Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #4101
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
A woman just walked by while playing with her cell phone. Just as she got to my cubicle, the phone flew out of her hand and landed right under my chair. She rushed in, sheepishly apologized, and proceeded the crawl under my chair without even waiting for me to get up or move out of the way. Ah, yes, the old "throw the cell phone under Pumpy's chair" trick again. Story of my life.

Pics please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
She must have been hoping it was Commando Wednesday in Pumpyville.

Uh... nevermind!
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #4102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't watch this channel at all (mainly because I am mechanically challenged and don't have a shred of interest in any of it), but given the problems we're having with our house, I've had 3-4 people suggest that we'd be the perfect candidate for Holmes on Homes. So I checked, and unfortunately, they aren't casting for his show right now. But I could use a deal on what looks to be a mid-5 figure re-construction job.

Hey, if there's money to be made on it then I'm on board in that regard
Old 05-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #4103
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont own a house so that might be the draw
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #4104
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I totally don't get the popularity of these (which do surprisingly good numbers with men btw).

There is no more hellish/stressful/nightmarish experience in my life than buying property (some equal, none worse). Watching those for more than few minutes of amusement at the occasionally clueless would-be buyer conjures those nightmares, I truly don't get how anyone stands them for much more than the UIC value.

FTR, this isn't so much directed at you as it is my wife, who watches the hell out of these things.
While I don't have a Season Pass for "House Hunters", etc, I do enjoy watching those types of shows. There are a couple of reasons:
  1. I enjoy seeing the different house styles depending on where the couple is located. This is even more interesting to me for House Hunters International.
  2. The price differences depending on location.
  3. While we watch the show, it's a chance to see rooms and features that we think we would like versus not like. So as we discuss them with each other, we're also kinda testing the waters for house features (NOT that we are looking to buy a new house, but as we get older, features that used to be important aren't as much anymore).
  4. We are especially fascinated by "Selling New York". We are always astonished at just how expensive real estate is in NYC. And some of the "homes" have unbelievable views.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #4105
mckerney
Coordinator

Finally got around to removing some sites from showing up in Google News, no more wading through SB Nation and Bleacher Report when searching for sports news.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #4106
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yeah, those sites suck
Old 05-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #4107
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

So I flew to London on Tuesday (from Dulles). I had planned on sleeping on the flight. Boy did that plan get fubar'd. First, our plane takes forever actually getting up in the air, and I usually try to conk out after we're up so that I can clear my ears (mine are very sensitive to the pressure changes).

Finally, we get in the air and they come around with dinner. This is a 10 p.m. flight, mind you. Turns out that this is the first time my work's travel agent has bothered to look at my meal preference in my profile and actually told the airline I require a vegetarian dinner. So they bring me a vegetarian dinner I had no interest in and felt bad saying "no" (it wasn't bad, quinoa and fruit). But apparently "vegetarian" also means "healthy." So I got Smart Balance instead of butter, a small whole wheat bread slice instead of a roll, and NO DESSERT! The tragedy!

Finally I was ready to sleep when my seat mate decides he needs to use the restroom. OK fine. He proceeded to do this 3 more times in a 7 hour flight. Oi.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #4108
JediKooter
Coordinator

Two words: Window seat.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #4109
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
yeah, those sites suck

I understand how blogs and included in a news search, but not how sites that allow anyone to write articles make the cut.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #4110
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

Because I'm so tall and work doesn't do business class except for people who are a MUCH higher pay grade, I usually get an aisle seat so I can have pretend legroom. Though this time I did economy plus (United) so I had a little more...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #4111
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

yeah, I always try to get a window seat, curl up against the wall, and try to tune everything and everyone else out.

I flew yeasterday and I knew the guy in the seat next to me was a talker, you know the type. The guy who sits down and immedeatly says "you going home or leaving home!?"

I ignored him, put on my headphones, and refused to make eye contact.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #4112
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I think there's a substantial quality difference between SBNation (try and get a key blogger in each city in each sport) and BleacherReport (every 22 year old who watched 1 game), but YMMV.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #4113
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Because I'm so tall and work doesn't do business class except for people who are a MUCH higher pay grade, I usually get an aisle seat so I can have pretend legroom. Though this time I did economy plus (United) so I had a little more...

/tk

Totally. 6'3" means all airplanes are evil and a window is just a really sturdy person that won't give me an inch.

I take the economy plus type seats every time, even if it's from my own pocket.

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-19-2011 at 05:34 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #4114
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I think there's a substantial quality difference between SBNation (try and get a key blogger in each city in each sport) and BleacherReport (every 22 year old who watched 1 game), but YMMV.
I don't think they are anything alike. SBN actually has some decent writers and good pieces. BR is just the worst thing in the history of sports.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #4115
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't think they are anything alike. SBN actually has some decent writers and good pieces. BR is just the worst thing in the history of sports.

I'm biased, of course, but I totally agree.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #4116
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I also like reading SBNation. It's a great one-stop shop for seeing how various fanbases are reacting to sports events, especially opposing sides of a particular game. Game threads are a hoot to read to see reactions to interesting or pivotal moments in a game after-the-fact (such as, oh, the incident with Ben Eager in the penalty box in Vancouver last night).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #4117
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I have had a borderline major migraine for 3 days...meds are not touching it....This sucks...
Old 05-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #4118
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ugh, getting strongarmed into going to the f'n movies this afternoon by my wife. Would really rather just stay right here in this f'n chair, which frankly is the case about 99% of the time.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #4119
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Ugh, getting strongarmed into going to the f'n movies this afternoon by my wife. Would really rather just stay right here in this f'n chair, which frankly is the case about 99% of the time.

That'd be one of the reasons I'm hesitant to get married.... I love my easy chair too much and I'm afraid any potential wife would make me get off of it too often
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #4120
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
That'd be one of the reasons I'm hesitant to get married.... I love my easy chair too much and I'm afraid any potential wife would make me get off of it too often

That seems to be worst in the first decade or so, after that it isn't quite as frequent.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #4121
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

In sitting at the doctors office because I have an infected ingrown toe nail. It hurts like a bitch and the antibiotics are making my ears ring.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #4122
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think this is one thing to be said in favor of kids when they are younger. Yes, you are stuck at home more often...but on the plus side, you are stuck at home more often. I don't think I've had to deal with a surprise like that in awhile
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #4123
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I have had a borderline major migraine for 3 days...meds are not touching it....This sucks...

I feel your pain. I just sat through a wedding reception that felt more like a night club with a migraine. Flashing lights. High pitched music (the low-bass beats in a lot of dance music was fine, it was when they played older songs like the twist...the part that goes "Now WWWWAAAAAIIIITTTTT A MINUTE" ... AGH!!!!!).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #4124
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I saw a nice program in Detroit that takes old children's bikes & fixes them up & gives them to poor kids. I ask my mom if my daughter's old bike that I bought is still in her garage collecting spider webs. Yes. Well, how about next time she is over, you two take the bike in so she can donate it to help some poor kid. "I was thinking in a few years we could clean it up and (my sister's 3 year old) might ride it when she comes over." Then she tells me how nice that program sounds.

If I was gonna be there I would take it & donate it myself... My mom is a hoarder.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #4125
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
In sitting at the doctors office because I have an infected ingrown toe nail. It hurts like a bitch and the antibiotics are making my ears ring.

Man I used to hate that. In the end I got both sides of each big toenail's roots treated with acid and that's worked out perfectly, no problems since the procedures were done.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #4126
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

So went above mom's head & called my kid, who technically owns the bike. She's for donating it, but won't be in town next week. She's going out of town to where she's looking to attend college in the fall. So what's going on with the school? Nothing. There is a festival she wants to attend where there will be clothes & stuff she wants to buy. Her mom is going to take her on a five hour drive to hit a festival & buy her crap half a week before her scheduled high school graduation date. Even she admits it is very unlikely that she'll graduate. This is the fundamental difference between her mother & me on raising a fucking kid. Ugh.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #4127
molson
General Manager

I wish Lance Armstrong would just come clean already.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #4128
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I saw a nice program in Detroit that takes old children's bikes & fixes them up & gives them to poor kids. I ask my mom if my daughter's old bike that I bought is still in her garage collecting spider webs. Yes. Well, how about next time she is over, you two take the bike in so she can donate it to help some poor kid. "I was thinking in a few years we could clean it up and (my sister's 3 year old) might ride it when she comes over." Then she tells me how nice that program sounds.

If I was gonna be there I would take it & donate it myself... My mom is a hoarder.

Are you my long lost sibling because that sounds like my mother. Last year I put a broken toy out for the annual city clean up. It ended up at my moms house because she thinks she can fix it.12 months later and its still not fixed...and never will be.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #4129
ColtCrazy
College Starter

On a different note, I went to a matinee movie with a friend and came home without bringing ky wife something to eat. She never likes if I do that because it gets cold on the way home since the closest theater is 25 miles away. Yet, who gets in troy le for not calling to ask if she wants something to eat? Fine, ill go out and get her something. Now, naturally, she isn't hungry. Just mad. Fun times tonight. married 8 years love her to death, still can't figure her out.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #4130
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

is there a better feeling than the feeling you get after finishing a workout that you had zero motivation to do?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #4131
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
On a different note, I went to a matinee movie with a friend and came home without bringing ky wife something to eat. She never likes if I do that because it gets cold on the way home since the closest theater is 25 miles away. Yet, who gets in troy le for not calling to ask if she wants something to eat? Fine, ill go out and get her something. Now, naturally, she isn't hungry. Just mad. Fun times tonight. married 8 years love her to death, still can't figure her out.

This reminded me of the time Mrs. SR was pregnant with our daughter.

She had a really rough time her first trimester. This day in January, she skipped work, and I ended up staying late. Get home after 6:00 to one light on in the entire. She's sleeping, I ask if she wants me to make something to eat or go out and grab something. "I don't know". Downstairs about half an hour later (she moved to the couch), same question, same answer. Another half hour passes. Same story.

Finally about 8:00 I go in the kitchen and a PB&J. Come back into the living room...to crying. Panicked I ask what's wrong.

" I guess I'll just starve!"

Point of this story? You can never, ever, ever be right.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #4132
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Sounds like the story had the added bonus of a second point. You can never, ever, ever get a straight answer.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #4133
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

But you figured that out before getting married anyway ... right?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #4134
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
is there a better feeling than the feeling you get after finishing a workout that you had zero motivation to do?

Yes there is. I'll give you a hint...it involves intercourse.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #4135
Izulde
Head Coach

I swear, I'm starting to turn into a wino. Polished off a bottle last night, started a new one at 8 am this morning.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #4136
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post

/tk

Oh damn. Didn't realize you were tall. I don't blame you for taking the isle seat at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
yeah, I always try to get a window seat, curl up against the wall, and try to tune everything and everyone else out.

I flew yeasterday and I knew the guy in the seat next to me was a talker, you know the type. The guy who sits down and immedeatly says "you going home or leaving home!?"

I ignored him, put on my headphones, and refused to make eye contact.

That's pretty much exactly what I do and then I am usually almost asleep by the time the plane takes off.

Oh man, unless she's hot, those people are very annoying.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #4137
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

About to leave for San Jose, in a middle seat. Ugh. At least I got a legroom section.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #4138
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm the one guy the talkers don't say anything to. It's funny, because the last few flights I've been on, the other two people in the row, who have in every case been complete strangers, chatted away with each other.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #4139
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'm the one guy the talkers don't say anything to. It's funny, because the last few flights I've been on, the other two people in the row, who have in every case been complete strangers, chatted away with each other.

What are "signs that you smell", Alex?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #4140
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I sit as tall as I can, put a scowl on my face, and mean mug every motherfucker coming down the aisle, so everybody on the entire plane knows not to talk to me.

I recently took the train, and was hoping for better traveling......while the seats were certainly more comfortable, I ended up hungover on a 5-hour train ride, facing backwards, with a forward facing douchebag about 2-feet away, staring me in the face the whole time.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #4141
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I sit as tall as I can, put a scowl on my face, and mean mug every motherfucker coming down the aisle, so everybody on the entire plane knows not to talk to me.

I recently took the train, and was hoping for better traveling......while the seats were certainly more comfortable, I ended up hungover on a 5-hour train ride, facing backwards, with a forward facing douchebag about 2-feet away, staring me in the face the whole time.

LOL. You should have challenged him to a duel. The first one to blink would be throw from the train and given reign over the losers assets.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #4142
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

So I got this screwdriver I bought specifically because it passes security. Its the right size and can be taken apart for inspection. It gets manually checked, but they always go through. It has 6 bits that sit inside it. This time they take the bits out and say I can only take the bitless screwdriver. Bits themselves need to stay behind.

So now I'm out of a perfectly good screwdriver so the world can be protected by phillips head bit hijackers. TSA can lick my taint.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #4143
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Google Chat is far to addicting.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #4144
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
So I got this screwdriver I bought specifically because it passes security. Its the right size and can be taken apart for inspection. It gets manually checked, but they always go through. It has 6 bits that sit inside it. This time they take the bits out and say I can only take the bitless screwdriver. Bits themselves need to stay behind.

So now I'm out of a perfectly good screwdriver so the world can be protected by phillips head bit hijackers. TSA can lick my taint.

I expect the 'Stupid TSA rules' thread to be resurrected soon with someone complaining about this.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #4145
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I just wanted to complain. Not actually discuss it.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #4146
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

That's ridiculous. If the screwdriver was like...TSA-certified then you should shove it up their asses.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #4147
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Yeah, I just wanted to complain. Not actually discuss it.
You'll discuss the TSA licking your taint when the TSA is ready for you to discuss licking your taint.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #4148
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

So doing some reseach. Screwdrivers are explicitly allowed while drill bits are not....? I could carry on 25 actual screwdrivers but not 6 bits?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #4149
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Let the taint licking begin!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #4150
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm a bit confused (no pun intended.)

Did they keep the bits or the screwdriver?

Or did they just want the bits, but you chose to leave the screwdriver as well because they can't tell you what to do dammit!