Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #4151
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I understand that part of the act involves bullying. I just think it sometimes goes too far or is unnecessary. I didn't see any point in Cena starting up a chant for her last night. They could have gotten the point across just fine without the slut shaming (kissing and flirting makes you a hoe in WWE world apparently). The message I took from it is that it's cool to shame someone like that.

I thought the LayCool thing with Mickie James was stupid too. But I understood they were heels and if anything the message was that they were evil and wrong. Seemed a little too much considering how touchy the issue is for young women and the fact that Mickie has a perfectly healthy body.

I think it can be done tastefully. I didn't think last night's was. It seemed like an unnecessary bit to appease Vince. Not to mention that with such a young audience it doesn't seem smart to direct these toward women. If you're going to do the anti-bullying campaign, don't try and make it seem cool a few minutes later.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #4152
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

CM Punk responded to Chris Brown and challenged him to a fight.

Twitvid

Also thought Cena's promo on the Rock was really good and I wish they'd let him use that character more and drop the cheesy crap he uses 90% of the time.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #4153
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
CM Punk responded to Chris Brown and challenged him to a fight.

Twitvid
Wait, so in CM Punk's world, women are respected and revered?

Did he quit professional wrestling?
Old 02-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #4154
Suicane75
Coordinator

If you have a problem that the law can't solve, perhaps you should hire The A-ce Team.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 02-22-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #4155
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Saw this floating around today, attributed to Wrestling Observer

Quote:
The early word on the TNA Against All Odds pay-per-view is that the show drew around 7,000 buys.

Just wow.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #4156
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Saw this floating around today, attributed to Wrestling Observer

Just wow.

What were they getting at their all time best? I really have the slightest idea what they were getting or what say the WWE Wrestlemania gets for buy rates.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #4157
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
What were they getting at their all time best? I really have the slightest idea what they were getting or what say the WWE Wrestlemania gets for buy rates.

Of course there's mostly only "sources" that float numbers around that aren't confirmed or denied officially but ... 2010 buyrates were generally believed to average about 10k for regular PPV's, as high as 30k for Bound for Glory.

By 2011, BFG was being cited as 20k-25k, so a drop to 7k is pretty much in line with that I guess.

By comparison, here's the latest from the 2011 WWE earnings report
WWE Hell in a Cell – 182,000 (compared to 210,000 in 2010)
WWE Vengeance – 121,000 (compared to 137,000 as Bragging Rights in 2010)
Survivor Series 2011 – 281,000 (compared to 244,000 in 2010)
WWE TLC – 179,000 (compared to 195,000 in 2010)
Old 02-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #4158
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Of course there's mostly only "sources" that float numbers around that aren't confirmed or denied officially but ... 2010 buyrates were generally believed to average about 10k for regular PPV's, as high as 30k for Bound for Glory.

By 2011, BFG was being cited as 20k-25k, so a drop to 7k is pretty much in line with that I guess.

By comparison, here's the latest from the 2011 WWE earnings report
WWE Hell in a Cell – 182,000 (compared to 210,000 in 2010)
WWE Vengeance – 121,000 (compared to 137,000 as Bragging Rights in 2010)
Survivor Series 2011 – 281,000 (compared to 244,000 in 2010)
WWE TLC – 179,000 (compared to 195,000 in 2010)

Wow, that is substantial. I wonder if they will be able to keep up operations much longer. They had a decent product and changed it to try to compete with the WWE and now they probably screwed themselves.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #4159
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow, that is substantial. I wonder if they will be able to keep up operations much longer.

For ever how long Daddy wants (and is able) to keep his dumbass daughter busy to keep her away from the family business.

There's really never been much of a financial justification for TNA's existence.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #4160
Suicane75
Coordinator

I honestly would love to hear someone in TNA explain their business model to me. They seem to have no interest in PPV and have been content with the same ratings for what seems like a decade now. I get why Dixies dad is letting her have a play toy but I'd so much love to hear her explain what the goal of TNA is.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #4161
molson
General Manager

So TNA Impact gets around 1/3 of the TV viewers that RAW does, but only about 5% of the PPV buys of a bad WWE PPV. That's crazy. It's definitely the different booking philosophy. TNA treats a PPV as just another show, and they often use it to set up big matches on free TV. And maybe the fact that TV is the biggest show they have helps their TV ratings, who knows. Maybe 1/3 the TV and 5% of the buyrates is better than 1/5 of the TV and 15% of the buyrates. PPV is dying out, I think they're smart not to depend on it, if that's what they're consciously doing.

I think they should do a TNA gimmick PPV where the audience is all 7,000 people that bought the last PPV. Fly them in and everything.

Last edited by molson : 02-27-2012 at 06:35 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #4162
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I agree with you there, Molson. I think they treat PPV as an annoyance that comes every 4 weeks and interrupts their TV.
I don't buy TNA PPV but half the time the main event is redone on Impact the following week, it's ridiculous how poorly they treat PPV buyers.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #4163
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

It is impressive how the Rock can come back and have the crowd eating up everything he says. I swear I havent heard a WWE crowd that hot for 10 years.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #4164
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

except the rock got his ass verbally destroyed by Cena last night.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #4165
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

MY DVR cut off right as Cena got to the ring. I set it to go 10 minutes longer and its still not long enough a lot of times for RAW.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #4166
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Still didn't change the crowd though.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #4167
cmp
Pro Rookie

They've actually made Cena interesting again with this feud. That in itself makes this feud a success.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #4168
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rock v Cena, Jericho v Punk ... has there ever been more promo skill going head to head at once? I don't think they're all at their best right now, but the potential for any of them to hit a prodigious homerun is there every time they grab a mic.

None of them are Flair at his best IMO but I don't know there's been a better promo'ing foursome all actively engaged at the same time in any promotion.

Austin/DX/Rock maybe worth consideration but I don't recall a 4th participant that was their equal at the time. NWO storyline didn't lend itself to having people come across as equals.

Who/what am I leaving out here?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #4169
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
That was shocking to say the least - Cena absolutely owned the Rock - and the quip about the notes on his wrist made be LOveryL
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #4170
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
That was shocking to say the least - Cena absolutely owned the Rock - and the quip about the notes on his wrist made be LOveryL

I thought he did last year, for a few weeks running. A lot of people don't give Cena credit for last year's promos against The Rock, but I thought they were extraordinary. And I'm a massive Rock mark. Cena has consistently destroyed him. The Rock has not adjusted to the times, and seems lost in it.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #4171
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, I'm sure at least some of it is thaey don't want the guy who's going to be with the company after WM to be massively booed, so the Rock is taking it easy on him, and Rock really doesn't have to do much to get the crowd eating out of his palm..

it's more an attempt to build Cena up then tear Rock down.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #4172
Suicane75
Coordinator

Agree with Comey on Cena although I wouldn't say he's destroying The Rock. Holding his own for sure however. When Cena brings out his harder edge character he's usually awesome. The problem is that the night after Wrestlemania he'll be back to cracking poop jokes and being the goofy go along guy.

The whole WM card is shaping up pretty good both quality and angle wise. I think all top 4 matches have the potential to be very good in ring and intriguing as to who will go over.

Monday morning booking however is making me wish they'd gone with Henry or Big Show being built as the monster going after Bryan and pairing Sheamus off with the other one, but whatevs, Bryan can get a great match out of any of em.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #4173
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Who would've thought that Daniel Bryan would be World Heavyweight Champion for FIVE months? That's insane. I thought he was going to be a 2-3 week champion based on how they were booking him.

I'm really enjoying the character, not especially the vegan part but I think he's very successful as the guy that the fans want to see get his butt kicked. He's not a coward character either, he goes face to face with Big Show or Mark Henry before those "barely escapes" moments. Very cool.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #4174
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

plus his in ring GF is so fucking sexy
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #4175
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

came here just to see the reaction to the rock's promo...disappointed in no buzz.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #4176
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I think all the storylines have been really bad. Rock-Cena is still a must watch, but they are trying hard to kill all the buzz going into it.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #4177
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Scary that one year ago, they were doing 3.8 - 3.9 ratings and pushing for a 4.0 with the Rock there as a special guest referee.

This year with Rock in the main event, they're doing 3.2 - 3.3.

All that work Cena has been doing in the last year to drag down the Rock and tell us why we should hate him for not being there. All that work Rock does to tell us why Cena is fruity like a bowl of cereal is also working. They've both been brought down instead of elevated.

I thought the CM Punk / Jericho segment this week was FINALLY something to make the match memorable. Two great talkers and storytellers and they were doing the most generic build to WM ever. I'm anxious to see what they have in store for us next week!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #4178
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Dola

These guys haven't been allowed to say the word wrestler, or belt, or a million other things that McMahon doesn't like.

They should also not be allowed to use a wrestler's negatives as a talking point, ever. That never works. Ric Flair was great at that at his peak. He took a midcarder and would cower in front of him and make him look like a main eventer. He'd get his Four Horsemen to run interference. And then he'd make the guy look like a star before he'd beat him, which in turn made himself look better.

If you take a main eventer and make him look like a midcarder, when you beat him, you just beat a midcarder. That happens way too much these days, and there's lots of guys that are guilty of that.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #4179
DeToxRox
Head Coach

WM spoiler, be advised

Spoiler
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #4180
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Completely agree with you Mota.

They were able to somehow drop the ball on Cena/Rock and make people not interested at all. Too long of a hype period with very little of importance happening in between. Punk and Jericho will steal the show so I am pumped about that.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #4181
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Take this for what it is worth

Spoiler
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #4182
kingfc22
Head Coach

That was one entertaining match between HHH and Undertaker.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #4183
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Reading spoilers via online, but sounds like the crowd is hating the Cena/The Rock match.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #4184
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

It was a decent match I thought. I think it is ridiculous how many kickouts we see from finishers in Wrestlemania. Abusing it so much that now its not even a big deal from kicking out on a finisher. So many times they feel the need to take the tradition out of wrestling.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-01-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #4185
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Surprised by the winner of the Rock-Cena match. But not complaining.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #4186
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
It was a decent match I thought. I think it is ridiculous how many kickouts we see from finishers in Wrestlemania.

+ 1, 2......OH!!!!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #4187
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
+ 1, 2......OH!!!!

I don't mind it too much as long as the guys in the ring can pull it off. Plus it is WrestleMania.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #4188
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
I don't mind it too much as long as the guys in the ring can pull it off. Plus it is WrestleMania.

I just think they go a little over the top with it. And Cole says the same thing almost everytime when you know he will kick out at 2 3/4.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #4189
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Anyone know why they did that to Bryan? Did he fail a drug test or something?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #4190
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I just think they go a little over the top with it. And Cole says the same thing almost everytime when you know he will kick out at 2 3/4.

Followed by the same astonished look from the wrestler that did the finisher.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #4191
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ha do you smell what the rock is cooking? Its john cena served up with brodus clays mommas stu with a side of shawn Michael's lazy eye

This could also go in the FB post fail thread.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #4192
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Anyone know why they did that to Bryan? Did he fail a drug test or something?

Mcmahon wanted to shit on him for getting over with the fans without his permission
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #4193
Atocep
Coordinator

I watched the HHH/Undertaker match, the Punk/Jericho match, and the Rock/Cena match. I liked all 3 matches although the Taker/HHH match really stood out.

The Rock/Cena match couldn't have possibly lived up to what people were hoping to see and it seemed like the crowd was having a tough time getting into it because there was too much time between action. Watching someone in a submission drag the other wrestler to the ropes to break it for what seemed like the 1,000th time during the PPV and then watching the Rock and Cena lay on the mat for a couple of minutes over and over again took the air out of the match IMO. It was still an entertaining match and I'm surprised they let the Rock win.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #4194
Comey
College Starter

A friend of mine, who used to work for WWE Creative, believes this was a message to the current generation that they aren't doing the job. Every single winner tonight was from the old generation (save Punk, who appears to be the exception). Even the women couldn't escape it (where a TV host went over).

Dark days are ahead for the company.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #4195
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Every single winner tonight was from the old generation (save Punk, who appears to be the exception)

Umm... Sheamus.

While technically there wasn't an old gen wrestler in that one, they did let a new gen guy go over, claiming the #2 belt in the company in the bargain at that.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #4196
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Umm... Sheamus.

While technically there wasn't an old gen wrestler in that one, they did let a new gen guy go over, claiming the #2 belt in the company in the bargain at that.

In asinine fashion.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #4197
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
A friend of mine, who used to work for WWE Creative, believes this was a message to the current generation that they aren't doing the job. Every single winner tonight was from the old generation (save Punk, who appears to be the exception). Even the women couldn't escape it (where a TV host went over).

Dark days are ahead for the company.

Easy to blame the workers when creative is the bigger problem. Build and bury is their theme.

I guess it is good news that they are figuring out things arent working so hopefully changes are on the way. I think they forget that people want the drama but they dont want everything so over the top anymore. It worked for awhile but that time has passed. Lets get it back to being a staged sport 1st and add the soap opera aspects later.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-02-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #4198
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Easy to blame the workers when creative is the bigger problem. Build and bury is their theme.

Even if they are getting buried, how many of them actually put together the better matches from last night? In terms of quality of match, HHH vs. Undertaker seems to be the winner.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #4199
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Even if they are getting buried, how many of them actually put together the better matches from last night? In terms of quality of match, HHH vs. Undertaker seems to be the winner.

Yeah they put on the best match. Undertaker has owned the past few wrestlemanias. I am just saying that it is hard for them to create another UT/HHH type when guys are constantly getting pushed/buried. I mean whats up with Randy Orton right now? He was over for awhile and now hes losing to Kane? I just really dont understand what the bookers are after.

I dont think the wrestling is the actual problem. Fans are just confused by the entire product. Shameus looked to be getting over, then he sucked for a year, now he holds the #2 belt in the company.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-02-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #4200
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if Zach Ryder was given a year off to do nothing but plan one match and film a few promos, he'd have a 5-star match, too.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote