Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #4002
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Meh....never really hear me whine about it. I think the beauty of "rasslin" is in the mind numbing simplicity of it that requires little thought.

To break it down and overvanalyze it.....to me it defeats the purpose.

Amen - I wasn't talking about you, just using your logic to mock wrestling message boards in general.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #4003
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
So guys, who do you think they'll finally reveal to be the anonymous GM?

Unless I missed something, I would expect it to just go away. It wasn't really ever hyped (after the first 2 weeks) as a "mystery gm", more of an anonymous gm, with the idea that they wanted a figurehead, but not an actual figurehead character. It did help a lot with moving the show along, (as opposed to on Smackdown, where you have to have Teddy Long's theme and intro 3 times a show to set things up - I can picture Teddy Long in the back - "Oh my god, there's 4 guys in the ring playa', I gotta go out there and make a tag team match, hit my music!"). I'd love to see them go back to the Jack Tunney type-role, a guy behind the scenes, where he's referenced, but you don't ever actually hear from him unless something REALLY important happens.

Last edited by molson : 09-06-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #4004
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Well tonight I just came back from the Raw house show in Barrie Ontario. It was a pretty good show to be honest, way better than the last time I went to see a house show about 10 years ago. Most of the wrestlers worked pretty hard, there were very few rest holds.

Things of note:
John Cena was the biggest star by far. The audience was mostly kids (or parents), he got about 90% cheers and 10% boos.
Mason Ryan came out as a face against Jack Swagger. He got cut open around the eye pretty bad, the ref instantly put on his plastic gloves and then we noticed the cut. They stopped the match for about 5 minutes to close it up, Swagger would taunt the crowd while it happened. And surprisingly, MASON RYAN WINS. That baffled me.
Miz and R-Truth challenged for the tag titles but lost. They were VERY entertaining. They essentially challenged the crowd not to let them do their catch phrases and the crowd ate it up, booing every time they lifted up the microphones.
We ended up getting a seat on the aisle entrance so my son got to high five a pile of guys including Cena.
On the way home, we drove past Cena's bus on the 400 highway and my son saw him drinking a pop. Oooooohhh.... but for him it was a big deal.

Any WWE house show is definitely aimed at the kids and I think they did a good job.

Next up, the Smackdown TV taping on Tuesday in downtown Toronto. We have 5th row seats for it.
Mota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #4005
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Geez, what a turd TNA squeezed out last night. With the exception of the Aries-Kendrick match - and lets face it at this point Aries could get a good match out of a mop - every match was a disaster.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #4006
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Cena has his own bus?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #4008
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm guessing Cena being the company "Yes" man makes some credible coin and if you are going to be be living a life on the road, you might as well invest in it.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #4009
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Piper Undergoing Emerency Surgery To Repair Broken Neck

Looks like Piper broke his neck, but kept wrestling until a couple of months later the pain wouldn't go away so he went and saw a doctor. That's right, he broke his neck and waited months before seeing a doctor.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #4010
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Cena's bus is pretty nice. He has a big screen TV, really nice kitchen as well from what I could see in about 2 seconds. Apparently Randy Orton also has one.

Tonight's Smackdown tapings were decent. It was a horrible NXT episode, a few matches for Superstars, and then Smackdown. It started around 7pm and ended around 11. That is LONG. It was Edge appreciation night which happened off TV. They brought in Trish Stratus who did a presentation to him. Then they played a nice video with a bunch of superstar quotes, and then Christian came into the ring and gave a touching speech. He was 100% out of character here and even if he wasn't, it's Toronto and he's very popular here since he's a local boy. They had his mom come out, his trainer, Rhino, Bret Hart, Sweet Daddy Siki, and a bunch of his friends. Then the entire locker room cleared out and everybody came in to give him a hug. I swear that must've lasted about 30-40 minutes. It was really long but really touching, he called it his true retirement night. I was 5th row but nowhere near the hard camera so I doubt that any of my son's signs will have made it onto TV.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #4011
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oh that wacky Matt Hardy.

TNA Wrestling News - Complete Transcript - The Entire Matt Hardy Police Report
Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #4012
RainMaker
General Manager

So he wasn't drunk, just on some heavy drugs.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #4013
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
So he wasn't drunk, just on some heavy drugs.

Still going with pain meds.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:45 AM   #4014
Suicane75
Coordinator

This fucker would serve the world better to just off himself before he fucks up and kills someone.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:16 AM   #4015
Mota
College Benchwarmer

The new "reborn" Matt Hardy sure didn't last long, did he?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #4016
spleen1015
Coordinator

How long has the Rock been back in the WWE? Is this a part time thing or is he back for a while?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #4017
Suicane75
Coordinator

He was the host of Wrestlemania this past year and they announced him vs Cena for this Wrestlemania coming up. He's likely back sporadically from now till then although him actually wrestling at Survivor Series is kind of a surprise.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #4018
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Another round of Botchmania.

Last edited by Matthean : 09-17-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #4019
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

The AJ Styles promo and the Devon promo on Jeff Hardy were the 2 best segments TNA has aired in 3 or 4 years. Great stuff.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #4020
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Looks like Piper broke his neck, but kept wrestling until a couple of months later the pain wouldn't go away so he went and saw a doctor. That's right, he broke his neck and waited months before seeing a doctor.
Anyone see the WWE Classics (or whatever the show is called) match recently with Piper and Mr. Perfect from some WWF prime time special? My god, that was wrestling gold. Those two guys were so good in their prime...
Old 09-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #4021
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Anyone see the WWE Classics (or whatever the show is called) match recently with Piper and Mr. Perfect from some WWF prime time special? My god, that was wrestling gold. Those two guys were so good in their prime...

I'm not sure exactly when those guys overlapped on the roster - I'll have to dig that up though, sounds awesome.

Not watching NOC tonight, but glad to hear that Mark Henry wins the World Title (with a completely clean win over Randy Orton). I think he's one of the better bad-ass monster heels in a long time, and they've booked him so strongly over the last few months. I especially liked the smackdown battle royal where he was just destroying everyone right after they got eliminated for no particular reason.

Last edited by molson : 09-18-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #4022
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Tonight's Smackdown tapings were decent. It was a horrible NXT episode, a few matches for Superstars, and then Smackdown. It started around 7pm and ended around 11. That is LONG. It was Edge appreciation night which happened off TV. They brought in Trish Stratus who did a presentation to him. Then they played a nice video with a bunch of superstar quotes, and then Christian came into the ring and gave a touching speech. He was 100% out of character here and even if he wasn't, it's Toronto and he's very popular here since he's a local boy. They had his mom come out, his trainer, Rhino, Bret Hart, Sweet Daddy Siki, and a bunch of his friends. Then the entire locker room cleared out and everybody came in to give him a hug. I swear that must've lasted about 30-40 minutes. It was really long but really touching, he called it his true retirement night. I was 5th row but nowhere near the hard camera so I doubt that any of my son's signs will have made it onto TV.

I happened to catch this tonight on WWE.com when looking at NOC results - photos from that Edge appreciation night. - maybe you can catch you and your son in any of them.

WWE "The WWE honors The Rated-R Superstar on "Edge Appreciation Night"" | Photos | September 16, 2011

Last edited by molson : 09-18-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #4023
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Looking at NOC spoilers and WWE can't even make Kelly Kelly seem like a convincing champ.

Quote:
They go back and forth until Beth hits a big clothesline. Beth takes Kelly to the top rope as the crowd chants for her. Beth hits a big Diva superplex on Kelly and both are down on the mat.

Beth finally crawls over and covers Kelly for a 2 count. Beth gets up and grabs Kelly for a powerbomb. Kelly rolls out of it and rolls Beth up out of nowhere for the win.

So basically Beth did eveything to finish off the match, but didn't win.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #4024
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Looking at NOC spoilers and WWE can't even make Kelly Kelly seem like a convincing champ.

So basically Beth did eveything to finish off the match, but didn't win.

I read that match was shockingly good - though nobody's happy with the ending.... I didn't see it though.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #4025
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Punk, wearing a CM Punk ice cream bar, takes a seat in the ring and waits for The Game.

Heh.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #4026
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Well, the end was...interesting.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #4027
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Even Dusty Rhodes thinks that booking is retarded.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #4028
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

NoDQ.com: WWE Night of Champions 2011 Results, News, and Spoilers

If people want spoilers.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #4029
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Even Dusty Rhodes thinks that booking is retarded.

Sounds like there was plenty of clubberin' going on ... just not sure how much sense that it all made.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #4030
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Totally random story that appeared in the Athens paper today.

Former professional wrestler takes on Tybee Island’s lost animals || OnlineAthens.com

As I remember Jerry Oates, he and his brother Ted were pretty steady hands in the midcard. Kind of a lost breed in today's wrestling world.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-19-2011 at 01:38 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #4031
RainMaker
General Manager

For as horrible as the HHH circle jerk has been, the rest of the program has gotten better. They have a legit tag division and have given us some good matches. The mid-card is getting actual storylines and some time on the air. They've even created a nice monster heel for once on Smackdown for Orton to chase.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #4032
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The latest video posted by Matt Hardy (paraphrasing here) admits to self-medication problems and says he's taking the WWE up on their offer and heading to rehab for 90 days with plans to open a wrestling school after his release from treatment.

I hope he means it & I hope he makes it through it.

(The cynic in me wouldn't place any bets on how this will turn out, but at least there's a shot)
Old 09-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #4033
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And now we know the rest of the story ... including the kicker that it was girlfriend Reby Sky who called 911 and helped officers find his stash.

from PWInsider & TNAWrestlingNews (among others)
Hardy announced on Monday that he’s going to rehab, but it’s been revealed today that he was arrested once again last week (9/14) after his home was raided and illegal drugs were found.

Hardy, 36, has been charged with possessing a controlled substance with intent to sell or deliver, possessing a controlled substance, maintaining a drug dwelling and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia, according to a release today from the Moore County Sheriff’s Office.

The search at Hardy’s home on Sept. 14 turned up 20 vials of anabolic steroids, the drug MDMA (Ecstasy) and $1,961 in cash, the release said.

In case you are losing track of all Matt Hardy’s arrests, this is the third time Matt Hardy has been arrested in less than a month.

Hardy was released today on a written promise to appear in Moore County court on Thursday.

It should be noted that the rehab video was made AFTER this latest arrest. It's likely a case of taking the steps now so that when he gets to court he can use the rehab over jail defense. Nonetheless, he's apparently taking the proper steps to get himself clean.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #4034
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
For as horrible as the HHH circle jerk has been, the rest of the program has gotten better. They have a legit tag division and have given us some good matches. The mid-card is getting actual storylines and some time on the air. They've even created a nice monster heel for once on Smackdown for Orton to chase.

As much as I dislike the sudden push of Mark Henry because he's been a midcarder FOREVER, I really like the storyline they've given for his chase. They expose the doubts about him being able to win the big match. They show his hunger. And then he overcame the odds and won cleanly.

Why is it that with all of these future main eventers going for the title in the past year, that they never gave them pushes like this? Make the heel strong, create a situation where you don't know how the faces will overcome it. And then when they win out in the end, it means a lot. That's good storytelling.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #4035
RainMaker
General Manager

I never understood why they didn't use the underdog face more often either. You create a monster heel who looks unbeatable and then the underdog face finally takes him down.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #4036
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Totally random story that appeared in the Athens paper today.

Former professional wrestler takes on Tybee Island’s lost animals || OnlineAthens.com

As I remember Jerry Oates, he and his brother Ted were pretty steady hands in the midcard. Kind of a lost breed in today's wrestling world.

They were staples when I was in Augusta in the early 80's, usually getting their asses kicked by the Freebirds or some other tag team, but solid workers.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #4037
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I happened to catch this tonight on WWE.com when looking at NOC results - photos from that Edge appreciation night. - maybe you can catch you and your son in any of them.

WWE "The WWE honors The Rated-R Superstar on "Edge Appreciation Night"" | Photos | September 16, 2011

Thanks for that! On 21/32, the Bret Hart sign is ours. We were pretty deep into the corner so I don't think we got any signage on TV. We had made an Edge sign but so did about 50% of the people who went to the show, LOL.

The whole Edge appreciation thing was really special. Christian was 100% face and pretty much out of character, they brought in some of his REAL friends to greet him. They brought out his MOM (and there was a thank you mom chant). They were taping all the way, so hopefully this'll appear on a DVD or something at a later date. It was definitely WAY too long to be on TV but as an extra on a DVD it would be great.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #4039
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Top 50 OMG Moments from the WWE on Netflix has some pretty funny stuff, not so much the moments but the commentary, CM Punk in particular.

Not sure how old this is, but it's cheap entertainment when you're watching with a 13 y/o who knows a lot of these more by legend or reference than by actually having seen them.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #4040
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Well the WWE title has now changed hands 7 times since the Money in the Bank PPV 3 months ago. Crazy, isn't it? That means that to anybody but the most hardcore fan, most people probably have no idea who the champ is right now.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #4041
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

That was easily the worst Impact I've ever seen...

...wait, what?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:22 AM   #4042
Mota
College Benchwarmer

So the walkout guys are the biggest bunch of morons ever. The top faces that were nowhere to be seen last week are the biggest bunch of corporate butt kissers ever. Did they put ANY time into this storyline? Seems like if I was writing a product I wouldn't write something where everybody comes out looking like a moron. And once again, nothing means anything.

I'm basically just fast-forwarding through half of Raw these days because the wrestling doesn't mean a thing, and the entertainment factor is D grade at best, thankfully there's still some good wrestling out there to watch, just not on national TV.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #4043
Flasch186
Coordinator

...and I actually see them as finally hitting the reset button and creating the war that RAW v Smackdown was supposed to be. I see a lot of potential in this.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #4044
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
...and I actually see them as finally hitting the reset button and creating the war that RAW v Smackdown was supposed to be. I see a lot of potential in this.
There would have been potential in that years ago, when they first split the brand. Why would there be any now?

There's no difference between the two shows, the wrestlers just go back and forth all the time with no explanation, and the fanbase is the same so why would people choose sides?

The brand split "rivalry" basically involves a battle royale once or twice a year where everyone puts on red or blue t-shirts.The concept is dead.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #4045
Flasch186
Coordinator

Which is what I mean by 'doing it right this time'.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #4046
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
So the walkout guys are the biggest bunch of morons ever. The top faces that were nowhere to be seen last week are the biggest bunch of corporate butt kissers ever. Did they put ANY time into this storyline? Seems like if I was writing a product I wouldn't write something where everybody comes out looking like a moron. And once again, nothing means anything.

I'm basically just fast-forwarding through half of Raw these days because the wrestling doesn't mean a thing, and the entertainment factor is D grade at best, thankfully there's still some good wrestling out there to watch, just not on national TV.

Meltzer said that they had a different storyline for the whole thing but Vince wanted to go this way instead. He is really ruining the show and I don't get why he continues to get cheered. I actually think the show has been moving the right direction but you can still tell where Vince has his shitty footprints on it.

The stroryline is beyond dumb. They've also gone from turning CM Punk from an anti-establishment hero to John Cena lite.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #4047
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, last night's CM Punk was all excited about wearing HHH's jacket and doing the play-by-play. June's CM Punk would've been excited about taking HHH's jacket and pissing on it ... on air. And laughing as the producers scramble to commercials.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #4048
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

god the E is sad nowadys
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #4049
BYU 14
Coordinator

Scott Hall will be featured in an ESPN E60 documentary this Wednesday, sad as it is to say I don't see him around much longer based on this clip. Seems like he will never get over his addictions

Last edited by BYU 14 : 10-17-2011 at 09:19 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #4050
Mota
College Benchwarmer

In weird news, TNA gets Bobby Roode to win the Bound For Glory series tournament. Then they spend a full month building him up, how his journey to the top is happening. The hype machine is on full blast ... and then he loses.

I don't know if they still plan on having him as a future main eventer, but this is pretty much the equivalent of the Lex Express getting derailed in 1994. He could never be the same again, no matter what they intended to do with him.

It's different than a Jeff Hardy in 2009 who was elevated due to fan support that continued to grow, despite the WWE not wanting it to. Roode's push came from TNA which means it was a lot more delicate and had to be nurtured.

I have no vested interest in Roode's push, but it seems strange to build up a star and then to just pull back on it like that. TNA doesn't usually do that, that's a WWE thing. Also funny that Hogan gave an interview on Friday and said that Roode wasn't ready to be the next big thing, so maybe there's a story that we don't know about (yet) that caused this.