Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2017, 07:42 AM   #4251
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
If we're going with personal anecdotes, there's an annoying Trump family down the street. They're always talking about how the poor are taking their money and using free phones/cars/etc. Nevermind that neither works. The husband is on work comp but doesn't appear to have any actual injury. The wife is on disability, and doesn't work. Their little girl is the brattiest kid you've ever met. Their house is about $300k, they drive brand new trucks/SUVs, they have extremely nice clothes/Clemson season tickets/all the usual fake-bougie Southern person things. The wife's mom had some money and they're basically bleeding her dry in the woman's last years of life. They either don't notice or don't care that they're literally the people they hate.

These stories aren't uncommon, but for whatever it's worth nearly all disability and workman's comp benefits are capped by the feds and the states at well below $3,000 per month (the federal cap for disability payments maxes out at $733 per month), so you can rest assured the great majority that particular money is coming from the mother. Nobody's buying new cars and houses on federal disability benefits.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:54 AM   #4252
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you saw larry make the same joke at me yesterday.

Nice to see my truth makes people uncomfortabe.

Uncomfortable? I'm amazed! Who could have guessed that deep in the depths of FOFC would we apparently stumble upon the only person on the internet who is capable of critical and balanced thinking?! You should teach a seminar.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:21 AM   #4253
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
These stories aren't uncommon, but for whatever it's worth nearly all disability and workman's comp benefits are capped by the feds and the states at well below $3,000 per month (the federal cap for disability payments maxes out at $733 per month), so you can rest assured the great majority that particular money is coming from the mother. Nobody's buying new cars and houses on federal disability benefits.

My girlfriend had been on a leave of absence from work since September, out on long-term disability due to debilitating migraines (vertigo, inability to stand up, nausea), since September. She was pulling in far more than $733 per month on her disability checks; fairly certain it was about double that number.

She just returned to work Sunday, and things are looking much better now, which is awesome.

Edit: read too quickly, didn't notice the federal caveat.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 05-23-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:22 AM   #4254
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I think this is the real story as far as "entitlement" abuse. I deal with far more people on "disability" who are able to work but don't, than people who are on other government assistant that don't try. There needs to be more reform in the area of disability than food stamps/welfare.

Except that even if you force all the people who are 'abusing the system' to go to work, the amount of labor production and economic stimulus is virtually nothing in the macro perspective. To complain about it is easy. That group is clearly "all that is wrong with the safety net." But it's just a very small slice of larger economic pie. It comes down to a moral judgement more than an economic one.

That's not to say that we need to eliminate fraud, but there's always going to be people who milk the system. The bigger issue is that we are always focusing on the poor because they are never doing enough in peoples eyes, we should focusing on the white collar fraud. That's where the real money is, but the work is way harder than just cracking on poor people.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #4255
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I believe the numbers they were using for this and the tax cuts use a 3% GDP growth factored in. Trump promised 4% during the campaign. That's also insane. They are either lying about the GDP growth to make the projections look better or have the economic understanding of a High School Junior.

Q1 saw 0.7% growth for comparison.

It isn't so much the assumptions--everyone does that, as it is the double counting of the assumptions. They're being counted both to make the proposed tax cut revenue neutral and to show deficit reduction. They can't be used for both. In the corporate world, that would be accounting fraud.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #4256
QuikSand
lolzcat

On a certain level, it's honorable that this Administration is willing to follow through and offer a series of actual program cuts consistent with the vague generalities that are offered during a campaign. To actually get anything done, you have to get beyond the superficial "belt tightening" and "live within our means" rhetoric, and actually suggest which programs are to be cut back or eliminated. So, hats off for the willingness.

I suspect (this is an easy call) that this is going to go over like a lead balloon. When the initial skinny budget was floated, people went nuts over various things like Meals on Wheels. Here, we'll see any number of sympathetic cases attack the proposal as inhumane, etc. It's basically the nature of the beast here. Programs develop a constituency, and inertia is very tough to fight against.

That said - the major weakness here is that all you gain out of cutting programs is reducing the deficit. And the fact of the matter is, hardly anyone really cares about that. If the federal budget worked like a state budget, and had to be balanced each year, you'd see a far stronger correlation with service levels and spending levels. You could say things like "only buy reducing these spending programs can we do the tax breaks that are going to make us competitive again" or whatnot. That would be a way to sell specific spending cuts - they are necessary for something as a trade-off. But here, all we get is some amorphous deficit reduction, that has some hard-to-measure and harder-to-feel impact on a set of numbers we can't really explain and definitely cannot comprehend. What the hell is 19 Trillion dollars? Why should we suffer to shave down that unfathomable number a bit here or there?

There's a reason why budget cuts are among the topics that the party tends to deal with at only a 30,000 foot level. Getting into details sucks. There's no upside to it. Ryan has passion for this, and believes it's genuinely the right thing to do. So does Heritage, who's now writing the substance. And so does Mulvaney, apparently. But none of them realize how DOA this gets as soon as you go beyond the depth of a one-page summary document with grandiose claims but no specific oxen being gored.

Good luck with it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:45 AM   #4257
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
It isn't so much the assumptions--everyone does that, as it is the double counting of the assumptions. They're being counted both to make the proposed tax cut revenue neutral and to show deficit reduction. They can't be used for both. In the corporate world, that would be accounting fraud.

#FakeNews, yet again. Coming from left-wing outfits like... err...uhh...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-...ath-1495544546
Old 05-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #4258
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Uncomfortable? I'm amazed! Who could have guessed that deep in the depths of FOFC would we apparently stumble upon the only person on the internet who is capable of critical and balanced thinking?! You should teach a seminar.

Your hostility is unfortunate. You should look into that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #4259
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I think this is the real story as far as "entitlement" abuse. I deal with far more people on "disability" who are able to work but don't, than people who are on other government assistant that don't try. There needs to be more reform in the area of disability than food stamps/welfare.

If we're going with personal anecdotes, there's an annoying Trump family down the street. They're always talking about how the poor are taking their money and using free phones/cars/etc. Nevermind that neither works. The husband is on work comp but doesn't appear to have any actual injury. The wife is on disability, and doesn't work. Their little girl is the brattiest kid you've ever met. Their house is about $300k, they drive brand new trucks/SUVs, they have extremely nice clothes/Clemson season tickets/all the usual fake-bougie Southern person things. The wife's mom had some money and they're basically bleeding her dry in the woman's last years of life. They either don't notice or don't care that they're literally the people they hate.

I get that when we see abuse of the system personally it has more of an impact on our way of thinking than just reading or heating about something. When you're working hard for what you take home and you see someone you feel is doing just as well, if not better, by doing nothing it frustrates us. I just wish people would look at the actual data on this.

Yes, abuse of government systems happens, but we'd either use more resources than we'd save trying to crack down on it or we'd take money out of the hands of people that really need it just to knock what a minority of abusers down a peg.

If you really want to make a difference on our economy then we need to take a look at corporate handouts and tax reform.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #4260
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Your hostility is unfortunate. You should look into that.

You basically called "most of us" fucking idiots. Twice, without a hint of irony. Maybe look into that.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #4261
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You basically called "most of us" fucking idiots. Twice, without a hint of irony. Maybe look into that.

No, not idiots. Just caught up in the same stuff I see everywhere else. It has happened to me, too. I'm just trying to point out a better way.

It's up to you to see if what I am saying applies to you at all. If you feel it doesn't, don't get hostile, just ignore it--it doesn't affect you.

And the Internet is always an iffy medium to get a read on someone. It's possible what I say really applies to no one here at all.

But I'm not going to not call it as I see it. As I am sure you know, having posted with me for almost 20 years now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #4262
digamma
Torchbearer

RIP: Chief Rum's arm.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #4263
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand why we need to increase defense spending even more than we already have been doing, considering we spend so much more than the rest of the world.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #4264
Easy Mac

This was so smooth.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:25 PM   #4265
Edward64
Head Coach

Not sure what the deal is with Melania/Trump but IMO, we should keep family out of this unless they are really involved/upfront such as Kushner & Ivanka.

I know there were some cheap shots taken on Michelle & girls and thought they are off-limits then.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #4266
digamma
Torchbearer

I think Melania is just trying to enforcer her cyber bullying policies and prevention she announced at her convention speech.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #4267
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
I don't understand why we need to increase defense spending even more than we already have been doing, considering we spend so much more than the rest of the world.

Between the border and military increase and gutting of everything else, I'd say he's playing Hearts of Iron, except that it's way too complicated for him.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #4268
QuikSand
lolzcat

https://psychology.iresearchnet.com/...naive-realism/

Seemed timely here.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-23-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #4269
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

+1
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #4270
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Because a lot of rich and powerful people make money off of it?
Old 05-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #4271
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Big publicity win for Trump. He complained in a debate in September that Carrier was moving their factory and 1,400 jobs to Mexico. He's apparently worked out a deal for them to stay in the U.S.

Carrier says it has deal with Trump to keep jobs in Indiana | Fox News

Carrier plant that Trump helped save will cut 300 jobs right before Christmas - May. 23, 2017
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #4272
Logan
Head Coach

Wow, MBBF hasn't posted since he went on his random tirade in the NCAA tourney thread and got boxed.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #4273
Kodos
Resident Alien

I guess he took his ball and went home.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #4274
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
MSNBC won the primetime news ratings battle last week, and for the first time in 17 years Fox News finished 3rd. CNN won the daytime ratings.

MSNBC Wins Primetime Week In Total Viewers And News Demo | Deadline
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #4275
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
#FakeNews, yet again. Coming from left-wing outfits like... err...uhh...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-...ath-1495544546

Sort of speechless by this Mulvaney quote:

Quote:
"We did [the double count] on purpose... I'm aware of the criticisms and would simply come back and say there's other places where we were probably overly conservative in our accounting. We stand by the numbers."

Trump's budget has a huge math mistake - Axios
Old 05-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #4276
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
MSNBC won the primetime news ratings battle last week, and for the first time in 17 years Fox News finished 3rd. CNN won the daytime ratings.

MSNBC Wins Primetime Week In Total Viewers And News Demo | Deadline

Makes sense for MSNBC to retool with a more right wing friendly lineup!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #4277
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This whole line of argument assumes they care. The budget numbers from the GOP have been fantasy for years. This is just another step down the road they've been on since at least the Ryan budget years. The important thing is to establish a he said/she said situation so news orgs will play the "some people say" game.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #4278
Easy Mac

Quote:

Yeah, like that line item where they charged $6k for 30 steaks, when really it was just 30 $1 gas station steaks, but Trump can't tell the difference. So they really saved us $5,970 in steaks.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #4279
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Rush Limbaugh (it's okay, even I thought '...of all people') has a pretty good take on this IMO. How some behind the scenes stuff that he hints at (right or wrong) factors in but, of more general interest, how the slide will affect the product on the air day to day.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2...ratings-slide/
Old 05-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #4280
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Apparently the Trump promise to donate all foreign sourced profits to the Treasury is complicated by the fact that Trump properties aren't keeping track of what profits are foreign sourced.

Everything's a con.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #4281
Logan
Head Coach

Old 05-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #4282
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

By the CBO's estimate, 15 million people will lose healthcare by the end of 2018.

Yeah, the Senate isn't going to do that in an election year.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #4283
molson
General Manager

Jeff Sessions also made false statements/material omissions on his application for security clearance regarding his contacts with Russian officials.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/24/politi....html?adkey=bn

And perhaps more important, but buried a bit in the news today, Comey's decisions regarding his handling of the Clinton investigation were influenced by an unreliable and/or fake document produced by.....Russia.

How a dubious Russian document influenced the FBI’s handling of the Clinton probe - The Washington Post

Last edited by molson : 05-24-2017 at 05:51 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #4284
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

This op-ed Flynn wrote back in November looks bad now that we know he took half a million from Turkey.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...ds-our-support
Old 05-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #4285
Atocep
Coordinator

Erdogan is just misunderstood.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #4286
Easy Mac

Because no one pronounces it correctly.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #4287
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Jeff Sessions also made false statements/material omissions on his application for security clearance regarding his contacts with Russian officials.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/24/politi....html?adkey=bn

If all these meetings with Russians were on the up and up, why do so many people in the administration lie about them?
Old 05-24-2017, 09:52 PM   #4288
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Apparently, the GOP candidate for that Montana Special election bodyslammed a reporter the day before the election.

I wish I could make stuff like that up.

edit: we have audio, sadly no video (and no, I'm not joking)

https://t.co/OioGWXQUIv

Last edited by SirFozzie : 05-24-2017 at 10:10 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #4289
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Weird story.

Greg Gianforte: Fox News team witnesses GOP House candidate 'body slam' reporter | Fox News
Old 05-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #4290
Edward64
Head Coach

Political Road Rage.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #4291
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Any chance he was drunk? They said this was a BBQ I believe.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:45 PM   #4292
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

nah, he was setting up for a bit with Fox News reporters at the event where he was going to speak, the reporter asked a question, they went back and forth, and then the roid rage came out.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:14 AM   #4293
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

This shouldn't have any effect on the election, since this is just a he said/four other people said and had audio proof-type situation.

Last edited by Shkspr : 05-25-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:50 AM   #4294
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
This shouldn't have any effect on the election, since this is just a he said/four other people said and had audio proof-type situation.

I doubt it'll have much effect - but the fact that the fox chap is on the side of the journalist being assaulted says a lot about this candidates honesty imho ....
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:24 AM   #4295
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Most people have already voted, so it will have microscopic effect
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:32 AM   #4296
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nah, they said they had a lot lower amounts of people voting early than normal, and the last minute votes usually break R, so.. who knows.

(funny thing, Republicans in Montana fought against Elections by Mail in that state because they're afraid it would advantage Democrats.. bet they wish they had it right now.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #4297
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post

He body slammed the fake news media. This should drive up Republican turnout.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #4298
Thomkal
Head Coach

So looking like Hannity made be the next to go at Fox after he continues his conspiracy theories about the death of democratic staffer Seth Rich:

Advertisers Pull Ads From Sean Hannity’s Fox News Show | HuffPost
Old 05-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #4299
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Dear Donald,

The amount of money spent by NATO allies on defense has no bearing on how much the United States spends on defense. These aren't club dues.

Thank you.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #4300
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So looking like Hannity made be the next to go at Fox after he continues his conspiracy theories about the death of democratic staffer Seth Rich:

Advertisers Pull Ads From Sean Hannity’s Fox News Show | HuffPost

I thought that one of the only benefits of Hildawg losing would be that at least we wouldn't have to hear about 4-8 more years of clinton conspiracy theories. I guess i was wrong.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote