Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2022, 07:06 PM   #4151
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
How the fuck did Biden manage to piss off NATO, Ukraine and Russia in a single statement. The guy just cannot get out of his own way, even when it’s an absolute gimmie.

It's gotten to the point that you have to wonder how much money he's getting from the Rs.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:33 PM   #4152
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Biden just told the truth. Foolish in the forum, maybe, but the truth nonetheless. We aren't going to war over some border skirmish. It's going to take a full-fledged invasion before we even think about it.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:50 PM   #4153
bhlloy
Coordinator

The are an infinite number of truths that the leader of the free world isn’t supposed to say in a press conference. The guy is either senile or has incredibly poor judgement. Putin has got to be absolutely beside himself that the guy who got elected running against the guy he helped get in power partly on that platform is helping him arguably more than the first guy did.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:43 PM   #4154
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Biden has always done this. He speaks the same in public as he does in private.

And this is being way overplayed. Putin knows that the big risk is economic, not military. He's not the only one that can see NATO has no interest in starting a potentially nuclear war over Ukraine.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:45 PM   #4155
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The are an infinite number of truths that the leader of the free world isn’t supposed to say in a press conference. The guy is either senile or has incredibly poor judgement. Putin has got to be absolutely beside himself that the guy who got elected running against the guy he helped get in power partly on that platform is helping him arguably more than the first guy did.

So we got pissed because the former guy lied all the time, now we are pissed because the current guy tells the truth too much.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:52 PM   #4156
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think anybody is saying Biden's foot-in-mouth proclivities are as bad as Trump's lies.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:09 PM   #4157
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't think anybody is saying Biden's foot-in-mouth proclivities are as bad as Trump's lies.

Half the country is literally saying that
Old 01-20-2022, 09:20 PM   #4158
bhlloy
Coordinator

JFC he literally had to come out and walk his comments back after his Secretary of State had to contradict him while facing the music with our allies. But my team is better than the other team so fuck it right?

He’s a shit president and he’s handing the White House back to Trump or worse. Or is the 20% drop in approval rating all Republicans as well?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:30 PM   #4159
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Again, he is just really dumb.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:37 PM   #4160
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

All I'm saying is that what he said has no bearing on whether or not Putin attacks. If Putin, mistakenly IMO, thinks he can weather the economic hit, he'll attack. If he doesn't, he won't. Everybody involved knows there isn't going to be a war with NATO unless things get messy and spill over to a NATO neighbor. Ukraine is the most upset because they still think they will one day be in NATO. I get why they want that, see the above, but they aren't getting that and again, everyone involved knows this.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:06 PM   #4161
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
Half the country is literally saying that

I meant here on the board. It's not half the country, but the people you're talking about mostly wouldn't be in favor of Biden if he walked on water while simultaneously solving world hunger and peace, curing cancer, and providing pain-free solutions to climate change.

I.e. as ever, what matters is what independents/moderate dems/etc. think of what Biden is doing. Not what those who can't be persuaded (conservatives in general) and those who will support him no matter what (liberals in general) say.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 01-20-2022 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:05 PM   #4162
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
JFC he literally had to come out and walk his comments back after his Secretary of State had to contradict him while facing the music with our allies. But my team is better than the other team so fuck it right?

It was a dumb comment and absolute gaffe from Biden.

But yes, my team is absolutely better than the other team. I've been passionate about politics since the 80s and I've never felt more sure about that than I do right now.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:22 AM   #4163
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Again, he is just really dumb.

That is a particularly baffling statement after serving as VP in the Obama administration for 8 years. Either he's absolutely clueless or he had some delusional belief that he was so great a statesman that he simply wouldn't have any of those issues.

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-21-2022 at 12:36 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:42 AM   #4164
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think Biden is that dumb. I think he most certainly knew better, and does. Only he can know for sure of course, but I'd say it smells like a convenient and bad excuse for what almost all politicians do - promising what they know they can't deliver.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:05 AM   #4165
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
I don't think Biden is that dumb. I think he most certainly knew better, and does. Only he can know for sure of course, but I'd say it smells like a convenient and bad excuse for what almost all politicians do - promising what they know they can't deliver.
Yup, and I think he could have done a much better job of handling it.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:13 AM   #4166
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think Biden's problem is his age, and I don't mean in an "old man is senile" way. I think he truly believed "politics as usual" would win the day when he became president - that the horse-trading and compromising he's been used to for 40 years would magically return once Trump was gone and people returned to normal. And he was sadly mistaken and delusional about that.

But that's basically what he ran on, as the great uniter. I think many people underestimated the Trump cult and partisan divide. I think that's why people like McConnell, Graham, Haley and McCarthy floated "Trump was responsible" trial balloons right after January 6th, only to feel the blow back and either go silent or do an about face. Biden wasn't alone, but he is president and is now facing the music for not delivering on what was, in hindsight (maybe foresight) an impossible task.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-21-2022 at 07:14 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:25 AM   #4167
Flasch186
Coordinator

I think that's much of the Dem's issue is that they aren't fighting evenly. IE. they keep brining knives to gun fights

BUT

I also think a GREAT majority of Dems are center and thus if the DEMS do fight "dirty" those constituents, including me, may be turned off by the 'giving up' of fair play. I'm not torn on it until it happens, right. I mean right now I say "Fight dirty like they do" but then when they talk about things that are in that camp, ie. changing the Filibuster I feel the hair stand up on my neck.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:48 AM   #4168
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Given the ideas espoused by the GOP these days, Flasch, it's either killing the filibuster or ending up with concentration camps.

(only kinda joking)
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:54 AM   #4169
henry296
College Starter

Wouldn't keeping the filibuster enable the democrats to employ the same tactics to prevent conservative policies from being implemented. No party will ever get 60 senators so we are stuck in this loop of nothing happening.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #4170
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I think the Filibuster is done anyways. The next time the GOP takes control of the senate, you're going to see clip upon clip of Democrats calling the filibuster racist, anti-democratic etc... That Republicans will feel compelled to get rid of it on principle alone and do what the evil Democrats could not. Of course everyone will know this is BS but the end result is the same.

Democrats should probably get a jump on things now and find a way to bribe Manchin and Sinema.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:29 AM   #4171
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Wouldn't keeping the filibuster enable the democrats to employ the same tactics to prevent conservative policies from being implemented. No party will ever get 60 senators so we are stuck in this loop of nothing happening.

What does the GOP want to do that will take 60 votes? They are mostly concerned with judges and financial things, which can be done with a majority. I honestly can't think of anything the GOP wanted to do where they had 51 votes but not 60. When they've failed, it hasn't been because of the filibuster, it's been because they can't get to 51.

edit: The first big test will be if they have a unified government in 2025 and SCOTUS has killed Roe v. Wade. At that point, I can't imagine they'll let a filibuster keep them from making abortion illegal nationwide.

Last edited by JPhillips : 01-21-2022 at 11:31 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:28 PM   #4172
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

That feels like '6 of 1 half dozen of the other' to me. He was dumb if he actually thought the Republicans would let him govern more than Obama, and he was just as dumb/incompetent if he knew those were empty promises but did absolutely nothing to prepare for or control the optics of that inevitable fallout.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-21-2022 at 01:31 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:00 PM   #4173
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Republicans changed the rule for Supreme Court justices back in 2017. I don't think there is much legislation they really care about that requires 60 votes. Maybe tax cuts or corporate bailouts, but it's pretty easy to find Democrats willing to go along with that.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:43 PM   #4174
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I believe tax cuts can generally be passed via reconciliation (i.e. 51 votes).
Old 01-21-2022, 02:47 PM   #4175
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. It's also worth noting that these are all just modern made up rules that no one is forced to go by. McConnell didn't allow a confirmation hearing for an Obama Suprem Court justice which went against tradition.

Republicans will ignore any of these rules if they feel they can do something they want. Democrats won't.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:20 PM   #4176
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A woman in VA said this:

Quote:
No mask mandates. My children will not come to school Monday with a mask on. I will bring every single gun, loaded and ready

and the cops said she apologized, so everything's fine.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:40 PM   #4177
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Doesn't sound like the Feds kicked in her door and dragged her to jail, so I'm going to guess white.

Anyone figure out what Garland does for a living? Are we still paying him?
Old 01-21-2022, 03:52 PM   #4178
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Doesn't sound like the Feds kicked in her door and dragged her to jail, so I'm going to guess white.

Anyone figure out what Garland does for a living? Are we still paying him?

That was just a lucky guess...

HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:06 PM   #4179
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Imagine how confident you have to be in your standing in society to just blurt out terrorist threats at a recorded public meeting in front of law enforcement.

Now imagine a Muslim man publically threatening to shoot up a school while having photos on social media holding weapons and gleefully supporting violent extremist groups.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:38 PM   #4180
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Imagine how confident you have to be in your standing in society to just blurt out terrorist threats at a recorded public meeting in front of law enforcement.

Now imagine a Muslim man publically threatening to shoot up a school while having photos on social media holding weapons and gleefully supporting violent extremist groups.

Soon, imagining that will be illegal under VA's anti-CRT law.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:31 PM   #4181
Ksyrup

Amelia King was charged with "oral threat on school property."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-21-2022, 06:42 PM   #4182
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Amelia King was charged with "oral threat on school property."

Page County woman charged after comments made at school board meeting

0% she would have been charged had this not gone viral.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:19 PM   #4183
stevew
Hall Of Famer

oh no, that $2500 fine and/or up to 12 months in jail is going to be a harsh punishment.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:28 PM   #4184
Ksyrup

What happened to dropping terroristic threatening charges on anyone who sneezed menacingly? After 9/11, that was all the rage.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:32 PM   #4185
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
https://apnews.com/article/business-...5acf4491813c1b

I LOL'd as I read this despite how ridiculous it is.

I see what you did there Sen. Diaz.

And another one.

House committee in Florida passes 'Don't Say Gay' bill | TheHill

I like the play though. It is much easier to say that you did not know you were being hateful if you can say that you never learned anything that would have explained what you are doing is hateful in school.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:32 PM   #4186
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Sure the Democrats won't do anything but you have to vote for them for the judges at least.....

Old 01-21-2022, 07:34 PM   #4187
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What happened to dropping terroristic threatening charges on anyone who sneezed menacingly? After 9/11, that was all the rage.

You joke but they literally charged someone with terrorism for coughing near a cop.

Woman faces terrorism charges for coughing near police officers and telling them she has COVID-19 | TheHill
Old 01-22-2022, 03:37 PM   #4188
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Weird story that I guess falls in general politics. Workers at a hospital got a better offer from another hospital and took it. Court has now ruled they can't take it and must still work for the other hospital for less pay.

Wisconsin is an at-will state and serfdom is illegal I believe.

What we know the Ascension, ThedaCare court battle over employees
Old 01-22-2022, 06:28 PM   #4189
GrantDawg

They aren't forcing the employees to work anywhere. The employees aren't even being sued. They are preventing one hospital system from hiring former employees of the other hospital system. So basically it is an injunction against the new employer. They have quit the other job and are not being forced to go back.
The judge was still wrong in granting the injuction from what the legal experts I am reading. It was shocking that he did. In the end, really the only thing the court could really do is force the one hospital to pay the other hospital damages if they could even prove damages. Stopping their employment was ridiculous. The employees are being punished and they are not even being sued.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2022, 07:07 PM   #4190
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I'm not an expert on Appleton, but I imagine the opportunities for a highly skilled position like that is pretty limited. So if you are cutting off their opportunity to work somewhere else, you're essentially forcing them to work at the other hospital.

So yes, it's not suing the actual employees, but the purpose of the lawsuit is the same. To limit the free market and prevent employees from leaving.

Wisconsin is an at-will state with lots of folks who preach free market. They've been awfully quiet about this one.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:39 PM   #4191
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Wisconsin is an at-will state with lots of folks who preach free market. They've been awfully quiet about this one.

This is a very key point. The judge's ruling effectively means "at-will" is a remedy only available to the employer.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:46 AM   #4192
spleen1015
Coordinator

Can you guys explain to me why we care about Russia invading Ukraine?
Old 01-24-2022, 07:48 AM   #4193
Flasch186
Coordinator

Land Creep... in my view. Watch any WW2 doc and see what Neville Chamberlin had to do with how the Nazi's got such a head start. Side bar, thank god for Winston Churchill.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-24-2022 at 07:48 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:26 AM   #4194
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015

I think everybody should care about a sovereign nation invading another one. It sets a horrible and very destructive precedent to decide that is ok. And yes, we tend to ignore it when it happens in certain parts of the world, but that doesn't mean we *should*.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #4195
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Land Creep... in my view. Watch any WW2 doc and see what Neville Chamberlin had to do with how the Nazi's got such a head start. Side bar, thank god for Winston Churchill.

They don't have aspirations that far into Europe. Nor do they have the means to do so.

You shouldn't care unless you work in the defense industry or have some altruistic reason you don't apply to your own country.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:13 PM   #4196
GrantDawg

Absolutely Rainmaker. Hitler will be perfectly fine just absorbing the Sudetenland. He definitely won't want to go any further.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2022, 08:19 PM   #4197
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They don't have aspirations that far into Europe. Nor do they have the means to do so.

You shouldn't care unless you work in the defense industry or have some altruistic reason you don't apply to your own country.

Are you a Russian troll?

Maybe it's just me, but you seem rather keen on pointing out flaws in America (not always unjustified) but you're rather non-chalant about authoritarian Russia invading Ukraine.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 01-24-2022 at 08:24 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:19 PM   #4198
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Because it sets a precedence we do not want to encourage. Putin may be happy with Ukraine for a while but he'll think about others eventually.

Personally, I would go the political route and buy sympathizers who will eventually get elected to highest posts. It doesn't matter if Russia occupies Ukraine, it matter that Russia controls Ukraine.

But Putin took Crimea and won that gamble. He has a cult of personality of rebuilding Russia/USSR so something like economic/banking sanctions won't stop him (hey Germany, need some of our natural gas?) if he really wanted to go.

My biggest beef is why is the US, seemingly, taking the lead here in pushing back on Putin. EU should be doing that with US backing.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:01 PM   #4199
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Absolutely Rainmaker. Hitler will be perfectly fine just absorbing the Sudetenland. He definitely won't want to go any further.

Pick up a history book so you can tell the difference in the two and why they are not remotely comparable. This is a dumb take, even for you.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:09 PM   #4200
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
My biggest beef is why is the US, seemingly, taking the lead here in pushing back on Putin. EU should be doing that with US backing.

The EU doesn't care enough. Also, because being a superpower has certain responsibilities, and this is one of them.