Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #4151
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, they only took the bits, I just told them to toss it all.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #4152
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
So doing some reseach. Screwdrivers are explicitly allowed while drill bits are not....? I could carry on 25 actual screwdrivers but not 6 bits?

Pretty sure you can do plenty of damage if you jam a screwdriver into someone hard enough versus a drill bit.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #4153
stevew
Hall Of Famer

wow, TSA looking cunty in preseason
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #4154
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Yeah, they only took the bits, I just told them to toss it all.

Well, I wouldn't complain about losing the driver. You threw that away. Somewhere out there there is a TSA worker laughing his ass off while tightening loose screws to his heart's content. Coulda picked up some bits, but noooooo... you had to have it all or nothing!

Where did that getcha?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #4155
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well bits and screwdriver were kind of a package deal on this driver. I can afford to lose 15 or whatever bucks. But having a screwdriver comes in handy with my job, not having one ever again when I travel is a pain in the ass. I'm certainly not going to check luggage for a 2-3 day trip. If this even remotely improved security it would be ok. But its just mpre theater from a useless organization.

The only thing they got right was making a good looking woman a supervisor. I would have probably made more of an ass of myself otherwise.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #4156
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I have a new complaint, this time regarding airplane food on United. United, in what I can only assume was a cost-saving measure, made only one type of "special meal." So, since I ordered the vegetarian meal, I also get one that's heart-healthy and relatively lower-carb.

Two flights, two vegetarian meals. No roll in either (both had rye crisp type things), no real butter (low-fat butter substitute), and no dessert.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #4157
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
I am trying to figure out what to do for dinner. No groceries in the house and no motivation to go shop. I think I've narrowed it down to Chinese or Indian. But I'm also open to suggestion.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #4158
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Well, its been an interesting last couple of days.

It just got added to since I originally started typing this post two hours ago but stopped to go to a relatives house that had a basement. Unconfirmed touchdown about 15 miles from us and we came home to a little wind damage.

Anyway, on Saturday I blew off an unknown number that did leave a voice mail. After hacking it later, I find that its a promo modeling company that does trade shows. I had put in an application for the girl I've mentioned here before. Over the day, the lady and I exchange several texts. I find out she's also a model, done some work for Guess, and now is lead model for this promo outfit. I send her some shots of the girl and we to talking about modeling and photography. Out if the blue, she asks if I'd like to do a modeling shoot with her. Heck yes, its a great portfolio boost for me and might lead to some work with this company. Good day.

Then, today there was a posting listed for a teaching job in Abu Dhabi. My wife and I have talked and she just doesnt want to move anywhere overseas. I killed the idea because a $1000 a month raise wasn't worth leaving the family. Hen this job gets posted for a vice principals spot, which I have the qualifications for. Pay? $7900 a month. Way more than what my wife AND I bring home. Suddenly, I have a choice to make. Financial independence in a year if two for the family at the cost of missing the family the same amount of time. Urgh...
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #4159
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Then, today there was a posting listed for a teaching job in Abu Dhabi. My wife and I have talked and she just doesnt want to move anywhere overseas. I killed the idea because a $1000 a month raise wasn't worth leaving the family. Hen this job gets posted for a vice principals spot, which I have the qualifications for. Pay? $7900 a month. Way more than what my wife AND I bring home. Suddenly, I have a choice to make. Financial independence in a year if two for the family at the cost of missing the family the same amount of time. Urgh...

Just so I'm clear here, the vice-principal job is also in Abu Dhabi?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #4160
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I guess I kind of assumed all houses in the midwest had basements
Old 05-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #4161
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

You can't get the wife to move for the $7900/month job with the improvement in financial security for the family??

I would think that would be pretty awesome actually - a chance to experience a whole different culture and a really rapidly growing and interesting part of the world.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #4162
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I think someone just did the African Anteater dance on Dancing With the Stars...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #4163
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I can't figure out if I want to do grad school or not. I've been in the same boat forever I feel like.

Someone decide for me.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #4164
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Someone decide for me.

No.

Do something else for 6 months and then ask me again.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 05-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #4165
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I guess I kind of assumed all houses in the midwest had basements

No way. I'm looking at a lot of homes right now in the Chicago suburbs, and the area I'm looking at gets flooded a lot, so a lot of places around there don't have basements.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #4166
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I bought some organic whole milk today. Man, that stuff is so much better than regular milk. It actually tastes like I remember milk tasting. Definitely worth the upgrade as long as the kids don't drink it all.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #4167
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
No way. I'm looking at a lot of homes right now in the Chicago suburbs, and the area I'm looking at gets flooded a lot, so a lot of places around there don't have basements.

Out of curiosity, which burbs?
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #4168
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Yes, the vice principal spot is in Abu Dhabi. And my wife just got her job in the school district, loves it, and doesn't want to go. And although she won't admit its as big an issue, the thought of living in the Middle East isn't the most appealing to her, even if the UAE is one of the safest and most economically healthy countries in the area.

Of course, it doesn't help today I had a kid break down on me. I'm a naturally sarcastic, somewhat joking teacher. Never anything malicious, of course, but for the first time in 13 years I had a kid take offense to it (even though him and I have been like this all year and we are just 2 weeks from the end of school). Why now? Who knows. Between that and Indiana's continuing cutting of the education budget, that overseas application is looking a little more interesting.

Perhaps Thursday will go well and I can drown my sorrows on weekends by taking pictures of women at car shows.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #4169
Izulde
Head Coach

If it was me, I'd be off to Abu Dhabi just like that.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #4170
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I can understand a woman not being particularly thrilled to be transplanted into the Middle East with no job.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #4171
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Yes, the vice principal spot is in Abu Dhabi. And my wife just got her job in the school district, loves it, and doesn't want to go. And although she won't admit its as big an issue, the thought of living in the Middle East isn't the most appealing to her, even if the UAE is one of the safest and most economically healthy countries in the area.

Of course, it doesn't help today I had a kid break down on me. I'm a naturally sarcastic, somewhat joking teacher. Never anything malicious, of course, but for the first time in 13 years I had a kid take offense to it (even though him and I have been like this all year and we are just 2 weeks from the end of school). Why now? Who knows. Between that and Indiana's continuing cutting of the education budget, that overseas application is looking a little more interesting.

Perhaps Thursday will go well and I can drown my sorrows on weekends by taking pictures of women at car shows.

I'm assuming its the American school there and if that's the case, its a good place - I was a third-culture-kid who went to those schools around the world, and they are generally pretty nice places. And the UAE is pretty nice, albeit expensive, but the schools generally go out of their way to help with that stuff. I'd do it for life experience as well - how often do you get to spend a couple of years around the world? Do you have kids etc etc - I can see how that might complicate the decision.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #4172
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I can understand a woman not being particularly thrilled to be transplanted into the Middle East with no job.

Its Abu Dhabi, not Tehran. Life's ok there.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #4173
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think Arab countries do have the right idea by not letting females drive.

[/misogyny].
Old 05-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #4174
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Its Abu Dhabi, not Tehran. Life's ok there.

Yeah, I get that....I still think it would be hard to ignore completely, at least for me personally.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #4175
ColtCrazy
College Starter

It's actually with the Abu Dhabi public school system. They've redone their curriculum to have native English teachers teach several subjects. The Vice Principal, from what I can tell, helps oversea the English speaking teachers.

I applied if only to keep it open as an option. My wife is open to me going. Kids are involved so I'd hate to leave them and my wife. The money is amazing and would put us in great financial shape once I came back.

I would apply for a sabbatical with my current school. I'm guessing they might allow it because of the wealth of cultural knowledge I could bring back to the classroom. However, I could never predict what the board would do for certain. Without a sabbatical, it's probably not an option. I'd worry too much about trying to find another spot in this area when I return.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #4176
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Ewww, splitting up the fam is no fun. That sounds even less desirable than dragging everybody with you. How long is the contract for?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #4177
ColtCrazy
College Starter

It's a two year contract, which worries me some, because I would hate to want to leave after year one if I don't like it or and be stuck.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #4178
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I love it when I'm trying to stick a disc into my 360 slim, and my finger brushes against the eject/close button before I've got the disc fully settled, and the tray closes, jamming the disc between the tray and the console, as the tray grinds away on itself as the disc shudders back and forth, making some horrible noises and scratching the shit out of the disc, as I'm swearing at it and trying to pry the disc out with brute force. That's good times, shared between man and machine, right there.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-24-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #4179
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure why people don't just stay the hell out of threads that they think will upset them.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #4180
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I love it when I'm trying to stick a disc into my 360 slim, and my finger brushes against the eject/close button before I've got the disc fully settled, and the tray closes, jamming the disc between the tray and the console, as the tray grinds away on itself as the disc shudders back and forth, making some horrible noises and scratching the shit out of the disc, as I'm swearing at it and trying to pry the disc out with brute force. That's good times, shared between man and machine, right there.

One simple change from a c to a k changes this posting dramatically.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #4181
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Oh yeah -- floppy disk instead of compact disc?

Good one.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #4182
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dancing With the Stars comment:

Spoiler

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 05-24-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #4183
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Spoiler

Last edited by Passacaglia : 05-24-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #4184
Radii
Head Coach

lol pumpy
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:37 AM   #4185
Suicane75
Coordinator

Apparently they auctioned off a boatload of Corner Gas memorabilia from the actual set about a month ago on ebay and I missed it. I am so angry with myself and more than a little sad inside. Most of it didn't even go for more than $30.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:02 AM   #4186
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Dancing With the Stars comment:

Spoiler

So you aren't going to the parade?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #4187
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Getting my first taste of "gotta buy the textbook for a one time online code" and I dont like it at all. Was hoping to be able to skim the book in the Library and save a few bucks.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #4188
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Getting my first taste of "gotta buy the textbook for a one time online code" and I dont like it at all. Was hoping to be able to skim the book in the Library and save a few bucks.

huh?

You go to a sschool that doesn;t even have one copy of the textbook on reserve?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #4189
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
So you aren't going to the parade?
They're not seriously doing a damn parade for this, are they? I like living around here in general, but people sure do ridiculous things around here sometimes.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #4190
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
They're not seriously doing a damn parade for this, are they? I like living around here in general, but people sure do ridiculous things around here sometimes.

I would like to say no, but I honestly would not be all that surprised if there was some sort of event...maybe a rally, or something?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #4191
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
huh?

You go to a sschool that doesn;t even have one copy of the textbook on reserve?

You gotta have a code in order to do the tests/homework. Really lame.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #4192
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
You gotta have a code in order to do the tests/homework. Really lame.

Is it some online school?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #4193
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Nah. It's just this one class I'm taking this summer at YSU.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #4194
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Nah. It's just this one class I'm taking this summer at YSU.

So you pay tuition for the class, then have to pay an additional fee to take the tests and do the homework?

Absurd.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #4195
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. I can't believe you never had a class that involved buying a textbook with a code before. I thought it was fairly standard practice, although I hadn't seen it until now.

College textbooks are such a rape job....and in this case I can't even sell back my 80 dollar book.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #4196
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm going to be going back to school in July. Shelling out ridiculous amounts for books is probably the part I'm looking forward to least...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #4197
stevew
Hall Of Famer

TBH I'd advise not buying any book until you at least see the syllabus for the class. Buying from Amazon new is usually the cheapest way to get texts. Google Amazon Student and you can get a free student prime subscription once you have your school email. Plus they are running that free XBox promo for students.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #4198
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

yeah, I dodn't remember ever having to buy a text book just for a code to take tests and do homework, and I just graduated last year.

And I agree, the cost of text books is a total joke
Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #4199
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
TBH I'd advise not buying any book until you at least see the syllabus for the class. Buying from Amazon new is usually the cheapest way to get texts. Google Amazon Student and you can get a free student prime subscription once you have your school email. Plus they are running that free XBox promo for students.

Awesome, thanks...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #4200
duckman
Pro Starter

Pretty shitty when your now ex-girlfriend breaks up with you via text.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote