Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #4301
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Stumbled upon it on the local CBS affiliate. It runs opposite SNL, apparently.

Lemme guess ... WGME in Portland?

(It's owned & operated by Sinclair)
Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #4302
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Some sort of serious situation involving Jerry Lawler just happened on RAW. Apparently he collapsed at ringside.

Meltzer:

Quote:
Something happened regarding Jerry Lawler during the Prime Time Players vs. Kane & Daniel Bryan match.

He had what was described as appearing like a seizure a few minutes ago. The medical team at this moment is at the announcers table. That's why the crowd was looking off to the announcers table and paying no attention to the match.

The report is people are running all over the place seemingly not knowing what to do during the commercial break.

We'll update this as we get more information.

First update: The crew is cleaning up the floor. He may have thrown up but that's not certain.

Lawler fell off his chair. They rushed seven or eight people there and lifted him up and took him backstage. Cole's face looked like he saw a ghost.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #4303
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

That's horrible. Hope he's alright.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #4304
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not sounding good, reports (I'm not watching until just now) that Cole said Lawler was getting CPR backstage

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-10-2012 at 09:29 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #4305
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not sounding good, reports (I'm not watching until just now) that Cole said Lawler was getting CPR backstage

Yeah he said it on Raw. Based on his tone I expect the worst.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #4306
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Live reports from Raw (via Twitter, etc) sound very bad.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #4307
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Cole just updated on air/on camera that Lawler is at a local hospital, is rcvg oxygen but is breathing on his own. No further commentary on tonight's Raw, but they're hoping for an update before the show leaves the air.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #4308
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Saw this news on twitter so figured I'd try to catch something on the show. Honestly, that guy didn't sound like he could break character and my wife and I couldn't tell if it was part of the show or not. I assumed it wasn't, but couldn't tell it by the way the guy looked/sounded like he was acting. Strange.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #4309
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Saw this news on twitter so figured I'd try to catch something on the show. Honestly, that guy didn't sound like he could break character and my wife and I couldn't tell if it was part of the show or not. I assumed it wasn't, but couldn't tell it by the way the guy looked/sounded like he was acting. Strange.

Cole isn't a good enough actor to fake it.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #4310
General Mike
Pro Starter

Bryan Alvarez ‏@bryanalvarez
People crying in the back, not knowing what to do, being herded around
Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #4311
molson
General Manager

More from WO.com

"From backstage, nobody is paying attention to the show and most of the guys are in various groups praying. They don't know anything more than what is being said on TV.

Jerry Lawler was hooked up to oxygen when he was being taken out.

They just announced in the building that the Pat Patterson Appreciation Night segment was being postponed due to what happened."
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #4312
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
People crying in the back, not knowing what to do

Your job. He's already been taken care off the best that he can be. Finish the show and then go from there.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #4313
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Your job. He's already been taken care off the best that he can be. Finish the show and then go from there.

That's what those who have roles left have done, remarkably well for the most part.

But there's somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 or so folks on the roster + backstage people (never mind crew, etc) that'd be backstage without any further role other than waiting for the show to end.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-10-2012 at 10:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #4314
molson
General Manager

I saw this thread bumped about an hour and twenty minutes into RAW, which I hadn't started watching yet, and I had a sense of dread (because I figured nothing bump-worthy was going on unless it was bad). I went to the Observer site just to peak to get a quick idea if something had gone REALLY wrong, without getting run-of-the-mill spoilers, and the site wouldn't even load. So I started watching, expecting "something" big, and probably really bad, to happen And Bret Hart looked really old and sweaty, I was thinking something happened with him.

And I guess this was just on TV:

"According to Michael Cole, Jerry Lawler is more responsive, he's reacting to light in his eye, he's in the isolated emergency room in a Montreal hospital awaiting a CATSCAN and he is fighting hard."

Last edited by molson : 09-10-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #4315
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from Wrestling Observer
Quote:
We have a few updated notes on Jerry Lawler. It is now confirmed that Lawler suffered a heart attack. As of the last word, he is in stable condition, still breathing on his own and his heart is beating on its own, but he is not out of danger, so please keep any prayers going for him.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #4316
molson
General Manager

Here's the segment roughly queued up.

WWE RAW 9/10/12 - Part 11/17 (HQ) - Monday Night Raw 09/10/12 - YouTube

It's lucky it happened in just about the best possible place for that to happen, medics were there within a minute.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #4317
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
from Wrestling Observer

Would he go into convulsions if he was having a heart attack?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #4318
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Could be hypertension attack leading to a myocardial infarc. Scary shit.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #4319
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Some reports saying he was clinically dead for 20 minutes. He did wrestle that night which is nuts. As molson said, it's best that it happened there where there was a lot of medical personnel. Couldn't imagine how it would have gone if it happened during the match.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #4320
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Would he go into convulsions if he was having a heart attack?

if he passed out/coded and then vomited, it could appear that he was convulsing or seizing as he was throwing up...the whole body typically constricts when you vomit since your muscles and organs are trying to get crap out of you
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #4321
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Some reports saying he was clinically dead for 20 minutes. He did wrestle that night which is nuts.
Wait, he wrestled after he passed out?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #4322
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Wait, he wrestled after he passed out?

No, he wrestled about 30 minutes before he collapsed.

The "clinically dead" stuff comes from a Smith Hart (Bret's brother) tweet relaying what some randy indy wrestler backstage told him, so that's meaningless, but I think its fair to take from it that they were giving him CPR backstage for around 20 minutes in view of everyone, which would explain the reports about everybody freaking out and praying in groups.

Last edited by molson : 09-11-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #4323
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

He could have pulled a Randy 'The Ram' Robinson.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #4324
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The latest official update, from shortly after noon, is kinda encouraging

Quote:
As of this morning, Jerry "The King" Lawler is in a cardiac care unit and all his vital signs are stable. WWE will provide additional information as it becomes available. We continue to wish Jerry all the best for a full recovery
Old 09-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #4325
molson
General Manager

Meltzer was saying last night that Lawler has never drank, smoked, or used drugs, but that he didn't eat that great, was always on the road, and never got medical check-ups. (Edit: Also, his current girlfriend graduated from high school in 2007) He gets around remarkably well for a guy who has been wrestling for 40-years, and he looked particularly spry last night - the height he gets on that standing dropkick he does is ridiculous.

I think we'll see a lot fewer old wrestling "legends" wrestle in the WWE. That's a pretty strenuous activity even at low-speed, a lot of guys have had heart attacks in the ring. Lawler was there when Moondog Spot died in the ring a few years back.

Last edited by molson : 09-11-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #4326
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Some people can do everything right and just have the genetics where this happens. Seems like they've taken care of the problem. Just a matter of knowing whether time without oxygen caused damage. But it sounds like there was medical personnel with him right away so his body probably didn't go long without it.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #4327
Mota
College Benchwarmer

That is so sad. We've seen so many wrestlers go over the years, but surprisingly few serious injuries in the ring.
Obviously Lawler has a lot of good years left ahead of him, hopefully he is able to fully recover, and doesn't suffer from a lot of long-term effects.
They really need to stop giving ring time to 50+ guys though. Both Steamboat and Lawler now have had serious complications after ring time. We need to recognize and remember the greats, but leave the in-ring work to guys in their primes.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #4328
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

It's crazy to think they used to have Moolah in there when she was what, in her 70s? 80s?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #4329
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
It's crazy to think they used to have Moolah in there when she was what, in her 70s? 80s?

I was going to post a video of the Dudley Boys putting Mae Young through a table but the WWE (in helpful cooperation with the Linda McMahon campaign, no doubt), has put copyright claims on that video specifically. They also have successfully gone after the clip of Vince ordering Trish Stratus to strip down to her bra and panties and then go on all fours and bark like a dog. The WWE used to be ridiculous.

Last edited by molson : 09-11-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #4330
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

So I am reading reports that Jerry Lawler had received angioplasty with three stents. That's the same cost as undergoing open heart bypass, with more potential for the arteries to block again.

For those of you who read my thread regarding my dad, this hits close to home.

The fact that he had three stents put in means that he has serious heart issues.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #4331
molson
General Manager

W.O. says Lawler's kids and ex-wife report no brain damage, and that Lawler was talking and laughing in his hospital room as of this afternoon, and writing detailed notes prior to that.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #4332
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Saw an interview with Michael Cole from Fox and Friends (linked on PW.NET), he was the one who called the docs (after muting his microphone).

He certainly sounds a lot different, either his voice is going, or he's one hell of an announcer to turn that rasp into the voice we know (and somewhat loath)
Old 09-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #4333
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 09-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #4334
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 09-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #4335
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Atta boy King
Old 09-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #4336
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Now that's a tough dude.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #4337
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

5 Insane True Tales of Wrestlers Refusing to Break Character | Cracked.com
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #4338
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So I see where last night's Raw was the least watched non-holiday episode in 15 years.

borrowing here from pwtorch.com
As noted earlier, Monday night's episode of RAW drew a 2.54 (2.5) cable rating, with 3.5 million viewers. That number is down 7% from last week's 2.72 and 3.785 million viewers and accounts for not only the lowest rating of the year, but the lowest viewership in over 15 years. The show did hours of 3.44 million viewers for the first hour, 3.60 million for the second and 3.47 million for the third. The show ranked #3 on cable for the night ... #2 in all key male demos behind MNF. and registered year-lows in males 12-34, males 18-49, males 18-34, adults 18-49, and adults 18-34.

What caught my eye more though was a note about how a lot of the show was apparently cut from the version available on Hulu. Here's the list of the parts edited out

Quote:
The following matches and segments were cut from RAW on Hulu:

• The first half of Primo & Epico vs. Sin Cara & Rey Mysterio
• The Antonio Cesaro vs. Brodus Clay match, but not the segment with Kaitlyn, AJ, and her coach
• The Big Show/Sheamus Debate
• Tensai vs. Ryback
• The backstage segment with Rhodes and Sandow mocking Sheamus
• Eve Torres vs. Beth Phoenix
• The backstage segment with AJ and her coach talking to Wade Barrett
• Cole and JR talking about JBL's climb on Mt. Kilimanjaro
• Santino Marella vs. Heath Slater w/X-Factor 2.0 aka Jinder Mahal & Drew McIntyre
• Alberto Del Rio's entrance for his match with Kofi Kingston

I read that list a couple of times & I think I've got a pretty good idea of why the episode didn't draw ... a huge chunk of it involved people who couldn't get over with a rocket strapped to their back. Dear Lord, that looks like a Shotgun match list, not a Raw match list.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #4339
molson
General Manager

The number was guaranteed to go way down when they went to three hours, the only question is whether the millions they got from USA to make that move is worth it in the long run.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #4340
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

plus no Cena for the little kiddies and MNF
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #4341
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
plus no Cena for the little kiddies and MNF

I'm way past "little kiddie" age but Cena reading a phone book is more interesting than over half that crap.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #4342
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

They just don't have a lot of bankable guys. Sort of what happens when you bury everyone new the minute they get to the top. Or try to make every face and heel have the same exact persona.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #4343
molson
General Manager

I don't get all the hate though, how popular is guys in tights fake fighting supposed to be? More than the most watched non-sports show on cable TV (even if the rating goes down even more, which it almost always will as people go away from TV to other entertainment mediums?) They're certainly a lot more popular than real fighting. And they do better business-wise now, in a terrible economy, than they've done any time in history with the exception of two fluke periods (in booming economies). Meanwhile nobody else makes any money doing this, nobody. You'd think if it was so easy and they were so incompetent in a business-sense, they'd have competition at some point in the last 12 or 13 years. Not a single internet booking genius has been able to make a dime. I know a lot of them don't like the booking stuff, as opposed to the business, but the "good booking" companies draw 50 people a show and botch 4 or 5 consecutive IPPVs that don't draw in the 4 digits even if they could deliver it without technical implosion. Ah well. We are in approximately year 12 of the "internet consensus is everything always sucks" era (the era title could be some work, but certainly it's been the same since around 2001 in that regard), and they're still hanging in there, finding new revenue streams. The attitude era ain't walking through that door, folks

Last edited by molson : 10-03-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #4344
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yes, there's a Hulk Hogan sex tape being shopped. Yes, 90 seconds of the 30 minute tape (edited but NSFW) are on Gawker.

Yes, it seems to feature him with the wife of Bubba the Love Sponge.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #4345
stevew
Hall Of Famer

lol. All i can say is-

That hairline is especially hilarious from the perspective of the video.
his ass must be about 8430 shades lighter than the rest of his body.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #4346
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Did Hulkamania run wild all over her face?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #4347
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
lol. All i can say is-

That hairline is especially hilarious from the perspective of the video.
his ass must be about 8430 shades lighter than the rest of his body.

ewwww you watched? did he hulk up?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #4348
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lol. The clip on Gawker is blurry. Looks like it was shot via surveillance camera. Hogan stops to take a call(his ringtone is one of Brooke's songs) I didnt watch the full clip though.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #4349
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Before watching that, I always assumed he meant his arms when he talked about the 24 inch pythons
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #4350
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

http://www.wwe.com/videos/cm-punk-an...we-13-26059936

Man i want to see Punk vs Austin so bad.