Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #4152
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well, when it's told in a non-linear fashion...

Yes, yes...and had I been expecting that, it might have gone better for me. But to tell the truth, I wasn't engaged during the movie, which is unfortunate, I went in expecting to quite enjoy it (that said, there were probably other factors like tiredness and not really wanting to use my brain).

C'est la vie.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #4153
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Yes, yes...and had I been expecting that, it might have gone better for me. But to tell the truth, I wasn't engaged during the movie, which is unfortunate, I went in expecting to quite enjoy it (that said, there were probably other factors like tiredness and not really wanting to use my brain).

C'est la vie.

/tk

I always figured this one would be more enjoyed by men than women, myself, so maybe that's a factor. After all, it's told from the male perspective and somewhat disparages the female side of things.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #4154
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I always figured this one would be more enjoyed by men than women, myself, so maybe that's a factor. After all, it's told from the male perspective and somewhat disparages the female side of things.

It's payback for all those romcoms that do the opposite.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #4155
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Mystery Team -- 7/10

This movie was at Sundance, but never picked up a distributor so it went straight to DVD. It's comedy about three 18 year olds who started a kids detective agency - like Encyclopeia Brown - when they were 7 and have never really grown up since then. There's Jason, the master of disguise; Duncan, the boy genius; and Charlie, the strongest kid in the neighborhood. Of course, Jason is horrible at disguises, Duncan's "genius" all comes from a "101 Strange Facts" book he memorized when he was 7, and Charlie has grown up to be dim-witted weakling.

They still dress and talk like they were when they were kids and all of their mysteries over the years have involved things like lost cats, who stuck his finger in ole Miss. Abernathy's pie, missing baseballs, etc. The movie involves a little girl riding up to their rickety old lemond stand-style detective booth and asking them to find out who killed her parents. Hillarity ensues.

The movie is really funny. There is some gross out type stuff, but most of the humor is pretty sharp. A lot of it deals with how the world, that has moved on, deals with these three guys who still dress and talk like kids and drink chocolate milk.

I laughed out loud mutiple times and there are some pretty memorable lines. It's lighthearted and they do a great job with the characters. There are a number of cameos in it, like "Dot Com" and "Lutz" from "30 Rock", "Erin" (the new receptionist) from "The Office." One the leads, Donald Glover, is Troy from "Community."

It's really a good time and exactly what I was expecting. If you're in the mood for a comedy, I'd definitely recommend renting it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #4156
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Thanks for the reminder, HB. Every sundance I write a list of films that I hear about that I would like to watch and try and track when they come out on DVD. My tracking skills obviously suck.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #4157
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Thanks for the reminder, HB. Every sundance I write a list of films that I hear about that I would like to watch and try and track when they come out on DVD. My tracking skills obviously suck.

You should check it out. I really enjoyed. In fact, the more I think about it, the funnier it gets.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #4158
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

That's one of the nice things about Netflix you can just throw it in there and then you can get it eventually because you have already noted it down.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #4159
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea, I have netflix. I just went ahead and added about twenty movies to my queue. They don't have a date for release but if it ever comes it will be handy for them to just throw them on.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #4160
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The original "To Be or Not to Be" is a brilliant, brilliant movie.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #4161
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quarantine (8 / 10): Finally got around to watching this last night before it disappeared from the Netflix On Demand queue, and I really enjoyed it. It's basically a well put-together and suspenseful zombie movie. I was a little leery at first when I saw that it was going to be one of those "all shot with one camera as a documentary" sort of movies, but this one was quite well-done and didn't resort to excessive camera-shake in order to convey confusion and panic, just enough to get the point across without being distracting or difficult to watch. The acting was pretty good as well and the story was a pretty good one with some sense as to why the events you are seeing are occurring (or at least you get that sense before the end). Plus it has Dexter's sister in the lead role, which is a plus for me. If you're a zombie movie fan, check it out.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #4162
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Quarantine (8 / 10): Finally got around to watching this last night before it disappeared from the Netflix On Demand queue, and I really enjoyed it. It's basically a well put-together and suspenseful zombie movie. I was a little leery at first when I saw that it was going to be one of those "all shot with one camera as a documentary" sort of movies, but this one was quite well-done and didn't resort to excessive camera-shake in order to convey confusion and panic, just enough to get the point across without being distracting or difficult to watch. The acting was pretty good as well and the story was a pretty good one with some sense as to why the events you are seeing are occurring (or at least you get that sense before the end). Plus it has Dexter's sister in the lead role, which is a plus for me. If you're a zombie movie fan, check it out.

Did you see [Rec]? Apparently, Quarantine is a re-make of [Rec], which is a foreign movie (Spanish? French? Italian? I froget.) I was just wondering if you could compare the two.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #4163
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Did you see [Rec]? Apparently, Quarantine is a re-make of [Rec], which is a foreign movie (Spanish? French? Italian? I froget.) I was just wondering if you could compare the two.

Haven't seen [Rec], but I did notice it in the credits. Now that you mention it, I'll probably add it to my Netflix queue. However, based on the length of my queue, you can expect a review sometime in 2012.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 07-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #4164
Groundhog
Coordinator

Toy Story 3 - 9/10

I'm not even sure how, but I've never seen 1 or 2. The gf wanted to see this though so I went along, ended up that I knew enough about the characters to jump straight into this one. Pixar are just an amazing company.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #4165
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Toy Story 3 - 9/10

I'm not even sure how, but I've never seen 1 or 2. The gf wanted to see this though so I went along, ended up that I knew enough about the characters to jump straight into this one. Pixar are just an amazing company.
Have they ever made a bad movie? I'm seeing this over the weekend and am actually looking forward to it. The company is amazing and it seems like every demographic enjoys it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #4166
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Have they ever made a bad movie? I'm seeing this over the weekend and am actually looking forward to it. The company is amazing and it seems like every demographic enjoys it.

A quick look at their releases, and only Cars has sub-great ratings. I haven't seen that one. The rest are all ranked in the 90s on RT.

As good as the animation is in their movies, it's the writing that sets them apart from everybody else. I mean, just from their last 3 movies - Wall-E, Up, Toy Story 3 - all had an emotional depth not seen in "children's movies" since... well, my own childhood I guess. I think kids movies got dumbed down in a biiiiig way over the 90s and 00s, and Pixar are pretty much the only studio that's gone against that trend.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #4169
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Ken/Barbee was the highlight of this one for me.

Yup, no question about it. Hilarious.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #4170
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Loved Cars.

I'll go as far as to say Up isn't a kids movie. Miscarriage + natural death in the first 10 minutes takes it out of kids movie range for me.

That's the thing about it though, it's both a kid's movie and an adult's movie. Like most of Pixar's films. To kids, it's a movie about a guy who ties balloons to his house and floats away. To adults, it's a movie about a lonely old man who has never recovered from the death of his childhood sweetheart.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #4171
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Toy Story 3 - 9/10

Now that I think on it, I've never seen 1 or 2, either. And now I still haven't seen 3.
Hmm.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:07 AM   #4172
Sgran
High School Varsity

What the heck???!!! No one's seen Inception yet? It's like, 5AM in New York. that's plenty of time to see it, go home and tell me how awesome it is. I have to wait until next week to see it here in Hungary.

Oh well, I'll just keep myself busy with a two-part review of the Blood and Ice Cream series:

Shaun of the Dead 9/10 -- Why is it that I'm skeptical of every zombie and Holocaust movie? Is it fatigue? I waited two years to see this and absolutely loved it. The best part for me was how the zombie takeover was happening in the background, but zombies weren't that much different from normal people so you weren't that surprised that Shaun keeps missing all of the clues. Clever and laugh-out-loud funny. I'm not even sure why I don't give it a 10 other than further denial.

Hot Fuzz 4/10 -- What a disappointment after Shaun of the Dead. I can't remember laughing once and it didn't go far enough over the top to be good satire. Mrs. Sgran fell asleep halfway through and I was jealous that she got an extra hour of sleep.

Last edited by Sgran : 07-16-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #4173
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
What the heck???!!! No one's seen Inception yet? It's like, 5AM in New York. that's plenty of time to see it, go home and tell me how awesome it is. I have to wait until next week to see it here in Hungary.

Hot Fuzz 4/10 -- What a disappointment after Shaun of the Dead. I can't remember laughing once and it didn't go far enough over the top to be good satire. Mrs. Sgran fell asleep halfway through and I was jealous that she got an extra hour of sleep.

A Twilight fan I know said Inception was a waste of 2.5 hours, so I assume it will be good. Hot Fuzz was disappointing, but it's a slow build towards the end, which I loved. I liked it more the second time I saw it. I wouldn't do a double feature watch of Shaun and Fuzz. I would do Shaun and Zombieland.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #4174
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

It's funny, I was just talking with a friend about how I considered Hot Fuzz a top ten movie of the last decade. Different strokes.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #4175
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
It's funny, I was just talking with a friend about how I considered Hot Fuzz a top ten movie of the last decade. Different strokes.

+1. The movie's genius. I may even rank it slightly above "Shaun of The Dead" and I loves me some zombie movies. Don't get me wrong, I loved "Shaun" it's just the end always throws me off a bit, whereas I thought "Hot Fuzz" stayed more consistent in tone throughout.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #4176
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm with Ronnie. I absolutely love Hot Fuzz!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #4177
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Put me in the Hott Fuzz is awesome category. The last part of the movie, which basically makes a joke of the entire first half and of the characters, is just brilliant satire.

Point Break, baby!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #4178
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Fuzz was good, but Shaun of the Dead was definitely better.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #4179
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

First hour of SotD was top notch. Second is where is slips.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #4180
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd put Hot Fuzz > Shawn of the Dead. Then again, I like cop/mystery movies more than zombie movies (neither are necessarily high on my list, however).
Old 07-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #4181
rowech
Pro Starter

Invention of Lying (7/10) -- Not at all the kind of movie I expected. It's definitely Gervais' philosophy on life. If you're at all religious you might take offense...depending on how strongly religious you are, you could take no to moderate to extreme offense at it. If you're an atheist, you'll probably like it a bit more. I'm shocked more offense, protests, pickets, etc. did not come about because of it.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #4182
Atocep
Coordinator

I really liked Hot Fuzz. Just a great movie. Shaun of the Dead is a classic in its genre, though. It immediately comes to mind when I think of zombie movies.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #4183
Groundhog
Coordinator

If you like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, you really need to buy the DVD boxed set of Spaced, if you haven't already.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #4184
sabotai
General Manager

I liked Hot Fuzz (as well as Run Fatboy Run), but I wouldn't put it ahead of Shaun of the Dead.

But, for me, the two (three) movies are too different to really do an apples to apples comparison. It may just come down to which genres you prefer. For me, I love me some zombie movies, comedy or horror.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #4185
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I had class the night before and wasnt planning on doing anything that night. I didn't wait in line and showed up 20 minutes before it started. The movies are entertaining enough for me and I didn't pay for the ticket.

Acceptable.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #4186
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Avatar (7 / 10): I give Cameron's movie a 4/10 for story and 10/10 for presentation. No one could see this and not comment on how gorgeous it is...truly a feast for the eyes. As for the story itself, I expected to be bludgeoned about the head and neck with Cameron's usual heavy-handed morality, and while that certainly happened, it was not as bad as I expected. Perhaps I've just gotten accustomed to it. I've always been torn on Cameron's work. I appreciate the grandeur and spectacle that he brings to the screen, but the way he assumes his audience is always a pack of brick-skulled morons gets to me. 4/10 is generous for me when it comes to that aspect of his movies.

2012 (6 / 10): And here I thought Volcano or The Day After Tomorrow had a lot of movie junk-science. This was another feast for the eyes (though not to the degree of Avatar) that fell short in other areas. I figured this was one of those where I needed to "check my brain at the door" in order to enjoy it, and while I'm usually pretty good at that, the pure quantity of bullsh*t science in this one made that rather difficult. Still, it was an impressive spectacle and did a good job of dramatic tension in spots. Not a bad way to spend an evening.

Edit: John Cusack needs to not be cast in this sort of thing, though. He felt out of place to me. Stick to romantic comedies and dramas John...that's where your strengths are.
Allegiances:
Awards:

Last edited by DataKing : 07-19-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #4187
korme
Go Reds

Inception - ???/10. - I gotta see it again.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #4188
rowech
Pro Starter

Inception -- ???/10 -- totally agree with korme.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:44 AM   #4189
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

This documentary is about two guys, one who has held the world record for the early 80s arcade game Donkey Kong and the man who is trying to beat that record. It also goes into detail on competitive gaming and how it started and the history of Twin Galaxies which maintains records on hundreds of games from all eras. The way the two guys are portrayed make you really want to root for the challenger who gets dicked over a few times in the course of the film. I recommend it to anyone who likes video games.

8/10

Easily an 8/10, and I might even go 9/10. You've got the perfect doucebag villian. Available on instant watch....basically you gotta check this one out if you have netflix.

Donkey Kong kill screen coming up....if you're interested.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:43 AM   #4190
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yah, I want to see King of Kong again, but after I saw it in the cinema it was abou tan 8.5 or 9.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #4192
tarcone
Coordinator

12 Angry Men (1957) - 9/10

What a powerful movie. Great writing, great acting, great plot.
Cast is incredible: Martin Balsam, John Fiedler, Lee Cobb, E G Marshall, Jack Klugman, Edward Binns, Jack Warden, Henry Fonda, Joseph Sweeney, Ed Begley, George Voskovec, Robert Webber.

Awesome.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #4193
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Sorcerer's Apprentice - 6/10: Great CGI and effects, middling plot. The plot was cookie cutter and fairly obvious. The acting by Cage wasn't actually that bad and Molina was very good villain. Barucel as the apprentice was a 'meh'. The movie was probably about a half hour too long, but as long as you turned off your brain it was ok. Seemed like they were trying to capitalize on no Harry Potter movie this movie by throwing anything they could together.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #4194
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Easily an 8/10, and I might even go 9/10. You've got the perfect doucebag villian. Available on instant watch....basically you gotta check this one out if you have netflix.

Donkey Kong kill screen coming up....if you're interested.

Watched it after I read the reviews here, agreed, awesome documentary.

9/10
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #4195
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Go Tigers-7.5/10 Documentary about the 2000 Massillon(OH) Tigers football squad. As well as general high school football and the politics surrounding it. It's on Netflix instant watch. With HS football getting ready to begin, it is time appropriate.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #4196
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
12 Angry Men (1957) - 9/10

What a powerful movie. Great writing, great acting, great plot.
Cast is incredible: Martin Balsam, John Fiedler, Lee Cobb, E G Marshall, Jack Klugman, Edward Binns, Jack Warden, Henry Fonda, Joseph Sweeney, Ed Begley, George Voskovec, Robert Webber.

Awesome.

What's even more amazing is that 95% of the movie takes place in one little jury room.

Speaking of Sidney Lumet...

Fail-Safe (1964) 9/10

This is the serious version of Dr. Strangelove. It's the Cold War and a group of US bombers gets orders to drop the Bomb on Moscow due to machine malfunction (or Russian interference?). A very tense and thought-provoking movie.

Spoiler
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #4197
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

2012 (aka, The Year We Dodge Alotta Crap) : 2/10. It should be a 1, but I'll give it a little extra just for the comedic value. What is it with the cliche of the divorced scatter brained man, that has a less than stellar relationship with the kids, always misses appointments and the wife has remarried (or is at least on the outs with the ex) and is now faced with the end of the world.. (See - The War of the Worlds, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012 and to a lesser degree Goldblum in Independence Day)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #4198
DataKing
Pro Rookie

The Wolfman (5 / 10): A modern remake of the Lon Chaney Jr. classicwas what they set out to do here, but ultimately it feels like all they did was gore it up and use modern CGI for the transformation sequences. There's some decent action scenes in here, but only a couple of moments that I would call really gratifying with regards to the story itself. Overall a so-so experience.

Taken (6.5 / 10): A decent suspense/thriller sort of movie here. Not Liam Neeson's best work, but overall a solid performance. No really great twists or anything like that, but I felt they did a pretty good job of building suspense as Neeson's character is running out of time to find his daughter. Fair warning though, some may have issues with the subject matter.

Spoiler
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #4199
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
2012 (aka, The Year We Dodge Alotta Crap) : 2/10. It should be a 1, but I'll give it a little extra just for the comedic value. What is it with the cliche of the divorced scatter brained man, that has a less than stellar relationship with the kids, always misses appointments and the wife has remarried (or is at least on the outs with the ex) and is now faced with the end of the world.. (See - The War of the Worlds, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012 and to a lesser degree Goldblum in Independence Day)

I watched it this weekend also, I give it 0 stars. 0.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #4200
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

Heh... look up Emmerich, Roland.