Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #4401
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Shout out to Ramzavail for gifting me a couple fo Steam games!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:42 AM   #4402
Ramzavail
College Starter

heh, no problem
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #4403
korme
Go Reds

I continually see overwhelming reviews for Stardew Valley and I think it looks interesting. Could someone give me a quick summary of what you do in the game and what the point is?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #4404
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

you farm. You craft. you make friends with neighbors. you help others. It's basically the "get away from it all" game of living on a farm (kinda like animal crossing, where a lot of the fun is just doing the day to day activities and interacting with your fellow villagers.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:30 PM   #4405
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
you farm. You craft. you make friends with neighbors. you help others. It's basically the "get away from it all" game of living on a farm (kinda like animal crossing, where a lot of the fun is just doing the day to day activities and interacting with your fellow villagers.

Am I wrong is saying that it (at least) appears to have a sort of app-game (think Farmville) flavoring & appeal?
Old 03-01-2017, 11:53 PM   #4406
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

well, a bit, but it's something you play to relax, an hour here, an hour there.. farmville is a quick five minute thing (with time gates), here you can play as much or as little as you want. You can play a day worth of game time, or a week so on and so forth, and the villagers have personalities and aren't JUST a source of "Hey I need X of Y".
Old 03-02-2017, 07:40 AM   #4407
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Following Northgard.. it's a bit "lite" right now, but it could turn into a really good city builder.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #4408
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

How RTS-y is it? (Northgard)
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #4409
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I continually see overwhelming reviews for Stardew Valley and I think it looks interesting. Could someone give me a quick summary of what you do in the game and what the point is?

It's a better version of Harvest Moon, if you are familiar with that game. It's nothing groundbreaking, but I am one of those who love the game. It's relaxing, and you can do pretty much whatever you want to.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #4410
Ramzavail
College Starter

I might have an extra copy of Stardew Valley too if anybody is interested but its also on sale right now on Steam.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #4411
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Following Northgard.. it's a bit "lite" right now, but it could turn into a really good city builder.

It has a ton of potential. A lot of work to do to turn it from interesting city builder to really good game, but the polish of what is there gives hope.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #4412
TroyF
Coordinator

I kgot Doom much, much, much later than what I wanted to. . . holy crap this is a good game. This might finally top Half Life 2 as the best shooter I've ever played. I cannot get enough of this game.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #4413
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
I might have an extra copy of Stardew Valley too if anybody is interested but its also on sale right now on Steam.

Well, let me know.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #4414
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
well, a bit, but it's something you play to relax, an hour here, an hour there..

This is correct in theory, but don't believe Fozzie's post about an hour here or hour there. You will constantly tell yourself "just one more day" and then find that six hours have passed and you've played two weeks of in game time.

Best description of Stardew Valley is the love child of Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing with some other stuff thrown in. The beauty is that while growing your farm can be a big component, it is also something that can be almost completely ignored if you wish and you can rather focus on mining or fishing, and to an extent foraging. Everything is completely at your own pace too.

If you do pick it up, I'd recommend trying to avoid the Wiki's and spoilers as much as you can (although I'd say do go the Community Centre route when given the option on Day 3 or whatever). Don't worry about maxing out your profits or anything like that or completing anything quickly.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #4415
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I find myself having difficulty with it.

Is there a place to store things like rocks and sticks so that they don't disappear? I wanna keep them to build things with but putting them in the bin means they disappear right?

Also I simply cannot do the fishing. The first couple were easy but now I fail every time. Is eating a factor in fishing? I haven't seen a need to eat.
At least there are no cues or indications at all that I have to.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:53 PM   #4416
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I find myself having difficulty with it.

Is there a place to store things like rocks and sticks so that they don't disappear? I wanna keep them to build things with but putting them in the bin means they disappear right?

Also I simply cannot do the fishing. The first couple were easy but now I fail every time. Is eating a factor in fishing? I haven't seen a need to eat.
At least there are no cues or indications at all that I have to.

You can craft chests that store items. You're also able to set the color of your chests to help you organize things.

Fishing will get easier as you level up and get access to finishing gear.

Food isn't necessary, but it can give you extra energy to get more work done in a day, heal you in the caves, and give you temporary stat buffs. It can also help get Haley to like you by baking Pink Cake for her.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #4417
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

But how can I level up in fishing if I can't succeed in fishing
Old 03-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #4418
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
But how can I level up in fishing if I can't succeed in fishing

Go to the lake by the mine. They have a lot of carp there, and carp are pretty easy to catch. They don't jerk around too much. Also, at the pier over by Willy's, there is a type of fish (can't remember off the top of my head) that is also pretty easy to catch.

Fishing gets easier with practice, and better equipment. I used to have a terrible time at it, and now I can catch just about anything even with a bamboo pole. It just takes getting used to the feel of it.

Also, and I don't know if this is a spoiler, but I'll tag it anyways:
Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
You can craft chests that store items. You're also able to set the color of your chests to help you organize things.

This is a must for me. I usually have several. One for fishing, one for farming, one for mining, etc. Now that you can change the colors, it really makes it a lot easier to remember which chest is which.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
If you do pick it up, I'd recommend trying to avoid the Wiki's and spoilers as much as you can (although I'd say do go the Community Centre route when given the option on Day 3 or whatever). Don't worry about maxing out your profits or anything like that or completing anything quickly.

This is good advice. The relationships with the other citizens really makes the game come to life. You will have certain characters you like, certain ones you don't, and as the game progresses, you may change your opinions of them as you get to know them. Although I will admit I use the wiki when giving gifts. I don't want to waste an item by giving it to someone who hates it.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #4419
mckerney
Coordinator

Keep trying I guess. There will be some fish that are too difficult to catch really on, but there should be done easier ones and as well. I think the fish in the river and the lake are on average easier to catch in the ocean. If you have them available crab pots can be used to increase skill without having to fish, and I think the fisherman sells a meal that buffs your fishing skill.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #4420
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Okay. Got a chest now. (it's purple !)

I just needed to have the wood in my inventory for it to be an option. At first I thought I had to find the recipe first.

I"m planting my brains out. @#$% jojo's! Pierre's is the best! (except on wednesdays!)

Got a scarecrow too.

Yeah there's a learning curve to this for sure in just what and how to do things.

COuldn't really drop things anywhere either.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #4421
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Fishing will get easier. Don't necessarily spam left click as much as doing a long click and release type approach. I'm not really sure how to describe it better than that but that is what works best for me.

Also, to each their own, but don't go too crazy on planting stuff before you have sprinklers (or an improved watering can). Watering can get tedious and also uses up a lot of your time and energy, leaving little for things such as exploring the mines, chopping wood, or fishing.

Third, watch for worms and hoe them up. I've read that a lot of people have not known about this (or alternatively noticed them). The library books that you find in particular contain a lot of useful information but you also get great artifacts, etc.

Finally, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES let your energy or health get depleted in the mines and pass out. The penalty is severe and it's essentially better to just restart your whole day at that point.

EDIT: Speaking of the mines, you can build a chest inside the mine so that you can leave items there and don't have to cart back and forth.

Also, I'm a big fan of making the first backpack upgrade as soon as you can, doubling how much you can carry. This makes a big difference.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 03-02-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #4423
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
How RTS-y is it? (Northgard)

Haven't played it yet.. watched a few LP videos and it's a good RTS for a short gaming session as the game seems to last 30 mins to an hour or so.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #4424
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It has a ton of potential. A lot of work to do to turn it from interesting city builder to really good game, but the polish of what is there gives hope.

I'm excited to see what the campaign is all about.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #4425
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I want to buy stardew valley for my wife. She doesn't have steam and would run the game on her laptop. Should I buy it on my account? Or set up one of her own? If I do it on my account can she run it if I'm on steam on my other computer?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #4426
Groundhog
Coordinator

You should be able to set the Steam install to offline on her laptop.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #4427
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I want to buy stardew valley for my wife. She doesn't have steam and would run the game on her laptop. Should I buy it on my account? Or set up one of her own? If I do it on my account can she run it if I'm on steam on my other computer?

If you get it on your account she won't be able to play it if you're also playing a game on Steam. You can get her an account and set up family sharing so you'd be able to play it when she's not playing it, and she'd be able to kick you off if you were.

Alternatively it's on GOG and you could both install it on your computers from there and be able to play at the same time. It isn't currently on sale there though.

https://www.gog.com/game/stardew_valley
Old 03-03-2017, 05:19 AM   #4428
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Someday, Abigail! I'll get you!

I'll find more eggs than you one day!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #4429
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
If you get it on your account she won't be able to play it if you're also playing a game on Steam. You can get her an account and set up family sharing so you'd be able to play it when she's not playing it, and she'd be able to kick you off if you were.

Alternatively it's on GOG and you could both install it on your computers from there and be able to play at the same time. It isn't currently on sale there though.

https://www.gog.com/game/stardew_valley

Cool, I think that's a better way to go then to have to set her up with steam. Thanks for the help.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #4430
mckerney
Coordinator

Pre-purchase NieR: Automataâ„¢ on Steam

NieR: Automata finally has a store page, releasing March 17th.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #4431
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

For the King is a tough roguelike RPG game, fun.. but tough as heck so far.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:49 PM   #4432
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone into flight sims? I used to play the heck out of them back in the C64 days.. but watching videos of the upcoming X-Plane 11 has me really thinking about getting a flight stick and picking the game up on 3/30.

Looks very intimidating to play though...
Old 03-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #4433
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I am a sim junkie. As far back as Janes or nothing. I loved X-plane 10 more than anything...so of course I'm waiting on XP11,from what ive seen it is bads ass
Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 PM   #4434
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If you managed to take off, you won the game I think
Old 03-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #4435
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I am a sim junkie. As far back as Janes or nothing. I loved X-plane 10 more than anything...so of course I'm waiting on XP11,from what ive seen it is bads ass

Yeah it looks so realistic.. go to youtube and check out some of the flights from X-Plane 11.. I just wondered how hard it is? I see most use auto pilot once in the air and right up until you're almost on the ground, so maybe not too bad.

Takes like 20 GB of disk space and then more depending on the scenery you want to load.

Flight sims have come a LONG way since F-15 on the C64.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #4436
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I have X-Plane 10. It is as easy as you want it to be. You can enable a ton of help in the settings. So you could have a Cessna already running and only have to release the brake and use throttle and stick to fly.

I like to do the cold start stuff though. Then you learn all the switches.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #4437
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I have X-Plane 10. It is as easy as you want it to be. You can enable a ton of help in the settings. So you could have a Cessna already running and only have to release the brake and use throttle and stick to fly.

I like to do the cold start stuff though. Then you learn all the switches.

Yeah I want to learn all that stuff.. the videos will help. It's like a $100 investment with joystick and game so I just wondered if anyone has played 10 or 11 and enjoy it.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #4438
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:

If you managed to take off, you won the game I think
Played this like crazy. Well, crashed like crazy anyway. You can find it at Good Old Games for $10. I haven't played it in a while but I updated it with the Free Falcon mod a few years back. I think that the go-to mod now is BMS 4.33. If you like aerial combat with a campaign this one still holds up.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #4439
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I purchased Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator from Steam and ordered a
Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick ... really excited to get back into flight simming.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-16-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #4440
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Codex of Victory was released today... a turn based strategy game by the makers of Warlock.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #4441
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Motorsport manager is 50% off for those who were holding out on that one..

I think i'm gonna get tabletop simulator at some point, but keep missing the sale..

Also is a play for free mode next 7 days.

Last edited by Ragone : 03-20-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #4442
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I just saw a game called Crisis in the Kremlin for $5. You take control of the USSR right at the time Gorbachev did historically. It sounds a little like Democracy, but in Russia. Looks like my type of game, but most of the reviews say it is really confusing.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:37 PM   #4443
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
I just saw a game called Crisis in the Kremlin for $5. You take control of the USSR right at the time Gorbachev did historically. It sounds a little like Democracy, but in Russia. Looks like my type of game, but most of the reviews say it is really confusing.

That's an early 90's game that I still have all the 3.5" (cause I don't know what to with them, and can't bear to get rid of any, like any, of my old software) for. It was one of my favs back in the day. I beat it senseless, but it was fun while it lasted.

You could play as Gorby, Yeltsin, or a hard liner whose name evades me.

Looks like it's been updated. Sort of.

It was way ahead of it's time back then. One of those old throwbacks that had a 200 page manual.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-23-2017 at 12:07 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #4444
rjolley
College Starter

Has anyone used SCDKey.com to purchase software? They have Windows 10 Pro for ~$15. I was thinking of picking it up.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #4445
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I knew of the same OS prices before I installed a new motherboard in my HTPC and there are also many sellers on Reddit. Chances are the key you are given will activate but I've read too many stories of them not working further down the line for my liking. There is a possibility it could be deactivated by Microsoft at any time. I ended up buying a totally legit key this last go around.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #4446
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Btw, not sure if it applies in your case, but it's still possible to upgrade to 10 for free.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 03-23-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #4447
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Btw, not sure if it applies in your case, but it's still possible to upgrade to 10 for free.

Thanks. I have Win10 on my machine, but was thinking of picking up Win10 Pro and installing it on my main machine.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #4448
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

how?
Old 03-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #4449
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acces...ndows10upgrade
Old 03-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #4450
Thomkal
Head Coach

thanks!