Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-24-2010, 04:01 AM   #4051
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Labor Pains - 5/10
Romantic comedy with Lindsay Lohan. It revolves around a big lie that inevitably comes out. In true fashion with the genre, what happens after that is too good to be true.

Fake Identity - 6.5/10
Val Kilmer in a spy movie with an unusual twist. Can't write much without spoiling the plot. I thought it was ok and different, 7 out of 10 may be a bit generous, but I felt it was a little bit better than 6 out of 10.

From Paris with Love - 7/10
Despite the title, this isn't a James Bond spoof. Majority of the movie I enjoyed it. There are Several WTF? moment, with a bit of a cheesy ending. IMDB doesn't list it as a comedy, but John Travolta's character alone gave me more laughs than the Lohan movie mentioned above.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #4052
Bad-example
College Starter

Drag Me To Hell - 6.5/10

Is it a horror film or a comedy? I would say it was a horror film with comic elements that detract from the scariness. It's almost like Raimi couldn't decide whether he wanted to scare us or make us laugh. So he did both, and neither particularly well. I did like the special effects.

Spoiler
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:43 PM   #4053
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Prince of Persia - 2/10

I'll sum it up in 1 word - annoying. I guess the princess rubbed me the wrong way. Her yacking was like listening to someone scratch a chalkboard. You definitely have to suspend disbelief, there were scenes where I thought I was watching the last Indiana Jones all over again.

But the part that really, REALLY got to me was

Spoiler

yeah like... I totally didn't see that coming

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 05-25-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #4054
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I figured PoP would suck. It just looks utterly stupid.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:14 AM   #4055
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Drag Me To Hell - 6.5/10

Is it a horror film or a comedy? I would say it was a horror film with comic elements that detract from the scariness. It's almost like Raimi couldn't decide whether he wanted to scare us or make us laugh. So he did both, and neither particularly well. I did like the special effects.

Spoiler

I wouldn't go higher then a 4/10 on this movie.

Spoiler

Last edited by sabotai : 05-26-2010 at 12:14 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #4056
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I figured PoP would suck. It just looks utterly stupid.

I had never heard of it, to be honest. My friend asked if I wanted to see a free movie and I said yes, so I went in w/ no expectations. After I wrote the review above I checked Rotten Tomatoes and was shocked at the 60% rating. I thought for sure ppl would think it sucked. Different strokes, I guess.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #4057
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Tokyo Gore Police - 8.5/10

Umm... wow. This movie is seriously one of the craziest, most insane movies I've ever seen. People's limbs, heads getting sliced off and blood spraying out were just the tip of the iceberg. One of the scenes had a woman shooting green acid from her nipples and burning people's faces off... that's just one of many fantastically freakish scenes in the movie. Ant couldn't even hack some of the scenes, I had to hold his hand... lol.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 05-29-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #4058
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post

The Machine Girl and Robo-Geisha are from the same dude and much along the same lines, if you like that sorta stuff (and really, who doesn't)
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #4059
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

just saw trailers.. yeah, i'm down.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #4060
tarcone
Coordinator

Barbarosa-- 9/10

What a great western. Stars Willie Nelson and Gary Bussey. Both roles are played great. And the story is an outstanding story. Im glad I found this on EXTR.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #4061
Swaggs
Coordinator

Wow... a movie with Gary Busey and Willie Nelson? That director probably deserves an award, regardless of the outcome of the movie.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #4062
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The Hangover - 7/10

Finally got around to seeing this, I thought it was OK. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I don't see why this was getting 10/10's last year. Some funny moments, some unfunny moments.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #4063
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Prince of Persia - 2/10

I'll sum it up in 1 word - annoying. I guess the princess rubbed me the wrong way. Her yacking was like listening to someone scratch a chalkboard. You definitely have to suspend disbelief, there were scenes where I thought I was watching the last Indiana Jones all over again.

But the part that really, REALLY got to me was

Spoiler

yeah like... I totally didn't see that coming

I went to see this with my wife and both of us agreed that we liked it ok. I think going into it both of us assumed it would be awful based on what friends had told us. So we both ended up enjoying it more than we had expected.

For me I'd probably give it something like a 5/10 or so, it was at least somewhat entertaining for me at times and it meant I didn't have to go watch Sex in the City 2 when we were deciding which movie to go see.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:11 PM   #4064
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I finally saw Avatar today. I didn't like it and I'm glad I didn't rush to see it earlier. I guess it was visually all right, but I didn't really enjoy the storyline and it left me with more questions than answers. James Cameron should leave the sci-fi to the pros.
I have $5.00 in my pocket that says you didn't see the movie in 3D!

Let me guess; you rented it at REdbox for $1.00, watched it at home on your 32" inch television with its 2 speakers and your wondering what all the fuss is about?

In about a years time Avatar is going to be released in HD 3D; in 6 months they will be releasing another 2D version with an extras disc. I would hold off any conclusions of the movie, until you can see it the way Cameron filmed it in 3D.

I didn't like the storyline, but the movie experience itself was definitely worth the ticket price to see it in 3D on the big screen.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #4065
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post

Let me guess; you rented it at REdbox for $1.00, watched it at home on your 32" inch television with its 2 speakers and your wondering what all the fuss is about?

In about a years time Avatar is going to be released in HD 3D; in 6 months they will be releasing another 2D version with an extras disc. I would hold off any conclusions of the movie, until you can see it the way Cameron filmed it in 3D.

I didn't like the storyline, but the movie experience itself was definitely worth the ticket price to see it in 3D on the big screen.

I dunno, even seeing the movie in 3D, I thought it was overwrought crap and frankly wanted my money back. The visuals, while pretty, didn't make up for the insipid plot and horrid acting. 3D really isn't all that. Flat out.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #4066
molson
General Manager

I saw Avatar twice in the theaters just because I knew there was no way I'd ever watch it at home.

The two experiences were completely different, I think everybody saw a different movie depending on their theater. I saw it in 3-D at a Las Vegas I-Max and was blown away. I saw it again in 3-D at a Boise "I-Max" - and it was just completely off. The action scenes were blurry and hard to follow, and it just seemed like a bloated movie with a gimmick that didn't quite work.

Last edited by molson : 05-31-2010 at 01:39 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #4067
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post

What does 3D have to do with it. He said he didn't like the storyline. 3D ain't gonna fix what he didn't like.

I'm glad people like the visual's and all that. There's a certain population that needs more...
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 05-31-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #4068
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
What does 3D have to do with it. He said he didn't like the storyline. 3D ain't gonna fix what he didn't like.

I'm glad people like the visual's and all that. There's a certain population that needs more...

And there is a much larger "certain population" that strongly prefer a strong story, but can appreciate some of the best immersive visuals put on screen.

It is the difference between touring a beautiful mountain side from inside a bus(non 3D) with a bad tour guide or on foot/bike(3D) with a bad tour guide.

If one didn't see the movie in 3D one didn't see it at it's best, doesn't mean everyone will enjoy it in 3D, but it makes a difference.

Last edited by Tigercat : 05-31-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #4069
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

a movie could have the best visual/special effects out there but if there's no story, it fails, imo.

Moon - 8/10

An astronaut, looking forward to returning home to his wife and child, completes a 3 year contract with his employer after mining for Earth's greatest resource. He starts getting really sick and crashes. He wakes up in the infirmary not remembering how he got there.

Really liked it. It's on netflix watch instantly.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 05-31-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:31 PM   #4070
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Oh yeah, definately. I had the exact same thought.

Check out another Cate Blanchett movie ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE, and compare that final scene (not actually a battle scene but a view of the burning hulks of the Spanish Armada) to this scene in ROBIN HOOD. My wife swears they shot it in the same location, and I tend to agree.

The whole Magna Carta being written by Robin Longstride's father had me chuckling in disbelief.

I also could not help thinking the writers play CIV IV. Lots of medieval technology as expected, but then the French arrive in landing crafts! That Frog King must have bee-lined his research for STEEL. And every village had a Celtic monument in the middle. I could only think 'two culture points per turn' whenever they showed it. And the coins from pillaging funding King John's army.

It is enjoyable, simply not Robin Hood. Or even Dennis Moore.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW

Last edited by OldGiants : 05-31-2010 at 04:34 PM.
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:10 AM   #4071
SegRat
High School Varsity

Just watched Brothers with Toby Maguire and Natalie Portman. 9/10. The story is heart breaking, and is one of those movies that really makes you relize how good you have it in life. I havent had a movie grab my attention the way this one did in a long time.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #4072
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This Film is Not Yet Rated--6.5/10

A documentary look inside the MPAA rating system and how it is really a bunch of big studio insiders controlling culture and not an honest attempt at assisting parents choose viewing options for their children.

I learned a fair amount, and anyone interested in the business of movies--or the relationship between media conglomerates and culture more generally--should see it.

I didn't give it a higher mark b/c I like my documentaries to have a story driving them. This was almost more of a news report than a story. There was no need for a narrative, really. It was just some really interesting information that the director wanted to bring to peoples' attention.

He did attempt to infuse a narrative into the documentary, but it seemed a bit tacked on.

Basically, I think that he did a really good job making a movie about an important subject. I just also felt at the end more like I had watched a really good piece of investigative journalism than a really good movie.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #4073
DataKing
Pro Rookie

The Man with the Screaming Brain (7/10): Classic Bruce Campbell B-movie fare. If you like Bruce, check it out. If you don't...don't bother.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #4074
miked
College Starter

Man, I saw the Hurt Locker this weekend. It was pretty good, despite being fairly depressing. I could definitely see it's Oscar-ness.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #4075
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Secrets In Their Eyes--10/10

If you like movies, then you will almost certainly like this movie.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #4076
rowech
Pro Starter

The Blindside (7/10) -- I just have a hard time knowing the subject of the movie doesn't feel it portrays things well. It's a good movie...probably worth watching but the whole time you're watching, you'll be thinking, really?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #4077
Logan
Head Coach

Get Him to the Greek (7/10)

I'll first say that I'm a huge fan of Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It was a movie I enjoyed when I first saw it but later became legendary among my friends after many, many group viewings where we realized the greatness of so many underrated lines. That being said, I knew this wouldn't be the same type of movie based on the trailer (more of the over the top funny, less of the subtle humor and good storyline) and it pretty much delivered with that. Some really monster laugh out loud moments/lines/scenes but plenty of stupid mixed in. The movie got a little too serious at some points in the last half hour or so, but definitely worth a shot if you're a fan of Brand's character.

Oh and P. Diddy was hilarious in this...seriously.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #4078
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Get Him to the Greek (8/10)

Funny movie, I thought it was better than Sarah Marshall, but it isn't quite up in the pantheon level. B+/A- level comedy. Jonah Hill was good, Russell Brand was great, and P. Diddy was phenomenal.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #4079
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Evil Dead 2 - 8.5/10

Hahaha, what an awesome movie. The hand part had me rolling, especially

Spoiler

A bunch of lol scenes. Lots of blood like the first one; looking forward to Army of Darkness.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #4080
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Sherlock Holmes 8/10

A solid take on the character. A good blend of detective type stuff and action. RDJ and Jude Law are great as Holmes and Watson, respectively. McAdams was passable in her role, but hot. I tend to like Guy Ritchie's style and it definitely worked here. It really made me think just how good a properly executed "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" could have been.

(500) Days of Summer 8/10

Another solid flick. A huge step up from your traditional rom-com type fair. Funny, well acted, solid direction. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Ghost World 6/10

I caught this on free cable last night. I had always wanted to see it, but had never gotten around to it. I liked it's quirk and dialogue, but by the end I was kind of tired of it and ended up being really annoyed at the main character. The movie definitely fizzled out, but kept my interest for a while. It was weird, and nice, to see Steve Buscemi play a bit of a nice guy. Sure, he was a bit misanthropic and weird, but in a sweet and tender way.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #4081
rowech
Pro Starter

Double Indemnity (7/10) -- You can see why it was thought of so highly at the time. (1944) Now, it's been done 1000 times. Really a dark movie in terms of mood as well as lighting. I wanted to see this because I've seen it mentioned on many best of all time lists and it's slipped past me for all this time.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #4082
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Sherlock Holmes - 8.5/10

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #4083
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
A bunch of lol scenes. Lots of blood like the first one; looking forward to Army of Darkness.

I think you'll love it. One of my favourite movies.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #4084
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Young @ Heart - 9/10

Follows a choir/performance group that has an average age of 80. The documentary is filmed as they rehearse for a performance. This film is about more then the music though. It is a uplifting, heartbreaking ride that that had me laughing one minute and crying the next.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #4085
Kodos
Resident Alien

Dead Snow - 7/10. A movie featuring Nazi zombies and lots of gore. Pretty decent, if you like zombie movies.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #4086
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The A-Team

Two ratings for this one:

As a product of artistic movie-craft: 7/10-- Your usual action fare; some plotholes and tons of suspension of belief required (I mean, TONS). Better than usual acting performances (helped by Liam Neeson being in it) for this sorta thing, but not all that much better. Mostly stereotypical stuff in this one.

As a remake of A-Team and as popcorn entertainment: 10/10-- Seriously, ton of fun to see. Lots of action (even for an action move), some good laughs, an okay-interesting (if derivative) plot to follow and, for me at least, I thought the main A-Team actors all nailed their roles. Well, I'll say Jackson was a reasonable facsimile of BA; let's face it, hard to get that role right with about being Mr. T. But everyone else was spot on.

Plus, Jessica Biel is super hot.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:04 AM   #4087
korme
Go Reds

Get Him to the Greek - Pretty funny, I'd say worth the price of admission. Some laugh out loud moments for sure. Most disappointing part was my viewing audience, NO ONE seemed to catch or understand the 2 or 3 Forgetting Sarah Marshall references. 8/10

Broken Flowers (2005) - Bill Murray is a mid 50's bachelor who receives an anonymous letter informing him that he has a 19 year old son. So he seeks out his former lovers trying to piece together as much as he can about this newfound situation. It was ok. Some worthy parts for sure, a little too much of camera time just showing Bill do absolutely nothing. 6/10

Paris, Je T'aime (2006) - 18 five-minute shorts shot in Paris, all in French and subtitled. With each "short" being only 5 minutes, it was impossible to get bored. Loved every second of it. 9/10

Up (2009) - Touching, actually, with a few very good parts. Didn't love it, didn't meet my expectations, still a good animated movie to see. 7/10

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men (2009) - John Krasinski's directioral debut. Love him as an actor. The direction wasn't as awful so much as the story was boring, and uninspiring. Flat all the way through. 3/10

The King of Kong (2007) - Documentary on a guy trying to break a 20 year unbeaten King Kong hi-score. It was actually very entertaining for 79 minutes. I love a good doc. 8/10

New York, I Love You (2008) - Same concept as Paris..., with many many more recognizable actors and more great shorts, this time filmed in NYC. Gotta say, I also thoroughly enjoyed it. 9/10

Harold and Maude (1971) - Funny that I recognize Bud Cort as the weird looking old man he is, now, and seeing him as a child really dates the movie. Some actually very funny parts, I loved him always fake killing himself. Dry humor FTW, but got to admit near the end I was fading and kinda waiting for it to be over. Liked the first half much better, 6/10.

Spread (2009) - Ashton Kutcher is a guy that believes he can manipulate women for a good living strictly based off of his good looks. He finds out it's not all fairy tales. Props to Anne Heche for getting nude a lot and looking amazing, much to my surprise+delight. I actually hated much of this movie, however, just hated the way Kutcher narrated and some of the things that were done. Still, it's watchable for some obvious reasons 4/10

Risky Business (1983) - I loved Risky Business! I had never seen it from start to finish and it was so 80's it was great. Joe Pantoliano sighting. 8/10

Paper Heart (2009) - Charlyne Yi documentary (of Knocked Up) about love, and how she doesn't believe true love necessarily exists. That was what the entire documentary was to be about, her interviewing people and them telling their stories of love. However, in a cool twist to everyone making the movie's surprise, she meets Michael Cera and they start dating, so the documentary follows their relationship. Cera HATED the cameras constantly being on them, it's actually funny seeing him getting annoyed with it all. Pretty entertaining. 7/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #4088
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

Harold and Maude (1971) - Funny that I recognize Bud Cort as the weird looking old man he is, now, and seeing him as a child really dates the movie. Some actually very funny parts, I loved him always fake killing himself. Dry humor FTW, but got to admit near the end I was fading and kinda waiting for it to be over. Liked the first half much better, 6/10.

Yup, my feelings exactly.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #4089
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Toy Story 3- 10/10
They got this one exactly right. You should probably go see it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:15 AM   #4090
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
The A-Team

Two ratings for this one:

As a product of artistic movie-craft: 7/10-- Your usual action fare; some plotholes and tons of suspension of belief required (I mean, TONS). Better than usual acting performances (helped by Liam Neeson being in it) for this sorta thing, but not all that much better. Mostly stereotypical stuff in this one.

As a remake of A-Team and as popcorn entertainment: 10/10-- Seriously, ton of fun to see. Lots of action (even for an action move), some good laughs, an okay-interesting (if derivative) plot to follow and, for me at least, I thought the main A-Team actors all nailed their roles. Well, I'll say Jackson was a reasonable facsimile of BA; let's face it, hard to get that role right with about being Mr. T. But everyone else was spot on.

Plus, Jessica Biel is super hot.

Yeah, what he said.

Seriously, as far as action movies go, this one was ridiculous in the best way possible.

Solid 9/10 for me.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #4091
tarcone
Coordinator

Karate Kid-- 8/10

I gave it an 8 because it was really fun to watch. There were holes in the script. But thats okay. It was just a good movie to watch.
Smith and Chan were played well together. I enjoyed both of them.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #4092
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I also loved A-Team and would give it at least an 8/10 for fun factor and just enjoyability.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #4093
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Toy Story 3: 10/10

Perfect.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #4094
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Pandorum: 8/10

This movie got pretty horrid reviews but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

A-Team: 7/10

Very fun watch. I saw it at an AMC Fork and Film in Atlanta. Never even knew something like that existed.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #4095
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Jonah Hex (5 / 10): Some halfway-decent action sequences and a few good one-liners here, but otherwise this was a very forgettable piece. I was rather disappointed in Josh Brolin (I thought he was fantastic in No Country for Old Men), but I don't think he really had much to work with here. And Megan Fox continues to show a knack for choosing roles in which she serves no purpose to the plot whatsoever. The same as in the Transformer movies, if you remove her from the film the story remains exactly the same. Her purpose in any movie is obviously just to get the dollars from the male 13-18 year old bracket, nothing more.

Donnie Darko: Director's Cut (9 / 10): I've never seen the theatrical release, so some that have may disagree with me on this one, but I really enjoyed it. I love movies that are different, and this is quite a bit different than anything else that came along before it (that I am familiar with at least). Very quirky, but with a fantastic cast. Mary McDonnell was absolutely brilliant. The effect this one had on the Butterfly Effect is pretty obvious.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 06-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #4096
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

It's Complicated - 7.5/10

It was 'GF picks the movie' night, which I normally shudder thinking about, but this one was a pleasant surprise. I always like Alec Baldwin, and it seemed his 30 Rock character is somewhat of a basis for his character in this (which isn't a bad thing IMO). Meryl Streep is solid, and John Krasinski has some great lines. I was happy with it.

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 06-21-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #4097
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Let The Right One In (7 / 10): I added this one to my Netflix queue based on the recommendations I found in this thread, and I'm glad I did. This was a very different take on the vampire movie, though I think calling it the best vampire movie ever made is a bit of a stretch. It was a bit quirky, and there was one bit in particular that I found quite objectionable (those who have seen the movie probably know to what I am referring), but I'm going to chalk all of that up to the movie being foreign. The acting was good and I quite enjoyed the plotline, and some of the imagery was very well done. Blood can be beautiful indeed.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 06-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #4098
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
It's Complicated - 7.5/10

It was 'GF picks the movie' night, which I normally shudder thinking about, but this one was a pleasant surprise. I always like Alec Baldwin, and it seemed his 30 Rock character is somewhat of a basis for his character in this (which isn't a bad thing IMO). Meryl Streep is solid, and John Krasinski has some great lines. I was happy with it.

I enjoyed it's complicated
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #4099
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Army of Darkness - 8/10

The battle scene was epic.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 06-25-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #4100
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Sherlock Holmes (8 / 10): I was looking forward to seeing Guy Ritchie's take on the Holmes character, and was not disappointed. The relationship between Holmes and Watson was very well done, and I felt the movie did a really good job of mixing the action we expect to see in a modern movie with character's deductive reasoning. Well done.
Allegiances:
Awards: