Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #4301
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Saying we should just trust the people who instituted a system of torture is de facto supporting the torture. You can't be against torture and for a system of torture.

And we most certainly did not see widespread, legalized torture during any other time in our nation's history. There have always been incidents on the battlefield, but there has never been a system legalizing torture for the CIA and all branches of the military. That's the critical difference. We went from having rare cases of torture that had the threat of prosecution attached to them to a system where torture was determined to be legal and was encouraged by our highest civilian and military leaders. There is no comparaison to any other time in our nation's history.

I just said that a system of torture isn't the way to go. And I said AGAIN, that the issue isn't trust. I'm not doing a good job of making my point, so I give up.

Last edited by molson : 08-26-2009 at 10:06 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #4302
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

How ironic that because the democrats in the Massachusetts state senate wanted to prevent our Republican governor from appointing a Republican to fill John Kerry's seat if he won the Presidency and thus changed our rules for filling vacant seats to require a 150-day waiting period (which they are now trying to get changed), that now the Late Senator Kennedy's seat will sit vacant for 5 months during this fierce healthcare debate, and this adds to the difficulty in getting this legislation on a cause that was so near-and-dear to him passed.

Quote:
Just last week, Kennedy urged that the law be changed to allow the governor to appoint a temporary replacement until the special election can be held.

In a letter to Gov. Deval Patrick and other state leaders, Kennedy said he supports the current law, but added, "I also believe it is vital for [Massachusetts] to have two voices speaking for the needs of its citizens and two votes in the Senate during the approximately five months between a vacancy and an election."

The letter is dated July 2 but was not sent until August 19 -- less than a week before Kennedy died.

Kennedy has championed universal health care for years and wanted to make sure Democrats have the votes they may need for passage of a comprehensive bill.

He called the issue the cause of his life, and he hoped to see legislation that would "guarantee that every American will have decent, quality health care as a fundamental right," as he said at the 2008 Democratic Convention.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-26-2009 at 11:16 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #4303
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good Lord. Ted's not even dead for a day yet and we've got a Democratic senator already invoking his name in regard to the health care bill. He wants to name the damn bill after him.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...r_Kennedy.html
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #4304
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I just said that a system of torture isn't the way to go. And I said AGAIN, that the issue isn't trust. I'm not doing a good job of making my point, so I give up.

Tortue is never the way to go, because it doesn't produce results. I'm good with what the CIA was doing though, that produced results.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #4305
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Good Lord. Ted's not even dead for a day yet and we've got a Democratic senator already invoking his name in regard to the health care bill. He wants to name the damn bill after him.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...r_Kennedy.html

I'm all for it. It was the guy's basically like...life goal.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #4306
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

To have his name on an ill-conceived health care reform bill?

Let's not pretend anymore. This bill is heading downhill at this point. Ted's death is an excellent opportunity to politicize the event and try to rescue the bill. It took less than 12 hours for that to happen. That's embarrassing.

With that said, I have no doubt that Ted would want it that way.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #4307
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I would have sworn that effort actually started around the time he was diagnosed, or at least seem to recall hearing about someone's intention to do so. In other words, even before he died this was being planned, at least I seem to have some vague recollection of hearing something to that effect.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-26-2009 at 03:04 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #4308
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ditto.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #4309
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I would have sworn that effort actually started around the time he was diagnosed, or at least seem to recall hearing about someone's intention to do so. In other words, even before he died this was being planned, at least I seem to have some vague recollection of hearing something to that effect.

I'll echo that. I'm pretty sure this isn't the first I've heard of it.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #4310
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

I vaguely remember tuning in to Rush for the first time in months today, and hearing that too. Maybe that's where your recollection comes from.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #4311
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I vaguely remember tuning in to Rush for the first time in months today, and hearing that too. Maybe that's where your recollection comes from.

Nope, not me. I doubt I hear Rush live more than 3-4 times a year, if that much, and today wasn't one of those days. I'll catch a half hour or so of Hannity maybe once or twice a month, Savage if happen to be in the car when he's aired in Atlanta, otherwise the only talkers I hear are Neil Boortz & (consumer advice guru) Clark Howard and those only because my wife likes 'em both.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #4312
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Quote wars on a message board are worthless.
-Mizzou B-ball Fan

hmmmm, I seem to recall a moment in time recently where a past quote of yours cut off probably, WEEKS, of pointless back and forth. I am thankful for the person who found that quote and nipped that ridiculousness in the bud.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #4313
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
How ironic that because the democrats in the Massachusetts state senate wanted to prevent our Republican governor from appointing a Republican to fill John Kerry's seat if he won the Presidency and thus changed our rules for filling vacant seats to require a 150-day waiting period (which they are now trying to get changed), that now the Late Senator Kennedy's seat will sit vacant for 5 months during this fierce healthcare debate, and this adds to the difficulty in getting this legislation on a cause that was so near-and-dear to him passed.

I say "Good", If youre going to screw around the rules to be unfair than you should have to be affected by the same rules.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #4314
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

Let's not pretend anymore. This bill is heading downhill at this point.

youre so good at calling these things.

Quote:
Ted's death is an excellent opportunity to politicize the event and try to rescue the bill. It took less than 12 hours for that to happen. That's embarrassing.

you have no shame.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #4315
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Nope, not me. I doubt I hear Rush live more than 3-4 times a year, if that much, and today wasn't one of those days. I'll catch a half hour or so of Hannity maybe once or twice a month, Savage if happen to be in the car when he's aired in Atlanta, otherwise the only talkers I hear are Neil Boortz & (consumer advice guru) Clark Howard and those only because my wife likes 'em both.

Yeah, I like Clark Howard too. I wish they hadn't stopped running his show here (except on Saturday).
Old 08-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #4316
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
you have no shame.

Actually I don't think there's any shame needed on that comment (re: Ted would have wanted it that way).

If there's any person who was pretty much bred to a career in politics, Ted Kennedy would be a pretty darned good example. And there's absolutely nothing in his background that would indicate a reluctance to use whatever assets at his disposal to accomplish an end.

Truth is I don't believe he would have been genuinely offended by that sort of observation at all nor should he have been. There's nothing shameful about using perfectly legal means at hand to accomplish a task, doubly true if it's a task you're deeply committed to.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #4317
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Let's not pretend anymore. This bill is heading downhill at this point. Ted's death is an excellent opportunity to politicize the event and try to rescue the bill. It took less than 12 hours for that to happen. That's embarrassing.

I've never felt as confident that a bill will pass as I do now.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #4318
Flasch186
Coordinator

the shame was for that whole quote, the whole thing is opportunistic on MBBF's part and ridiculous. He takes every pot shot (remember the short bus vs. bowling stuff) and his track record is absolutely abhorrent.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #4319
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Actually I don't think there's any shame needed on that comment (re: Ted would have wanted it that way).

If there's any person who was pretty much bred to a career in politics, Ted Kennedy would be a pretty darned good example. And there's absolutely nothing in his background that would indicate a reluctance to use whatever assets at his disposal to accomplish an end.

Truth is I don't believe he would have been genuinely offended by that sort of observation at all nor should he have been. There's nothing shameful about using perfectly legal means at hand to accomplish a task, doubly true if it's a task you're deeply committed to.

Exactly. If he was alive, he would have used the opportunity to the Nth degree and he'd tell you as much. That's just part of being a standard-bearer of a political party. Let's not kid ourselves. Pelosi and Reid were pretenders as far as leadership goes compared to Kennedy. You don't have to like his policies or him as a person to acknowledge that.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #4320
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So MBBF when are you going to call out the GOP for saying using Kennedy's illness and death as an excuse to further delay healthcare reform? I mean Good Lord....
Old 08-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #4321
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So MBBF when are you going to call out the GOP for saying using Kennedy's illness and death as an excuse to further delay healthcare reform? I mean Good Lord....

They really don't need to do so at this point. They still haven't even got a concensus bill from the Democrats to even consider yet. The major delay right now is that the polls are going the wrong way on this issue and the Democrats can't even agree amongst themselves. It's somewhat hard to respond specifically to your comment, since you haven't cited anything.

I'd definitely disagree with Orrin Hatch's assertion that Kennedy wouldn't approve of using his death as motivation to get the bill passed. He definitely would without question.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #4322
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd definitely disagree with Orrin Hatch's assertion that Kennedy wouldn't approve of using his death as motivation to get the bill passed. He definitely would without question.

FWIW I'm pretty sure Orrin Hatch has a better idea of whether his friend Teddy would approve or not.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #4323
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
They really don't need to do so at this point. They still haven't even got a concensus bill from the Democrats to even consider yet. The major delay right now is that the polls are going the wrong way on this issue and the Democrats can't even agree amongst themselves. It's somewhat hard to respond specifically to your comment, since you haven't cited anything.

WOW

MBBF knows Ted better than Hatch.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #4324
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Link to the Hatch quote?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #4325
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Link to the Hatch quote?

I actually saw it on NBC Nightly News last night, though I'm sure it's posted somewhere on the internet.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #4326
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
FWIW I'm pretty sure Orrin Hatch has a better idea of whether his friend Teddy would approve or not.

Let's assume you're right. Are you happy with the GOP for defending what Kennedy would want? Disappointed or upset with the Dems for using the death of one of their leaders for political gain?
Old 08-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #4327
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm really not understanding at this point why the Democrats are so willing to lend credibility inadvertently to GOP talking heads both on the radio and TV. Glenn Beck was drawing so-so ratings in what basically amounts to a late afternoon time slot. Democrats went on the attack and got some advertisers to remove their ads on the program, but the resulting stir-up has given Beck tremendous ratings in an afternoon time slot, virtually guaranteeing that once the dust dies down, the old advertisers or new ones will head back to advertise again on the program. He beat O'Reilly in an AFTERNOON time slot this week. That's just nuts.

Similarly, there is a big fuss whenever Rush says something that irritates the Democrats. They immediately go on the attack against Rush, often creating a listener boost of as much as 20% just because people want to hear him talk about the whole thing.

The same thing happened when the GOP went on the warpath against Michael Moore and his F. 911 movie. The movie was a huge success. Note to activists: stop drawing attention to these people if you don't like what they're saying. The resulting controversy is exactly what they want.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #4328
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, I was pretty shocked by the recent ratings. O'Reilly's cable show did better than CBS evening news and Beck beat Maddow, Olbermann and Matthews combined.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #4329
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm really not understanding at this point why the Democrats are so willing to lend credibility inadvertently to GOP talking heads both on the radio and TV. Glenn Beck was drawing so-so ratings in what basically amounts to a late afternoon time slot. Democrats went on the attack and got some advertisers to remove their ads on the program, but the resulting stir-up has given Beck tremendous ratings in an afternoon time slot, virtually guaranteeing that once the dust dies down, the old advertisers or new ones will head back to advertise again on the program. He beat O'Reilly in an AFTERNOON time slot this week. That's just nuts.

Similarly, there is a big fuss whenever Rush says something that irritates the Democrats. They immediately go on the attack against Rush, often creating a listener boost of as much as 20% just because people want to hear him talk about the whole thing.

The same thing happened when the GOP went on the warpath against Michael Moore and his F. 911 movie. The movie was a huge success. Note to activists: stop drawing attention to these people if you don't like what they're saying. The resulting controversy is exactly what they want.

While Moore had commercial success, it also allowed Republicans to give the perception that the Democratic party was as far-left as Moore.

Talking heads are not good for political parties. They may be good for media outlets, but you don't want Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore being the face of your party. It's not good for Republicans when Ann Coulter gets up on stage and calls someone in the other party a faggot. It's not good for the GOP when Rush Limbaugh plays Barack the Magic Negro on his show.

These entertainers don't gain new voters. They don't win elections. They help solidify a base while at the same time bring hatred from the other side. While Moore, Limbaugh and others may have fervent supporters, they also have enormous negatives.

The strategy is smart by both parties to portray the others by their most extreme elements. It was smart for Republicans to portray the Democrats as Michael Moore. It was smart for Democrats to portray the Republicans as Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter. I mean you could argue that Rush Limbaugh cost the Republicans control of the Senate in 2006.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #4330
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Yeah, I was pretty shocked by the recent ratings. O'Reilly's cable show did better than CBS evening news and Beck beat Maddow, Olbermann and Matthews combined.

I don't understand the appeal of guys like Beck and Hannity. Beck's insane and irritating, and Hannity is so repetitive and boring he makes me want to stick a pencil in my ear.

I like Rush because he's funny in a baffoonish way.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #4331
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I don't understand the appeal of guys like Beck and Hannity. Beck's insane and irritating, and Hannity is so repetitive and boring he makes me want to stick a pencil in my ear.

I like Rush because he's funny in a baffoonish way.

Beck has always been annoying but at least when he was on headline news (or whatever station he was on in the afternoon before he moved to Fox) he used to go after the government for being large and out of control. He appropriately would blame both parties and always claimed to be a Libertarian. Now he is just another Republican hack. Don't get me wrong I am not defending a guy that converted to Mormonism to get laid, he has always been an idiot. But previously he was at least asking intriguing questions
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #4332
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Beck isn't stupid, it's just an act. He says whatever he thinks will get ratings. He was more libertarian on CNN Headline News, but the move to Fox has turned him uber-conservative. Case in point.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Glenn Beck's Operation
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorHealthcare Protests

Last edited by RainMaker : 08-29-2009 at 03:38 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:24 AM   #4333
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
While Moore had commercial success, it also allowed Republicans to give the perception that the Democratic party was as far-left as Moore.

Talking heads are not good for political parties. They may be good for media outlets, but you don't want Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore being the face of your party. It's not good for Republicans when Ann Coulter gets up on stage and calls someone in the other party a faggot. It's not good for the GOP when Rush Limbaugh plays Barack the Magic Negro on his show.

These entertainers don't gain new voters. They don't win elections. They help solidify a base while at the same time bring hatred from the other side. While Moore, Limbaugh and others may have fervent supporters, they also have enormous negatives.

The strategy is smart by both parties to portray the others by their most extreme elements. It was smart for Republicans to portray the Democrats as Michael Moore. It was smart for Democrats to portray the Republicans as Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter. I mean you could argue that Rush Limbaugh cost the Republicans control of the Senate in 2006.

In order for these strategies to work, you need lots and lots of airtime suggesting that.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #4334
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I don't think any talking heads/pundits/radio people impact elections. I think they can sometimes rally the base, but the "undecided/influential voters" don't vote according to whether they think Rush/Moore is a bad guy. They vote based on their pocketbook, likability of the candidate and national security fears.

If the economy is good, they usually vote in their incumbent. If it's not, they will tend to go the other direction. At the end, though, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Coulter, Moore, Maddow, Glenn Beck, Olbermann and O'Reilly are irrelevant. Most people that are persuaded to change their vote (or vote at all) don't know who they are or if they do know, it doesn't impacy why they are voting. If you get riled up against Rush or Michael Moore, it's doubtful your vote is ever up for grabs (barring massive economic/military events).
Old 08-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #4335
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I don't think any talking heads/pundits/radio people impact elections. I think they can sometimes rally the base, but the "undecided/influential voters" don't vote according to whether they think Rush/Moore is a bad guy. They vote based on their pocketbook, likability of the candidate and national security fears.

If the economy is good, they usually vote in their incumbent. If it's not, they will tend to go the other direction. At the end, though, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Coulter, Moore, Maddow, Glenn Beck, Olbermann and O'Reilly are irrelevant. Most people that are persuaded to change their vote (or vote at all) don't know who they are or if they do know, it doesn't impacy why they are voting. If you get riled up against Rush or Michael Moore, it's doubtful your vote is ever up for grabs (barring massive economic/military events).

I think that you are generally right here. But there is, in my experience, a voter that can be turned off by the extremes on either side. I should know b/c I am married to one :-)

Using health care as an example, Mrs. A started the whole health care debate process leaning toward the "I don't want socialized medicine, and that is where reform will probably take us" side. She voted for the Republican for governor and Obama for President. She is, in other words, a gettable vote/heart/mind for the GOP on certain issues. And, after a few days of Sarah Palin and "death panels," she is now in favor of reform b/c she does not understand or trust the most vocal people against reform.

Now, that is one anecdotal example. But I can't help but think that the Moores and Hannitys of the world have some small (1-3%) effect on party affiliation and, accordingly, elections.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #4336
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think we're giving the extremes too little credit and the average voter too much.

While they can turn people off, if they can amplify their side enough to make it the story of the day (i.e. death panels), you turn off significant positive energy. I don't know if that can be a force for good or positive energy. But with negatives, you can either keep people from voting or emphasize something to the point where someone will vote against a candidate because you control the debate.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #4337
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think for every open-minded person that Moore/Rush turns off by their rhetoric, there are 4-5 "foot soliders" who take their propaganda and use it to try and convince non-political voters to vote their way. In the end, I think it's at worst a wash and probably more like a large net gain for their side. Some get turned off while others hear their propaganda via word of mouth and vote that way out of fear/outrage.

In the end, all these people do is rally the base and provide talking points to the masses. Which, in the current political climate, is a fairly useful role.

I think people love to imagine that there's a backlash or "harm" done by the George Soros', Rush Limbaugh's, Sean Hannity's or MoveOn.org's, but it's just not true. The funding, propaganda, rallying cry and foot soldier impact these guys have are very useful/needed for their side. To think that either side would be better off without these groups/people is just illogical.

They are like the "turk" on an NFL football team. No one likes to see them, but they are vital to ensuring the best team is out there on Sunday.

Last edited by Arles : 08-30-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #4338
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Arles, I wasn't very clear but I was basically agreeing with what you said. When I mean "turning people off", I meant that more of a "fear of candidate they are espousing against which turns them to vote for the other side" (i.e. for instance Rush Limbaugh will convince far more people to vote Republican than he turns off and makes vote Democratic because he can help control the debate because of his airwave power)

What you were saying is spot on- I just did a poor job articulating it.

SI

Old 08-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #4339
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Ah, agree completely then. The effect of propaganda in shaping the angle of the debate is as important as the arguments themselves.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #4340
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think extremes can be bad for candidates, but not pundits/media talkers. I think Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are very good for republican candidates. But, I think Palin would be a terrible candidate - but not just for her views. I do think a very conservative candidate could do well in an election - that person just needs to be charismatic.

As we move ahead in this media generation, appearance/charm is going to trump substance 9 times out of 10 in presidential elections.

Last edited by Arles : 08-30-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:52 AM   #4341
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It already does. At least since FDR the more likable candidate has won every presidential election.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:25 AM   #4342
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, aside from Nixon (at least over Humphery) .
Old 08-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #4343
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
It already does. At least since FDR the more likable candidate has won every presidential election.

So you are saying that if John Kerry ran against Mitt Romney, we would have the first ever 0-0 tie?

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-31-2009 at 08:29 AM.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #4344
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

It'll be interesting to see how the health care debate pans out over the next couple of weeks. Pretty emotional weekend for the Democrat partisans may lead to a bit of an emotional hangover. Lots of past ghosts revisited during the funeral coverage.

Couple more articles concerning both health care bill options over at FactCheck.org. Generally pretty good, though the titles are a bit of an editorial........

Twenty-six Lies About H.R. 3200 | FactCheck.org

RNC’s “Bill of Rights” | FactCheck.org

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-31-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #4345
Flasch186
Coordinator

Nice! Seems that the bailout might be on its way to working. I know it kept us from going off the cliff but now it might turn out to be profitable for you and I.

Report: US makes $4 billion from bailout banks - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Report: US makes $4 billion from bailout banks
AP

Mon Aug 31, 6:44 am ET

WASHINGTON – The U.S. government has hauled in about $4 billion in profits from large banks that have repaid their obligations from last year's federal bailout, The New York Times reported Sunday.

Last September, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and then-Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson pressed congressional leaders for legislation authorizing a $700 billion financial bailout of some of the nation's largest financial institutions, which were in danger of collapsing. The bill was signed into law in October.

Critics of the bailout were concerned that the Treasury Department would never see a return on its investment. But the government has already claimed profits from eight of the biggest banks.

The Times cited government profits of $1.4 billion from Goldman Sachs, $1.3 billion from Morgan Stanley and $414 million from American Express. It also listed five other banks — Northern Trust, Bank of New York Mellon, State Street, U.S. Bancorp and BB&T — that each returned profits between $100 million and $334 million.

The government has also collected about $35 million in profits from 14 smaller banks, the Times reported.

Federal investments in some other banks, including Citigroup and Bank of America, are still in question, and the government could still lose much of the money it spent to bail out insurance company American International Group, mortgage lenders Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and automakers General Motors and Chrysler.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #4346
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Nice! Seems that the bailout might be on its way to working. I know it kept us from going off the cliff but now it might turn out to be profitable for you and I.

Report: US makes $4 billion from bailout banks - Yahoo! News

More than anything, it clearly illustrates that the bailout wasn't needed as many had already said. The amount of money that the banks made during that period by using taxpayer dollars to invest and loan makes $4B seem like chump change. Glad to see we're now OK with funding private businesses if they have a good enough lobby in D.C.

It should also be noted that the information in that final paragraph could nullify that $4B in profit very quickly. It's awfully early to be calling it a success when a good portion of the chips are still on the table, with most of them in the hands of high-risk investments.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #4347
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how the health care debate pans out over the next couple of weeks. Pretty emotional weekend for the Democrat partisans may lead to a bit of an emotional hangover. Lots of past ghosts revisited during the funeral coverage.

Couple more articles concerning both health care bill options over at FactCheck.org. Generally pretty good, though the titles are a bit of an editorial........

Twenty-six Lies About H.R. 3200 | FactCheck.org

RNC’s “Bill of Rights” | FactCheck.org

How do you fairly say that there are a bunch of lies? I say good to them for not weaseling out and saying misleading or some people say they are false or something similar.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:08 AM   #4348
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
So you are saying that if John Kerry ran against Mitt Romney, we would have the first ever 0-0 tie?

You mean the robo candidate and the guy who Conan referred to as being like a "bloodhound's scrotum"?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-31-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #4349
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
More than anything, it clearly illustrates that the bailout wasn't needed as many had already said. The amount of money that the banks made during that period by using taxpayer dollars to invest and loan makes $4B seem like chump change. Glad to see we're now OK with funding private businesses if they have a good enough lobby in D.C.

It should also be noted that the information in that final paragraph could nullify that $4B in profit very quickly. It's awfully early to be calling it a success when a good portion of the chips are still on the table, with most of them in the hands of high-risk investments.

ROFLMAO. Amazing the goggles you wear.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #4350
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
How do you fairly say that there are a bunch of lies? I say good to them for not weaseling out and saying misleading or some people say they are false or something similar.

Well, if they were fairly titling the article, they would have said "26 lies, XX half truths, and XX truths about HR 3200". It wasn't exclusively lies, though the title indicates it as such. Also, they're addressing an e-mail that was circulated. I'm surprised that they're even bothering addressing a chain e-mail. It's pretty much a given that it's not going to contain much of merit.