Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #4001
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Scarlett Johansson kicking ass was super hot... she's got some really nice curves. Her hair looked pretty too.

And she had the most not needed part of the movie. I enjoyed the Avenger stuff more than most as it's for the "greater good," but her part could have easily been avoided.

For the movie, I liked it a lot. IM was better, but this was a solid flick.

Last edited by Matthean : 05-08-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #4002
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Public Enemies: 5/10

I spent half the movie looking at my clock wondering when the movie will be over. Some OK imagery but I couldn't get attached to any of the characters and some parts were overdramatic to the point I almost thought it was a comedy.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #4003
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Moon: 10/10

I saw the previews long enough ago that I forgot what was in it. I'm glad I did as it helped slow down me figuring things out.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #4004
rowech
Pro Starter

Sherlock Holmes (8/10) -- I liked it enough that I wish I had seen it in the theater instead of waiting. The plot is a little out there. Does a great job of depicting old England and the atmosphere is really there. Law and Downey create the characters in a different way but they setup well for future movies if they decide they would like to.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #4005
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

The Evil Dead - 7/10

Blood, blood, and more blood... love it! The props and the oozing of bodily fluids in the final fight scene were awesomely bad. It's been recommended that I see The Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, and that I shall.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #4006
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
The Evil Dead - 7/10

Blood, blood, and more blood... love it! The props and the oozing of bodily fluids in the final fight scene were awesomely bad. It's been recommended that I see The Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, and that I shall.

My favourite trilogy.

Evil Dead 2 is like a high budget (relatively speaking) remake of 1, but Army of Darkness is completely awesome.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #4007
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Up in the Air: 8/10

I didn't mind the twist. Knowing that one was coming I was actively trying to find it and figured it out just as the scene was happening. Likely falls in the category of a really well done movie, but not near a favorite.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #4008
Pyser
Pro Rookie

land of the lost - 7/10

i dont get the hate for this movie. i laughed a lot. i dont know the original series at all, though, which may have helped. and it was clearly for adults. any time the main character gets down a knee, calls over the monkey character (really the only annoying thing in the entire movie) and whispers "fuck you" to it, im in. its the usual dumb will ferrell humor, just with crazy special effects. i enjoyed it.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #4009
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Caught a few movies over the past week or so...

Sherlock Holmes - 7/10
I liked it enough, though not enough to watch it all in one night. Both myself and the gf fell asleep near the last half hour. With that said, I really liked Downey Jr. as Sherlock and Jude Law as Watson; they really made the movie for me. I would watch it again.

Couples Retreat - 6/10
Meh...not as funny as many LOL moments as I would expect from these guys. More romantic comedy than I wanted.

Step Brothers - 7/10
Farrr more LOL moments, but FARRR more stupid! Farrell and Reilly are great together, and the one-liners/facial expressions really made it for me. This was the second time I've seen it, the first was in theaters and that was a waste of $10. I think we rented it this time at a RedBox...definetly worth the $1.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #4010
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Iron Man 2 - 7/10: A very fun action flick, though one which wasn't as good as Iron Man 1. Saying that, though, it stood very well on its own. Downey, Jr. was charismatic as always, and Rourke was really good as the main baddy. Also a nice setup for The Avengers movie. Nicely done sequal, which has become more common for these type of movies, but refreshing.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #4011
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Kick - Ass: 8.5/10

I really enjoyed it, and yes Hit-Girl (and even papa Nic Cage) stole the show. I don't really have any problems with the movie, and even my GF enjoyed it quite a bit. Gory, funny, Actiony - you really can't go wrong
Old 05-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #4012
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
land of the lost - 7/10

i dont get the hate for this movie. i laughed a lot. i dont know the original series at all, though, which may have helped. and it was clearly for adults. any time the main character gets down a knee, calls over the monkey character (really the only annoying thing in the entire movie) and whispers "fuck you" to it, im in. its the usual dumb will ferrell humor, just with crazy special effects. i enjoyed it.

Yeah, I didn't mind this one either. Not a work of art or anything, but just a typical dumb Ferrell comedy where I could turn off my brain and kill 90 minutes with enough LOL moments to see me through, but pretty much everyone else who has seen it hated it.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #4013
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

District 9 : 6/10

A little to predictable for me with too many open ended questions. I'll give it a bonus point for the alien weapons that turn you to goo.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #4014
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Away We Go: 8/10

I thought it was well done, overall. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but...it's actually quite sweet. Could've used better character development of Maya Rudolph's character, but that's an indictment of movies in general of female characters.

But it was sharp and well acted on the whole. I can understand the criticisms of "oh gee, aren't they just goody two shoes parents who think they're better than their friends?" that I read in some reviews, but...I felt like it was a movie for it's time and for its generation.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-12-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #4015
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Road - 8/10
Good movie, I would have rated it higher if I hadn't read the book, though I think it'd be impossible to film the bleak world depicted in the novel and have the movie still be watchable! Had a different, more hopeful tone (relatively speaking) from the novel overall, but that wasn't so much of a bad thing really. They were both very good in their own ways.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #4016
korme
Go Reds

This Film is Not Yet Rated (2008) - A recommended documentary for any fan of film. Dissects the way (or lackthereof) in which the MPAA dishes out their ratings. Doesn't really solve anything or necessarily dish out any better ideas, but really just exposes the MPAA for being completely irrational and inconsistent. Kept me interested through and through for 90 minutes. 8/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #4017
korme
Go Reds

The Girlfriend Experience (2009) - Bad Steven Soderbergh, bad! This was a terribly boring flick. An hour and 16 minutes never felt so long. Bad camera work, cheap production, and boring dialogue about the economy with no real storyline or plot... just left me wondering, why they even made this movie. 1/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #4018
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Currently watching the Ken Burn's series "Baseball"

Excellent.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #4019
Swaggs
Coordinator

X-Men Origins: Wolverine -- 8/10

Finally got around to watching this from Netflix. My rating may be a little high, but I enjoyed seeing all the different characters and there was a little more star power than I expected. Pretty good storyline (for this genre) and lots of good action w/ lots of fun characters and backstory. Definitely a good rent if you are in the mood for a superhero or action film.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #4020
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Soul Power - 10/10

It's a documentary of the Zaire '74 concert that tool place in Zaire (now, D.R. Congo) in 1974 in advance of the Foreman-Ali fight. It's lots of music and the artists tell their story. Given I wasn't born yet, seeing footage like this is always fun for me to see how different things are and how similar they are in other ways.

Not to mention it makes a compelling case, without saying a word, for how the music then is a lot better than the music now.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-15-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #4021
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Iron Man 2 - 7/10

I'm tempted to say 6/10 instead but I think I'm just feeling crappy with this cough/cold. Downey was Downey, SLJ was SLJ, Rourke was good. But ultimately the eye candy visual effects were what kept me at 7 for this one, the actual plot had a very been there, done that feel for me.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #4022
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Currently watching the Ken Burn's series "Baseball"

Excellent.

The "10th Inning" is being shown on PBS, Sept 28th and 29th. It is a 4 hour documentary about the steroid era. Ken Burns also directs.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #4023
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

The Wizard of Oz (1939) - 8/10

First time I've ever seen it! Crazy. Anyway, if I had seen this back in 1939 as a kid, it would trip the hell outta me. The colors, the props, costumes, everything was awesome. The lion got on my nerves though and the witch scene at the end was weak. But very enjoyable movie.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 05-15-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #4024
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Now you have to watch it while listening to Dark Side of the Moon!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #4025
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pandorum -- 6/10

This is kind of an interesting space sci-fi/horror movie with Ben Foster (I always seem to like his roles pretty well) and Dennis Quaid. Without (hopefully) giving much away, the premise is that the Earth is no longer able to support the huge population in the 2100s, but scientists have found a planet suitable for colonization that is 123-years away. The film takes place on the ship, en route to the new planet. Quaid and Foster play officers who awake from their long term, "hyper sleep" with the realization that something has gone horrifically wrong while they slept, with both showing symptoms of "pandorum" (which essentially refers to gradual insanity upon waking up from an extended period of hyper sleep during space travel).

I'm generally a sucker for survival-type films, where you have a small group of people who have survived a disaster trying to get their lives stabilized. Sci-fi and space travel are not my favorite, but I liked this one pretty well. It had a handful of startling scares and some pretty decent (although maybe not completely unexpected) twists and turns. Outside of Foster, not great acting, but if you are looking for a survival, space travel, or horror, it is worth watching.

Last edited by Swaggs : 05-15-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #4026
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Now you have to watch it while listening to Dark Side of the Moon!

Hmm.. heard this twice already, how come?
Old 05-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #4027
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Dark Side of the Rainbow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #4028
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Because when you start the the movie and the album together it synchs up

for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2CYjcQSUXg

Further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Rainbow

Last edited by Greyroofoo : 05-15-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #4029
Radii
Head Coach

I assume you have to be a big pink floyd fan to get into it. I watched that youtube vid and just come away with the idea that I'm not on enough drugs to think its that cool or to watch any more.

Last edited by Radii : 05-15-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #4030
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Interesting. So have you guys actually synced it up? Also, do we keep the CD looping or what happens when the music ends?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #4031
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

They used to have to whole thing synched up version on youtube. After the cd ends, there's no real consensus on what to do next.

Last edited by Greyroofoo : 05-15-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:22 AM   #4032
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
They used to have to whole thing synched up version on youtube. After the cd ends, there's no real consensus on what to do next.

PANIC.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #4033
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Robin Hood - 6/10

Ridley Scott's take on Robin Hood's origin story. Ran 45 minutes too long, and felt too much like Gladiator lite for me to truly appreciate.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #4034
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Robin Hood - 6/10

Ridley Scott's take on Robin Hood's origin story. Ran 45 minutes too long, and felt too much like Gladiator lite for me to truly appreciate.

I decided from the trailer it looked WAY too much like Gladiator and will be staying away.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #4035
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
After the cd ends, there's no real consensus on what to do next.

Run like hell?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #4036
Bad-example
College Starter

Pandorum - 4/10

Got almost half way through before giving up. Seemed like a bad horror movie masquerading as a sci fi flick.

Man, it seems like forever since I've seen a good science fiction movie.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #4037
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Pandorum - 4/10

Got almost half way through before giving up. Seemed like a bad horror movie masquerading as a sci fi flick.

Man, it seems like forever since I've seen a good science fiction movie.

I'm closer to your rating than Swaggs rating for this movie. To be fair, I don't think I made it to the end yet though, so maybe the end is really good or something.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #4038
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I'm closer to your rating than Swaggs rating for this movie. To be fair, I don't think I made it to the end yet though, so maybe the end is really good or something.

I think there are a few pretty solid twists in the last few minutes that make it worth a point or two more, but your mileage may vary. I'd recommend trying to finish it.

I thought the scenary and story were pretty decent (but again, I'm a sucker for survival movies). I think Dennis Quaid kind of drags the movie down with his acting.

Last edited by Swaggs : 05-16-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #4039
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Iron Man 2 - 7/10

I'm tempted to say 6/10 instead but I think I'm just feeling crappy with this cough/cold. Downey was Downey, SLJ was SLJ, Rourke was good. But ultimately the eye candy visual effects were what kept me at 7 for this one, the actual plot had a very been there, done that feel for me.

Like Rocky III, maybe?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #4040
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

When We Were Kings - 8/10

Documentary leading up to, and on, the fight of Muhammad Ali and George Foreman in Zaire. Has there been a sports figure since Ali that has such a reach outside of sports? Or probably a better question, has there ever been an athlete with such an influence like Ali had.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 05-21-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #4041
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I finally saw Avatar today. I didn't like it and I'm glad I didn't rush to see it earlier. I guess it was visually all right, but I didn't really enjoy the storyline and it left me with more questions than answers. James Cameron should leave the sci-fi to the pros.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:07 AM   #4042
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
James Cameron should leave the sci-fi to the pros.

That seems a little harsh for the highest grossing film (by almost a billion dollars) of all time.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:13 AM   #4043
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I finally saw Avatar today. I didn't like it and I'm glad I didn't rush to see it earlier. I guess it was visually all right, but I didn't really enjoy the storyline and it left me with more questions than answers. James Cameron should leave the sci-fi to the pros.

Aliens. Terminator. Terminator 2. Abyss.

Come on.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #4044
MIJB#19
Coordinator

The Butterfly Effect 2 - 3/10
This had nothing to do with being a sequal and everything about grabbing the key element of another movie and re-using that with a different set of characters. Well, different doesn't really sound right here, they re-used the core set of male leading role, with a blond girlfriend, a wacko best friend and a corncerned mother. The only good news was that it ran for about half an hour less, as I kept hoping this mess would come to an end really fast.

Robin Hood (2010) - 7/10
I went in there expecting yet afraid to see your average Robin Hood story, but it turned out to be a somewhat new kind of storyline. Yet, as this wasn't a cliche Robin Hood movie, it was dreaded with other typical cliches. To me , it felt like a Braveheart kind of movie, but with the fighting scenes toned down. There really isn't much blood or visible stabbing, aside from one of the last scenes of the movie. If/when I see it again, odds are I might tone it down to a 6 out of 10.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 05-22-2010 at 04:49 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #4045
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Ninja Assassin - 7/10

In the first 5 minutes someone gets sliced and all hell breaks loose. Great action sequences and very bloody.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #4046
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
Aliens. Terminator. Terminator 2. Abyss.

Come on.

I knew I should've googled his movies before saying that. I only knew Titantic, but I'm no movie buff.

Still, I didn't really enjoy the story at all.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #4047
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
That seems a little harsh for the highest grossing film (by almost a billion dollars) of all time.

I made the mistake of 1) not looking at all the movies he'd made and 2) equating sci-fi in my head with only space films of the Star Trek mold.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #4048
Groundhog
Coordinator

Robin Hood - 7/10
I knew it wasn't going to be the "Robin Hood" story going in, and I understand all the criticisms. They could've just renamed all the characters to something else and you'd never link it with Robin Hood (well, maybe move it out of Nottingham too...), but even so, fairly enjoyable flick.
Spoiler
Old 05-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #4049
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Watching Night at the Museum 2 right now, I am definitely not enjoying it as much as I did the first one. I don't know if it's because the story is so similar, maybe it's just lost a bit of the magic I thought made the first one so charming? It's not keeping my attention nearly as well.

Night at the Museum 2 - 6/10

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:45 AM   #4050
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Spoiler
Oh yeah, definately. I had the exact same thought.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote