Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #4001
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I just started making cold brew. I think it might be way too strong, cause after a glass I wanna build bridges
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:51 PM   #4002
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can states block flights back from Las Vegas and mandate anyone going there self quarantine? They can do what they want over there but the return spread across the nation might be really bad
Old 04-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #4003
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Can states block flights back from Las Vegas and mandate anyone going there self quarantine? They can do what they want over there but the return spread across the nation might be really bad

I belong to a facebook group with about 15K members about March Madness.

someone thew out the question if you could go today would you, at least half the people are saying yes. We are so screwed as a nation.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:56 PM   #4004
henry296
College Starter

Quote:

Hawaii did that. They are requiring a 14 day quarantine from all inbound flights.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #4005
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think travelling interstate fall under the scope of the federal government.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:58 PM   #4006
Ironhead
College Prospect

I have been trying to avoid closely following a lot of the day-to-day coverage of this for my general mental well being. However, I also need to generally stay informed for my job so I have been catching up on where things stand right now.

One thing I haven't seen - does anyone have a relatively recent source for estimates of the % of the adult population in the U.S. that is likely to get this? The stuff I am finding on this is closer to early March.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:11 PM   #4007
Atocep
Coordinator

I stopped by our local grocery store for the first time in a couple of weeks. My first stop since Safeway introduced the single direction aisles.

I actually saw TP in the wild for the first time in about a month. Most shelves were well stocked except for pasta and garlic bread, oddly enough. Fairly busy for 10:30am considering the situation and all but 3-4 people were actually following the guidance of the arrows. Interestingly, those not following the arrows were all wearing masks.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #4008
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

NC Governor will be announcing reopening plans soon.

So far, he's been letting science and common sense guide things. Some things are closed, but a lot of stuff is open. I hope he continues to let science guide him as we transition.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #4009
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lemme guess they were of a certain age demographic as well?
Old 04-22-2020, 05:52 PM   #4010
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Another Tuesday spike, probably due to the weekend reporting issues as before, but if we're past the peak in terms of deaths it isn't by much yet.

Based on the recent daily death toll numbers and today again I do not see the numbers subsiding or based on weekend catch up nor as a substantial flattening of the curve despite the Fox news and WH briefing talking points. Unfortunately, I trust very little in those briefings anymore as they appear to be just trying to conceptualize the data to give the impression of things improving across the country.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #4011
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Trump calling out Kemp for opening too fast. That may give pause to other governors who want to curry favor with the President.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #4012
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Trump calling out Kemp for opening too fast. That may give pause to other governors who want to curry favor with the President.

Yup, Fauci is talking now with Trump to the side. It seems he is listening to Fauci.

Hopefully GA will slow down now since Kemp doesn't have Trump for cover.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #4013
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Lemme guess they were of a certain age demographic as well?

All were older than me and I'll leave it at that.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:07 PM   #4014
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

All he wanted to do is impress Daddy and Daddy put out cigarette on his hand.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #4015
Edward64
Head Coach

Lemme guess they were (black/brown/yellow) as well?

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-22-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #4016
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't understand what really happened. In the first paragraph, Harvard agrees to return $8.6M.

In the second paragraph, it says Harvard did not "receive" the funds. Probably some semantics but seem contradictory.

Other big name schools are saying they won't take the money but apparently Cornell will and says it'll go 100% to students. I suspect they will cave in soon also.

Harvard finally agrees to return coronavirus relief millions
Quote:
After mounting pressure from President Trump and many others, heavily endowed Harvard University finally caved on Wednesday and said it would return the $8.6 million in coronavirus relief it received from the federal government.

“Harvard will not accept funds from the CARES Act Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund. Like most colleges & universities, Harvard has been allocated funds as part of the CARES Act. Harvard did not apply for this support, nor has it requested, received or accessed the funds,” the school tweeted.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #4017
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Having worked on our church's loan a bit, there's a delay of a few days between loan approval and getting the funds in the bank account.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:50 PM   #4018
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Vendors (including shopping services) are now going to start being required to wear face coverings at a lot of retailers (Walmart, Meijer, Sam's Club at least that I know for sure). That should increase the number of people doing that in some areas like my own where people aren't feeling particularly motivated to do that. Quite a few employees that still aren't here, but apparently that will be changing.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:15 PM   #4019
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
One thing I haven't seen - does anyone have a relatively recent source for estimates of the % of the adult population in the U.S. that is likely to get this? The stuff I am finding on this is closer to early March.

Depends on the timeframe. If there were no vaccine, eventually almost everybody since everybody is succeptible.
Not everybody will actually be noticeably sick of course, but everybody would catch the virus.
Maybe even more than once as immunity is currently not thought to be all that long.

Within this year or before a vaccine (some guess start of 21, but that is the best case) ? Depends on counter measures taken and how many heavily sick and dying at a time is deemed acceptable.

The point where it would noticeably slow down on it's own without many measures is estimated at about 70% (the famous point of "herd immunity"). But that is likely not happening before a vaccine, at least not without a repeat of New York, only across the country. It will be a delicate balancing act all year, unfortunately ...

Current models/studies from France suggest that about 12% within their 2 hardest hit regions (Paris and Alsacce) will have had it by Mid May and 6% for the whole country. So basically 2 months of constant and profound strain on the healtcare system with utter insanity in retirement homes etc results in 6% immunity.

Study article
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-22-2020 at 07:23 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #4020
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

While I'm starting to get depressed as mentioned about the death count not declining, there was more good news (from my POV) about the consensus holding in another poll out today. 61% say steps taken are about right, among those who didn't think so, it was 2:1 not enough done over those who thought things had been taken too far (12% there).

In ordinary times I'd be surprised to get 61% of Americans to declare the sun is warm, so I'll definitely take it. 56% say it's unlikely conditions where they live will be safe enough to lift restrictions within a few weeks.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-22-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #4021
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Vendors (including shopping services) are now going to start being required to wear face coverings at a lot of retailers (Walmart, Meijer, Sam's Club at least that I know for sure). That should increase the number of people doing that in some areas like my own where people aren't feeling particularly motivated to do that. Quite a few employees that still aren't here, but apparently that will be changing.

So what interesting trends (if any) have you found doing the shopping?
Old 04-22-2020, 08:07 PM   #4022
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Good question actually. Around me we are running low on a few more things than I thought supply-wise; mostly stuff that I don't buy. Getting through an order without running into multiple things like that is something that used to happen, not a current reality. Good luck to you if you want pizza sauce or distilled water, or even lemon juice (???), though the more common staples except for flour and TP have largely recovered. Today for some random reason everyone wanted butter. Generic unsalted was the only kind to be found by early afternoon, but that hasn't been a trend so much as just a weird thing.

It's just kind of interesting exploring parts of the store that I never visit. Nobody bats an eye now when a middle-aged guy goes cavorting down the … let's call it the 'feminine products' aisle … and nobody cares that you look like an idiot in a hastily-assembled homemade mask (I'll have better within a few days). They get what you are trying to do - it's just interesting comparing to normal life pre-pandemic.

People have adjusted really well from what I can see to there being shortages, but also observed a lady in the butter area who appeared to be having a borderline panic attack at not being able to find her brand. Mostly though it's just accepted as the new normal from what I can see.

Also, lots of people apparently really like their Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, but supply of that kind of thing is holding up well. And clearly the human race has horrible taste in peanut better. Everyone wants crunchy, and disregards the ton of creamy still available on the shelf.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-22-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #4023
Edward64
Head Coach

Do you find it easier to find things early, mid, late in the day?

Have you asked/do the stores tell you when they restock?
Old 04-22-2020, 08:15 PM   #4024
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

On that it's pretty much always best right when they open, which is 8am industry standard now. All of them around me at least have a bunch of restocking that happens overnight, but they can't keep up during the day even when there is more that could be brought out. Just not enough people to restock when a lot of them are constantly helping customers find things, and even if they could how would they get through the crush of humanity to put it on the shelves? By noon in a lot of the grocery aisles there's traffic jams combined with people trying to distance meaning movement just stops for a while a lot of the time.

I'm doing this in a small city, approx. 12k population. The big cities have to be insane.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-22-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:18 PM   #4025
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

People are doing tons of baking at home, including pizzas. Distilled water is used in CPAP machines so people loading up.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:47 PM   #4026
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Lemme guess they were (black/brown/yellow) as well?

OK boomer
Old 04-22-2020, 10:38 PM   #4027
RainMaker
General Manager

First known death is now traced to early February in California. Someone who had no ties to China. Community spread was happening in mid to late January without any detection from our government. Travel ban from China was too late anyway.

Last edited by RainMaker : 04-22-2020 at 10:42 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:40 PM   #4028
RainMaker
General Manager

Crazy story. Azar lied to the President about the spread in late January. Seemed to be more concerned about appeasing the President than stopping spread. Should immediately resign.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:45 AM   #4029
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
OK boomer

Officially true but on the borderline of Gen X.

Just pointing out the underlying hypocrisy of some that decry racism but seem to tolerate ageism. One post does not make a pattern but see below.

See Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - Boomers vs Millennials
Old 04-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #4030
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
On that it's pretty much always best right when they open, which is 8am industry standard now. All of them around me at least have a bunch of restocking that happens overnight, but they can't keep up during the day even when there is more that could be brought out. Just not enough people to restock when a lot of them are constantly helping customers find things, and even if they could how would they get through the crush of humanity to put it on the shelves? By noon in a lot of the grocery aisles there's traffic jams combined with people trying to distance meaning movement just stops for a while a lot of the time.

I'm doing this in a small city, approx. 12k population. The big cities have to be insane.

Thank you. As I mentioned in another post, I live in suburbia, went to Kroger on Sat 8am, and was pretty successful and found flour & Kroger branded toilet paper (that looked decent, haven't tried).

So as a PSA to everyone ... go when stores first open.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:53 AM   #4031
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
First known death is now traced to early February in California. Someone who had no ties to China. Community spread was happening in mid to late January without any detection from our government. Travel ban from China was too late anyway.

Just a thought, it must suck to be known as "the" patient X. Don't know if the name is out there but wouldn't be surprised if it eventually leaked.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:03 AM   #4032
Edward64
Head Coach

Misc musings from my favorite guilty pleasure rag.

Not sure how to read this stat other than ventilators are probably treatment of the very, very last resort and odds are not good.

Nearly 90 per cent of COVID-19 patients placed on ventilators in NY's largest health system DIED | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Nearly 90 per cent of all coronavirus patients placed on ventilators in New York's largest health system died, according to a study.

The study, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association on Wednesday, examined the electronic health records of 5,700 patients hospitalised with COVID-19 at Northwell Health.

Final outcomes were known for 2,634 patients, and overall, roughly 20 per cent of COVID-19 patients died.

But of those placed on ventilators, 88 per cent died. For those over the age of 65, the mortality rate after being put on a ventilator rose to 97 per cent.

I can see how some would view the dancing as being disrespectful but I gotta say that these guys are on the front lines in a pandemic and must be under unbelievable stress ... so if they want to "play" around and let it out then go for it.

I like the Irish clogging (?) one in the middle.

NHS staff criticised for dancing | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
The families of cancer patients who have had their treatment and scans cancelled have criticised NHS staff for posting videos of dance routines in hospitals.

Groups of nurses from wards in London, Buckinghamshire, Leeds and Wolverhampton have created the videos using the TikTok app.

One woman whose brother was treating coronavirus patients in London and sister was performing surgery said she was 'seriously p***ed off' by the clips.

The videos were created by various NHS department to lift spirits at a time when morale in many hospitals is low due to increased death rates, a lack of PPE and heightened risk of catching coronavirus among staff.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-23-2020 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:29 AM   #4033
tarcone
Coordinator

Missouri governor to re-open all businesses May 4th. Not sure home many really closed, but whatever. At the same time St. Louis county announces their stay at home order has been extended indefinitely.

I live near the border of St. Louis county. Should be interesting around here.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #4034
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Missouri governor to re-open all businesses May 4th. Not sure home many really closed, but whatever. At the same time St. Louis county announces their stay at home order has been extended indefinitely.

May the 4th be with you.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #4035
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Thank you. As I mentioned in another post, I live in suburbia, went to Kroger on Sat 8am, and was pretty successful and found flour & Kroger branded toilet paper (that looked decent, haven't tried).

So as a PSA to everyone ... go when stores first open.

I've found this to be true with my pickup orders, too - the earlier in the day, the better the chance of getting the items I requested.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:06 AM   #4036
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've got a bad feeling about this...
Old 04-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #4037
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I've found this to be true with my pickup orders, too - the earlier in the day, the better the chance of getting the items I requested.

SI

I think things are just coming back into stock, gradually. For instance, I got the bread flour I've been requesting for 4 weeks in my order yesterday.

Also, which store you orders from matters, too (duh). We had been really hit and miss on meat from Kroger and were down to not much left and so I put in an order at HEB (regional Texas-based chain). We got over $150 worth of meat this week and almost everything I ordered was in stock so we're set for quite a while.

SI

Old 04-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #4038
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Which particular "this"? I can't keep up

SI

Old 04-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #4039
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
May the 4th be with you.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Which particular "this"? I can't keep up

SI

I was just going with the Star Wars theme, and the whole opening up on May 4th plan.

Last edited by Kodos : 04-23-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #4040
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was just going with the Star Wars theme, and the whole opening up on May 4th plan.

Right, right. Well, I'm sure Parson said "never tell me the odds"

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-23-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #4041
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

After consulting with 2 different Doctors at our veterinary clinic, we had decided to take our dog to the Doggie Day Care where she used to go a couple times a week before this pandemic started. And then we saw the news last night that 2 cats in NY were confirmed positive. And now Health Officials are recommending to continue social isolation of pets. It's a shame, because she certainly doesn't understand why she can't play with any of the other dogs in the neighborhood anymore. But I think it's sufficiently spooked us both into reconsidering for the time being.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #4042
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
After consulting with 2 different Doctors at our veterinary clinic, we had decided to take our dog to the Doggie Day Care where she used to go a couple times a week before this pandemic started. And then we saw the news last night that 2 cats in NY were confirmed positive. And now Health Officials are recommending to continue social isolation of pets. It's a shame, because she certainly doesn't understand why she can't play with any of the other dogs in the neighborhood anymore. But I think it's sufficiently spooked us both into reconsidering for the time being.

The news about cats being carriers has been around for a couple of weeks. I don't know about dogs, though

SI

Old 04-23-2020, 09:13 AM   #4043
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Whitmer says more on Michigan's plan next week, but stay-at-home is likely to be extended.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #4044
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Where I think all the politicians have failed is in communicating the metrics that will be used to lighten restrictions. It seems like there's a general sense of, "when things get better," but too little hard info on what better means in terms of loosening restrictions. That will also help drive policy towards the metrics that are deficient.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #4045
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Whitmer says more on Michigan's plan next week, but stay-at-home is likely to be extended.

She's going to need to announce the plan to slowly open before any extension, because I doubt the state GOP will vote to continue stay at home without one.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #4046
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Where I think all the politicians have failed is in communicating the metrics that will be used to lighten restrictions. It seems like there's a general sense of, "when things get better," but too little hard info on what better means in terms of loosening restrictions. That will also help drive policy towards the metrics that are deficient.

I think some of the problem is that we all don't really know. Every day the news changes about the virus as we learn more things.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #4047
Thomkal
Head Coach

Getting ready to leave shortly to get our second pickup order from Walmart and looks like we got most of it this time-a couple of substituions and only chicken thighs not available. Yogurt for some reason is hard to find-few subs and 1 not available.

Taking the opportunity to get a chicken teriyaki bowl for lunch from Mon Cafe right near the Walmart-they do curbside pickup too.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #4048
Thomkal
Head Coach

Elizabeth Warren's older brother has died from the virus
Old 04-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #4049
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Her Twitter thread on her brother's death is heartbreaking
Old 04-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #4050
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

NC Gov Roy Cooper expected to announce later today...

Quote:
- Extension of stay at home order to May 9-12 (exact date will be announced today)
- All schools will remain closed for the rest of the year.
- Phase 1: Starts at the end of stay at home order. Restrictions on the number of people in stores or public building will lifted. Bars, restaurants, non-essential businesses will remain closed. People will still be encouraged to stay home.
- Phase 2: Begins approximately the May 25th. Bars, restaurants, non-essential businesses can reopen. No concerts or mass gatherings.
- Phase 3: Begins mid-June. ALL RESTRICTIONS LIFTED.