Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #401
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

When will teams learn that you can't give a team a long FG attempt by doing these squib kicks at the end of the game? You've got to kick it deep and take your chances.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #402
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I hate this, and I see it time after time. Short kickoff, and they only need a short distance to be in field goal range.

yeah, I totally agree. I hate the short kick here.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #403
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Going to OT! Good series by Tennessee to keep themselves in it. Yes, I hate those short kicks in situations like these, too. Should have booted it out of the endzone and forced them to go forward from the 20.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #404
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I love college OT.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #405
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It's on. We're going extras. I'm always torn between how weird college football overtime is, but how fun it can be at the same time. It's certainly not going to help my gastro-intestinal health.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #406
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When will teams learn that you can't give a team a long FG attempt by doing these squib kicks at the end of the game?

I don't know, pretty defensible decision in this case I think.

Lincoln finished last season 1 for 5 and had a pair of not even close misses tonight, making him 1 for his last 7 from 40+.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #407
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I'm not a fan of either team, but I'm going to be disappointed if UCLA loses this one.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #408
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It's on. We're going extras. I'm always torn between how weird college football overtime is, but how fun it can be at the same time. It's certainly not going to help my gastro-intestinal health.

The only change I'd make is maybe move it back to the 30 or 35.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #409
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Heh. UCLA seems to be one half off, one half on, and now in the "third half" off again.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #410
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

All right, kick the FG, and get the D out there.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #411
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
The only change I'd make is maybe move it back to the 30 or 35.

That would be a good change.

One advantage is with our kicker (not that long FGs will really be needed here), but we do have a good one.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-01-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #412
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

All right, let's block this one!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #413
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Missed it!!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #414
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

YES!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #415
MJ4H
Coordinator

you could see that coming a mile away
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #416
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

AWE

SOME

Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #417
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And that's what Lincoln has looked like for nearly half a season now.

Grats CR, UCLA did what they had to do.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #418
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Congrats UCLA.. and would someone pass the ketchup? I need to eat some words here
Old 09-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #419
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
you could see that coming a mile away

I didn't want to say nothing to jinx it, but, yeah, sorta thought so, too.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #420
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Great win for UCLA. Congrats to their team and their fans.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #421
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And that's what Lincoln has looked like for nearly half a season now.

Grats CR, UCLA did what they had to do.

Thanks, JIMG, at least this isn't your main team. And as crappy as it is, it's a nonconference road game. It matters little to you unless you thought you were going for the national title (and even then it's not out, given last year).

Old 09-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #422
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am going to be in my car on the way to work tomorrow well before 6 a.m. PDT, so that I catch every word of that ass Colin Cowheard tomorrow. All week last week he was calling this a blowout. Fuck that guy. He has a whole West Coast hour from 6 to 7 a.m., and he's going to be eating crow the whole time.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #423
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I just found out why we won. John Wooden was in the stadium.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #424
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I am going to be in my car on the way to work tomorrow well before 6 a.m. PDT, so that I catch every word of that ass Colin Cowheard tomorrow. All week last week he was calling this a blowout. Fuck that guy. He has a whole West Coast hour from 6 to 7 a.m., and he's going to be eating crow the whole time.

Cowheard is a moron and most likely he will find a way to either deny it or not talk about it at all.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #425
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Grats to UCLA and as a BYU fan, this team scares the hell out of me...unless 1st half Craft shows up.

I have only seen him play one other time like he did in the 2nd half and he torched BYU all game long when he did.

Wow is all I can say.

We have Washington then UCLA heads to Provo.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 09-01-2008 at 11:08 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #426
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Grats to UCLA and as a BYU fan, this team scares the hell out of me...unless 1st half Craft shows up.

I have only seen him play one other time like he did in the 2nd half and he torched BYU all game long when he did.

Wow is all I can say.

Not sure yet what to make of the game two weeks from now. It feels like we have played you guys enough, you know? And you must be just as sick of us.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #427
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Cowheard is a moron and most likely he will find a way to either deny it or not talk about it at all.

Hopefully his helpers call him on it then. He usually takes calls, too, in that hour when he's not talking out of his ass (so maybe five minutes), so at least one of those calls will have to be a UCLA fan.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #428
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Not sure yet what to make of the game two weeks from now. It feels like we have played you guys enough, you know? And you must be just as sick of us.

I am, but a lot of the fan base originally wrote the game against you as a win based upon the injuries, but the fight that was shown tonight is scary. And our games have all been close.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #429
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... what a game. That Craft guy really pulled it together in the 2nd half, eh?

Well, he was 3rd string and obviously uncomfortable in the 1st half.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #430
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am, but a lot of the fan base originally wrote the game against you as a win based upon the injuries, but the fight that was shown tonight is scary. And our games have all been close.

Yup, I figure this one will be close, too, especially if the players who got hurt tonight are able to get back on the field, particularly Paulsen and Bell. I think UCLA will feel like they have unfinished business after Las Vegas last year.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #431
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Grats to UCLA and as a BYU fan, this team scares the hell out of me...unless 1st half Craft shows up..

Yeah, I remember watching the Las Vegas Bowl last year. UCLA had a 3rd string QB and a puppet head coach, yet BYU had to block a field goal at the end of the game to preserve the win.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #432
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We have Washington then UCLA heads to Provo.

Is Washington your first game?

That's a good one to get the first game jitters out of the way. Washington also will have Pac 10 sized players, even if they suck. But then BYU always struck me as a Pac 10 program trapped in a lesser conference, so that shouldn't make a difference.

Point is, you should beat Washington and come home to a hungry crowd as a tested football team. No easy task for any team, much less UCLA.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #433
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I remember watching the Las Vegas Bowl last year. UCLA had a 3rd string QB and a puppet head coach, yet BYU had to block a field goal at the end of the game to preserve the win.

Yup. That third stringer is now a sixth stringer (counting Cowan and Olson, fourht not counting). The puppet head coach is back the D coordinator. But we lost a lot of talent, particularly on the line and at spots on the D. And I think BYU more or less got stronger.

But, yes, it will be a much stronger overall coaching staff.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #434
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Washington also will have Pac 10 sized players, though their head coach sucks.

Fixed that for you...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #435
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Fixed that for you...

You know, you're right, dawg. I actually like a lot of your players. But TyWill is the ultimate in suck. I'm sorry you have to go through that. We got rid of our "suck" last year.

On the bright side, maybe you'll hire Walker away from us next year.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #436
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

The OU/Washington game has me worried, especially the Pac Ten officiating and replay crew.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 AM   #437
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Phat Phil, classy in defeat:

"They were crying about the quarterback situation; I knew darn well they'd be ready for us," Fulmer said. "We made enough mistakes tonight to fill three or four games.

"We will play better teams than UCLA is, and I know we're a better team than we were tonight."
Old 09-02-2008, 12:46 AM   #438
timmynausea
College Starter

The NCAA really needs to redo this supposedly non-existent comeback code. I've never seen a more clear cut case of a flipped switch than Craft's 4 INT first half to 2nd half hero. Total BS.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:52 AM   #439
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
The NCAA really needs to redo this supposedly non-existent comeback code. I've never seen a more clear cut case of a flipped switch than Craft's 4 INT first half to 2nd half hero. Total BS.

There's no way that Tennessee would have lost that game if Cooleyvol did the simulation.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:29 AM   #440
MrBug708
Head Coach

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hell of a game, took me almost two hours to get home and I live 10 miles from campus!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:41 AM   #441
clemsonfan
High School JV

I'm so sad. Hopefully Tommy won't stay too much longer. I could scream when I think about last year's contract.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 AM   #442
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post
I'm so sad. Hopefully Tommy won't stay too much longer. I could scream when I think about last year's contract.

Georgia Tech fans felt the same way when the outgoing AD extended Chan Gailey's contract. New AD fired him anyway. If Tech can afford it (and trust me, they really can't), Clemson should have no problem eating that extension if they really want to.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:09 AM   #443
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Congrats to the UCLA fans. Tough loss for us there. Crompton was too erratic. He has to be more effective in order for the Vols to win.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #444
Logan
Head Coach

Wow, looks like I missed a good one while recovering from Rutgers-Fresno.

Man we played like shit. Just left way too many points on the field in the first half; Fresno looked like they knew they had it won going into the locker room at 0-0. McNulty quickly reverted back to his way-too-conservative playcalling that he showed off when we struggled last year. Too much running on 1st down (with zero 1st down play-actions), too many stretch plays (they didn't work with Ray Rice, they won't work with Young and Robinson), and just not enough passing in general. Teel wasn't good -- not stepping into throws, not audibling when there's 10 in the box and Britt has single-coverage, automatically progressing to the 2 yard route on 2nd and long.

The defense was actually pretty solid I thought, save for the blown coverage on two plays that lead to Fresno's first 10 points. And that horrible defense on the 3rd and 23 play, where a stop probably wins us the game given the momentum at that point. The good sign is that our LB play was awful last year, and with D'Imperio healthy and Abreu in the lineup, the LBs looked great.

Big test on 9/11 vs UNC. Our offense better do what it is capable of or it's going to be a long season.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #445
Celeval
Pro Starter

Wow, wish I tuned in to that one for the end.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #446
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh ya, I sat 2 seats over from Jason Kapono and his wife, that was pretty cool. Kapono ditched his wife there at halftime though, from what I can tell, she was pretty nice considering she's an NBA players wife.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #447
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Beamer just announced that Tyrod is redshirting...ugh.
...and Beamer just announced that the redshirt is off Tyrod. A week too late, but at least that means we don't have to sit through any more of Glennon.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #448
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
On the bright side, maybe you'll hire Walker away from us next year.
I think Walker definitely deserves a shot and should be on the list, though I'd prefer getting someone that already has head coaching experience.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #449
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
...and Beamer just announced that the redshirt is off Tyrod. A week too late, but at least that means we don't have to sit through any more of Glennon.

Does Beamer get a pass on this decision? That's ridiculous.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #450
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Does Beamer get a pass on this decision? That's ridiculous.
Meh...as long as he got it right in the end, I'm happy. I mean, it's not like we were going to be competing for anything this season anyway...regardless of which one was going to see time at QB. We're young everywhere else, so I think if we're going with youth at every other position, it only makes sense to go young with our QB, as well.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote