Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #401
Logan
Head Coach

I haven't played a lot due to lack of time, but I'm still loving it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #402
Kodos
Resident Alien

In my opinion, it is easily the best next gen Madden.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #403
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
new roster update is apparently online, changelist : Madden NFL 10 Blog : EA SPORTS

As good news one of the developers is hard at work fixing the simmed stats in Franchise : Offline Franchise Stats Tuning Update - Operation Sports Forums

Sounds like I should wait on starting my franchise until the simmed stats are fixed. For those that have already started their franchise, how bad is it?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #404
Super Ugly
High School JV

The best next-gen Madden by far, but that's not saying a great deal. '09 lasted about a week in my machine. '10 got about three. I've just sold my copy and am hoping that NHL '10 will be a bit more substantial.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #405
RainMaker
General Manager

Saw this posted on OS. Kind of sums up why Madden is still a turd while other sports games are excelling.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #406
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

That whole review could have been truncated down to 1:30 and been just as informative. Annoying and repetetive.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:13 AM   #407
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

WOW WATCH ME PUT THE GAME INTO UNREALISTIC SITUATIONS AND LOOK HOW CONFUSED THE GAME IS HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old 09-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #408
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
WOW WATCH ME PUT THE GAME INTO UNREALISTIC SITUATIONS AND LOOK HOW CONFUSED THE GAME IS HA HA HA HA HA HA
It's to show that ratings don't matter. That signing a 99 lineman is no different than a 50 rated lineman. That if you control Mario Williams against the best and worst tackle in football, you'll get the same results. Not sure how showing that ratings mean nothing wouldn't have some factor on the game.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:36 AM   #409
MrBug708
Head Coach

The computer threw to a wide open, eligible receiver? Moss had a defender chasing him while the lineman had his defender in the stands.

But I see the point
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #410
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The problem with that video is that it is the typical straw man arguement. If he is playing as Jacksonville on All-Madden that means that of course the Patriots are going to be playing above their ability. If he did that same experiment with his team using the same offensive setup and the same results happened that would be different.

As for the receiver question, it was not exactly a no brainer as one receiver was a better receiverand open but the other was not just open but could have setup camp in the space he had.

It's a computer trying to make decisions based upon game situations and most of the time that decision is going to be to throw to the receiver whose defender is having a beer in the stands.

Like I said, lets see him try the exact opposite and do that with the team he controls. If the same results happen I would be completely surprised.

Plus he was pretty damn annoying.

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:54 AM   #411
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It's to show that ratings don't matter. That signing a 99 lineman is no different than a 50 rated lineman. That if you control Mario Williams against the best and worst tackle in football, you'll get the same results. Not sure how showing that ratings mean nothing wouldn't have some factor on the game.

But it's not showing that. It's showing that you are playing on the toughest skill level and the computer is playing at a higher skill level than it should. That would be like playing a FPS on the most intense skill level and then complaining that the computer opponents were too hard to kill.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:22 AM   #412
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
The problem with that video is that it is the typical straw man arguement. If he is playing as Jacksonville on All-Madden that means that of course the Patriots are going to be playing above their ability. If he did that same experiment with his team using the same offensive setup and the same results happened that would be different.

As for the receiver question, it was not exactly a no brainer as one receiver was a better receiverand open but the other was not just open but could have setup camp in the space he had.

It's a computer trying to make decisions based upon game situations and most of the time that decision is going to be to throw to the receiver whose defender is having a beer in the stands.

Like I said, lets see him try the exact opposite and do that with the team he controls. If the same results happen I would be completely surprised.

Plus he was pretty damn annoying.

A kicker should not be able to pancake the starting defensive end for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Plain and simple. No questions about it.

And if the roles had been reversed, the CPU would have demolished every lineman of his and crushed the QB.

That's the point of the video. Ratings don't matter on All-Madden. CPU kickers can block 250 pound defensive ends. It doesn't matter if you do well in the draft or sign a top free agent, the ratings have no impact on the game.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #413
gstelmack
Pro Starter

On All-Madden, everything for the CPU gets cranked up, that's what makes it so difficult. It is not a reality mode, it is a difficulty mode. The whole point is to give joystick jockeys a challenge, and that means that CPU kickers can block 250 pound defensive ends to create that challenge.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:47 AM   #414
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm having fun in my QB superstar mode. Drafted by the Bucs, we just finished a 10-6 season where we won the division. I have frustrations with the super-sim part, like reaching 4th down deep in opponent territory with 14 seconds left, I get taken off the field but it appears we don't kick a FG? And too many return TDs; had a game yesterday where it was 14-7 before I took the field as QB for my team. But the on-field play is fun.

Favorite moment so far: Earnest Graham heading for the endzone, starts doing his "strut", and it lets the defender catch him and tackle him JUST short. Even though it was bad for the team, it was still funny.

I do so love actually trying to get a pass off while getting hit. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it backfires big-time. I love guys making one-armed catches, and that bouncing balls are sometimes caught. Really enjoying the on-the-field action. Now if they could just fix the 2-minute playcalling (call a timeout, then a run play? C'mon. Of course FOF does that as well) and some of the supersim bits (again around the 2 minute stuff) I'd be happy.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #415
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A kicker should not be able to pancake the starting defensive end for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Plain and simple. No questions about it.

And if the roles had been reversed, the CPU would have demolished every lineman of his and crushed the QB.

That's the point of the video. Ratings don't matter on All-Madden. CPU kickers can block 250 pound defensive ends. It doesn't matter if you do well in the draft or sign a top free agent, the ratings have no impact on the game.

Did you even read what I said, or understand what a difficulty level is?
Old 09-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #416
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

The game is fun and realistic enough for me. I'm still having a great time.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #417
bhlloy
Coordinator

+1. I'll never get to all-madden, so any artificial play on that level I absolutely don't give two shits about.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #418
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I've been playing with "my skill" and some tweaks to the cpu sliders. Playing with Minnesota I'm happy with my offense and run defense. It's pass defense that "my skill" hasn't been able to get to a realistic setting for me.

IIRC my "my skill" pass defense is usually around 15-18 and with that I go through bouts of getting torched. Part may because of the QB getting off balls too quickly that in previous versions would have been sacks (ie throw as being hit and still completing the pass). Part may be that I never take over DB's, I only play either DE or DT and rely on my other players to play their positions.

I think my next step will be to go to custom sliders. I will input my current "my skill" sliders other than pass defense and try to lower that slightly. I like the idea of this because even when not using My Skill your score still updates. If I feel things are getting too easy I can go look at my current My Skill setting and update my custom sliders (kind of like playing with manual My Skill).

If I can get the pass D "right" I'll be happy with the game. If not I may trade it in for nba2k or ea's nhl game. I don't think it's going to be too hard though to come up with something I like with this plan. My new fear is the new patch will change things enough that I'll have to go through one or two more bouts of "slider tag", something I hate doing.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #419
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Did you even read what I said, or understand what a difficulty level is?

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

The Germans?

Forget it, he's rolling.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 09-13-2009 at 06:32 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #420
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I had 2 very good (but very different) games with everything at All-Pro default except for QB accuracy lowered to 22, Interceptions lowered to 20, Pass Rush raised to 60, and Run Shed Block lowered to 40. I also used some adjusted special teams sliders from one of the slider gurus. I don't recall those off the top of my head. I'm going to stick with those for another 5-10 games before I make any further adjustments, if any are necessary.

Hey EF27 -- Any further slider refinements?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #421
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I only have two gripes about this game.

1. QB's always seem to get off the little crappy pass as they're about to be sacked. It usually results in an incompletion, but I lose at least 2-3 sacks a game because of that.

2. When trying to re-sign a player and whatever the initial offer the game has for a player and they say they want more money. I want to just be able to say then name your price instead of me having to try to figure out what the guy thinks he deserves.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #422
Logan
Head Coach

I definitely agree with #2. Almost seems like a bug.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #423
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I've been playing with "my skill" and some tweaks to the cpu sliders. Playing with Minnesota I'm happy with my offense and run defense. It's pass defense that "my skill" hasn't been able to get to a realistic setting for me.

IIRC my "my skill" pass defense is usually around 15-18 and with that I go through bouts of getting torched. Part may because of the QB getting off balls too quickly that in previous versions would have been sacks (ie throw as being hit and still completing the pass). Part may be that I never take over DB's, I only play either DE or DT and rely on my other players to play their positions.

I think my next step will be to go to custom sliders. I will input my current "my skill" sliders other than pass defense and try to lower that slightly. I like the idea of this because even when not using My Skill your score still updates. If I feel things are getting too easy I can go look at my current My Skill setting and update my custom sliders (kind of like playing with manual My Skill).

Update to my quoted post..

Had some time today and input my My Skill sliders into custom. My pass def was 17 and I lowered it to 14 (same as my rush skill). Had a very good game beating the Bears with the Vikes 27-24. No more getting torched by robo QB.
Cutler completed a very respectable 65%, 280 yds, and 3 tds. so it certainly didn't castrate the cpu passing game

Very good stats other than no sacks and only close a couple of times. One of them I was actually hitting Cutler and his arm still came up to unload the ball. Supposedly going to be tweaked in one of the patches, sorry "title updates"

I'll be sticking with this. If things appear to be getting too easy I'll review My Skill score and update my custom sliders accordingly.

One more nice thing about custom sliders is I can set pass defense at 14 (or any number) and still go in and up the pass rush if I'm not getting pressure. With My Skill at 17 pass defense (what my original setting was) all the sub-sliders are at 15. No wonder I wasn't getting any real pressure.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #424
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Hey EF27 -- Any further slider refinements?

I'm going to play around with it more this weekend.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #425
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
1. QB's always seem to get off the little crappy pass as they're about to be sacked. It usually results in an incompletion, but I lose at least 2-3 sacks a game because of that.

This is my one major annoyance. I've never seen any QB get sacked more than once in a game, after about 8 games. And I'm the Detroit Lions.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #426
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
This is my one major annoyance. I've never seen any QB get sacked more than once in a game, after about 8 games. And I'm the Detroit Lions.

The diference for me must be sliders because I get 2 to 3 sacks a game. I seldom control the player that gets the sack. If I would get sacks for every close one I would have 10 or more a game.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:26 PM   #427
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I've been waiting for the patch to come out. I didn't miss an announcement, did I?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #428
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The problem for me is that if I adjust the sliders enough for both teams to get 2-3 sacks per game there are so many of those near sacks that cause the dead duck throws.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:57 PM   #429
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I've been waiting for the patch to come out. I didn't miss an announcement, did I?
First patch should be out anyday now but really doesn't fix any gameplay issues. Second patch is supposed to but who knows when that will ever get done.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:15 AM   #430
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
The problem for me is that if I adjust the sliders enough for both teams to get 2-3 sacks per game there are so many of those near sacks that cause the dead duck throws.

Yeah, dead duck throws are a nice addition, but man, if I didn't have the interceptions sliders down so low they'd be responsible for about 4 or 5 picks a game. Imagine if NFL QBs threw the ball so high in the air with their dead duck throws in random directions during games.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #431
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

Unless it's Sav Rocca
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #432
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

Since I've stopped hitting the Turbo button, I'm averaging 4 sacks a game with the Eagles and had one game with 9 sacks. Parker is on pace for 21 sacks this year for me. Cole is on pace for 16.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #433
rowech
Pro Starter

Any chance the patch is finished yet? I'm relying on you guys as you seem to be a bevy of information.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #434
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The first patch is not out as of right now. It's expected to be out within the next week.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #435
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I like the All-Pro setting with just minor adjustments. Only thing is getting the CPU running down is difficult. It probably doesn't help that I control the safety at all times and can crash down if I see a run play develop. With the sliders adjusted, I've allowed about 80 yard rushing a game, still too low. Once I get that balanced, I'll be ready for my franchise.

Passing is just about perfect. I can't get people out of position, or they'll burn me. I get some decent pressure on their QB and them on me as well. I can pass, but it's not easy and I have to work at mixing up routes. By far, this is the most fun I've EVER had in passing in Madden. Probably with my running too, hard, but not impossible. You have to be patient. If I can get the CPU to run decent, this game is golden.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #436
bhlloy
Coordinator

If you ever figure it out, let me know. I can get the CPU running game to do one of two things:

1) Suck
2) Suck 75% of the time, but the other 25% of the time are 10+ yard gains with a pretty good chance of a 50 yard TD and the back ends up with 150-200 yards every time.

The exception is with a really good CPU back. Then 1) becomes 2) and 2) becomes "holy crap Adrian Peterson just ran for 350 yards and five scores on me"

Those seem to be the only two options. If anyone can suggest a way to get the CPU to have a realistic running game (a realistic balance of TFL's and moderate gains with a few big gains if I blow a play or they find a seam) please share.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #437
Logan
Head Coach

If by "figure it out" you mean "give you my skills," I'll be right on that.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #438
Kodos
Resident Alien

Logan has skills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
If by "figure it out" you mean "give you my skills," I'll be right on that.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-17-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #439
Logan
Head Coach

Haha...well considering he's looking for a way for the CPU to be better against him, I'd say we agree.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #440
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
If you ever figure it out, let me know. I can get the CPU running game to do one of two things:

1) Suck
2) Suck 75% of the time, but the other 25% of the time are 10+ yard gains with a pretty good chance of a 50 yard TD and the back ends up with 150-200 yards every time.

The exception is with a really good CPU back. Then 1) becomes 2) and 2) becomes "holy crap Adrian Peterson just ran for 350 yards and five scores on me"

Those seem to be the only two options. If anyone can suggest a way to get the CPU to have a realistic running game (a realistic balance of TFL's and moderate gains with a few big gains if I blow a play or they find a seam) please share.

Yeah, my tweaks have discovered that. DeAngelo Williams had 70 yards on 2 carries and a touchdown, tweaked it down a tick, and it seems he suddenly went 5 carries for 3 yards. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #441
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I miss mid-season attribute changes, young players who were doing well in franchise mode used to get better as the season went on but now it only happens at the end of the season. Chad Henne is tearing it up for me in 2010 and I want him to be rewarded for it sooner.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #442
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Yeah, my tweaks have discovered that. DeAngelo Williams had 70 yards on 2 carries and a touchdown, tweaked it down a tick, and it seems he suddenly went 5 carries for 3 yards. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

It's kindof always been that way for me. The cpu usually gets held in check for most of the game, but breaks one or two BIG runs to bring the average up.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #443
JS19
College Prospect

Apologies if this has already been brought up, I should have gotten the game when it came out to keep up with this thread. Couple quick questions.

1. Kick returns. Are they too easy, or am I just getting lucky? I have 3 TD with A. Bradshaw (15 games in) and I think he's #2 in avg return yds.

2. Slants across the middle. I remember reading something about being able to take advantage of HB screens or TE's in the flats, so I've stayed away from them, but I'm having a lot of success hitting guys across the middle.

I'm playing on All-Pro, if that makes any difference.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #444
gstelmack
Pro Starter

You can tweak QB accuracy to help with slants across the middle.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #445
gstelmack
Pro Starter

On Superstar mode, I think when the patch comes out I'll switch back to franchise. It's clearly the red-headed step-child of the feature set: generic announcer, no "flashback" or whatever its called with Collinsworth showing me what I did wrong, SuperSim has all kinds of issues (too many return TDs as I mentioned above), haven't been interviewed once on the calendar like in 2008. Gameplay on the field is fine, but it's just flat and boring. The 2008 Superstar mode was worlds better.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #446
whomario
Pro Starter

The slants and Flats being too powerfull is supposed to be corrected/twekaed in the first Patch.

This first Patch is apparently released today , some europeans allready got it (time shift and all).
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #447
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The slants and Flats being too powerfull is supposed to be corrected/twekaed in the first Patch.

This first Patch is apparently released today , some europeans allready got it (time shift and all).

Ping Icy.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #448
whomario
Pro Starter

Have to correct myself on both counts. For starters, the patch seems to be out only for the PS3 and only in the UK and Australia (and no, no one has any idea as to why that is) and 2nd the Slants/Flats issue is going to be fixed in the 2nd Patch somewhere down the line ...
Sorry for jumping the Gun here

Last edited by whomario : 09-23-2009 at 02:13 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #449
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Have to correct myself on both counts. For starters, the patch seems to be out only for the PS3 and only in the UK and Australia (and no, no one has any idea as to why that is) and 2nd the Slants/Flats issue is going to be fixed in the 2nd Patch somewhere down the line ...
Sorry for jumping the Gun here
That sucks. Gameplay patches seem to take them much longer. Have a feeling it will be late November before we see something.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #450
Kodos
Resident Alien

It seems like you'd be happier selling the game and never thinking about it again.