Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #401
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My understanding is that Ben deleted the second thread, MJ4H posted his comment in the cooll images thread, and Ben boxed him, within a matter of a few minutes of each other. I'm not going to speak for Ben, but if MJ4H doesn't post his comment, he still gets boxed based on the rules of the forum.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #402
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Yeah, I don't know. It hasn't really been made clear what happened. The "for" people have said it linked to his page. Either I have tinted glasses, or the "against" side hasn't really explained what the situation was.

This is my favorite post of the thread, given the context.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #403
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Did you see the pics in that thread? They were way different than that ScarJo pic.

But all I'm trying to say is that someone who has been around as long as Matt has should have known better.

Yup, I saw them. How were they different? There was no nudity in any of them and and all featured well endowed women wearing clothes.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #404
stevew
Hall Of Famer

what the fuck is wrong with you people?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #405
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My understanding is that Ben deleted the second thread, MJ4H posted his comment in the cooll images thread, and Ben boxed him, within a matter of a few minutes of each other. I'm not going to speak for Ben, but if MJ4H doesn't post his comment, he still gets boxed based on the rules of the forum.

says who? besides, that's not what happened
Old 07-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #406
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I'm positive someone has posted a link to google before.

You realize that's a laughable reach, even for someone trying to defend the stupidity of a now former poster, right? And I say stupidity because the outcome of the sequence of events seems pretty predictable to me.

Again, aside from this specific point, is it really that difficult to grasp that we all have posting privileges here solely at the discretion of TPTB? I guess that's what boggles my mind, considering how often I've been in vehement disagreement with Ben on matters here and yet I've managed to not only grasp that reality but find ways to cope with it. And yet that seems to be so shocking to some folks here that being confronted with reality sparks some of them into a snit fit. Do we really have that many regulars who are that naive about how the 'net works?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #407
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

+1
Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #408
Logan
Head Coach

How many lives is this thread on now? Three or four? I love it.

edit: That's a bicep, not a boob.

Last edited by Logan : 07-14-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #409
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Yup, I saw them. How were they different? There was no nudity in any of them and and all featured well endowed women wearing clothes.

Many of them were wearing far more revealing clothing than ScarJo is wearing in that pic.

Anywho, I'm not going to get into a debate with you, Chubby. I know there's no changing your mind when you think you're right about something...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #410
spleen1015
Coordinator

Skydog the dictator strikes again!

Please don't ban me. I need access to FOOL-X.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #411
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You realize that's a laughable reach, even for someone trying to defend the stupidity of a now former poster, right? And I say stupidity because the outcome of the sequence of events seems pretty predictable to me.

Again, aside from this specific point, is it really that difficult to grasp that we all have posting privileges here solely at the discretion of TPTB? I guess that's what boggles my mind, considering how often I've been in vehement disagreement with Ben on matters here and yet I've managed to not only grasp that reality but find ways to cope with it. And yet that seems to be so shocking to some folks here that being confronted with reality sparks some of them into a snit fit. Do we really have that many regulars who are that naive about how the 'net works?

Of course not. I don't think anyone is expecting something to happen as a result of this. We're just giving our opinions on it -- no different in my mind than all sorts of other threads all up in this forum questioning some coach or GM's decision. It gets more heated and personal since we "know" (or feel like we know) the people involved, but IMO it's essentially the same thing.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #412
Ksyrup

Quote:
Right, but you used that term to talk about the actions he made before he was boxed. I'll grant you that he flew off the handle after he was boxed, but you're using that to paint him as doing some crazy things which led to him being boxed. And again, I don't know the timeframe, but my guess is that since he didn't get a response, and didn't expect one, he figured he might as well just repost it himself, rather than wait around for Ben to do it, since that might be a while.

But yeah, not a matter of life and death -- I expect zero casualties.

Why shouldn't he have expected a response? There are a number of things he could have done before reposting the thread and referencing the pics in any way. Again, he could have recognized that he was only dealing with one mod, on a weekend, and had a little patience. Or, he could have tried reaching out to one of the other mods if he saw one or more around. Bottom line, he should have known better than to take the chance he took before he clarified what was acceptable. I'm sorry he got boxed and I hope he doesn't leave because I like him and enjoy his posts in the AI thread, but he brought this on himself.

In any event, to answer your original point, I'll grant that I shouldn't have used that phrase to describe what occurred prior to his boxing. I still don't think he acted appropriately, given the circumstances. And again, it's for that decision that the boxing happened.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #413
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

You can say that about anything. There's posts on this board about Iran, North Korea, the NBA Draft, politics, wrestling etc. Nobody has the ability to change any of that, it is what it is, but people still voice opinions (including you). I don't know why forum moderation is one area that's just SO set in stone that any opinion on it is pointless to raise.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #414
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

I don't know, what the fuck is wrong with you.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #415
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I could use another inch on my penis and I'm balding, but other than that...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #416
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Why shouldn't he have expected a response? There are a number of things he could have done before reposting the thread and referencing the pics in any way. Again, he could have recognized that he was only dealing with one mod, on a weekend, and had a little patience. Or, he could have tried reaching out to one of the other mods if he saw one or more around. Bottom line, he should have known better than to take the chance he took before he clarified what was acceptable. I'm sorry he got boxed and I hope he doesn't leave because I like him and enjoy his posts in the AI thread, but he brought this on himself.

In any event, to answer your original point, I'll grant that I shouldn't have used that phrase to describe what occurred prior to his boxing. I still don't think he acted appropriately, given the circumstances. And again, it's for that decision that the boxing happened.

I do think the phrasing is at the crux of the issue, though. AFAICT, the poker content is what was good about the thread, and MJ4H was just asking to have it reposted so that he wouldn't have to bother doing it himself, not for permission. Since no one was around to make it easier for him he did it himself.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #417
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Many of them were wearing far more revealing clothing than ScarJo is wearing in that pic.

Anywho, I'm not going to get into a debate with you, Chubby. I know there's no changing your mind when you think you're right about something...

pot, kettle, black?

They were all booby pics
Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #418
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

I died in Werewolf.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #419
Ksyrup

Quote:
I do think the phrasing is at the crux of the issue, though. AFAICT, the poker content is what was good about the thread, and MJ4H was just asking to have it reposted so that he wouldn't have to bother doing it himself, not for permission. Since no one was around to make it easier for him he did it himself.

I don't have a problem with that at all. I only saw his twitter account post once before it was deleted in this thread, but I'm fairly certain he posed a question back to Ben about what was acceptable to do with the pics and can't he just put the content back (or something to that affect), right? If all he had done was repost the content, I'm positive the thread wouldn't have been deleted and fairly certain he wouldn't have been boxed. And just to anticipate the comments, NO I CANNOT KNOW THAT FOR CERTAIN BECAUSE I DO NOT WEAR THE PATRIOTIC UNDERWEAR AROUND HERE.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-14-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #420
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Here's all I've determined about this thread:

Acceptable:
Use of the word "cunty" and "penis"
Links to pictures of hot women and their breasts from "reputable" sites

Unacceptable:
Links to Twitter

Which do you think filters would have more of a problem with?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #421
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Verbal links to twitter. Saying "there's stuff on my twitter".
Old 07-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #422
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Hey uber mod-complainers, I bet GoDaddy can get you this, http://www.sportsdigs.com/ , for only $4.99 the first year.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #423
Subby
lolzcat

Pretty sure MJ4H was boxed for posting the thread a second time with the link to twitter - not for any "snide remarks".

I guess I don't understand why he couldn't just cool his jets and wait for his PM to be answered the first time.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Old 07-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #424
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Pretty sure MJ4H was boxed for posting the thread a second time with the link to twitter - not for any "snide remarks".

I guess I don't understand why he couldn't just cool his jets and wait for his PM to be answered the first time.

From what I hear, the reason he was boxed was for "repeated bitching about a mod decision" and he didn't actually post a link to twitter, he just said it was there.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #425
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Hey uber mod-complainers, I bet GoDaddy can get you this, http://www.sportsdigs.com/ , for only $4.99 the first year.

If you don't like America, get the hell out!

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
Old 07-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #426
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't know why forum moderation is one area that's just SO set in stone that any opinion on it is pointless to raise.

Because we actually have more standing to do something about those (vis a vis voting, etc & et al) than we do about the moderation of a privately owned forum.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #427
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
From what I hear, the reason he was boxed was for "repeated bitching about a mod decision" and he didn't actually post a link to twitter, he just said it was there.
Yeah I saw the "bitching" image, too. I guess unless someone posts those PMs we'll never know what the nature of the bitching was (did MJ4H devolve in to abject childishness or was he mature and respectful). I have a hard time believing it was just the remark in that thread that did the trick.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #428
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
You post this like its some sort of valid criticism that wade's modding decisions are subjective. They're all subjective.

There are a general set of broadly defined rules (guidelines?) to cover the infinite possibilities of posts that the human mind can create. Because there are so few guidelines to cover such a multitude of situations, they must, by definition, be broadly interpreted. Interpretation is subjective. How do you expect the moderation under these conditions to be anything but subjective.

This thread has shown me both the wisdom and folly of Ben's policy of not discussing mod decisions. On the one hand, a clearly stated, definitive announcement of why someone was banned would probably satisfy most people's curiosity. On the other hand, it will give those few who vehemently disagree with whatever rationale is given more fodder. RendeR has clearly shown that engaging in diologue with those people has no chance of being productive.

Still, its not hard to figure out a few things about this place.

1) Pictures of women are not the point. You don't want to get suspended/banned, don't try to find the line of what's offensive. There's just never going to be a clearly defined line about what pictures or links to pictures are acceptable. If there is, you wouldn't like what it would almost have to be.
2) The most hard and fast rule here: accept the mod's decisions. Going around them will end badly for you, even if your method of doing so does not break any rules, and no matter how righteously indignant you are about the injustice of the mod decision.
3) This is not a democracy. Its a dictatorship (with an advisory board). You want to be happy here, accept this as well. There are things in life you cannot contol, or even influence. This is one of them.

You know. I think I should have just not posted my earlier five points. Samdari made much better sense.

There are positives and negatives to both full disclosure and no discussion. Reasonable people can reasonably hold either position.

While I'm more of a person who urges the mods to act with restraint (moderate with moderation), I can certainly respect others that have arrived at a different opinion. It's like I view most people with differing viewpoints. Their opinion sucks, but I can still respect them.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #429
Subby
lolzcat

ibtl

Old 07-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #430
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Discussion over. Further whining about this will result in punitive actions.