Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #3951
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently the sales for the TNA tapings in Huntsville tomorrow night are downright awful. The rumor is they expect a crowd of 2,000 with half of that comps.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #3952
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Apparently the sales for the TNA tapings in Huntsville tomorrow night are downright awful. The rumor is they expect a crowd of 2,000 with half of that comps.

They've been having to paper the house at pretty much all of their shows (PPV's mainly) outside of Orlando for quite a while now, this really doesn't surprise me. Their house shows seems to have settled in the 400-1000 attendance range from what I've read & that's including comps.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #3953
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Well, at least you gotta figure even though Hardy is a wreck and potential time-bomb, at least this should get people interested to watch...HAHAHAHA, sorry, don't know what I was thinking.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #3954
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Great Tweet from M.Hardy's girlfriend Reby Sky

Quote:
When asked what she said to Hardy after his accident, Sky responded, "Which one..." She was also asked whether Hardy had gone "insane." She wrote, "I'm the wrong person to ask..."
Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #3955
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

He posted a video on his youtube channel and he's completely wasted on something. I've done the whole alcohol/drug addict friend thing. I don't think I lasted 10 seconds watching the clip.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #3956
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I'd be shocked if he isn't dead by the end of the year.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #3957
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
he's completely wasted on something.

I've seen a couple of snarky comments around the 'net that specifically mentioned Soma. Don't know if that's just people taking a wild ass guess or what, but it would certainly make sense.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #3958
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I've seen a couple of snarky comments around the 'net that specifically mentioned Soma. Don't know if that's just people taking a wild ass guess or what, but it would certainly make sense.

Yep. Pain medication would be an easy choice. Pain meds was the drug of choice for my friend as well.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #3959
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Mike Johnson has said WWE added Somas to Wellness because of Hardy.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #3960
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Shane Ryan on the personal struggles of wrestling star Ric Flair - Grantland

Grantland covers Ric Flair.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #3961
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Some good stuff there. TNA pays him $22,000 a month? I don't understand the economics of wrestling at all.

As a tangnet on that point, I don't understand how a Randy Savage tribute show in Florida could draw 150 people at $5-$10/piece, and then everyone's shocked that the promotor couldn't pay everyone. And that Ox Baker so generously only asked for "airfare from CT", which by my math, would pretty much wipe out the entire amount of ticket sales. Somehow I doubt the promotor was sitting on some giant treasure trove after this show instead of paying talent: Randy 'Macho Man' Savage benefit called a 'blemish on the name of wrestling' - St. Petersburg Times. I don't get how anyone outside the WWE can make a living wrestling, or promoting shows.

But back to the point, this is the highlight of the article;

2002: In May, Fliehr and a group of other wrestlers, including Scott Hall ("Razor Ramon") and Virgil Runnels III ("Dustin Rhodes a.k.a. Goldust") were on a chartered flight back to the United States after a series of shows in Europe. They began drinking, and the situation quickly deteriorated. Two flight attendants, Taralyn Cappellano and Heidi Doyle, would compile their allegations into a 2004 lawsuit. Chief among the chronicled misdeeds was Fliehr's sexual aggression. He wore nothing but a jeweled cape, the flight attendants said, and "flashed his nakedness, spinning his penis around." He separately grabbed each woman's hand and placed it on his crotch, and then "forcibly detained and restrained" Doyle "from leaving the back of the galley of the airplane while he sexually assaulted her." Other wrestlers on the flight passed out syringes to the flight attendants with instructions to dispose of them. The specifics of the assault aren't clear. At other points during the flight, Hall licked Doyle's face, told her he wanted to "lick her pussy," and asked Cappellano to "suck his dick." Runnels advised Cappellano that, "You and me are gonna fuck."

Last edited by molson : 08-25-2011 at 06:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #3962
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't get how anyone outside the WWE can make a living wrestling, or promoting shows.

Many (and I'd think most) don't. Not entirely anyway. A relative handful do but it's really interesting how many people that you see on TV have non-wrestling jobs that support what amounts to an expensive hobby. Fitness trainers, bouncers, bodyguards & such seem to be popular but at the next level down or so down from TNA there's heating & air technicians, EMT's, construction workers, you name it.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #3963
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LOL'ing a bit at a Twitter fight between Austin & Punk tonight

Quote:
my middle name is Whoop Ass...now go about your business before you step in a big pile of what did I get myself into now??
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #3964
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So Sin Cara had a disaster of a match at SD tapings with Heath Slater, so bad in fact it had to be redone later on in the taping. Everyone thought it was Mistico under the mask for the match, since he is off suspension now, but it was Hurnico who had taken the gimmick over in the interim.

Fast forward to today where it's being reported that Mistico was sent home from the SD taping and looks like he has been fired, so despite the awful match, Hurnico will be under the mask from now on.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #3965
Mota
College Benchwarmer

So here's the question ... are the fans dumb enough to not notice that they are losing a world class wrestler Sin Cara and getting a developmental talent Sin Cara instead?

Mind you I don't think Mistico has done anything special in WWE but that sure is a step down in terms of talent. The Hunico version is doing mostly the same moves but he doesn't make it look easy. He doesn't flow like Mistico does.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #3966
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I guess the buyrate for Money in the Bank was up 60% from last year. Not bad for a couple promos.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #3967
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
So here's the question ... are the fans dumb enough to not notice that they are losing a world class wrestler Sin Cara and getting a developmental talent Sin Cara instead?

Mind you I don't think Mistico has done anything special in WWE but that sure is a step down in terms of talent. The Hunico version is doing mostly the same moves but he doesn't make it look easy. He doesn't flow like Mistico does.

I wouldn't have noticed the difference, and I doubt most WWE fans are that discerning.

Where they will run into trouble is with the Mexican fanbase - part of the whole reason to bring Mistico was to appeal to them, and they'll know the difference.

And I don't know pre-Sin Cara Hunico at all, but I do think he might be a better fit for the WWE. He's a little bigger, and seems a little more...consistent and predictable in his movements, i.e., less likely to botch/break his neck. I just feel like he's got a better handle on the character. And he's not just a developmental guy, he's done the AAA/American indys/Chikara thing as well. He's not as renowned as Mistico, but really, all the WWE Sin Cara has to do is be able to do a couple of flips, don't botch too much, and don't injure anyone. (Though a bad start on #2 for him).

Last edited by molson : 08-27-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #3968
molson
General Manager

So Ric Flair is suing over that Grantland article, specifically the claim that he has alcoholic cardiomyopathy

Ric Flair Threatens Lawsuit - Details Inside - WrestlingInc.com

He seems to have a bit of an uphill battle there, in light of:

Ric Flair: to be the man - Google Books

I'm not sure the Flair story is really a sad one or not. I'm going to say it's not. He's made it to 62, and he's managed to make a lot of money, and spend about 10 times what me made. He'll outlive all the debts. A moral life, no, but a wrestling success story, yes.

Last edited by molson : 08-28-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #3969
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Weird ending to Raw tonight. I have a hunch something unplanned happened because the entire Triple H vs Punk deal at Night of Champions is being totally hotshot. But just the way they announced it was so against how WWE usually operates that it seemed like they wanted to get it out there so they could start a brand new build on tomorrow's show.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #3970
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, I read that there were issues with Nash's health test so I guess he couldn't get cleared.

It's really a shame since the CM Punk / HHH match is something that we should be seeing at Royal Rumble and not 3 weeks into the angle.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #3971
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

So they decided to put the hottest wrestler into a feud with a guy who can't perform. Then put the title on a guy who is having work visa issues.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the WWE.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #3972
Mota
College Benchwarmer

This show is so weird. CM Punk comes out in an interview with HHH, it sounds like they're both shooting on each other. HHH definitely picks some good points to win over the crowd ... and CM Punk gets half booed by the crowd. Isn't he supposed to be their big hot new face? Are they trying to make him unlikeable so he can bring in his heel stable with the Kings of Wrestling? Or are they just losing control of the angle? Wow. I'll definitely keep a close eye on this one, it's either the most brilliant angle ever or the worst angle ever.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #3973
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Another interesting thing to point out why nothing makes sense in the WWE. Two days ago, the main event of Super Smackdown was John Cena vs. CM Punk. Last night, it was changed to Cena vs. Barrett and Punk vs. Khali. Now I'm watching tonight and it was Sheamus against Khali.
Imagine how many times they rewrote this show in the past two days, they announce so little in advance, and can't even keep that together.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #3974
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It was a horrible segment. The storyline is pretty much dead. I don't know what the hell they are doing anymore.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #3975
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
This show is so weird. CM Punk comes out in an interview with HHH, it sounds like they're both shooting on each other. HHH definitely picks some good points to win over the crowd ... and CM Punk gets half booed by the crowd. Isn't he supposed to be their big hot new face? Are they trying to make him unlikeable so he can bring in his heel stable with the Kings of Wrestling? Or are they just losing control of the angle? Wow. I'll definitely keep a close eye on this one, it's either the most brilliant angle ever or the worst angle ever.
Haven't seen the segment, but if you're going to do a "reality"-based worked shoot angle then don't you have to give up a good deal of control over how the crowd responds?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #3976
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Fucking look at me, look at me. I fully expect this to be a troll on Hardy's part with him saying his YT was hacked.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #3977
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Fucking look at me, look at me. I fully expect this to be a troll on Hardy's part with him saying his YT was hacked.

Quote:
He posted a video on his youtube channel and he's completely wasted on something. I've done the whole alcohol/drug addict friend thing. I don't think I lasted 10 seconds watching the clip.

Still going with this. Trolling, or not, it's pure seeking to draw attention to himself even if that message is, "Hey, I need help."
Old 08-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #3978
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Jeff Hardy's wife Beth posted the following on her Twitter account, @BETHBRITTBRAND, tonight:

"When the cops show up to our house at 11 pm, for a "suicide call" the f****** joke is over @MATTHARDYBRAND. Stop trying to work the Internet"

"I guess you got what you wanted @MATTHARDYBRAND. Everyone is talking about you, again. But it's not in a good way."
Old 08-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #3979
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Next time Matt passes out, Beth ought to stop by with a 2x4 & show him just how funny he is.

What an asshole (but then again, we pretty much knew that before last night).
Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #3980
molson
General Manager

What a hilarious prankster Matt hardy is! I guess this is his new gimmick.

Nobody will hire him to wrestle anymore - except for every indy promotion and TNA. I mean, even Scott Hall still gets work - and I believe he's been dead for several years. Sadly, I think in the pro wrestling world, this kind of stuff will keep his name out there in a "productive" way. The suicide threat won't be as effective again - maybe next time he can threaten to murder someone.

And when the hell did Matt become the crazy Hardy brother? That happened pretty suddenly.

Last edited by molson : 08-31-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #3981
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

After watching Raw and Smackdown on consecutive nights, when did the WWE become a bigger clusterfuck than TNA?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #3982
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
And when the hell did Matt become the crazy Hardy brother? That happened pretty suddenly.

That is really strange. He really needs to call on his much better off brother Jeff to help him. Just typing that is disturbing.

But for playing that prank, Matt deserves all the bad press he's been getting. All the naysayers out there? He's proving them right. The fact that over 25 people called 911 out there, that goes to show how many people he scared and how feelings were hurt. As much of an idiot that he is, people really like the Hardy's and that's just not how you treat your family, friends and fans.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #3983
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
After watching Raw and Smackdown on consecutive nights, when did the WWE become a bigger clusterfuck than TNA?

I wouldn't go that far. Might be approaching the same level of clusterfuckedness though.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #3984
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Video: CM Punk on quitting, coming back, Steve Austin, more - Gerweck.net

15 minute interview with CM Punk.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #3985
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 09-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #3986
molson
General Manager

Awesome. Hopefully it shows up on Netflix streaming (a lot of their stuff has been showing up there lately).

Last edited by molson : 09-04-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #3987
molson
General Manager

Oh, and Kurt Angle got another DUI.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #3988
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Seeing that Kurt was already on probation from a prior DUI, is there a possibility that he could go to jail here?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #3989
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If you've seen his Tweets (re: the WWE Top 50 list) this week, this really comes as no surprise. At least this might spare us the inevitable claim that someone hacked his Twitter.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #3990
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Goodbye wrestling see you again in february.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #3991
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If you've seen his Tweets (re: the WWE Top 50 list) this week, this really comes as no surprise. At least this might spare us the inevitable claim that someone hacked his Twitter.

I actually watched it today and I thought it was...interesting. I think I have bigger beef where some other people are ranked, but I can at least try to wrap my head around some of the rankings.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #3992
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A young HS football player from Rome, GA is recovering at the renowned Shephard Spinal Center in Atlanta after a car crash that left him seriously injured following his first ever varsity start at LB in the school's pre-season scrimmage a couple of weeks ago. He got a visit today from a wrestling name a lot of us will remember: Lex Luger.

No connection between the two as far as I can tell, other than the fact that Luger has been through a lot of what this young man faces following his spinal stroke a few years back.

Just figured I'd share this, it probably won't make the headlines anywhere (I only know about it because I've been following the kid's CaringBridge page) but it's a lot better news than what we usually get about wrestlers these days.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #3993
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Goodbye wrestling see you again in february.

CM Punk is hot right now so lets make a feud that is about HHH and Kevin Nash instead.

Shit that feud is bad.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-06-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #3994
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
CM Punk is hot right now so lets make a feud that is about HHH and Kevin Nash instead.

Shit that feud is bad.

to me anymore wrestling is a filler between football season.
otherwise monday night is for football
Old 09-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #3995
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Wait a minute - you're going to watch something you prefer, rather than watch something you hate every week just you can constantly whine about it? What sense does that make?

Last edited by molson : 09-06-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #3996
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I rarely watch it live ever. It's a good show to DVR and fast through the filler.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #3997
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wait a minute - you're going to watch something you prefer, rather than watch something you hate every week just you can constantly whine about it? What sense does that make?

Meh....never really hear me whine about it. I think the beauty of "rasslin" is in the mind numbing simplicity of it that requires little thought.

To break it down and overvanalyze it.....to me it defeats the purpose.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #3998
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The more I think about it, the last few months may have been a big practical joke on the internet fans.

Exec #1: "OK, so we take their favorite wrestler, give him a big time angle, get it super hot... then just when they're all excited about this fresh new direction, we bring back HHH!"

Exec #2: "And then HBK too!"

Exec #1: "Oh man, they'll all die inside!"

Exec #2: "Wait, wait, not HBK.... Kevin Nash!"

Exec #1 (suddenly serious): "That's taking it too far, man. Let's stay realistic."
Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #4000
Mota
College Benchwarmer

So guys, who do you think they'll finally reveal to be the anonymous GM?