Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #401
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
LOL! What a night. I'm going to stop rooting for people if they are going to go home.

I did not even realize there were only 3 girls left! I honestly think that those 3 girls will make it to the final 5.

Simon should play werewolf...

Who do you think Chief Rum is?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #402
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Love the Pittsburgh Pirates (this is unrelated to American Idol)

Why don't you marry them! *Pee-wee Herman laugh*
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:13 AM   #403
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I fully expect Crystal to win (vs Lee. Siobhan will go out at #3). I'm not sure why people think she won't.

At this point Crystal = Adam Lambert = Melinda...so with the way the Idol crowd votes I can't possibly see how she will win.

WIll probably be someone like Tim or Aaron or Andrew or Katie
Old 04-09-2010, 03:26 AM   #404
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I don't know. I think this is becoming one of those overused Idol terms, like making it your own.

Lacking relevance would be someone who emulates Frank Sinatra, or sang opera, or did the Betty Boop thing. Melinda was a soul/rock combo who didn't quite personify the soloist image that's necessary. Simon said she should have won that season. She was never in the bottom three - she just didn't get the kids dialing when it was down to her, Jordin Sparks and the hyped Blake Lewis.

If you want pure relevance, Tim Urban makes very savvy choices and is still around solely because of looks and catering to that young demographic.

I think there's a place for Crystal in today's music scene. I don't think she'll sell a tremendous number of records. Melinda didn't, either. But I worry Crystal will be eliminated at that same point.

I don't understand how you can call Melinda a rock/soul combo that should be relevant. As others said, she was old-fashioned and boring. I'd love to see record sales, I'm sure she had some absolutely terrible sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #405
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I don't understand how you can call Melinda a rock/soul combo that should be relevant. As others said, she was old-fashioned and boring. I'd love to see record sales, I'm sure she had some absolutely terrible sales.

Looks to be over 53K.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melinda...ttle#Post-Idol

Old 04-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #406
wade moore
lolzcat

American Idol alumni album sales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So she was outsold by these powerhouses:

Chris Sligh
Phil Stacey
LaToya London
Mandisa

Among others.

Hell - Elliott Yamin has dramatically outsold her (527k on his first album, with spotty sales since).

So I'll repeat - she is a very good singer - her music is not relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #407
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I bought more Edy's because of her. That should count for something.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #408
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hell - Elliott Yamin has dramatically outsold her (527k on his first album, with spotty sales since).

In vast part due to his rather good display of white boy soul on "Wait For You." It's his only single worth anything.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #409
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/leedewyze2

Lee DeWyze's 2nd album. No surprise being in studio and doing his own songs he sounds better.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #410
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
American Idol alumni album sales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So she was outsold by these powerhouses:

Chris Sligh
Phil Stacey
LaToya London
Mandisa

Among others.

So I'll repeat - she is a very good singer - her music is not relevant.

I always liked Chris Sligh and his weird fro. Wish he'd gone farther. I've liked videos I've seen by his band.
London was awesome. One of those seasons you go "HUH?!?!?" when she and Hudson left earlier than the final episode.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #411
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
London was awesome. One of those seasons you go "HUH?!?!?" when she and Hudson left earlier than the final episode.

+1 I thought she was far and away the best that season.

Last edited by Mike1409 : 04-11-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #412
Ksyrup

In an effort to make the contestants as relevant as they can possibly be to today's musical climate, AI is having them sing Elvis songs while being mentored by Adam Lambert. This should work well.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #413
Ksyrup

Oh, and Kara's posing nude (barely covered, I assume) for Allure mag. Yep.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #414
MJ4H
Coordinator

bonus
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #415
Ksyrup

I'd post the pic I saw, but I don't wanna have to ban myself.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #416
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
In an effort to make the contestants as relevant as they can possibly be to today's musical climate, AI is having them sing Elvis songs while being mentored by Adam Lambert. This should work well.

Actually, it should be awesome.

Either awesome-awesome or trainwreck-awesome, but awesome either way.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #417
Ksyrup

I sent this quote to my Glambert mom, and it about sent her through the roof:

Quote:

American Idol Exeuctive Producer Ken Warwick admits to Entertainment Weekly that Adam Lambert was only brought back to mentor the contestants this week because he's failing big time and his career needs a push. Ken says, "Because the guy is an incredible talent, and he had an incredible following. And it kind of upsets me that at the moment he’s not doing quite as well… And it kind of breaks my heart to see someone with that much talent struggle a bit."

lol
Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #418
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

What does he want from us?
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #419
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
What does he want from us?

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #420
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Actually, it should be awesome.

Either awesome-awesome or trainwreck-awesome, but awesome either way.

I'm pretty sure I'm voting trainwreck. This group of contestants seems pretty certain to find a way to bring maudlin and cheesy to the table, but not likely kick ass. I expect a few good numbers, but can't imagine what Tim will do with this. Or rather I can ....
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #421
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Absolutely called Andrew doing Hounddog to my roommate just before they announced what song he was doing. I wonder if one of the lesser guys will do Love Me Tender.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #422
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Siobhan Magnus mentored by Lambert should be comical. She might come out and do nothing, but high notes.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #423
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Absolutely called Andrew doing Hounddog to my roommate just before they announced what song he was doing. I wonder if one of the lesser guys will do Love Me Tender.

Why is Andrew still there?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #424
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: Can we just crown Crystal now?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #425
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
dola: Can we just crown Crystal now?
Sure, crown her all you want when she finishes third or fourth. She's the best singer, but she ain't winning this TV show.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #426
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Sure, crown her all you want when she finishes third or fourth. She's the best singer, but she ain't winning this TV show.

I don't doubt that but I don't know if there would be a bigger "upset" in AI than her not winning.

On the talent level it looks like this season is her and a bunch of opening acts for her.

With that said, Lee just did a very nice job.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #427
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

How long before that breakdown someone was expecting?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #428
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I'm sorry but every time I hear that song I can only think of this...

Spoiler
Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #429
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

It should be painfully easy to pick off 2 from those performances. I think once they get down to 5 it will be far more interesting.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #430
Autumn
Head Coach

Based on tonight Andrew and Aaron should be gone, please. I'll be interested to see who actually gets voted off.

Lee and Crystal were on, I thought. Casey wasn't bad but didn't reach their level. Siobhan continues to underperform. I think she should have been able to rock an Elvis song. I think she at least figured out a balance: she worked in the big vocals without resorting to the scream.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #431
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Watch out.. Tim Urban is going to Kris Allen the lot of em.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #432
Ksyrup

The judges clearly hate America. Tim was awful. A good bit of the verses he just talk-sang (and poorly). There were some non-obscene moments in there, but he was mostly terrible. I'm really REALLY pissed he didn't take Adam's advice and break out the falsetto to end the song. I mean, honestly, WTF was Adam thinking?! Too bad someone talked Tim out of that.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-13-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #433
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I think she at least figured out a balance: she worked in the big vocals without resorting to the scream.

If by balance you mean being boring unless she's going for the big notes then I agree. She's easily #6 for me right now and considering who is the bottom three, that's really not saying a lot. Unless something significant happens, she's the next girl to be gone.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #434
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
The judges clearly hate America. Tim was awful. A good bit of the verses he just talk-sang (and poorly). There were some non-obscene moments in there, but he was mostly terrible. I'm really REALLY pissed he didn't take Adam's advice and break out the falsetto to end the song. I mean, honestly, WTF was Adam thinking?! Too bad someone talked Tim out of that.

Yeah, I dont like Tim at all, but he has a voice at least. And for some reason he chose to sang that song in a way that hardly used it. I give him some credit for not going over the top. But there's no reason to talk your way through the song if you have his voice.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #435
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
If by balance you mean being boring unless she's going for the big notes then I agree. She's easily #6 for me right now and considering who is the bottom three, that's really not saying a lot. Unless something significant happens, she's the next girl to be gone.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I mean. She at least has those big notes going for her, but they're not worth much if she insists on throwing in the scream as well. I liked her earlier on but she's definitely gotten staler.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #436
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Siobhan Magnus mentored by Lambert should be comical. She might come out and do nothing, but high notes.

I really think they missed an opportunity by not bringing back Jon Peter Lewis to mentor Elvis week!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #437
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I actually thought Lambert was a good mentor. He gave honest feedback unlike others like Usher and Miley Cyrus.

I think Siobhan may be in trouble. Steady decline plus talking back to judges may do her in.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:03 AM   #438
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Watching tonight show that was recorded. Andrew has only got one line of the song out and I literally shouted OH MY GOD IS HE GOING TO SING THIS THIS SLOW?!?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 AM   #439
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It was one of those moments you had to see to believe. American Idol chose former contestant Adam Lambert, a man who thinks Freddie Mercury lacked theatrical presence, to mentor the children during Elvis week.

Those of you who didn't watch don't believe me, do you? One of those late April Fool's jokes. But it happened. Next week, Derek Jeter will visit Manhattan and advise Rex Ryan on drafting for the New York Jets. Then Kelly Pickler will take over hosting for the silly show where that noisy chef spits on all those poor people who want to run restaurants some day.

So, let's say you're a contestant on American Idol. You have to pick an Elvis song. As Simon aptly mentioned, you know you can't sing Elvis karaoke. Your only adviser is the male version of Siobhan, only with personality. What do you do?

If I'm Rex Ryan, I'm bringing in the punter. Fortunately, it wasn't all that bad. Mostly, the Idols found arrangements that suited their voices. Nothing tonight I'd ever want to hear again, but only two of the nine fell into the karaoke trap.

On to the Solecismic rankings for the second week of nine performers.

1. Tim Urban. Yeah, I'm putting him first today. I can't help it. I wasn't overwhelmed, but I admire the guy. He remains non-annoying, and he sticks to a style that makes the most of his limited talent. He can stay on key, and his version of Can't Help Falling in Love could be a current hit with someone with a little more ability. He was in control, and the louder pieces of the song (OK, medium-to-low volume for a screecher like Siobhan) were nice. His quieter pieces blended in with the scenery. He is playing to the format rather than succumbing to the pressures everyone else seems to run into. Kris Allen did it differently last season. I don't think he'll win because he was really, really bad three weeks of the first six and received too much attention for that. But he deserves another week or three. Score of 85.

2. Casey James. The judges didn't like it because it was rough and obviously something Casey put together in 22 seconds after an all-night session in Kara's trailer. Unlike Tim, this wasn't a competition-savvy choice. But, for the only time all night, I didn't feel overly aware this was a competition song. It was the top performance of the night, but the screaming and the low degree of difficulty kept it from being memorable. Score of 73.

3. Crystal Bowersox. I was underwhelmed with this performance song. I worry about Crystal because she's trying too hard to show versatility. She chose gospel to exhibit a new side of her ability. And she did well, but the fast pace of the song overwhelmed her, made her ordinary. Like Tim's choice, it was obvious she was trying to compete. Unlike Tim, it wasn't something I'd ever want another performer to sing. Score of 79.

4. Katie Stevens. Katie had a lot of energy tonight, and is starting to realize that abandoning her robotic roots might bring her new fans. However, she had a couple of pitch problems and the performance was more attitude than showing off a rich voice. She's doing well, though, clearly not overwhelmed by a very rocky start to the finals. Probably too late, though. Score of 78.

5. Lee DeWyze. Poor Lee is always being told to smile. I don't see why. He's a Daughtry clone, and he has plenty of talent. It was a weird arrangement of A Little Less Conversation. Didn't feel like a song at all, just a rocker with low energy trying to sound happy when he wasn't. I could easily be convinced he was singing "A Little Less Constipation." Score of 76.

6. Michael Lynche. Michael was rightfully saved last week. I still hate the Simon Saves feature, but ideally it's designed for a consistent but uninspiring performer who didn't have a bad week, but needs a little more time to gain a following. His rendition of In the Ghetto was a little incongruous. The lyrics were unintelligible, which is bad when you're singing a story song. His tone was good. I was bored, though. I think he deserves to stay, but I wouldn't miss him if he went home. Score of 74.

7. Aaron Kelly. This was decent karaoke of Blue Suede Shoes. Not much energy. Just call the kid Baby Elvis this week. He can do a lot with his voice, but he always chooses tired arrangements and doesn't have the ability to make us forget the original, even for a second. Score of 66.

8. Siobhan Magnus. This should have been her week. I remain convinced something very bad is happening inside Siobhan. Tonight, she resembled Sigourney Weaver in Alien. She started with a weak lower-register calm, uneventful, boring run of notes. Then the aliens arrived and stole the melody in the middle of the song, as she uncharacteristically missed her key and looked frightened. And then her head exploded and we got some gospel and some screeching. I'm tired of her. Score of 61.

9. Andrew Garcia. Even Lambert hated his version of Hound Dog. Andrew chose a slow karaoke rendition, to draw out the torture. In his relatively rangeless voice, he was actually more on key than usual, but the performance was so tired and cliché-ridden that I could imagine the arrow bouncing slowly over the words on the karaoke television screen. Score of 55.

Summary: After three weeks of excruciatingly stretching one hour's worth of performance into two, Idol went to one-and-a-half hours. Plenty of time for nine singers, but somehow they got into quick-judge mode half-way through because they wanted Glee to start on time. The production has been terrible this season, even by their mediocre standards. As for the singing, it could have been a lot worse.

Expected Bottom Three: Andrew, Katie, Siobhan.
Who Should Go: Andrew and Aaron.
Who Will Go: Andrew and Katie.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:45 AM   #440
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I dont see Katie going any time soon. If she has lasted this long I doubt she gets send home this week after one of her better performances.

I think its Andrew and and Aarons time.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:25 AM   #441
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I think its Andrew and and Aarons time.

Please let it be. They bring nothing to the table.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:05 AM   #442
Ksyrup

Jim hates America, too.

Whenever I watch Tim Urban perform, I can only think of Greg Brady singing. Even his cheerful non-offensiveness pisses me off - it makes him come off like a clueless moron.

Oh well - at least the VFTW people will be thrilled.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-14-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #443
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yep I agree that it should be Andrew and Aaron who go-which means that they probably won't. I really hope they start letting them sing more contemporary songs after two weeks of Beatles/Elvis.

I'm telling you guys Tim Urban has a career in gospel music all ready for him. He's already said he prays before each performance and his voice is just completely suited to that kind of music-he really does have a sincerity about him when he sings songs like that as he reached a couple times in last night's performance. I can't believe he's still around after some of the disasters he's produced, but he does have talent, which is more than I ever expected to say after that first week fiasco.

I was most disappointed in Casey this week. This was the category of themes that he should have soared with. Instead it was a pretty flat performance and for the first time I could really hear the "sheep" that someone's mentioned a couple times. Crystal was my favorite I guess, and (gasp!) Tim in second place.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #444
Ksyrup

Here's some potentially good news:

Quote:
American Idol musical director Rickey Minor is leaving one mediocre show for even more mediocre show: he’ll become the band leader on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, replacing Kevin Eubanks, who announced he was leaving yesterday.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #445
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah, I'd put Crystal at the top of the list despite not having her best week. Tim could have done really well with that song, I think, but he didn't. The few parts where he raised his volume it sounded good. By contrast Crystal I thought was rocking and right on throughout. To me she comes out every week and looks like she's just giving a concert, she's that comfortable.

I think you may be right about Casey and Kara's trailer. lol
Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #446
Ksyrup

So has anyone noticed what a dick Seacrest has become this season? All year, he's made headscratching comments, inserted himself into the some of the critiquing unnecessarily, made stupid/inappropriate jokes that fell flat, and generally tried to make the show more about him (IMO). Last night, he made that comment about Adam's talents with his tongue, which even Adam seemed to shake off as "I can't believe you just went there," and then he made a terrible joke ripping on Brian Dunkleman (his 1st season co-host who got canned), which was unnecessary because (a) Dunkleman jokes were played out by Season 5 and (b) if anyone's going to make a Dunkleman joke, it shouldn't be the tool who got lucky and completely fell into a multi-million dollar gig at that guy's expense.

What a douchebag.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-14-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #447
Autumn
Head Coach

I was also really turned off by the way he kept trying to get Didi to tell why the song was so meaningful for her. He seemed to really want her to breakdown on national TV, which was just lame.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #448
Ksyrup

Oh yeah, I also forgot - he slow-danced with Sarver during Tim's performance AND called Tim "Turban."
Old 04-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #449
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The Dunkleman thing is what really surprised me.

I think maybe he knows this is the end of the line and is trying to show a different side to potential employers.

Lets face it, after Simon leaves this show is dead.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #450
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Here's some potentially good news:

Yep that was my thought too when I saw that. It really is time for a shakeup of coaches, music directors, etc on Idol.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote