Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #4251
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

This one I've been keeping my eye on for a while. Chance of me not buying by the 20th is very low.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #4252
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
This one I've been keeping my eye on for a while. Chance of me not buying by the 20th is very low.

Atta boy!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #4253
tarcone
Coordinator

Wow. That game looks awesome.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #4254
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Does anybody have Watchdogs 2? It is 33% off and the video looks really cool. I almost never spend $40 on a game, but for some reason I am tempted here.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #4255
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I picked up The Flame in the Flood today - seems fun but I keep dying because I can never make a fire thanks to resource randomness.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #4256
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Does anybody have Watchdogs 2? It is 33% off and the video looks really cool. I almost never spend $40 on a game, but for some reason I am tempted here.

I have it on xbone and have been enjoying it quite a bit.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:09 PM   #4257
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Anyone ever played Interplanetary? Turn based artillery game where you're attacking other planets. Looks like fun, but thought I'd check on any feedback here first.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #4258
tarcone
Coordinator

I picked up Kingdom rush frontiers and tropico 4 over the weekend.

Kingdom rush is THE BEST tower defense game out ther. Hands down.

Tropico looks like a fun game. Didnt get much play in. So looking forward to digging into it.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #4259
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Anyone planning on picking up Urban Empire? I've watched a few LP's and it looks very interesting.

Save 15% on Urban Empire on Steam

Pre-purchased after watching the let's plays on this. Seems like it could be very immersive.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #4260
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Pre-purchased after watching the let's plays on this. Seems like it could be very immersive.

Yeah... I'm excited for Friday.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #4261
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Better than Defense Grid?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #4262
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Better than Defense Grid?

I will let you decide. You can play for free on your browser You are limited in hiring heroes here.

Kingdom Rush Frontiers - Play on Armor Games

Old 01-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #4263
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I picked up Kingdom rush frontiers and tropico 4 over the weekend.

Tropico looks like a fun game. Didnt get much play in. So looking forward to digging into it.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Tropico games.

Tropico 5 + dlc is on sale at HumbleBundle for $10 right now.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #4264
Capital
High School Varsity

Had a lot of fun with Epic Manager. Definitely worth the $15. It's likely not a game I will be playing 6 months from now but played it a lot over the last month.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #4265
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
Had a lot of fun with Epic Manager. Definitely worth the $15. It's likely not a game I will be playing 6 months from now but played it a lot over the last month.

A fun little game. I liked it too, and $15 seems about the right price point for it.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:35 PM   #4266
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm curious what those who get Urban Empire think of it. I decided to hold off, mostly because I'm not in a great frame right now personally. Watched a fair bit of one of the let's play's, and the main takeaway aside from 'great concept' was that it seemed too dumbed-down in some ways. Eventually mods will handle it I'm sure, but way too many policies had no drawbacks, council was too easy to manipulate, etc. I'm curious about what others think about negative consequences of those kinds of things that the player has to balance, or if that's just something that will come down the line when the game is more mature.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #4267
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just saw that the Long War 2 mod just came out for XCOM 2. The original Long War mod reinvented the first XCOM game.

Long War 2 Completely Changes XCOM 2
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #4268
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Oh wow. Yeah Long War is basically my favorite mod, ever, for any game.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #4269
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Urban Empire not getting great reviews. I do concur, that right now, it doesn't feel like a $40 game. That said, it's interesting thus far.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #4270
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yeah, I'm still feeling my way around the game. The political side isn't clicking for me at the moment. Nor is the residential/commercial/industrial balance.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #4271
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Granted, I was still in Era 1, so I haven't played the "full" game.

But my god, I so wish I could just zone districts directly, so I could control exactly where the res/com/ind zones are.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:02 AM   #4272
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm in Era 1 right now too.. just learning how it all works.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #4273
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Urban Empire not getting great reviews. I do concur, that right now, it doesn't feel like a $40 game. That said, it's interesting thus far.

I am kind of surprised at some of the negative reviews with people that only have 30 minutes to an hour in the game. You really need to have more time than that to get familiar with everything and then you can start digging deeper.

I agree that it is definitely interesting, great concept and I am not sure it is a $40 dollar game yet, but it gets closer the further I go.

I am in era 2 now and there are 5 political parties with seats on the council. A lot of folks complained that you just spam votes to get them through, but I am finding a bit more to it than that. The way you address the parties also allows you to influence their popularity with the voters and manipulate them against each other. Not super deep, but definitely more than it appears at the surface.

In addition you really need to keep an eye on how your population is distributed and which businesses are generating the most revenue, so you can adjust the grid configurations accordingly. In era 2 as an example, I couldn't get above break even before discovering that commercial business was now generating more income per capita for the city than industrial business, so adjusting the percentages of both solved that problem. The edicts also start to pile up in era 2 as research grows, so it is really a balancing act deciding what to push and what to hold off on or ignore and hope one of the parties doesn't present it.

I have also lost a few votes and decided not to pursue others because they were doomed from the get go and oh yeah, these bastards are tough on kids. My proposal to prohibit kids under 10 from doing certain kinds of labor was defeated, which didn't seem to piss the population off too much

I also recently started spying on the Old Swarilian party, which has become a thorn in my side after the original party split to form the young Swarilian party. Also spying on the Democratic Freedom party as they have been a pain in the ass most of the game. Haven't uncovered any dirt yet, but interested to see how that goes.

Overall I have to say I am really enjoying the game so far and glad I made the purchase, especially at the 15% pre-release discount.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #4274
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU14
I have also lost a few votes and decided not to pursue others because they were doomed from the get go

I'm curious about this. How hard did you try? From what I've seen on youtube, quill was basically proposing everything that came up and with a little arm-twisting for a couple months he was able to get whatever he wanted. This is one of the things I'm most interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Urban Empire not getting great reviews.

This doesn't really concern me. There are lots of negative reviews on Steam for thing like MM which I think is an outstanding game. Generally speaking I find that 80% of what I read in user reviews is absurdity based on people not understanding the game. I also think a game like this is going to get some of that because it's really a new concept -- a lot of people are going to try to play it like Cities:Skylines or SimCity or whatever.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #4275
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm curious about this. How hard did you try? From what I've seen on youtube, quill was basically proposing everything that came up and with a little arm-twisting for a couple months he was able to get whatever he wanted. This is one of the things I'm most interested in.

That was an earlier release and they have balanced them a bit now. It is easier the first era, but gets harder. You have to be careful how hard you push, because if everyone hates you, you will get screwed. I also noticed as more parties came in, influencing one to the positive can also move another to the negative if they are opposed parties.

In era 3 now and just won my second mayoral election (every 6 years from era 3 on) and I have to scrap to pull it out at the end.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 01-21-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #4276
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks, that's good to know.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #4277
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm still not grasping the economics of the engine. It seems that if you improve the infrastructure of district it should show some improvement in the income generated from the commerce and industry in the district. That doesn't seem to be the case with what I'm seeing.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:11 PM   #4278
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I'm still not grasping the economics of the engine. It seems that if you improve the infrastructure of district it should show some improvement in the income generated from the commerce and industry in the district. That doesn't seem to be the case with what I'm seeing.

It helps to see which business (commercial or industrial) is making more money in relation to total businesses in operation, and adjust the percentages accordingly.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:53 PM   #4279
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I picked up Rimworld this week - already so, so addicted. Man this game is fun and I love the depth of all the bits and pieces.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #4280
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I picked up Rimworld this week - already so, so addicted. Man this game is fun and I love the depth of all the bits and pieces.

I picked it up last weekend. Interesting, but really just making think of playing Banished again.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #4281
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I have a extra copy of payday 2 i can gift if someone would like it..

my steam id is kcford76, first person who posts on here they want it gets it.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #4282
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post

I'll take it, if you've still got it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #4283
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am very intrigued by this game because the reviews are outstanding. I just afraid I won't have a clue what I'm doing and end up wasting 30 bucks.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #4284
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
I am very intrigued by this game because the reviews are outstanding. I just afraid I won't have a clue what I'm doing and end up wasting 30 bucks.
I thought the same thing and it's been a very steep learning curve for me. I've been watching a lot of let's play videos and as I'm starting to pick up on things, I'm finding it to be a blast.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:11 PM   #4285
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
I thought the same thing and it's been a very steep learning curve for me. I've been watching a lot of let's play videos and as I'm starting to pick up on things, I'm finding it to be a blast.

Its really a great game, one of the most engrossing ive played in a very long time.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #4286
Atocep
Coordinator

Rimworld is one of my top 3 games from last year. It can be brutally difficult and things can go to shit at any moment, but i always have fun.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #4287
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I love Rimworld, put in dozens of hours, and it had a little bit of FOFC traction going in a thread last year, and probably could've offered some advice back then.....but I'm trying to wait until it's complete before I go back to it, so I don't burn myself out on it completely before it even reaches its finished state.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #4288
Bobble
College Prospect

Can someone compare Rimworld to Dwarf Fortress for me -- aside from the graphic improvements? What does Rimworld have the DF doesn't?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:22 PM   #4289
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Pit People has been a blast so far... what a funny, goofy, tactical turned based game this is... incredible.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:50 AM   #4290
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Factorio has become my crack at this point. Scratches the whole design/city-builder itch much better than anything else. Even gotten me back into extensive modding for the first time in many years(aside from a brief Stellaris dalliance, but the limitations there ended it pretty quick). So many possibilities.

One of the biggest updates is coming relatively soon it seems with 0.15, and the next major update after that is expected to essentially be release candidate so they are not far away from exiting alpha. Game's a lot better and more stable than majority of actual released games and has been for quite some time. For a taste of some of the more creative/exotic stuff going on, having a look at this, preview of the new Programmable Speaker from the latest of the weekly dev updates:

Factorio Programmable Speaker demo - YouTube

And then there's this. If you haven't seen it before I should probably apologize in advance. This was done seven months ago, mind.

Factorio: 0.15 Early Steam Build - YouTube

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 01-29-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:04 PM   #4291
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Quote:
Factorio has become my crack at this point. Scratches the whole design/city-builder itch much better than anything else. Even gotten me back into extensive modding for the first time in many years(aside from a brief Stellaris dalliance, but the limitations there ended it pretty quick). So many possibilities.

One of the biggest updates is coming relatively soon it seems with 0.15, and the next major update after that is expected to essentially be release candidate so they are not far away from exiting alpha. Game's a lot better and more stable than majority of actual released games and has been for quite some time. For a taste of some of the more creative/exotic stuff going on, having a look at this, preview of the new Programmable Speaker from the latest of the weekly dev updates:

And then there's this. If you haven't seen it before I should probably apologize in advance. This was done seven months ago, mind.

Yeah, I stumbled on this right before Christmas and I have dumped 60 hours into it which is a lot for me (If I get 30 out of game, I am doing good - FOF aside)

Oh and that second video is awesome (and annoying).
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #4292
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I like Factorio early, not later when it gets way too much.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #4293
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Free game from Humble Bundle

Humble Store
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:39 AM   #4294
Icy
Pro Starter

After watching 10 videos in YouTube, I have just purchased rimworld, looks like a great mix of builder mixed with survival.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:49 AM   #4295
Groundhog
Coordinator

Rimworld is damn good, yet damn brutal.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:43 AM   #4296
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post

Just tried to add "kcford76" and Steam says there isn't a user by that name.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:47 PM   #4297
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

Personally, I turn the brutality off - I like how they make that an option.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:58 PM   #4298
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Humble BANDAI NAMCO Bundle 2 (pay what you want and help charity)

New humble bundle.

Tales of Zestiria looks really appealing. Any recommendations? It's kinda pricey at 15 tho :P

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 01-31-2017 at 03:59 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:30 PM   #4299
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

It certainly is both good and brutal. A good tip is not to start with permadeath mode turned on. If I'd turned it off my save wouldnt be going into the first winter with the camp leader, Morales, lying bleeding out in the snow with his wife and two other campmates lying dead beside him. At least the all lasted longer than poor old Friendship, the two legged dog.

I think this start is beyond saving.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:49 PM   #4300
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
It certainly is both good and brutal. A good tip is not to start with permadeath mode turned on. If I'd turned it off my save wouldnt be going into the first winter with the camp leader, Morales, lying bleeding out in the snow with his wife and two other campmates lying dead beside him. At least the all lasted longer than poor old Friendship, the two legged dog.

I think this start is beyond saving.

There are few things sadder than sitting their on fast-sim hoping a kidnapped settler returns so you can continue your settlement that you spent hours and hours turning into a self-sustainable settlement with full power, air-conditioning, farming, strong defenses, etc. only to have a string of illnesses and disasters kill all your settlers off.