Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #4351
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh and I saw The Other Guys last week, I forgot. It was entertaining and the cameos were hilarious too.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #4353
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
The Town - 8/10 - I won tickets to an advance screening from a local radio station. I thought it was a very good crime film with an emotional center. Ben Affleck does a great job both in front of and behind the camera. A lot of people will probably compare it to The Departed because both are crime films set in Boston but I think they're actually quite different. I highly recommend seeing this one in theaters.

This one looks like a must see to me. It looks to be along the lines of Gone Baby Gone, which was one of the better movies that I've seen in the past several years.

Kind of surprising that Affleck has become more of an indy/Academy-type actor/director/producer, while Damon has become a big budget-type. I would have bet those roles to be reversed 10-years ago.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #4354
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
The Town - 8/10 - I won tickets to an advance screening from a local radio station. I thought it was a very good crime film with an emotional center. Ben Affleck does a great job both in front of and behind the camera. A lot of people will probably compare it to The Departed because both are crime films set in Boston but I think they're actually quite different. I highly recommend seeing this one in theaters.

As a follow up I predict Jeremy Renner will win Best Supporting Actor for his performance in The Town. He's that good.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #4355
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Lemonade - It's a documentary flick about ad people and what they decided to do after being laid off. Not exactly a Main Street story of folks of limited means, but at the same time...it's somewhat enjoyable and short, if nothing else clocking in at about 35 minutes or so.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #4357
Groundhog
Coordinator

Public Enemies - 6/10
Should've been much, much better considering the cast and director. Played out like a documentary with little-to-no character building (outside of a few scenes that often felt forced, especially the lame coda), yet didn't even succeed in that respect because the timeline of events was out. At the end, didn't care about Dillinger, his death, or his relationship with his gal, which was the most forced thing about the entire movie. Seriously, there was zero chemistry between them.

Not a terrible movie or anything like that, but very disappointing. Earns bonus points for the sets and costumes.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #4358
whomario
Pro Starter

Monsters

I just read a few reviews, so i guess itīs not as much of a slepper recomendation, but anyway ... A couple weeks ago i saw this little gem at a filmfestival here in Germany and itīs just great, propably most immersive film iīve seen this year.
Sort of a classic monster movie built around a rescue-mission/conspiracy story in documentary style (but no shaky handheld style or even shot by a film character, thank goodness for that), but more concentrating on how a new danger affects everyone and how people deal with it and less on any specific event/attack or whatever. The premise of "Alien Life" having been on earth and how it changed things is really good.
Thatīs not to say the monster parts arenīt helluva impressive (especially considering it was shot for like 250000 pound), but it just seems more grounded than f.e. Cloverfield, you care way more about the people involved and also the general situation.

Will come out in october in the US as far as i know, might be a bit more widespread due to success of aforementioned films (or Paranormal Activity).
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 09-20-2010 at 08:04 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #4359
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Wasn't sure where to post this, but this seemed like the best spot since the movie had received alot of attention here....

Steve Wiebe, the hero of the documentary King of Kong, is once again the King Kong champion. Billy Mitchell retook the title from Wiebe after the movie, only to have it broken by Hank Chien. Mitchell then retook the record on July 31 with 1,062,800 points. Less than a month later on August 20, Wiebe scored 1,064,500 which has now been verified by Twin Galaxies.

Steve Wiebe is the King of Kong again | Joystiq

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #4360
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Wasn't sure where to post this, but this seemed like the best spot since the movie had received alot of attention here....

Steve Wiebe, the hero of the documentary King of Kong, is once again the King Kong champion. Billy Mitchell retook the title from Wiebe after the movie, only to have it broken by Hank Chien. Mitchell then retook the record on July 31 with 1,062,800 points. Less than a month later on August 20, Wiebe scored 1,064,500 which has now been verified by Twin Galaxies.

Steve Wiebe is the King of Kong again | Joystiq

Thank god, Billy Mitchell just seems like a jerk.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #4361
molson
General Manager

Congrats to Steve. He's probably happier than Peyton Manning is after winning a super bowl.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #4362
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Traitor - 8/10

Really cool movie about an American-Sudanese Muslim arms dealer who essentially gets involved with and joins an Islamic terrorist group. Don Cheadle really pulls this film completely together from the start to finish.

I also just found out by looking at its Wiki that this was a story idea by Steve Martin, who is also an executive producer!
Old 09-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #4363
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Crazies - I netflixed this movie with moderate expectations. I believe cthomer recommended it in his final podcast, and that was what I was going on. I have to say it was a very good movie. Good acting, suspenseful, plenty of action, intriguing plot. Low on cheesiness. Just what I'd hope for in a movie based on zombie-like crazy people (It's not a true zombie movie). 4.5 out of 5. Highly recommend it. As cthomer might say, it was "surprisingly entertaining."
Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #4364
fpres
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The Crazies - I netflixed this movie with moderate expectations. I believe cthomer recommended it in his final podcast, and that was what I was going on. I have to say it was a very good movie. Good acting, suspenseful, plenty of action, intriguing plot. Low on cheesiness. Just what I'd hope for in a movie based on zombie-like crazy people (It's not a true zombie movie). 4.5 out of 5. Highly recommend it. As cthomer might say, it was "surprisingly entertaining."

Just saw this too. You've summed up my feelings to a T.

----------
Date Night (2010) - 7/10 -- I'm not a Tina Fey fan at all, but the wife wanted to see this movie. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised. Nice acting all around. The Carell-Fey couple seemed to work fairly well.
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #4365
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Saw the Russell Crowe Robin Hood. It was entertaining enough and a totally different arc than what I would've expected. in terms of the way the story went together.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #4366
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Saw the Russell Crowe Robin Hood. It was entertaining enough and a totally different arc than what I would've expected. in terms of the way the story went together.

I can't imagine a better Robin Hood that Crowe. That was an underrated movie, IMO.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #4367
Kodos
Resident Alien

Kevin Costner, baby! Kevin Costner!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #4368
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Kevin Costner, baby! Kevin Costner!

I would rank him somewhere below Cary Elwes and the animated fox that played Robin Hood in a cartoon I saw in the 80s.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #4369
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I can't imagine a better Robin Hood that Crowe. That was an underrated movie, IMO.

Crowe? Really? He's a great actor but takes himself too seriously and is thus completely wrong for the role of Robin Hood. The best Robin Hoods have been Erroll Flynn, Douglas Fairbanks, and Sean Connery. Cary Elwes was actually a great choice for Robin Hood and would've been terrific in a non-spoof version.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-28-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #4370
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I loved the Costner version and was sort of annoyed they made this one. But this one is more of a reboot than a Robin Hood story revisited.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #4371
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

"Mark Zuckerberg Did Not Enjoy 'The Social Network'" by Chase Mitchell on CollegeHumor
Old 09-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #4372
Groundhog
Coordinator

I would've liked Robin Hood more if it had been called something else and wasn't at all about Robin Hood (which it basically wasn't anyway).
Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #4373
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Ugh, I couldn't stand the Costner version. It was dark, depressing and had none of the fun or pizazz of the best versions of the story. Plus, Costner was just awful in the role and Christian Slater was ridiculously out of place in a period setting. They wasted a great performance by Alan Rickman.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #4374
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

In the Loop saw it on one of the movie channels, and was a bit underwhelmed by it.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #4375
Schmidty
Coordinator

All I know is that I accidentally cum when I watch this trailer:

Old 09-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #4376
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
In the Loop saw it on one of the movie channels, and was a bit underwhelmed by it.

Really? I thought it had some intelligent humor. A must-see for anyone who likes to laugh at politics.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #4377
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Reefer Madness

Umm, best watched with your drug of choice and available on Netflix
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #4378
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

The Town 10/10

I really think this is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. It was long, but the the nonstop tension made the time fly by. For me, Affleck has hit two homeruns, Gone Baby Gone and now The Town. I can't wait to see what he directs next.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #4379
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

Ok, I'm torn about this. I'm a big John Wayne movie fan and love True Grit. I also like just about everyone involved in the version from the trailer and I'm pretty sure it will be good. It's just that the original is a classic and will be hard to not make comparisons to the original and hard to think of anyone besides the Duke, as Rooster Cogburn. I'm sure I will go see it though.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #4380
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I just watched a couple movies from the local rental place.

Kick Ass and That Evening Sun

I thought Kick Ass was very well done. Very enjoyable.

I really loved That Evening Sun, though. A more character driven then plot driven movie as Hal Holbrook shines bright. I watched this movie because of Hal Holbrook. Something about his showing in Into The Wild really stayed with me. Holbrook plays an elderly man who "runs" from a retirement community to return to his rural Tennessee farm. He returns to find that his son rented it out to a younger man from Holbrook's past. A man he despises. I have to say it again, Holbrook was brilliant.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #4381
Bad-example
College Starter

The Spirit - 6/10 Looks a lot like Sin City as you might expect but it didn't really grab me. Nothing special in my book.

Super High Me - 7/10 A documentary about a comedian who quits pot for 30 days and then spends the following 30 days constantly high. Inspired by a joke from his act. Pretty funny in parts with a lot of cameos. Not slick at all and pretty inconsistent but not a bad way to spend a couple hours.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #4382
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

The Social Network 10/10

There is a lot to talk about when you leave this movie. It was just excellent in every aspect. I feel like I have been very fortunate this week after watching The Town and The Social Network.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #4383
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Saw The Town last night. It was really good. Predictable in some ways, not in others, but it was always moving so you almost never realized it was being predictable. Agree with whoever said that the #2 guy will probably get an Academy Award nod for Best Supporting.

Affleck will probably get one or the other for it too...he was awesome.

If anything I would have liked the movie to be longer, to better develop some of the relationships that maybe got a bit of a short-shrift. Director's Cut maybe??

Also - look for Blake Lively as Jem's sister and Ben Affleck's old love interest. Had I realized it was her those scenes would have been a lot more of a turn-on. Sexy lil bustier-top she's wearing and all.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-03-2010 at 08:11 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #4384
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

#2 guy John Hamm? If so, I'm glad and can't wait to check out. Big Mad Men fan and was hoping he'd do great.

EDIt: Nm, saw you guys are talking about Renner.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 10-03-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #4385
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
#2 guy John Hamm? If so, I'm glad and can't wait to check out. Big Mad Men fan and was hoping he'd do great.

EDIt: Nm, saw you guys are talking about Renner.

Yep - thought he was good.

Hamm's in it too though - he plays the FBI agent who's after them. Not really a focal point, but I thought he did good in his scenes.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-03-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #4386
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The Social Network is terrific.

I was reflecting after seeing it that this has actually been an underrated year for enjoyable/well done movies. Opinions may vary, of course, but I would put the following in the Very Good/Excellent level:

Shutter Island
Kick-Ass
Toy Story III
Inception
The Town
The Social Network

and Very Solid level:

Book of Eli
Alice in Wonderland
Date Night
Iron Man II
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World
The American
Wall Street 2

As well as a string of "fun" movies that I myself enjoyed immensely, even if they aren't necessarily of great quality:

The A-Team
Knight & Day
The Expendables

...and that's just entering October.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #4387
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

you've seen all those?

jeezus
Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #4388
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
you've seen all those?

jeezus

And more. I am a movie nut. I usually catch a movie every weekend at some point (unless it's all crap that has come out).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #4389
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I wish I had an actual theater around here. I'd be right there with you in how many movies I've seen. But my theater currently has:

The Social Network
Alpha and Omega
Wall Street
Devil
Legend of the Guardians
Old 10-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #4390
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, living in LA has its benefits. There are theaters everywhere.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #4391
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Have you seen Never Let Me Go? The book is amazing. Was really excited about the movie. From the positive reviews I've seen I have a feeling I will really really enjoy it but it's not getting the amount of positive reviews I was hoping for.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #4392
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Have you seen Never Let Me Go? The book is amazing. Was really excited about the movie. From the positive reviews I've seen I have a feeling I will really really enjoy it but it's not getting the amount of positive reviews I was hoping for.

I think it was only released Limited around here (and presumeably everywhere). Sometimes that's wide enough to still get in some of the big theaters around here, but usually in that case, it's only showing at the smaller "edgy" theaters in the Hollywood area.

I never read the book, so to me, I don't know too much about it. I'll admit I am sometimes a victim of Rotten Tomatoes' reviews. I know what kind of movies I like, so I will accept lower reviews on RT for them and still go see them, because I know I'll probably still be entertained. But if it's not a genre in my wheel house and it's getting poor reviews, there's next to no chance I'll see it in the theater. I think Never Let Me Go was middle ground on RT in reviews, although not sure. In any case, it wasn't showing in theaters too close to me, I think, and came out the same weekend as The Town (not only a terrific movie, but exactly my kind of movie, too).

Old 10-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #4393
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I understand totally.

I am guilty of the same thing when it comes to movie reviews. Maybe not RT totally, but with my own select choice of movie critics. I'm sure I have missed a lot of good movies, but I just assume it gives me better odds of seeing a good movie.

I am the same way with books, as well.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #4394
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Town - 10/10
I had been trying to catch this since it came out and we were able to get a babysitter last night, so we went to see it. I don't want to give too much away, but I really liked the way it unraveled -- it didn't use any tricks or other common, recent devices to resolve itself. Like DT said, you could mostly see where it was headed, but it was a good ride getting there.

Renner was outstanding and it is really impressive watching Affleck transform his career (after Daredevil, Gigli, and Jersey Girl) into someone that I am actually looking forward to see in future projects. I'd put this up there with Gone Baby Gone as must-see crime dramas.

On a side note, the preview for Catfish has me very interested.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #4395
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

You could pitch the worst movie ever to me and if you then showed me a trailer for it and it had Jeff Bridges I'd be 100% on board and want to see it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:20 AM   #4396
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
The Social Network is terrific.

I was reflecting after seeing it that this has actually been an underrated year for enjoyable/well done movies. Opinions may vary, of course, but I would put the following in the Very Good/Excellent level:

Shutter Island
Kick-Ass
Toy Story III
Inception
The Town
The Social Network

and Very Solid level:

Book of Eli
Alice in Wonderland
Date Night
Iron Man II
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World
The American
Wall Street 2

As well as a string of "fun" movies that I myself enjoyed immensely, even if they aren't necessarily of great quality:

The A-Team
Knight & Day
The Expendables

...and that's just entering October.
Ive seen all of those except The American, and i would agree with you point for point excepting The Expendables(my friends loved it, but it just wasn't fun for me). But its good to know we have similar tastes, ill go back and look at other movies you have reviewed and see if i missed any gems
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #4397
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

And the full theatrical trailer of True Grit:

Old 10-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #4398
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd have to agree on the underrated year comment. My favorites this year have been Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Inception, How to Train Your Dragon, and Despicable Me. I really enjoyed Toy Story 3 and Kick-Ass as well. Alice in Wonderland was visually enjoyable and fairly fun story wise. Iron Man II was a good sequal.

And from what I've heard, Get Him to the Greek was hilarious.

And I'm going to see Easy A tonight (hopefully) and The Social Network tomorrow.

Have to find some time to see The Town.

And some interesting movies coming out soon. This weekend has Secretariat. Then we have the Clint Eastwood directed The Hereafter. In November there is Due Date (with Downey Jr and Galafinakis - could be great or horrible), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 1, Disney's Tangled, and then potential fun sequals The Chronicles of Narnia: The Dawn Treader, and Tron: Legacy.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-04-2010 at 04:19 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #4399
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I'm driving the forty-five minutes to a real theater and plan on seeing Social Network and The Town back-to-back. Hope my expectations are not too high.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #4400
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Easy A - 7/10: A cute and charming comedy with a pretty good message about how important a reputation can be. I enjoyed the quirky humor and wit throughout and Emma Stone was fantastic in the starring role. Nice flashbacks and callbacks to 80s teen films throughout (which the movie was more than a slight bit reminiscent of), but, in that guise, was a bit predictable as to the final ending and the supporting characters tended to be a bit stereotypical.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-05-2010 at 12:03 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote