds a long run of success somewhere. Someone mentioned that he might have a good job as a broadcaster.

Edit: And yes, there are a lot of IU fans who I have to roll my eyes at. I guess all teams have their share of nuts. The fans who took personal shot after shot at Crean should go away. IU basketball hasn't really been very relevant since the mid-90s. Maybe the next guy can change that.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-16-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #449
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't think IU fan understands how hard it is to find that 30 year coach who's going to lead your team deep into the tourney every year. I also don't think Crean was liked very much from the beginning, at least not by the IU fans that IU work with. I thought he would do exactly what he did, get them back into the tourney and be decent.

Lots of folks in my office want Greg Marshall.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #450
Kodos
Resident Alien

Donovan, Marshall, and Bennett seem to be at the top of the wishlist on the 247 board. A lot of people think Glass wouldn't go for Marshall because he can be a jerk at times. (After Knight and Wilson, I think Glass wants somebody who is not a hardass.)