Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #4101
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Hearing through the grapevine (doubt you'll see news articles) that a large hog operation is about to euthanize 12,000 ready for market hogs because there is no processing capacity.

This feeds right into a theory I have: people are blaming wet markets in China for the spread. Now all the processing plants are being shut down in the USA. Could raw meat be a contributor? My brother in Iowa said nursing homes and processing plants make up most cases in Iowa.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #4102
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
This feeds right into a theory I have: people are blaming wet markets in China for the spread. Now all the processing plants are being shut down in the USA. Could raw meat be a contributor? My brother in Iowa said nursing homes and processing plants make up most cases in Iowa.

At first blush, I would say no. The packing plants are good areas for the virus to spread whether they are processing meat or something entirely different because the workers are all in close proximity.

On the other hand, I don't know much about this strain of the virus and its zoonotic transmission capabilities. Years back, I dealt with a corona virus (different strain) outbreak in my calves. The virus wiped out a good chunk of my calves one winter but there was never any concern for myself.

Last edited by lungs : 04-25-2020 at 01:03 PM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:07 PM   #4103
AlexB
Pro Starter

Although not Iowa, this article, if true, is an interesting insight into why some meat processing plants might be hotspots

Coronavirus at Smithfield pork plant: The untold story of America's biggest outbreak - BBC News
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:41 AM   #4104
Edward64
Head Coach

This is a little weird if accurate about very high % of asymptomatic in prisons. And if someone is asymptomatic, do they eventually "recover" in 2-3-4 weeks and no longer becomes asymptomatic?

Quote:
They started with the Marion Correctional Institution, which houses 2,500 prisoners in north central Ohio, many of them older with pre-existing health conditions. After testing 2,300 inmates for the coronavirus, they were shocked. Of the 2,028 who tested positive, close to 95% had no symptoms.

“It was very surprising,” said Chambers-Smith, who oversees the state’s 28 correctional facilities.

As mass coronavirus testing expands in prisons, large numbers of inmates are showing no symptoms. In four state prison systems — Arkansas, North Carolina, Ohio and Virginia — 96% of 3,277 inmates who tested positive for the coronavirus were asymptomatic, according to interviews with officials and records reviewed by Reuters. That’s out of 4,693 tests that included results on symptoms.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #4105
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
That's basically where I am.

Back to summer plans, I expect major fights with summer camps that want to open in June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I wonder how much refund policies and "have they already paid full price" will play into these decisions. We've paid $0 (day camp), $100 deposit (overnight camp) and full price (overnight camp) for three June camps. I could see some camps playing hardball if restrictions are lifted but large numbers don't want their kids to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Just got final word that the overnight camp for which we'd paid $100 is switched to a virtual camp. Total cost $80. (Was $450.) Why so much for just a camp t-shirt, bag, notebook, and devotional materials??? It's a camp for youth in our entire diocese, run by folks from our church, at a camp property in Virginia that we were renting for the week. Our staff made the decision not to bring together 400 youth in one place in mid-June, but the camp is refusing to return the deposit that our church paid them for the entire group, so we need to pass that cost along to campers so as not to lose a bunch of money that we can't afford. If their governor extends the shutdown there into June, we're hoping that they'll be forced to change that policy. But yeah, incredibly short-sighted hardball there, guys. We'll hold our camp somewhere else next year.

Least surprising news of my week, part one: the camp for which we'd paid full price in mid June has been cancelled.

Least surprising news of my week, part two: that this particular camp is issuing 100% refunds, including the non-refundable deposit.

The camp in question is WinShape, run by the foundation heavily funded from the Cathy family and CFA. They announced that they've cancelled all their day and overnight camps for the entire summer. It's a fairly big operation: overnight camps at seven locations, many of the locations having different experiences for kids ranging from completion of 1st-11th grades, all summer long, and day camps in dozens (hundreds?) of locations. The refunds they're doing will set an extremely high bar for other camps to meet.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #4106
miked
College Starter

My daughter usually does the Athens Y camp for a week, they still think they are moving forward and it's the first week in June (like June 7). Meanwhile, Camp Sunshine and Camp Braveheart (two big volunteer camps) are cancelled in mid-late June. I have not spent a summer in Atlanta in 5 years (I teach in Ireland over the summer usually) and am not looking forward to being home with no camps and potentially no pool.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #4107
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I finally found some toilet paper in the wild at my grocery store!
Old 04-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #4108
Butter
Coordinator

My Kroger was 100% fully stocked on paper products Saturday morning. First time I've seen that in 6 weeks. Luckily we don't need any, but it was good to see. First time I had gone shopping and didn't have to either visit a 2nd store for something, or just scratch something altogether.

Also, there were not people hustling in there and just grabbing paper stuff and checking out. That was a standard scene when we would go on our Sat. morning trips.

Last edited by Butter : 04-26-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #4109
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I finally found some toilet paper in the wild at my grocery store!

Civilization is saved!
Old 04-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #4110
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

No problem getting TP with our Wal-Mart pick-up order today.

Pork, though, was impossible.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #4111
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Pork, though, was impossible.

New number I saw from an e-mail some pork organization sent out was that at least 3 million hogs ready for market will be euthanized and not processed. 6 million is the higher estimate.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #4112
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The USDA is completely failing to support both the farmers and the people who need food. It's a big problem with a lot of challenges, but the federal government doesn't seem to be doing much of anything.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #4113
Ben E Lou

On the other hand, my daughters play spring soccer. No teams had played more than ONE game when COVID-19 closings hit. They haven't refunded a dime, and they are still saying "we're going to try to play the games." Really???

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-26-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #4114
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
New number I saw from an e-mail some pork organization sent out was that at least 3 million hogs ready for market will be euthanized and not processed. 6 million is the higher estimate.
If you know a local farmer and have a local butcher, there's deals to be had. I was offered a whole hog last week at an absolute steal of a price. Between, that and the beef bundle I got a few weeks ago, I'm stocked on meat for the foreseeable future.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:55 PM   #4115
rjolley
College Starter

We were able to get toilet paper delivered from Walmart, but cannot find Clorox wipes, rubbing alcohol, or liquid soap.

Is it possible for the various makers of the products we're having shortages of to ramp up production? Or have they and they're still unable to meet demand? I'm surprised we're still in the position of having to hunt for some goods at this point. It's not like the inventory won't be sold.

One thing that I found interesting that was hard to find? Hair clippers. I decided a couple of weeks ago to cut the boys' hair until we can get in to a barber and couldn't find anyplace with clippers. I was finally able to get on a waitlist for an order that's supposed to arrive in 1 -2 weeks. Guess everyone had the same idea a week or two before I did....
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #4116
molson
General Manager

It took me a few weeks to get chippers shipped a few weeks ago.

Also. I look awful.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #4117
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I somehow got a same day delivery from Costco through Instacart yesterday. Put the order through and selected fast and flexible which gives a 2 day window and you can't change your order. It was shopped and delivered in 3 hours. I was amazed. Even got TP. Was able to order paper towels today from Costco.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:35 PM   #4118
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
IAlso. I look awful.

What do the clippers have to do with that?

And yea I'm a mess too; close to a homeless look, but hopefully not the smell.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #4119
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm like a week overdue on laundry. There's nobody else here to kick me in the ass for being a hobo.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:46 PM   #4120
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
We were able to get toilet paper delivered from Walmart, but cannot find Clorox wipes, rubbing alcohol, or liquid soap.

Is it possible for the various makers of the products we're having shortages of to ramp up production? Or have they and they're still unable to meet demand? I'm surprised we're still in the position of having to hunt for some goods at this point. It's not like the inventory won't be sold.

One thing that I found interesting that was hard to find? Hair clippers. I decided a couple of weeks ago to cut the boys' hair until we can get in to a barber and couldn't find anyplace with clippers. I was finally able to get on a waitlist for an order that's supposed to arrive in 1 -2 weeks. Guess everyone had the same idea a week or two before I did....

The explanation I saw for toilet paper is that the overall use of it throughout the country is very predictable and factories run nearly 24/7 producing just enough for use with no stockpiles sitting in warehouses. This means any spike in demand is going to be felt immediately and take some time to calm down since we really don't have the means to just amp up production (already running 24/7). I'm assuming this applies to most of the cleaning products and other items that have experienced shortages.

One interesting thing I saw was the PX at Fort Lewis was selling Charmin in 2 roll packs that I've honestly never seen. The PX had the same 2 package limit on them as other TP, cleaning products, and medicines. It seemed to be Charmin's way of helping with hoarding.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #4121
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I'm like a week overdue on laundry. There's nobody else here to kick me in the ass for being a hobo.

This honestly would seem to be apropos, given what I know about you.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #4122
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley

My best guess is it isn't so much a supply issue for most things, but rather a throughput issue. I don't know how much impact this is having, but there was a bad nationwide shortage of truckers for years before this. Wages were going through the roof and people still couldn't find enough qualified applicants no matter how high they raised them (I've heard numbers like double-triple what the pay was less than 10 years ago).

Then there's the sheer physical space at the stores. Whether you're talking the bulk storage/warehouse side or out on the shelves for customers, all of these buildings are designed for a certain amount of volume. You can't just buy an infinite amount of the high-demand stuff - every thing you store means not storing something else. And of course the demand levels are constantly fluctuating.

What they're trying to do now is cram far more in than they were designed for, but there's only so much you can do with that. I've seen tactics like just throwing out pallets of potatoes instead of putting them on shelves for a while at the start of this, but for many things they have to go on a shelf and there's only so much of them. Some items have been minimized, at least in some places, so there's more space for toilet paper, flour, etc. But to have enough room to make up for the demand, you'd need to do a lot more of that and/or flat-out get rid of some other items entirely that currently use that space. That doesn't solve a shortage, it simply changes what you're short of. I really think a big part of it, though the situation has improved from what I've seen, is that there simply isn't enough space for all the products people are buying.

In the long run, by which I mean several years or more, the economy would adjust. Stores would remodel/expand, new locations would go up, new factories built in the supply chain, etc. Doesn't surprise me though that we can't quite get there in the short term.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-26-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:03 PM   #4123
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
This honestly would seem to be apropos, given what I know about you.

Bravo.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #4124
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
My best guess is it isn't so much a supply issue for most things, but rather a throughput issue. I don't know how much impact this is having, but there was a bad nationwide shortage of truckers for years before this. Wages were going through the roof and people still couldn't find enough qualified applicants no matter how high they raised them (I've heard numbers like double-triple what the pay was less than 10 years ago).

It's funny you mention that as I was reading a well-written answer on Quora (which obviously isn't the be-all and end-all of knowledge, but the better answers usually rise to the top) which was addressing this exact topic, even though the wages look good for truckers on paper, margins have been shrunk, small owner operators have been replaced with large corporations who only care about the cents on bottom line and the job has got shittier and shittier year on year to the point where they haven't been able to replace all the experienced truckers who have left with enough competent new candidates. Plus I guess if the job has a bad enough reputation it doesn't matter how much you really are paying (unless it's genuinely life changing money).

Way off topic, and I wonder if we have any folks on the board who are or have been in that line of work, but it was interesting reading that and then seeing your response.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #4125
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
It's funny you mention that as I was reading a well-written answer on Quora (which obviously isn't the be-all and end-all of knowledge, but the better answers usually rise to the top) which was addressing this exact topic, even though the wages look good for truckers on paper, margins have been shrunk, small owner operators have been replaced with large corporations who only care about the cents on bottom line and the job has got shittier and shittier year on year to the point where they haven't been able to replace all the experienced truckers who have left with enough competent new candidates. Plus I guess if the job has a bad enough reputation it doesn't matter how much you really are paying (unless it's genuinely life changing money).

Way off topic, and I wonder if we have any folks on the board who are or have been in that line of work, but it was interesting reading that and then seeing your response.

We had one several years ago. Name began with a C i believe but don't recall it
Old 04-26-2020, 08:05 PM   #4126
Ben E Lou

Heh. Clippers. I first shaved my head in June 1994 and have done it myself since. As a result, I've always owned at least one set. Check pharmacies. CVS and Walgreens typically carry them in-store. No idea if they're sold out now, though.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #4127
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Saw a really interesting story on a study from Italy that suggests high particulate pollution levels helps the virus stay in the air longer.

And I read a super cool story about using sewage to determine the percentage of people with antibodies within a given area.

Science is cool.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #4128
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
We had one several years ago. Name began with a C i believe but don't recall it

Cringer.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #4129
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Saw a really interesting story on a study from Italy that suggests high particulate pollution levels helps the virus stay in the air longer.

And I read a super cool story about using sewage to determine the percentage of people with antibodies within a given area.

Science is cool.

Any chance you have a link to the second? That sounds interesting.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:34 PM   #4130
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/07/...read-covid-19/

Here's one version. A number of cities around the globe have done this, apparently.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:04 PM   #4131
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I think the animals are being euthanized because there's no buyer processor. As far as the outbreaks at processing plants, I would guess more due to the fact workers are usually absolutely cramped on the line. Look at pictures of meat processing lines and you'll see what I mean. Being that they're essential I figured they would be a hot point for outbreaks.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:47 AM   #4132
kingfc22
Head Coach

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-...68?pfmredir=sm

Technology like this is going to be the only way to get people back out quicker with the ability to possibly contain a small breakout from spreading like wildfire.

Of course, we can’t even convince people to take vaccines seriously without a conspiracy theory so this will never get off the ground in the US.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:03 AM   #4133
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Saw Campbell’s soup today in non condensed form. Can’t recall ever seeing that before. Was a smaller can and honestly a rip-off. Might have been something intended for a facility of some sort. Like a mini bar/vending machine type size.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:49 AM   #4134
Edward64
Head Coach

Worldometers reported 1,157 new US deaths. Going in the right direction from the recent 2,500's.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:56 AM   #4135
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That's good news if it sustains - I'm waiting to draw any conclusions until the usual post-weekend reporting increase. A one-day drop is quite possibly just a blip.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #4136
whomario
Pro Starter

Numbers in Austria still looking good 2 weeks after reopening retails stores and some other stuff (public parks for example). Getting cautiously (!) optimistic about summer doing us all a solid and 'drip-drip-drip' infections from short contacts not being a major driver compared to clusters in closed settings (which happen terrifyingly fast)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-27-2020 at 09:39 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #4137
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Kids are losing out on socialization and education because most of us are trying to do the right thing and socially distance.

Small businesses are closing because most of us are trying to do the right thing and socially distance.

Billions of dollars in productivity are being lost because most of us are trying to do the right thing and socially distance.

We are making enormous sacrifices trying to do the right thing.

And it's probably all for naught because you know that Addison just has to fly to Miami for the weekend for Juniper's 25th birthday party.

(But don't worry, she'll try to remember to wash her hands).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #4138
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's a terrifying picture, tbh. I wouldn't even think of flying right now - being in an enclosed space with circulating air... and that full to boot, yikes!
Old 04-27-2020, 10:57 AM   #4139
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
That's a terrifying picture, tbh. I wouldn't even think of flying right now - being in an enclosed space with circulating air... and that full to boot, yikes!

The whole 'recirculating air' bit is one of the biggest misconceptions about flying there is.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #4140
BishopMVP
Coordinator

How much are masks going to help when you're on a packed plane for 4 hours?

Btw, the prison numbers are shocking if true. 90% spread & 95% of people are asymptomatic? If both those numbers are true, it's not tests producing false positives, and there aren't a lot of hospitalizations/deaths then maybe the super high estimates of % who have already had it are closer to being right than I thought they could be. Saw Boston is doing a random 1000 person test for antibodies in 3 (lower income, harder hit) neighborhoods and should have results within a week, I'll be interested to see what those numbers say.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #4141
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The whole 'recirculating air' bit is one of the biggest misconceptions about flying there is.

What makes you an expert?
Old 04-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #4142
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Masks will shorten the distance that your bodily fluids are traveling (esp if you cough), reducing the possible area of transmission from 6ft to like 1ft or so. So it may have some impact.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #4143
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I will say the ReOpen people are doing a bang up job discrediting that point of view. https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...242317346.html
Quote:
“As an asymptomatic COVID19 positive patient (quarantine ends 4/26),” Whitlock posted on Sunday, “another concern I have is the treatment of COVID patients as it relates to other communicable diseases. I have been forced to quarantine in my home for 2 weeks.”

Attempts to reach Whitlock for comment Sunday and Monday were unsuccessful. The News & Observer’s news partner, ABC-11, reported Whitlock confirmed she tested positive but refused comment when asked whether she attended ReOpen NC’s protests in downtown Raleigh the last two Tuesdays.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:06 PM   #4144
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Btw, the prison numbers are shocking if true. 90% spread & 95% of people are asymptomatic? If both those numbers are true, it's not tests producing false positives, and there aren't a lot of hospitalizations/deaths then maybe the super high estimates of % who have already had it are closer to being right than I thought they could be. Saw Boston is doing a random 1000 person test for antibodies in 3 (lower income, harder hit) neighborhoods and should have results within a week, I'll be interested to see what those numbers say.
I think prison cases should be monitored closely to give us a good idea on the length of immunity. They'll inevitably be reexposed .
Old 04-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #4145
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Worldometers reported 1,157 new US deaths. Going in the right direction from the recent 2,500's.
As a rule Sunday and weekend numbers have been a little unreliable throughout this thing. Let's see what tomorrow's say.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #4146
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There's some controversy regarding false positives in the serology tests, but Cuomo said based on 7500 statewide tests roughly 25% of the population of NYC shows antibodies for Covid-19.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:57 PM   #4147
spleen1015
Coordinator

Some of you guys were awesome when news hit of my grandmother. Thought I would share an update.

She is COVID free at this point. She had a rough 3-4 days in the middle were her symptoms were the worst, but she never got to the point where she had trouble breathing. She never had to be admitted into the hospital.

I am shocked. As soon as I heard she had it I thought it was going to kill her. She's 83 and battled the flu for about 2 months in December & January. She was just getting back to normal when this hit.

Thanks for all of the well wishes guys.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:07 PM   #4148
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Great news!!
Old 04-27-2020, 04:10 PM   #4149
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That is super indeed.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #4150
Kodos