Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #401
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
So, reports are they want Catherine Tate if they can work around her schedule. Eek.

For those not sure who she is, she was the British woman that interviewed that you wondered if you should have known but couldn't place. She was on Dr. Who and she did have her own sketch comedy show. I am sure she is funny, but really? They are just bound and determined to cast a "flake" character in that role. I could see how they could use her (she doesn't know what she is doing, so everyone ends up taking up her slack and protecting the office from her). But I wish they'd hire either from within, or maybe someone like Spader and really take the job to another direction.

Wow - I'm a huge office fan, and I'd give it a shot, but I'd be disappointed if she was the hire. I wonder if they're having trouble filling the role? I was hoping for Will Arnett, but I see he's in his own show this fall. Maybe there's nobody out there?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #402
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
So, reports are they want Catherine Tate if they can work around her schedule. Eek.

For those not sure who she is, she was the British woman that interviewed that you wondered if you should have known but couldn't place. She was on Dr. Who and she did have her own sketch comedy show. I am sure she is funny, but really? They are just bound and determined to cast a "flake" character in that role. I could see how they could use her (she doesn't know what she is doing, so everyone ends up taking up her slack and protecting the office from her). But I wish they'd hire either from within, or maybe someone like Spader and really take the job to another direction.

I hate the thought of going with the same character formula as Mike for the job.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #403
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Tate would seem like an odd choice...I'd rather they hire within if that is their decision, heh
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #404
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I hate the thought of going with the same character formula as Mike for the job.

Totally agreed
Old 05-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #405
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Wow - I'm a huge office fan, and I'd give it a shot, but I'd be disappointed if she was the hire. I wonder if they're having trouble filling the role? I was hoping for Will Arnett, but I see he's in his own show this fall. Maybe there's nobody out there?

Honestly, my guess would be they wouldn't want to pay big money to someone, and they are afraid to hire someone who would demand a lot of air time. The show doesn't make the kind of money that they can keep the ensemble happy, and then pay someone a million dollars an episode. There probably big names that would do it, but not at whatever the cast's going rate is.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #406
moriarty
College Starter

I'd prefer Arnett or Spader, but pls not Tate (nothing against her, but that cameo was annoying).

As for the Gervais stuff, I didn't take it that bad. The dude did actually help create the original, so he should get some slack. I took it that he was saying he cut it off after 16 or so episodes for 'artistic' reasons and that yes, he could have milked it but he didn't. The follow up is going after 150+ episodes so naturally it gets a bit watered down. He's still listed in the credits so he's getting $$ for the show ... he cant' be complaining too much.

Regardless, those saying he's not funny should go watch the original office, or Extras or the podcasts, etc...
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #407
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I liked the finale.. I think Jim is the one who gets hired.. although that makes no sense.

Creed was great.. was very excited to see more of him. I'm still laughing.. when he was having that meeting and didn't tell anyone and was rattling the names off.. good suff.. lol
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #408
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

No to the English woman. Too mannered and stylistic, much like Ricky Gervais in his bad bits.

No to Creed. He's great in small doses, but not enough substance to carry a show. He needs to be in the background doing things.

Andy might make it, but he would need to change to his character from Cedar Rapids. He was brilliant in that movie and could bring that form of sincerity to The Office and still keep the comedy.

Yes to James Spader. Him staring down Dwight is the stuff of a great season.

Yes to more interviews of famous business leaders in the early shows. Warren Buffet poking fun at his 'Cheap Bastard' image was a highlight for me. Bill Gates coming on and pushing paperless offices in his interview would be terrific. Jim Kramer from Mad Money would be a cool bit, too.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #409
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Spader is in.

Quote:
UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – July 6, 2011 — Multiple Emmy Award winner James Spader (“Boston Legal,” “The Practice”) will be joining the regular cast of NBC’s “The Office” (Thursdays, 9-9:30 p.m. ET) as CEO Robert California of Sabre, the parent company of Dunder Mifflin.

“James will reprise his role as Robert California, this uber-salesman that has a power to convince and manipulate, like a high-class weirdo Jedi warrior,” said Paul Lieberstein, one of the series’ executive producers and a series regular. “He’ll have been hired over the summer as the new manager, but within hours, got himself promoted. Within days, he took over the company. James has an energy that is completely his own, and ‘The Office’ has no tools for dealing with this guy. We’re thrilled he’s joining our cast.”

Some of Spader’s credits include: Steven Soderbergh’s “sex, lies and videotape,” which won him the Best Actor award at the Cannes Film Festival; David Croenenberg’s “Crash,” which won the Special Jury Prize at Cannes; and Steven Shainberg’s “Secretary,” which won the Independent Spirit Award for Best Feature. His other film credits include “2 Days in the Valley,” “Wolf,” and “Less Than Zero.” Spader will be shooting Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks feature “Lincoln” later this year while he is shooting “The Office.”

From 2004-08, Spader won three Emmy awards for his seminal role as shameless attorney Alan Shore in “The Practice” and “Boston Legal,” making him the only actor to win consecutive Emmys playing the same character on two different series. He is represented at ICM and Melanie Cook.

From Deedle-Dee Productions, Reveille and Universal Media Studios comes the award-winning comedy series “The Office,” the hilarious documentary-style look into the humorous and sometimes poignant foolishness that plagues the world of 9-to-5 in the half-hour comedy based on the award-winning BBC hit. A fly-on-the-wall “docu-reality” parody about modern American office life, “The Office” delves into the lives of the workers at Dunder Miffflin, a paper supply company in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Pam Beesly Halpert (Jenna Fischer, “Walk Hard,” “Blades of Glory”) is the former office receptionist now office administrator. Pam’s office romance with sales rep Jim Halpert (John Krasinski, “Away We Go” “It’s Complicated”) quickly evolved into marriage followed by the birth of their daughter Cecilia. Jim shares his working space with Dwight Schrute (Rainn Wilson, “The Rocker,”) the arrogant assistant to the regional manager whose responsibilities have expanded as the new owner of The Office building. Ryan Howard (B.J. Novak, “Inglorious Basterds”) is the young, smart, former temp, whose fall from grace as a Dunder Mifflin executive quickly landed him back at the bottom of the food chain in Scranton. Andy Bernard (Ed Helms, “The Hangover”) is the preppy salesman and die-hard Cornell alumni whose endless and unique musical talents keep The Office entertained. A surprising relationship has also formed between Andy and the ambitious distribution coordinator Darryl Philbin (Craig Robinson, “Hot Tub Time Machine”), who moved his office from the warehouse to the main floor alongside Michael and his staff.

Also starring are Leslie David Baker (“Malcolm in the Middle”), Brian Baumgartner (“Arrested Development”), Kate Flannery (“The Heir Apparent”), Mindy Kaling (“No Strings Attached”), Angela Kinsey (“Furry Vengeance”), Paul Lieberstein (writer, “King of the Hill”), Oscar Nuñez (“The Proposal”), Phyllis Smith (“Bad Teacher”), Creed Bratton (former member of The Grass Roots), Ellie Kemper (“Bridesmaids”) and Zach Woods (“The Other Guys”).

“The Office” is executive-produced by Ben Silverman, Greg Daniels, who developed the series for American audiences, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant, Howard Klein and Paul Lieberstein.

For embeddable clips and full episodes from NBC shows, please visit NBC.com’s official show site: NBC.com - Shows - NBC Official Site
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #410
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Ahh cool, not at all what I was expecting, but really enjoyed his character. Curious to see how Dwight reacts to him.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 07-06-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #411
MrBug708
Head Coach

So he won't be the new boss?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #412
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I like it. I thought he was fantastic in the finale and from what I have heard, they are basically going to spin it as them hiring him for the manager job, but them him deciding that that is too "small" for him and essentially demanding the CEO job. I hope this means that they go inside for the manager job then (Andy or Darrell) instead of another "name".
Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #413
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Here is the previous article I had read: James Spader in talks to join 'The Office' -- EXCLUSIVE | Inside TV | EW.com
Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #414
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Awesome, Spader was the only good aspect of that last episode.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #415
GrantDawg

Very nice. I love Spader. That is a really cool idea for him to join the show.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #416
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Very pleased with the premiere. It was much better than any of the post-Michael episodes last year. Spader fit in very well and I think Andy is a great choice as the boss.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #417
MrBug708
Head Coach

I agree, solid.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:29 AM   #418
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

The fact that Steve Carrell never won an Emmy for Michael Scott is a fucking travesty.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #419
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Started off slow for me, but about half way through I was laughing outloud. Spader does fit in well.. great start!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #420
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
The fact that Steve Carrell never won an Emmy for Michael Scott is a fucking travesty.

+1000000
Old 09-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #421
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I loved the choice for Spader and he did not disappoint last night. I like the choice with Andy being the boss. Solid so far
Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #422
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I think I'm gonna go planking at work today.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #423
Swaggs
Coordinator

Not too bad. It is weird how different James Spader looks at this point, compared to young James Spader. He almost looks like Darrell Hammond now.

I liked Stanley's new catchphrase (and that he explained it) and that Spader's list had "Old Man" or "Old Guy" on it for Creed.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #424
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I loved last night's episode. I have always been a big fan of Spader, and I think he fit in very well. I want to go planking at work, too.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #425
digamma
Torchbearer

You can take last night's episode and shove it up your butt.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #426
Philliesfan980
Banned

I'm somewhere in the middle on this. It was better than some of the episodes from last seasons from the guest stars, but still falling fairly short from the middle seasons.

I don't know if it's just me, but Jim/Pam really really annoy me at this point. Jim isn't bad by himself, but Pam really adds absolutely nothing to the show, and hasn't for some time. I'm secretly hoping they write her out of the show after she has baby #2.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #427
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I enjoyed it - a little different, but I definitely giggled like a schoolgirl when Dwight led the attack. I don't know if there's a real storyline that extends this more than one season, but we'll see.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #428
Kodos
Resident Alien

The fight was pretty funny, and totally Schrutish.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #429
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Deleted scence... good stuff.

The Office - The Secret of Planking - Video - NBC.com
Old 09-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #430
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Definitely a promising start. Spader fits in well, and giving Ed Helms the chance to blend in his character from CEDAR RAPIDS is wonderful. Kevin with the In Crowd was chuckle worthy. The planking was a bit overdone, but could have been worse, and was in keeping with The Office traditions of internet crap.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #431
Suicane75
Coordinator

This was, to me at least, what The Office should be. I know I'm probably in the minority but I've hated the Micheal Scott character for the past few seasons. He just got too absurd for me to enjoy. I'm pleased as punch at the idea of the show becoming more of an ensemble and allowing all the players more time to shine.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #432
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I enjoyed it myself. Love Andy as the boss - the fact he stood up to Spader was fun as well (will that move him to the "winners" column).

I loved the fact that Spader's character talked Jo out of her own job.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #433
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Last weeks episode had me laughing quite a bit. Especially Creed and Jim at the end when he asks Dwight if he showed in the evening or in the morning, because he wanted to shower at the same time to save water.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #434
MrBug708
Head Coach

Yesterday's episode was quite good.

Rape Flute
Tub of Electricity
I think I see the outline of a ring pop

(Also no Spader)
Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #435
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I love Mindy Kaling-written episodes.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #436
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Yesterday's episode was quite good.

Rape Flute
Tub of Electricity
I think I see the outline of a ring pop

(Also no Spader)
Don't forget Creed's attempt to "Strike, Scream, Run"
Old 03-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #437
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I may be in the minority but I found the Florida stuff to be somewhat entertaining but thought the 5th grade girl storyline was awful.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #438
heybrad
Norm!!!

The Creed moment was the first time I've laughed hard at an Office episode in a long time.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #439
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Creed last night was great. Best laugh for me this year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #440
Danny
Head Coach

While this season certainly hasn't been as good as its prime, I think most of it has been pretty good. Last night was an exception, what an awful awful episode.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #441
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
While this season certainly hasn't been as good as its prime, I think most of it has been pretty good. Last night was an exception, what an awful awful episode.

I just watched it and I agree.. might have been the worst one I've ever watched.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #442
Swaggs
Coordinator

Nellie is essentially channeling Ricky Gervais.

Not good - hopefully, she doesn't stick around too much longer. I wouldn't mind her staying with the company and being one of those characters that appears a couple times a season, but she's been featured enough this year.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #443
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Does The Office Face Another Restructure? - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

At this point NBC needs to nuke it, or nearly rebuild it.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #444
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Does The Office Face Another Restructure? - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

At this point NBC needs to nuke it, or nearly rebuild it.

Looks like it will be a try at rebuilding next year. NBC ratings across the board is so bad, and this is their highest rated comedy. They are going to at-least try a rebuild. I just don't see the Dwight spin-off working, but who knows.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #445
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Still trying to figure out whether this show or HIMYM is going to shit faster this season.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #446
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Still trying to figure out whether this show or HIMYM is going to shit faster this season.

HIMYM is leaps and bounds above The Office. They just keep on adding terrible characters and throwing in terrible storylines. There have definitely been some HIMYM clunkers, but at worst, it's still enjoyable to me, and at its best it's still very good. The Office is finished for me.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #447
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I can't for the life of me figure out why Parks and Rec and Community aren't much higher rated than the current iteration of The Office.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #448
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Just tonight I deleted some 16 episodes of The Office that were sitting on my DVR. Just lost interest in watching it and realized that it wasn't going to come back.

I feel a bit sad. I did love this show for quite a while.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #449
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I'm ready to stop watching. My wife wants to finish the season so that's what we'll do.

I liked Andy as the manager. He played off the other characters pretty well, but this chick is just annoying. And I'll take Kathy Bates over whatshisname as the super-boss anytime.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #450
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah I agree, they need to get her off this show!